|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Russia does something to indicate that they are reducing their nuclear arms. What do they do?
2. Toland is a reservist and serves his time with the commander of a ship. What is the commander's name?
3. What kind of vessel does the USS Pharris sink?
4. What does Sergetov note about the Politburo's decision to go to war for oil?
5. At the funeral, Sergetov is enraged by the loss of life that resulted from the explosion. He is also angry because of what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some clues Robert Toland finds that hint that Russia is preparing for an offensive?
2. What are the effects of the execution of four generals in the Russian army?
3. Why does one of Chernyavin's men blow up the van they traveled in?
4. What are some obstacles Edwards and his men face once they escape the air base?
5. What is the Julius Fucik, and how does it fit into Russia's secretive plans for war?
6. What happens to Chernyavin's men after Chernyavin is detained and questioned?
7. Why does the Russian Foreign Minister place so much emphasis on his proposal for arms reduction?
8. What does the Russian Navy do to make Patrick Flynn suspicious about the Russian arms reduction?
9. Who is Robert Toland?
10. Why does Sergetov become enraged at the funeral of the victims of the Kremlin explosion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the structure and political maneuvering of the Russian government through Red Storm Rising's plot. After establishing the style, structure, and function of the Russian government, analyze how those elements influence the outcome of the Red Storm offensive. If the country's government was structured differently, would the outcome of the war have been the same? Be sure to support each point with a specific example from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
A predominant theme in Red Storm Rising is the feeling of shame, embarrassment, or humiliation. Numerous characters throughout the novel deal with those emotions, and each of them deals with their emotions in a different way. Choose three characters who experience shame, embarrassment, or humiliation, and compare and contrast their different responses to their circumstances.
Essay Topic 3
A recurring theme in Red Storm Rising is stress and its effects on different individuals. Examine the effects of stress on Morris, Edwards, Vigdis, and Alekseyev. Compare and contrast how each individual deals with their circumstances. Does one character in particular deal with stress better than the other three? Who seems to have the most effective means of dealing with their stress? Conclude your essay with an examination of how stress plays into the development of the war as a whole.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)