|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The U.S. fires on the Julius Fucik, but are unable to sink the boat. What does the captain of the ship do?
2. Almost immediately after Toland reveals what he knows, his status in the military changes. What happens?
3. Once the men have rejoined Chernyavin, they blow up the van they were in. How?
4. Why is the Russian Foreign Minister's speech so significant?
5. What happens that leads to Chernyavin's discovery and arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how all reports given to the Politburo are divided and organized.
2. Describe the interaction between the Russian and American pilots who end up near each other in the ocean after an air fight.
3. Why does the Russian Foreign Minister place so much emphasis on his proposal for arms reduction?
4. What honors does Morris receive once he reaches Norfolk?
5. What does Alekeseyev say when he is asked to analyze the pros and cons of using nuclear weapons in the war?
6. What is "Red Storm?"
7. Describe Edwards's and his men's actions when they realize they have been spotted by Russian forces.
8. What are the effects of the execution of four generals in the Russian army?
9. What happens to the helicopter Alekeseyev and Sergetov are on in Germany, and what do the men do afterward?
10. Is Edwards suited to the stress of his situation?
Essay Topic 1
Major Chapeyev plays an interesting role in Red Storm Rising. Examine his interaction with the American pilot he shoots down over the Atlantic. Examine the development of Chapeyev's character during his experience with the downed American pilot. What is significant about how he and the other pilot treat each other? What does their interaction signify about the war as a whole? What do Chapeyev's actions reveal about him as a man?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Red Storm Rising, Tom Clancy uses vivid imagery to create verbal pictures of the events in the book.
Part One) Examine the significance of imagery in establishing the reader's emotions toward the two opposing forces in the book.
Part Two) Analyze the role imagery plays in descriptions of different battles in the book.
Part Three) Present and support an argument about the use of imagery to indicate a bias in Red Storm Rising. Does Tom Clancy bias his readers toward one side or the other? How? If not, how does he present both sides equally?
Essay Topic 3
Alekseyev and the elder Sergetov are vital to the Russian offensive. While both men are equally important to Russia in the novel, their characters are extremely different. Compare and contrast the personalities of both Alekseyev and Sergetov. Include various aspects of their personality, their individual style of leadership, their views of Russia, and their sentiments about the war.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)