|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What follows the men returning from the battlefield?
(a) stray dogs afraid of the noise
(b) horses that have lost their riders
(c) military ambulance wagons
(d) catcalls and bullets whizzing by their heads
2. What warning does Henry's mother give her son?
(a) to stay behind the lines
(b) to be careful what he eats
(c) to watch the company he keeps
(d) to wash behind his ears
3. What does Henry see his mother doing as he turns to look back?
(a) praying and quivering
(b) waving good-bye
(c) hitching up the plow horse
(d) washing clothes
4. How are the troops feeling as they are still on the move?
(a) They can march like this for hours without resting.
(b) They are happy and singing.
(c) They have high hopes of reaching the front.
(d) The heat and fatigue are overwhelming,
5. What do the retreating men not see?
(a) the river blocking their way
(b) the trees in the woods
(c) the men of Henry's regiment
(d) the officers on horseback
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumor passing through the regiment begins the novel?
2. After the pipe smoking friend leaves Henry, how does he feel?
3. Running down the road, what is Henry trying to do?
4. What does one of Henry's tent mates ask him to do?
5. What makes it difficult for them to make out anything in front of them?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)