|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the Pharris, Morris realizes that the loss of the Keflavik air base is more significant than he once anticipated. Why?
2. Terry Mackell has great success locating tanks with what kind of instrument?
3. What is the name of Georgiyevich's driver?
4. What new job is Morris given once he is back in the States?
5. Before O'Malley sank the submarine, what role did he play as a helicopter pilot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sergetov's son say when his father questions him about the war?
2. Why is McCafferty frustrated with his actions against the Russians?
3. What prompts Sergetov to ask Georgiyevich if the war is a mistake?
4. What honors does Morris receive once he reaches Norfolk?
5. Describe the interaction between the Russian and American pilots who end up near each other in the ocean after an air fight.
6. Why does Morris treat the captured Russian sailors so well?
7. Explain how all reports given to the Politburo are divided and organized.
8. How does O'Malley react after he sinks his first submarine?
9. Describe Edwards's and his men's actions when they realize they have been spotted by Russian forces.
10. Why is Edwards berated after the incident at the farmhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Red Storm Rising was published in the midst of the Cold War. It includes many elements of Cold War politics, technological advances, and plays on many emotions and fears commonly held by people during the Cold War era. For a novel that is so time-specific, is Red Storm Rising still culturally significant today?
Essay Topic 2
A recurring theme in Red Storm Rising is stress and its effects on different individuals. Examine the effects of stress on Morris, Edwards, Vigdis, and Alekseyev. Compare and contrast how each individual deals with their circumstances. Does one character in particular deal with stress better than the other three? Who seems to have the most effective means of dealing with their stress? Conclude your essay with an examination of how stress plays into the development of the war as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
The concept of pride and honor is important to many different characters in Red Storm Rising. Choose three individuals who value the concepts of honor and pride. Consider how those concepts influence the characters' actions. Compare and contrast the three individuals' concepts of pride and honor. Does each individual have the same concept of honor? How does each individuals' commitment to behaving with honor influence their actions in the book?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)