|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does First Lieutenant Mike Edwards stay to monitor the situation at the air base?
2. What are Edwards and his men told to do if they find themselves in danger?
3. While the Russians prepare for their offensive, four generals are court-martialed and shot. What are they accused of?
4. What happens to Chernyavin after he is caught?
5. What is notable about the "terrorist's" statement that angers Toland's superiors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Toland suspect about the explosion in the Kremlin?
2. What happens to Chernyavin's men after Chernyavin is detained and questioned?
3. What is "Red Storm?"
4. What does the captain of the Julius Fucik do when the ship is discovered by the U.S. Navy?
5. What are some obstacles Edwards and his men face once they escape the air base?
6. What is the Julius Fucik, and how does it fit into Russia's secretive plans for war?
7. Who is Robert Toland?
8. Who escapes the air base after the Russians take over?
9. What is suspicious about the confession of the alleged terrorist who claims responsibility for the attack on the Kremlin?
10. Why does Chernyavin fail in his mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vigdis is a major character in Red Storm Rising, and her pregnancy lends an interesting dimension to the book. Explain why Vigdis's pregnancy is so significant. What is its symbolism? What does her pregnancy indicate about the nature of life, and the nature of war? How does Vigdis's pregnancy affect her and those around her?
Essay Topic 2
Red Storm Rising was published in the midst of the Cold War. How did the Cold War influence the plot of the novel? What parallels exist between events in the book and events during the Cold War? What differences are there? How do the sentiments of American characters toward Russia reflect American sentiment toward Russia during the Cold War? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
Major Chapeyev plays an interesting role in Red Storm Rising. Examine his interaction with the American pilot he shoots down over the Atlantic. Examine the development of Chapeyev's character during his experience with the downed American pilot. What is significant about how he and the other pilot treat each other? What does their interaction signify about the war as a whole? What do Chapeyev's actions reveal about him as a man?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)