|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XVII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Henry like to find by looking into the eyes of a corpse?
(a) the answer to his big question
(b) if the soldier had any pain
(c) if he is a yankee or a rebel
(d) if he is still alive
2. What does Henry learn about other men in his regiment?
(a) They were ambushed and many of them killed.
(b) They had wanted to surrender.
(c) They, too, got separated and are returning.
(d) They had stayed at the front the longest.
3. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
(a) looking around for ways of escape
(b) quaking in their boots
(c) darting around to be more difficult targets
(d) mostly standing still as though tied to stakes
4. Why does Henry begin to think it would be better to be killed?
(a) to get some rest
(b) to escape his duty
(c) to teach a lesson to the lieutenant
(d) to have his troubles ended
5. What do the retreating men not see?
(a) the river blocking their way
(b) the trees in the woods
(c) the men of Henry's regiment
(d) the officers on horseback
Short Answer Questions
1. Instinctively, what does Henry feel about the future?
2. What does Henry's friend reply to his offer to help him walk?
3. What does Henry imagine himself doing sometime in the future?
4. What does Henry surmise as the men swarm toward where he is?
5. What happens when a huge swarm of soldiers retreats with stragglers heading every which way?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)