|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question is Henry's first rationalization for his having run away?
(a) Didn't he stay close enough that no one would notice him?
(b) Wasn't saving himself the same as saving a piece of the army?
(c) Weren't there a lot of others who had run before he did?
(d) Hadn't the lieutenant ordered him to drop back?
2. At twilight after running aimlessly in the woods, what sound does Henry hear?
(a) the sound of cattle returning to their barns
(b) the sound of squirrels chattering in the trees
(c) the sound of singing and dnacing
(d) the sound of resuming battle
3. What does one young man of the battalion do at the first volley?
(a) He vomits.
(b) He stands up.
(c) He covers his head with both hands.
(d) He runs.
4. What follows the men returning from the battlefield?
(a) catcalls and bullets whizzing by their heads
(b) military ambulance wagons
(c) horses that have lost their riders
(d) stray dogs afraid of the noise
5. What unexpected action does Henry take?
(a) He circles around to get near the Rebel army.
(b) He climbs a tree to wait for the battle to come to him.
(c) He runs deeper into the woods.
(d) He starts running toward the battle sounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Running down the road, what is Henry trying to do?
2. How does Henry regard himself in comparison to the ones who stayed to fight?
3. What does Henry first blame for his guilty condition?
4. What do the Union soldiers do as the Rebels advance?
5. Who does Henry meet up with as he walks with the wounded?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)