|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Toland's response to the news of the generals' executions, and how do his superiors react?
2. What is notable about the "terrorist's" statement that angers Toland's superiors?
3. The Russian KGB takes what political body hostage?
4. As he listens to the eulogy for the Russian victims, what does Toland notice about the speech?
5. What boat is Toland on when the Russians attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sergetov become enraged at the funeral of the victims of the Kremlin explosion?
2. Who escapes the air base after the Russians take over?
3. Why does the Russian Foreign Minister place so much emphasis on his proposal for arms reduction?
4. Why does the Politburo decide to go to war for oil?
5. What is "Red Storm?"
6. What are some clues Robert Toland finds that hint that Russia is preparing for an offensive?
7. Is Edwards suited to the stress of his situation?
8. Why does Chernyavin fail in his mission?
9. An AP news correspondent in Moscow does not reveal the true cause of the oil refinery fire. What does he say happened, and how does he report the fire was extinguished?
10. What happens to Robert Toland after he alerts military officials to the situation in Russia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Red Storm Rising was published in the midst of the Cold War. How did the Cold War influence the plot of the novel? What parallels exist between events in the book and events during the Cold War? What differences are there? How do the sentiments of American characters toward Russia reflect American sentiment toward Russia during the Cold War? Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
The importance of technology is a recurring theme throughout Red Storm Rising. Examine the importance of technology in each military's battle plans. Do advances in technology give a leading edge to one army or the other? Are there any battle plans that do not rely heavily on technology? Which plans rely most on technology? How would the outcome of the war be affected if technology were not so prevalent in the Allied forces' plans?
Essay Topic 3
Vigdis is a major character in Red Storm Rising, and her pregnancy lends an interesting dimension to the book. Explain why Vigdis's pregnancy is so significant. What is its symbolism? What does her pregnancy indicate about the nature of life, and the nature of war? How does Vigdis's pregnancy affect her and those around her?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)