|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship Toland's commanding officer is in charge of?
2. Command asks Edwards a series of questions to confirm his identity. One question makes him so angry he refuses to answer. What was it?
3. What is Toland's first order of business once he reaches safety?
4. Highly-trained Russian forces begin fighting on the ground in Germany. What is the special title of those forces?
5. An AP Moscow Correspondent publishes a new story about the Nizhnevartovskv oil refinery fire. What does it say caused the explosion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Nimitz, the ship Toland is aboard during a Russian attack?
2. Why does the captain of the Julius Fucik ground the ship after the attack on the Icelandic air base?
3. What is suspicious about the confession of the alleged terrorist who claims responsibility for the attack on the Kremlin?
4. Why does Chernyavin fail in his mission?
5. Who escapes the air base after the Russians take over?
6. What are some obstacles Edwards and his men face once they escape the air base?
7. Are the men who are stationed at Keflavik, Iceland, happy with their post?
8. How are the Russians' missiles damaged?
9. What happens to Robert Toland after he alerts military officials to the situation in Russia?
10. Why does Sergetov become enraged at the funeral of the victims of the Kremlin explosion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The importance of oil in Red Storm Rising can not be understated. Trace the importance of oil throughout the plot of the book. How does oil, or the lack of it, contribute to the onset, perpetuation, and end of the war? Be sure to include examples from the beginning, middle, and end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Major Chapeyev plays an interesting role in Red Storm Rising. Examine his interaction with the American pilot he shoots down over the Atlantic. Examine the development of Chapeyev's character during his experience with the downed American pilot. What is significant about how he and the other pilot treat each other? What does their interaction signify about the war as a whole? What do Chapeyev's actions reveal about him as a man?
Essay Topic 3
Red Storm Rising was published in the midst of the Cold War. How did the Cold War influence the plot of the novel? What parallels exist between events in the book and events during the Cold War? What differences are there? How do the sentiments of American characters toward Russia reflect American sentiment toward Russia during the Cold War? Be specific.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)