|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to O'Malley that makes him relate to Morris's grief about the death of his men?
(a) He knows many other sailors who have lost comrades.
(b) O'Malley was on a ship near the Pharris during the attack.
(c) He himself lost two friends in an attack in Vietnam.
(d) O'Malley has recently lost several family members.
2. How does Morris get the Pharris back to land after it is damaged?
(a) He fixes and restarts the engines.
(b) He plugs the holes in the ship.
(c) He arranges for a tug to pull them back to shore.
(d) He engages the ship's secondary engines.
3. The Politburo divides reports into which three categories?
(a) Low importance, medium importance, high importance.
(b) Yellow, orange, and red.
(c) Best case, middle case, and worst case.
(d) Important, urgent, critical.
4. What do Alekeseyev and Sergetov conclude about the Russian offensive in Germany?
(a) The offensive is not going well.
(b) The Russians are capable of winning but need more weapons.
(c) The Germans are close to surrendering.
(d) The Russian offensive is going according to plan.
5. Terry Mackell has great success locating tanks with what kind of instrument?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes a Russian soldier to locate Edwards and his men on the mountain?
2. An American soldier and Major Chapeyev are shot down in the same area, and Chapeyev attempts to take the American captive. What does the American ask the Chapeyev that dissuades him from doing so?
3. What important thing does Edwards tell Vigdis about his feelings toward her before they are rescued?
4. What marking will the Pharris receive that indicates that it has sunk a submarine?
5. Morris did not receive much warning that the journalist was to join his ship, but he determines that the journalist is professional. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sergetov's son say when his father questions him about the war?
2. Give an example of a character who is concerned about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James. Why is the character concerned?
3. Why does Morris treat the captured Russian sailors so well?
4. Why does Morris have to arrange for a tug boat to haul the Pharris back to shore?
5. Describe the interaction between the Russian and American pilots who end up near each other in the ocean after an air fight.
6. How does Morris respond when the Battleaxe asks, "What the Devil is a Ruben James?"
7. After the Pharris sinks a Russian submarine, how does Morris treat the Russian sailors he captures?
8. How does Morris react when Calloway, an American reporter, sails with Morris's crew?
9. What happens to the helicopter Alekeseyev and Sergetov are on in Germany, and what do the men do afterward?
10. Describe the after-effects of the Allies' defensive maneuver they call "Doolittle."
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)