Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Morris arrives in Boston, to what city is he sent?
2. The men that escape the sunken submarine are captured and taken on board the Pharris. How are they treated?
3. Morris and his new crew work with another ship to sink an enemy submarine. What is the other ship's name?
4. After O'Malley sinks his first live submarine, what does he say about his feelings?
5. Before O'Malley sank the submarine, what role did he play as a helicopter pilot?
Red Storm Rising was published in the midst of the Cold War. It includes many elements of Cold War politics, technological advances, and plays on many emotions and fears commonly held by people during the Cold War era. For a novel that is so time-specific, is Red Storm Rising still culturally significant today?
A predominant theme in Red Storm Rising is the feeling of shame, embarrassment, or humiliation. Numerous characters throughout the novel deal with those emotions, and each of them deals with their emotions in a different way. Choose three characters who experience shame, embarrassment, or humiliation, and compare and contrast their different responses to their circumstances.
The importance of oil in Red Storm Rising can not be understated. Trace the importance of oil throughout the plot of the book. How does oil, or the lack of it, contribute to the onset, perpetuation, and end of the war? Be sure to include examples from the beginning, middle, and end of the novel.
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)