|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Almost immediately after Toland reveals what he knows, his status in the military changes. What happens?
2. As Chernyavin's men are traveling, they find themselves face-to-face with a tank. They then hear Chernyavin's voice telling them to surrender themselves. Why does this surprise them?
3. What is the name of the man who escapes the Keflavik air base and uses a radio to spread news of the attack?
4. What is the full name of the adviser to the Russian government, who specializes in energy production?
5. When Toland is recalled to duty and is preparing to leave his home, he hears a news report about something that occurs at the Kremlin. What was it?
Short Essay Questions
1. An AP news correspondent in Moscow does not reveal the true cause of the oil refinery fire. What does he say happened, and how does he report the fire was extinguished?
2. What happens to Robert Toland after he alerts military officials to the situation in Russia?
3. What is the Julius Fucik, and how does it fit into Russia's secretive plans for war?
4. Why does the Politburo decide to go to war for oil?
5. Why does one of Chernyavin's men blow up the van they traveled in?
6. What is "Red Storm?"
7. How are the Russians' missiles damaged?
8. Why does the Russian Foreign Minister place so much emphasis on his proposal for arms reduction?
9. What are some clues Robert Toland finds that hint that Russia is preparing for an offensive?
10. Why does Chernyavin fail in his mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Red Storm Rising, Tom Clancy uses vivid imagery to create verbal pictures of the events in the book.
Part One) Examine the significance of imagery in establishing the reader's emotions toward the two opposing forces in the book.
Part Two) Analyze the role imagery plays in descriptions of different battles in the book.
Part Three) Present and support an argument about the use of imagery to indicate a bias in Red Storm Rising. Does Tom Clancy bias his readers toward one side or the other? How? If not, how does he present both sides equally?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of pride and honor is important to many different characters in Red Storm Rising. Choose three individuals who value the concepts of honor and pride. Consider how those concepts influence the characters' actions. Compare and contrast the three individuals' concepts of pride and honor. Does each individual have the same concept of honor? How does each individuals' commitment to behaving with honor influence their actions in the book?
Essay Topic 3
A recurring theme in Red Storm Rising is stress and its effects on different individuals. Examine the effects of stress on Morris, Edwards, Vigdis, and Alekseyev. Compare and contrast how each individual deals with their circumstances. Does one character in particular deal with stress better than the other three? Who seems to have the most effective means of dealing with their stress? Conclude your essay with an examination of how stress plays into the development of the war as a whole.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)