|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. An American soldier and Major Chapeyev are shot down in the same area, and Chapeyev attempts to take the American captive. What does the American ask the Chapeyev that dissuades him from doing so?
2. After O'Malley sinks his first submarine, Morris asks him when he'll be ready to fly again. What does he say?
3. How many men escape the submarine that the Pharris sinks?
4. What happens at a local farmhouse when Edwards and his men prepare to ask for food?
5. Doghouse tells Edwards and his men are told to "take a little hike." Where are they supposed to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response does Edwards provide when warned about how "tough" the 200-mile hike to Hvammsfjordur will be?
2. Why does Morris treat the captured Russian sailors so well?
3. How does Morris respond when the Battleaxe asks, "What the Devil is a Ruben James?"
4. After the Pharris sinks a Russian submarine, how does Morris treat the Russian sailors he captures?
5. What contributes to Edwards's decision to relocate his men a second time?
6. Why is Vigdis's pregnancy not unusual in Icelandic society?
7. Do the crews of the Ruben James and the Battleaxe get along?
8. Describe the after-effects of the Allies' defensive maneuver they call "Doolittle."
9. Explain how all reports given to the Politburo are divided and organized.
10. What happens to the helicopter Alekeseyev and Sergetov are on in Germany, and what do the men do afterward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Red Storm Rising, Tom Clancy uses vivid imagery to create verbal pictures of the events in the book.
Part One) Examine the significance of imagery in establishing the reader's emotions toward the two opposing forces in the book.
Part Two) Analyze the role imagery plays in descriptions of different battles in the book.
Part Three) Present and support an argument about the use of imagery to indicate a bias in Red Storm Rising. Does Tom Clancy bias his readers toward one side or the other? How? If not, how does he present both sides equally?
Essay Topic 2
A predominant theme in Red Storm Rising is the feeling of shame, embarrassment, or humiliation. Numerous characters throughout the novel deal with those emotions, and each of them deals with their emotions in a different way. Choose three characters who experience shame, embarrassment, or humiliation, and compare and contrast their different responses to their circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
Alekseyev and the elder Sergetov are vital to the Russian offensive. While both men are equally important to Russia in the novel, their characters are extremely different. Compare and contrast the personalities of both Alekseyev and Sergetov. Include various aspects of their personality, their individual style of leadership, their views of Russia, and their sentiments about the war.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)