|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. McCafferty fires three torpedoes at a Russian convoy, but is unable to confirm a hit. Why?
2. What is the full name of the captain of the Battleaxe?
3. On the Pharris, Morris realizes that the loss of the Keflavik air base is more significant than he once anticipated. Why?
4. What causes a Russian soldier to locate Edwards and his men on the mountain?
5. An American soldier and Major Chapeyev are shot down in the same area, and Chapeyev attempts to take the American captive. What does the American ask the Chapeyev that dissuades him from doing so?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Edwards and his men attack and kill five Russian soldiers at a local farmhouse?
2. Describe Edwards's and his men's actions when they realize they have been spotted by Russian forces.
3. What contributes to Edwards's decision to relocate his men a second time?
4. When Alekeseyev and Sergetov discuss the offensive in Germany, do they decide that the war is going well, or that it is going poorly?
5. What response does Edwards provide when warned about how "tough" the 200-mile hike to Hvammsfjordur will be?
6. After the Pharris sinks a Russian submarine, how does Morris treat the Russian sailors he captures?
7. Why does Morris have to arrange for a tug boat to haul the Pharris back to shore?
8. Why is McCafferty frustrated with his actions against the Russians?
9. What honors does Morris receive once he reaches Norfolk?
10. What does Sergetov's son say when his father questions him about the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Russia's history during World War II plays an important role in the development of Red Storm. Briefly explain Russia's past conflict with Germany, then trace the significance of that history throughout the book's plot. How does the Russian government manipulate the country's past enmity with Germany to serve its own purpose?
Essay Topic 2
The importance of oil in Red Storm Rising can not be understated. Trace the importance of oil throughout the plot of the book. How does oil, or the lack of it, contribute to the onset, perpetuation, and end of the war? Be sure to include examples from the beginning, middle, and end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Alekseyev and the elder Sergetov are vital to the Russian offensive. While both men are equally important to Russia in the novel, their characters are extremely different. Compare and contrast the personalities of both Alekseyev and Sergetov. Include various aspects of their personality, their individual style of leadership, their views of Russia, and their sentiments about the war.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)