|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the retreating men not see?
(a) the men of Henry's regiment
(b) the trees in the woods
(c) the river blocking their way
(d) the officers on horseback
2. What is distant and surreal in Henry's mind?
(a) that officers hold his life in their hands
(b) that the war happens in his own country
(c) that political differences can start a war
(d) that things go on as usual back at home
3. What are the running and retreating soldiers seeking?
(a) places to take cover
(b) replacement soldiers
(c) comfort in numbers
(d) escape from the madness
4. How does Henry's question about his bravery continue?
(a) He makes a joke of the idea.
(b) He has terrible dreams of running away.
(c) He puts it all out of his mind.
(d) He tries to calculate the odds of his running away.
5. After walking around all morning, where does the regiment go?
(a) back to the original camp
(b) back to Washington D. C.
(c) over near the banks of a river
(d) back to the same ground it had taken in the morning
Short Answer Questions
1. What awakens Henry one morning?
2. What makes Henry believe that at last his chance to prove himself has come?
3. Against whom does Henry develop a particular anger?
4. How does the pipe-smoking friend try to encourage Henry?
5. What would Henry like to find by looking into the eyes of a corpse?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)