|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Henry asks one of the soldiers what is happening?
(a) He is cursed as a deserter.
(b) He gets hit in the head with a rifle butt.
(c) He is told to shut up and run.
(d) He gets stabbed with a bayonet.
2. Who do Henry and his friend overhear on the road?
(a) two of their regiment planning to desert
(b) the general and a major
(c) a wounded soldier begging another soldier to shoot him
(d) some Rebel officers
3. What other secret do Henry and his friend share?
(a) that not many of the regiment will survive the charge
(b) that they will get extra pay for the charge
(c) that after the charge they will be sent home
(d) that they will all receive medals for the charge
4. After the battle is over when Henry distinguished himself, what do he and his friend attempt to do?
(a) inspire the troops
(b) keep out of sight
(c) help a wounded soldier
(d) start a marching song
5. What destroys Henry's rationalization about nature prompting him to run?
(a) the sight of the dead man with the ants crawling over his skin
(b) a squirrel being eaten by a stray cat
(c) a rainstorm that comes up suddenly
(d) some wounded soldiers rejoicing over the victory
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry know that the Union forces had won this second battle?
2. Who do Henry and his friend tell what they have overheard?
3. What does Henry surmise as the men swarm toward where he is?
4. As Henry is observing the battle, what happens suddenly to frighten him?
5. What does Henry first blame for his guilty condition?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)