|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sergetov note about the Politburo's decision to go to war for oil?
2. What code name is given to Edwards?
3. Who discovers the refinery fire?
4. What are Edwards and his men told to do if they find themselves in danger?
5. Command asks Edwards a series of questions to confirm his identity. One question makes him so angry he refuses to answer. What was it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the actions Edwards and his men take immediately after the attack on the Icelandic air base.
2. How are the Russians' missiles damaged?
3. What is Chernyavin doing in Germany?
4. Who is Robert Toland?
5. What does Toland notice about the eulogy for the victims of the explosion at the Kremlin?
6. Why does one of Chernyavin's men blow up the van they traveled in?
7. What are some obstacles Edwards and his men face once they escape the air base?
8. Is Edwards suited to the stress of his situation?
9. Who escapes the air base after the Russians take over?
10. What is the Julius Fucik, and how does it fit into Russia's secretive plans for war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several women play important roles in the development of Red Storm Rising. Women like Toland's wife, Vigdis, and Amy Nakamura are as vital to the plot's development as their male counterparts. Examine women's role in Red Storm Rising and their significance in the story. How are the women similar to their male counterparts? How are they different? How does each woman interact with those around her? What does each woman reveal about the men around them?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the structure and political maneuvering of the Russian government through Red Storm Rising's plot. After establishing the style, structure, and function of the Russian government, analyze how those elements influence the outcome of the Red Storm offensive. If the country's government was structured differently, would the outcome of the war have been the same? Be sure to support each point with a specific example from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Major Chapeyev plays an interesting role in Red Storm Rising. Examine his interaction with the American pilot he shoots down over the Atlantic. Examine the development of Chapeyev's character during his experience with the downed American pilot. What is significant about how he and the other pilot treat each other? What does their interaction signify about the war as a whole? What do Chapeyev's actions reveal about him as a man?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)