|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does O'Malley, a member of Morris' crew, offer the credit for the submarine kill to the other ship?
(a) The other ship hit the submarine first.
(b) O'Mally dislikes Morris and wants to make him look bad.
(c) The other ship has never hit a submarine.
(d) The other ship will have to fill out the environmental impact statement.
2. What does Georgiyevich say his replacement told the Politburo when the war was discussed with the Politburo?
(a) His replacement kept silent when asked for his report.
(b) His replacement told the Politburo what they wanted to hear.
(c) His replacement tried to talk the Politburo into attacking immediately.
(d) His replacement tried to dissuade the Politburo from going to war.
3. What is the name of Georgiyevich's driver?
4. What does Morris do to gain information from the Russian prisoners about the whereabouts of other vessels?
(a) He witholds food and water until they tell him where other ships are located.
(b) He tries to convince the Russians to cooperate.
(c) He gives the Russians liquor and bugs their rooms.
(d) He tortures them for information.
5. What happened to O'Malley that makes him relate to Morris's grief about the death of his men?
(a) He himself lost two friends in an attack in Vietnam.
(b) O'Malley has recently lost several family members.
(c) O'Malley was on a ship near the Pharris during the attack.
(d) He knows many other sailors who have lost comrades.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men that escape the sunken submarine are captured and taken on board the Pharris. How are they treated?
2. What British town houses the USS Nimitz while it is repaired and prepared for service?
3. Where was Georgiyevich when the information that led to the war was discussed with the Politburo?
4. McCafferty fires three torpedoes at a Russian convoy, but is unable to confirm a hit. Why?
5. When the Russians locate a damaged American submarine, another Allied vessel distracts the Russians and leads them away. What is the name of that vessel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sergetov's son say when his father questions him about the war?
2. Explain how all reports given to the Politburo are divided and organized.
3. How does Morris respond when the Battleaxe asks, "What the Devil is a Ruben James?"
4. Why do Edwards and his men attack and kill five Russian soldiers at a local farmhouse?
5. What honors does Morris receive once he reaches Norfolk?
6. When Alekeseyev and Sergetov discuss the offensive in Germany, do they decide that the war is going well, or that it is going poorly?
7. Why does Morris have to arrange for a tug boat to haul the Pharris back to shore?
8. What does O'Malley say is significant about the military's refusal to use the word "killing"?
9. Do the crews of the Ruben James and the Battleaxe get along?
10. What happens to the helicopter Alekeseyev and Sergetov are on in Germany, and what do the men do afterward?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)