|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the Pharris, Morris realizes that the loss of the Keflavik air base is more significant than he once anticipated. Why?
(a) It allows the Russians to bring in reinforcements.
(b) It allows the Russians to attack both by air and by sea.
(c) It means the Navy can not use any air planes.
(d) It means that the Navy can not contact their ships at sea.
2. Why is O'Malley worried about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James?
(a) Morris is disliked by the other men on the ship.
(b) O'Mally believes that Morris is too inexperienced to captain such a large ship.
(c) He lost men on the Pharris, and may find returning to command too stressful.
(d) Morris says that he is tired of being in command and wishes to return to port.
3. When the Russians discover the soldiers Edwards's group killed at the farmhouse, what do they decide to do?
(a) Search for the band of Allied soldiers that must be nearby.
(b) Assume they died in an accident and determine to be more careful.
(c) Bury the Russians and leave the area.
(d) Report the deaths and await further orders.
4. Edwards and his men are supposed to hike about two hundred miles. How long is their journey supposed to last?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Ten days.
(d) A month.
5. After O'Malley sinks his first live submarine, what does he say about his feelings?
(a) He says that the Russians deserved it.
(b) He says that he's ready to sink more submarines.
(c) He says that it was the happiest day of his life.
(d) He says the submarine sinking was the saddest sound he'd ever heard.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapters 35-39, McCafferty scores a hit by sinking which vessel?
2. What marking will the Pharris receive that indicates that it has sunk a submarine?
3. What British town houses the USS Nimitz while it is repaired and prepared for service?
4. An American soldier and Major Chapeyev are shot down in the same area, and Chapeyev attempts to take the American captive. What does the American ask the Chapeyev that dissuades him from doing so?
5. What is the name of the girl Edwards and his men take with them when they leave the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does O'Malley say is significant about the military's refusal to use the word "killing"?
2. Why do Edwards and his men attack and kill five Russian soldiers at a local farmhouse?
3. What response does Edwards provide when warned about how "tough" the 200-mile hike to Hvammsfjordur will be?
4. Describe Edwards's and his men's actions when they realize they have been spotted by Russian forces.
5. Give an example of a character who is concerned about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James. Why is the character concerned?
6. How does Morris react when Calloway, an American reporter, sails with Morris's crew?
7. Why is Edwards berated after the incident at the farmhouse?
8. When Alekeseyev and Sergetov discuss the offensive in Germany, do they decide that the war is going well, or that it is going poorly?
9. What does Sergetov's son say when his father questions him about the war?
10. What prompts Sergetov to ask Georgiyevich if the war is a mistake?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)