|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers the refinery fire?
2. What boat is Toland on when the Russians attack?
3. What is the full name of the author of the article about the importance of the Russian oil fields?
4. A Russian soldier named Chernyavin is in Germany. He is disguised as what kind of person?
5. As he listens to the eulogy for the Russian victims, what does Toland notice about the speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some clues Robert Toland finds that hint that Russia is preparing for an offensive?
2. What does the Russian Navy do to make Patrick Flynn suspicious about the Russian arms reduction?
3. Why does Chernyavin fail in his mission?
4. Why does one of Chernyavin's men blow up the van they traveled in?
5. Is Edwards suited to the stress of his situation?
6. What are some obstacles Edwards and his men face once they escape the air base?
7. Describe the actions Edwards and his men take immediately after the attack on the Icelandic air base.
8. What happens to Robert Toland after he alerts military officials to the situation in Russia?
9. What happens to Chernyavin's men after Chernyavin is detained and questioned?
10. Why does the Russian Foreign Minister place so much emphasis on his proposal for arms reduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two opposing sides of the conflict in Red Storm Rising each have an overarching plan for victory. The Soviet government places a great deal of emphasis on the element of surprise, and the Allied forces focus extensively on cooperation and unity in the face of the Russian threat. Examine the two sides' different ideals and how each side believes their concept will help them win the war. Which side is most effective in keeping to their plan? How did each concept play into the end of the war?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of pride and honor is important to many different characters in Red Storm Rising. Choose three individuals who value the concepts of honor and pride. Consider how those concepts influence the characters' actions. Compare and contrast the three individuals' concepts of pride and honor. Does each individual have the same concept of honor? How does each individuals' commitment to behaving with honor influence their actions in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Several women play important roles in the development of Red Storm Rising. Women like Toland's wife, Vigdis, and Amy Nakamura are as vital to the plot's development as their male counterparts. Examine women's role in Red Storm Rising and their significance in the story. How are the women similar to their male counterparts? How are they different? How does each woman interact with those around her? What does each woman reveal about the men around them?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)