|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What British town houses the USS Nimitz while it is repaired and prepared for service?
2. What happens to the Pharris in chapter 27?
3. When Calloway interviews O'Malley about sinking the submarine, what does O'Malley point out about the American military?
4. What do Edwards and his men do when they realize that they have been located by the Russians on the mountain?
5. What do Alekeseyev and Sergetov conclude about the Russian offensive in Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response does Edwards provide when warned about how "tough" the 200-mile hike to Hvammsfjordur will be?
2. What happens to the helicopter Alekeseyev and Sergetov are on in Germany, and what do the men do afterward?
3. What contributes to Edwards's decision to relocate his men a second time?
4. What does O'Malley say is significant about the military's refusal to use the word "killing"?
5. After the Pharris sinks a Russian submarine, how does Morris treat the Russian sailors he captures?
6. Do the crews of the Ruben James and the Battleaxe get along?
7. Why does Morris treat the captured Russian sailors so well?
8. Why is McCafferty frustrated with his actions against the Russians?
9. Why do Edwards and his men attack and kill five Russian soldiers at a local farmhouse?
10. Why is Vigdis's pregnancy not unusual in Icelandic society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Russia's history during World War II plays an important role in the development of Red Storm. Briefly explain Russia's past conflict with Germany, then trace the significance of that history throughout the book's plot. How does the Russian government manipulate the country's past enmity with Germany to serve its own purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Red Storm Rising, Tom Clancy uses vivid imagery to create verbal pictures of the events in the book.
Part One) Examine the significance of imagery in establishing the reader's emotions toward the two opposing forces in the book.
Part Two) Analyze the role imagery plays in descriptions of different battles in the book.
Part Three) Present and support an argument about the use of imagery to indicate a bias in Red Storm Rising. Does Tom Clancy bias his readers toward one side or the other? How? If not, how does he present both sides equally?
Essay Topic 3
The importance of technology is a recurring theme throughout Red Storm Rising. Examine the importance of technology in each military's battle plans. Do advances in technology give a leading edge to one army or the other? Are there any battle plans that do not rely heavily on technology? Which plans rely most on technology? How would the outcome of the war be affected if technology were not so prevalent in the Allied forces' plans?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)