|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Alekeseyev and Sergetov leave the scene the helicopter crash?
2. An American soldier and Major Chapeyev are shot down in the same area, and Chapeyev attempts to take the American captive. What does the American ask the Chapeyev that dissuades him from doing so?
3. How does Morris communicate with the Russian prisoners from the sunken submarine?
4. In this section of the book, Sergetov questions a Russian soldier who has returned from the front. How is the soldier related to him?
5. When American forces attack the Keflavik air base, how many American planes do the Russians take down in their counter-attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is McCafferty frustrated with his actions against the Russians?
2. Give an example of a character who is concerned about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James. Why is the character concerned?
3. What does O'Malley say is significant about the military's refusal to use the word "killing"?
4. What prompts Sergetov to ask Georgiyevich if the war is a mistake?
5. How does Morris respond when the Battleaxe asks, "What the Devil is a Ruben James?"
6. Describe Edwards's and his men's actions when they realize they have been spotted by Russian forces.
7. How does O'Malley react after he sinks his first submarine?
8. How does Morris react when Calloway, an American reporter, sails with Morris's crew?
9. Why do Edwards and his men attack and kill five Russian soldiers at a local farmhouse?
10. Describe the after-effects of the Allies' defensive maneuver they call "Doolittle."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Red Storm Rising, Tom Clancy uses vivid imagery to create verbal pictures of the events in the book.
Part One) Examine the significance of imagery in establishing the reader's emotions toward the two opposing forces in the book.
Part Two) Analyze the role imagery plays in descriptions of different battles in the book.
Part Three) Present and support an argument about the use of imagery to indicate a bias in Red Storm Rising. Does Tom Clancy bias his readers toward one side or the other? How? If not, how does he present both sides equally?
Essay Topic 2
A predominant theme in Red Storm Rising is the feeling of shame, embarrassment, or humiliation. Numerous characters throughout the novel deal with those emotions, and each of them deals with their emotions in a different way. Choose three characters who experience shame, embarrassment, or humiliation, and compare and contrast their different responses to their circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
Major Chapeyev plays an interesting role in Red Storm Rising. Examine his interaction with the American pilot he shoots down over the Atlantic. Examine the development of Chapeyev's character during his experience with the downed American pilot. What is significant about how he and the other pilot treat each other? What does their interaction signify about the war as a whole? What do Chapeyev's actions reveal about him as a man?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)