|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Almost immediately after Toland reveals what he knows, his status in the military changes. What happens?
2. A Russian military official analyzes the readiness of the Russian military. What is that man's name?
3. Why is it unsafe for Edwards to stay at his surveillance location?
4. While the American military waits to confirm a plan to down Soviet satellites, something happens that sets back the operation. What happens?
5. After the Russians have gained control of the air base, what is their one significant problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Edwards suited to the stress of his situation?
2. What response does Edwards provide when warned about how "tough" the 200-mile hike to Hvammsfjordur will be?
3. Why is Edwards berated after the incident at the farmhouse?
4. Explain how all reports given to the Politburo are divided and organized.
5. Why does one of Chernyavin's men blow up the van they traveled in?
6. What honors does Morris receive once he reaches Norfolk?
7. Give an example of a character who is concerned about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James. Why is the character concerned?
8. Why is McCafferty frustrated with his actions against the Russians?
9. What does Sergetov's son say when his father questions him about the war?
10. Describe Edwards's and his men's actions when they realize they have been spotted by Russian forces.
Essay Topic 1
The two opposing sides of the conflict in Red Storm Rising each have an overarching plan for victory. The Soviet government places a great deal of emphasis on the element of surprise, and the Allied forces focus extensively on cooperation and unity in the face of the Russian threat. Examine the two sides' different ideals and how each side believes their concept will help them win the war. Which side is most effective in keeping to their plan? How did each concept play into the end of the war?
Essay Topic 2
Near the end of the offensive in Red Storm Rising, Alekseyev feels very strongly that nuclear weapons should not be used in the conflict lest it spark a deadly nuclear exchange with Allied countries. Examine Alekseyev's thought process as he arrives at that conclusion. What is the significance of Alekseyev's reluctance to use nuclear weapons? How does the inclusion of Alekseyev's opposition to using nuclear weapons fit into the Cold War era in which Red Storm Rising was published?
Essay Topic 3
Several women play important roles in the development of Red Storm Rising. Women like Toland's wife, Vigdis, and Amy Nakamura are as vital to the plot's development as their male counterparts. Examine women's role in Red Storm Rising and their significance in the story. How are the women similar to their male counterparts? How are they different? How does each woman interact with those around her? What does each woman reveal about the men around them?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)