|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the Russians to begin searching for Edwards and his men after the American attack on the Keflavik air base?
(a) Edwards and his men were spotted while trying to signal for help.
(b) They believe someone is feeding information to the Americans.
(c) A Russian patrol found their footprints near their hiding place.
(d) They saw Edwards and his men when they left their original hiding place.
2. What is the full name of the captain of the Battleaxe?
(a) Robert Paulson.
(b) Jacob Harrison.
(c) Nick D'Onofrio.
(d) Doug Perrin.
3. Why is O'Malley worried about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James?
(a) Morris is disliked by the other men on the ship.
(b) O'Mally believes that Morris is too inexperienced to captain such a large ship.
(c) He lost men on the Pharris, and may find returning to command too stressful.
(d) Morris says that he is tired of being in command and wishes to return to port.
4. In Iceland, Edwards and his men near the hill Doghouse told them to reach but are unable to approach it. Why?
(a) The Russians have located their group.
(b) Their command tells them to change their destination.
(c) It is already occupied.
(d) A helicopter is circling the hill.
5. The Politburo divides reports into which three categories?
(a) Important, urgent, critical.
(b) Best case, middle case, and worst case.
(c) Yellow, orange, and red.
(d) Low importance, medium importance, high importance.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this section of the book, Sergetov questions a Russian soldier who has returned from the front. How is the soldier related to him?
2. Where was Georgiyevich when the information that led to the war was discussed with the Politburo?
3. After O'Malley sinks his first submarine, Morris asks him when he'll be ready to fly again. What does he say?
4. What happens to the farmhouse after Edwards and his men dispose of the Russian bodies?
5. While Edwards is communicating with command about an attack on the Keflavik airfield, two important areas of the base are destroyed. What are they?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Vigdis's pregnancy not unusual in Icelandic society?
2. What does O'Malley say is significant about the military's refusal to use the word "killing"?
3. When Alekeseyev and Sergetov discuss the offensive in Germany, do they decide that the war is going well, or that it is going poorly?
4. Why is McCafferty frustrated with his actions against the Russians?
5. Describe the interaction between the Russian and American pilots who end up near each other in the ocean after an air fight.
6. Describe Edwards's and his men's actions when they realize they have been spotted by Russian forces.
7. Why does Morris have to arrange for a tug boat to haul the Pharris back to shore?
8. Why do Edwards and his men attack and kill five Russian soldiers at a local farmhouse?
9. What prompts Sergetov to ask Georgiyevich if the war is a mistake?
10. How does Morris respond when the Battleaxe asks, "What the Devil is a Ruben James?"
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)