|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry wipe his eyes with his coat sleeve?
(a) Tree bark popped into his eye.
(b) He doesn't have time to use a handkerchief.
(c) Sweat is running into his eyes.
(d) He doesn't believe what he is seeing.
2. What is distant and surreal in Henry's mind?
(a) that the war happens in his own country
(b) that officers hold his life in their hands
(c) that things go on as usual back at home
(d) that political differences can start a war
3. What warning does Henry's mother give her son?
(a) to be careful what he eats
(b) to watch the company he keeps
(c) to stay behind the lines
(d) to wash behind his ears
4. Where does Henry's mother think he could be put to better use than in the army?
(a) as a postman
(b) in a schoolroom
(c) on the farm
(d) in the navy
5. What rumor passing through the regiment begins the novel?
(a) that Lincoln has been shot
(b) that the war is over
(c) that they will fight tomorrow
(d) that Rebs have surrounded the camp
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry's mother do for him before he leaves?
2. What follows the men returning from the battlefield?
3. Against whom does Henry develop a particular anger?
4. What brings Henry out of his stupor?
5. How does Henry's pipe-smoking friend feel about long marches?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)