|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the Pharris, Morris realizes that the loss of the Keflavik air base is more significant than he once anticipated. Why?
2. While the Russian soldiers are looking for Edwards and his men, what happens to distract them?
3. Before Morris sails from New York Harbor, he is joined by a reporter. What is the reporter's name?
4. What is unusual about McCafferty's kill in chapters 35-39?
5. What does Morris do to gain information from the Russian prisoners about the whereabouts of other vessels?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Edwards's and his men's actions when they realize they have been spotted by Russian forces.
2. What happens to the helicopter Alekeseyev and Sergetov are on in Germany, and what do the men do afterward?
3. What does Sergetov's son say when his father questions him about the war?
4. After the Pharris sinks a Russian submarine, how does Morris treat the Russian sailors he captures?
5. Describe the after-effects of the Allies' defensive maneuver they call "Doolittle."
6. Why is Vigdis's pregnancy not unusual in Icelandic society?
7. Give an example of a character who is concerned about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James. Why is the character concerned?
8. Why does Morris treat the captured Russian sailors so well?
9. Why is Edwards berated after the incident at the farmhouse?
10. Why does Morris have to arrange for a tug boat to haul the Pharris back to shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two opposing sides of the conflict in Red Storm Rising each have an overarching plan for victory. The Soviet government places a great deal of emphasis on the element of surprise, and the Allied forces focus extensively on cooperation and unity in the face of the Russian threat. Examine the two sides' different ideals and how each side believes their concept will help them win the war. Which side is most effective in keeping to their plan? How did each concept play into the end of the war?
Essay Topic 2
During the extensive military action that takes place in Red Storm Rising, numerous characters either sink enemy vessels, shoot down enemy air craft, or witness the destruction of enemy targets. Each character, though, reacts to their kill in different ways. Choose three of the following characters and compare and contrast their responses to destroying enemy targets. Be sure to address the characters' emotional responses, their mental state after their kills, and the long-term effect their kills have on them. Characters include:
5) Robert Toland
Essay Topic 3
Russia's history during World War II plays an important role in the development of Red Storm. Briefly explain Russia's past conflict with Germany, then trace the significance of that history throughout the book's plot. How does the Russian government manipulate the country's past enmity with Germany to serve its own purpose?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)