|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this section of the book, Sergetov questions a Russian soldier who has returned from the front. How is the soldier related to him?
2. What happens to the Pharris in chapter 27?
3. Doghouse tells Edwards and his men are told to "take a little hike." Where are they supposed to go?
4. When American forces attack the Keflavik air base, how many American planes do the Russians take down in their counter-attack?
5. What honor does Morris receive once he is back on American soil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of Red Storm Rising, the Russian government repeatedly attempts to make themselves appear more powerful than they really are. Examine how that tendency influences the war from the onset of the offensive to the conclusion of the conflict. Is Russia's determination to appear strong at all times accomplish anything positive for the country?
Essay Topic 2
Red Storm Rising was published in the midst of the Cold War. How did the Cold War influence the plot of the novel? What parallels exist between events in the book and events during the Cold War? What differences are there? How do the sentiments of American characters toward Russia reflect American sentiment toward Russia during the Cold War? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
The concept of pride and honor is important to many different characters in Red Storm Rising. Choose three individuals who value the concepts of honor and pride. Consider how those concepts influence the characters' actions. Compare and contrast the three individuals' concepts of pride and honor. Does each individual have the same concept of honor? How does each individuals' commitment to behaving with honor influence their actions in the book?
This section contains 1,623 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)