|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XVII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry first blame for his guilty condition?
(a) the man in front of him who ran
(b) the generals
2. Why does the lieutenant hold his hand away from his body?
(a) so everyone can see his wound
(b) so he can grab his pistol quickly
(c) so the blood wouldn't drip on his pants
(d) so the men will turn left
3. What is Henry's initial reaction to the results of his first battle?
(a) He wishes he had run away.
(b) He congratualtes himself on coming through it.
(c) He is in a daze and cannot think.
(d) He wishes for a way to go home.
4. What does one young man of the battalion do at the first volley?
(a) He stands up.
(b) He covers his head with both hands.
(c) He vomits.
(d) He runs.
5. What does Henry wonder about seeing?
(a) the monster from which all these men were fleeing
(b) the next sunrise
(c) the angel of death
(d) the bullet that will pierce his body
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's reply when the tattered man asks again about his wounds?
2. How does Henry rationalize his railing at nature while he was on the run?
3. How does Henry's pipe-smoking friend feel about long marches?
4. Who does Henry conclude would never rage at nature?
5. What destroys Henry's rationalization about nature prompting him to run?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)