|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens that leads to Chernyavin's discovery and arrest?
2. What was the message of the movie that was televised the night before the attack on the Kremlin?
3. What is Toland's first order of business once he reaches safety?
4. What is the code name of Russia's military offensive?
5. While the American military waits to confirm a plan to down Soviet satellites, something happens that sets back the operation. What happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sergetov's son say when his father questions him about the war?
2. Why does Sergetov become enraged at the funeral of the victims of the Kremlin explosion?
3. Give an example of a character who is concerned about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James. Why is the character concerned?
4. What does the younger Sergetov discover on his scouting expedition?
5. How does Toland get information from Major Chapeyev about the reason for the war?
6. Who is Robert Toland?
7. Are the men who are stationed at Keflavik, Iceland, happy with their post?
8. What is Chernyavin doing in Germany?
9. Why does Chernyavin fail in his mission?
10. Describe the actions Edwards and his men take immediately after the attack on the Icelandic air base.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of pride and honor is important to many different characters in Red Storm Rising. Choose three individuals who value the concepts of honor and pride. Consider how those concepts influence the characters' actions. Compare and contrast the three individuals' concepts of pride and honor. Does each individual have the same concept of honor? How does each individuals' commitment to behaving with honor influence their actions in the book?
Essay Topic 2
When the term "Red Storm" is introduced, it is described as a "plan for a mechanized attack into West Germany and the Low Countries." The offensive is supposed to last no more than a few weeks and is to rely heavily on the element of surprise. Does the initial plan for Red Storm seem reasonable? Develop an argument either supporting Red Storm as it is originally introduced, or against it. If you argue for Red Storm, explain why that plan is the best possible plan. If you argue against it, provide an alternate plan for attack.
Essay Topic 3
Red Storm Rising was published in the midst of the Cold War. It includes many elements of Cold War politics, technological advances, and plays on many emotions and fears commonly held by people during the Cold War era. For a novel that is so time-specific, is Red Storm Rising still culturally significant today?
This section contains 2,170 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)