|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the military personnel in the Keflavik air base?
2. Almost immediately after Toland reveals what he knows, his status in the military changes. What happens?
3. When Toland is recalled to duty and is preparing to leave his home, he hears a news report about something that occurs at the Kremlin. What was it?
4. As Chernyavin's men are traveling, they find themselves face-to-face with a tank. They then hear Chernyavin's voice telling them to surrender themselves. Why does this surprise them?
5. Toland believes that the incident in Russia was faked. What reason would Russia have to fake something of this magnitude?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between the Russian and American pilots who end up near each other in the ocean after an air fight.
2. Why does one of Chernyavin's men blow up the van they traveled in?
3. Give an example of a character who is concerned about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James. Why is the character concerned?
4. Why does Chernyavin fail in his mission?
5. What are some obstacles Edwards and his men face once they escape the air base?
6. Why does Morris have to arrange for a tug boat to haul the Pharris back to shore?
7. What does Toland suspect about the explosion in the Kremlin?
8. Is Edwards suited to the stress of his situation?
9. What happens to the Nimitz, the ship Toland is aboard during a Russian attack?
10. Why does the Politburo decide to go to war for oil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A recurring theme in Red Storm Rising is stress and its effects on different individuals. Examine the effects of stress on Morris, Edwards, Vigdis, and Alekseyev. Compare and contrast how each individual deals with their circumstances. Does one character in particular deal with stress better than the other three? Who seems to have the most effective means of dealing with their stress? Conclude your essay with an examination of how stress plays into the development of the war as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the structure and political maneuvering of the Russian government through Red Storm Rising's plot. After establishing the style, structure, and function of the Russian government, analyze how those elements influence the outcome of the Red Storm offensive. If the country's government was structured differently, would the outcome of the war have been the same? Be sure to support each point with a specific example from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Vigdis is a major character in Red Storm Rising, and her pregnancy lends an interesting dimension to the book. Explain why Vigdis's pregnancy is so significant. What is its symbolism? What does her pregnancy indicate about the nature of life, and the nature of war? How does Vigdis's pregnancy affect her and those around her?
This section contains 2,285 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)