|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Morris arrives in Boston, to what city is he sent?
2. The men that escape the sunken submarine are captured and taken on board the Pharris. How are they treated?
3. Morris and his new crew work with another ship to sink an enemy submarine. What is the other ship's name?
4. After O'Malley sinks his first live submarine, what does he say about his feelings?
5. Before O'Malley sank the submarine, what role did he play as a helicopter pilot?
Essay Topic 1
Red Storm Rising was published in the midst of the Cold War. How did the Cold War influence the plot of the novel? What parallels exist between events in the book and events during the Cold War? What differences are there? How do the sentiments of American characters toward Russia reflect American sentiment toward Russia during the Cold War? Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
When the term "Red Storm" is introduced, it is described as a "plan for a mechanized attack into West Germany and the Low Countries." The offensive is supposed to last no more than a few weeks and is to rely heavily on the element of surprise. Does the initial plan for Red Storm seem reasonable? Develop an argument either supporting Red Storm as it is originally introduced, or against it. If you argue for Red Storm, explain why that plan is the best possible plan. If you argue against it, provide an alternate plan for attack.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the structure and political maneuvering of the Russian government through Red Storm Rising's plot. After establishing the style, structure, and function of the Russian government, analyze how those elements influence the outcome of the Red Storm offensive. If the country's government was structured differently, would the outcome of the war have been the same? Be sure to support each point with a specific example from the novel.
This section contains 1,635 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)