|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to O'Malley that makes him relate to Morris's grief about the death of his men?
2. What causes a Russian soldier to locate Edwards and his men on the mountain?
3. Edwards and his group are supposed to reach a nearby mountain where they hope to be picked up. What are they supposed to do once they reach their destination?
4. What important thing does Edwards tell Vigdis about his feelings toward her before they are rescued?
5. In Chapters 35-39, McCafferty scores a hit by sinking which vessel?
Essay Topic 1
Major Chapeyev plays an interesting role in Red Storm Rising. Examine his interaction with the American pilot he shoots down over the Atlantic. Examine the development of Chapeyev's character during his experience with the downed American pilot. What is significant about how he and the other pilot treat each other? What does their interaction signify about the war as a whole? What do Chapeyev's actions reveal about him as a man?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the structure and political maneuvering of the Russian government through Red Storm Rising's plot. After establishing the style, structure, and function of the Russian government, analyze how those elements influence the outcome of the Red Storm offensive. If the country's government was structured differently, would the outcome of the war have been the same? Be sure to support each point with a specific example from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The importance of oil in Red Storm Rising can not be understated. Trace the importance of oil throughout the plot of the book. How does oil, or the lack of it, contribute to the onset, perpetuation, and end of the war? Be sure to include examples from the beginning, middle, and end of the novel.
This section contains 1,685 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)