|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl Edwards and his men take with them when they leave the village?
2. Terry Mackell has great success locating tanks with what kind of instrument?
3. When Calloway interviews O'Malley about sinking the submarine, what does O'Malley point out about the American military?
4. How does O'Malley try to help Morris deal with the deaths of the men on the Pharris?
5. While Edwards is communicating with command about an attack on the Keflavik airfield, two important areas of the base are destroyed. What are they?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do the crews of the Ruben James and the Battleaxe get along?
2. Why do Edwards and his men attack and kill five Russian soldiers at a local farmhouse?
3. When Alekeseyev and Sergetov discuss the offensive in Germany, do they decide that the war is going well, or that it is going poorly?
4. What response does Edwards provide when warned about how "tough" the 200-mile hike to Hvammsfjordur will be?
5. Describe Edwards's and his men's actions when they realize they have been spotted by Russian forces.
6. How does Morris respond when the Battleaxe asks, "What the Devil is a Ruben James?"
7. Why is Vigdis's pregnancy not unusual in Icelandic society?
8. What does O'Malley say is significant about the military's refusal to use the word "killing"?
9. After the Pharris sinks a Russian submarine, how does Morris treat the Russian sailors he captures?
10. Give an example of a character who is concerned about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James. Why is the character concerned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the structure and political maneuvering of the Russian government through Red Storm Rising's plot. After establishing the style, structure, and function of the Russian government, analyze how those elements influence the outcome of the Red Storm offensive. If the country's government was structured differently, would the outcome of the war have been the same? Be sure to support each point with a specific example from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The importance of oil in Red Storm Rising can not be understated. Trace the importance of oil throughout the plot of the book. How does oil, or the lack of it, contribute to the onset, perpetuation, and end of the war? Be sure to include examples from the beginning, middle, and end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Alekseyev and the elder Sergetov are vital to the Russian offensive. While both men are equally important to Russia in the novel, their characters are extremely different. Compare and contrast the personalities of both Alekseyev and Sergetov. Include various aspects of their personality, their individual style of leadership, their views of Russia, and their sentiments about the war.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)