|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Edwards and his men do when they realize that they have been located by the Russians on the mountain?
(a) They retreat to another hill.
(b) They take defensive positions and wait for the Russians to come close to them.
(c) They scatter and hide in the mountains.
(d) They radio an Allied helicopter to come shoot the Russians.
2. What do Alekeseyev and Sergetov conclude about the Russian offensive in Germany?
(a) The Russians are capable of winning but need more weapons.
(b) The Russian offensive is going according to plan.
(c) The offensive is not going well.
(d) The Germans are close to surrendering.
3. Before Morris sails from New York Harbor, he is joined by a reporter. What is the reporter's name?
(a) Patrick Flynn.
(b) William Calloway.
(c) Gerald Marzorati.
(d) Rick Kogan.
4. McCafferty fires three torpedoes at a Russian convoy, but is unable to confirm a hit. Why?
(a) He is commanded to retreat.
(b) His sonar is damaged.
(c) He is detected by the Russians.
(d) The Chicago is fired upon.
5. Terry Mackell has great success locating tanks with what kind of instrument?
Short Answer Questions
1. Edwards and his group are supposed to reach a nearby mountain where they hope to be picked up. What are they supposed to do once they reach their destination?
2. What causes the Russians to begin searching for Edwards and his men after the American attack on the Keflavik air base?
3. How does Morris get the Pharris back to land after it is damaged?
4. Why does O'Malley, a member of Morris' crew, offer the credit for the submarine kill to the other ship?
5. After O'Malley sinks his first submarine, Morris asks him when he'll be ready to fly again. What does he say?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of a character who is concerned about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James. Why is the character concerned?
2. Why does Morris treat the captured Russian sailors so well?
3. What does O'Malley say is significant about the military's refusal to use the word "killing"?
4. How does Morris respond when the Battleaxe asks, "What the Devil is a Ruben James?"
5. Why does Morris have to arrange for a tug boat to haul the Pharris back to shore?
6. Why is McCafferty frustrated with his actions against the Russians?
7. What honors does Morris receive once he reaches Norfolk?
8. Explain how all reports given to the Politburo are divided and organized.
9. Describe the interaction between the Russian and American pilots who end up near each other in the ocean after an air fight.
10. Why is Edwards berated after the incident at the farmhouse?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)