|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What clue does Toland discover that indicates Russia's instability?
2. What happens to the military personnel in the Keflavik air base?
3. What does Sergetov tell the Politburo about the state of Russian affairs?
4. Alekeseyev is promised that the Russian Navy can achieve a certain goal. What is it?
5. What was the message of the movie that was televised the night before the attack on the Kremlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. An AP news correspondent in Moscow does not reveal the true cause of the oil refinery fire. What does he say happened, and how does he report the fire was extinguished?
2. What are some reasons that the destruction of the oil refinery in Nizhnevartovsk so significant to the Russians?
3. What are some obstacles Edwards and his men face once they escape the air base?
4. Why does one of Chernyavin's men blow up the van they traveled in?
5. Why does Sergetov become enraged at the funeral of the victims of the Kremlin explosion?
6. What are the effects of the execution of four generals in the Russian army?
7. What does Toland notice about the eulogy for the victims of the explosion at the Kremlin?
8. What are some clues Robert Toland finds that hint that Russia is preparing for an offensive?
9. Who is Robert Toland?
10. What is the Julius Fucik, and how does it fit into Russia's secretive plans for war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of pride and honor is important to many different characters in Red Storm Rising. Choose three individuals who value the concepts of honor and pride. Consider how those concepts influence the characters' actions. Compare and contrast the three individuals' concepts of pride and honor. Does each individual have the same concept of honor? How does each individuals' commitment to behaving with honor influence their actions in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Major Chapeyev plays an interesting role in Red Storm Rising. Examine his interaction with the American pilot he shoots down over the Atlantic. Examine the development of Chapeyev's character during his experience with the downed American pilot. What is significant about how he and the other pilot treat each other? What does their interaction signify about the war as a whole? What do Chapeyev's actions reveal about him as a man?
Essay Topic 3
The importance of technology is a recurring theme throughout Red Storm Rising. Examine the importance of technology in each military's battle plans. Do advances in technology give a leading edge to one army or the other? Are there any battle plans that do not rely heavily on technology? Which plans rely most on technology? How would the outcome of the war be affected if technology were not so prevalent in the Allied forces' plans?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)