|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Toland observes that the Allied forces are capable of beating the Russians, but they must be able to do what first?
(a) Locate them.
(b) Cooperate with other countries.
(c) Intimidate them.
(d) Buy more missiles.
2. Morris did not receive much warning that the journalist was to join his ship, but he determines that the journalist is professional. Why?
(a) The journalist only carries one bag.
(b) The journalist is very well-spoken.
(c) The journalist stays out of the way.
(d) The journalist has a good reputation.
3. What important thing does Edwards tell Vigdis about his feelings toward her before they are rescued?
(a) He tells her that he loves her.
(b) He tells her that she reminds him of his girlfriend.
(c) He tells her that he views her as a sister.
(d) He tells her that he has to leave the country without her.
4. What do Edwards and his men do when they realize that they have been located by the Russians on the mountain?
(a) They retreat to another hill.
(b) They scatter and hide in the mountains.
(c) They take defensive positions and wait for the Russians to come close to them.
(d) They radio an Allied helicopter to come shoot the Russians.
5. How does O'Malley try to help Morris deal with the deaths of the men on the Pharris?
(a) He asks him to have a drink and has him talk about what happened.
(b) He asks Morris to write about the details of the attack.
(c) He encourages Morris to forget about the Pharris and focus on his new crew.
(d) He recommends that Morris see a psychiatrist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men escape the submarine that the Pharris sinks?
2. Five Russian soldiers die in the family's farmhouse. How are they killed?
3. What new job is Morris given once he is back in the States?
4. After Russians sink both submarines that are traveling with the Chicago, what country's submarine contacts the Chicago and asks them if they are alone?
5. What is the name of the girl Edwards and his men take with them when they leave the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Morris have to arrange for a tug boat to haul the Pharris back to shore?
2. Describe the interaction between the Russian and American pilots who end up near each other in the ocean after an air fight.
3. Why does Morris treat the captured Russian sailors so well?
4. Why is Edwards berated after the incident at the farmhouse?
5. Describe the after-effects of the Allies' defensive maneuver they call "Doolittle."
6. When Alekeseyev and Sergetov discuss the offensive in Germany, do they decide that the war is going well, or that it is going poorly?
7. Why is McCafferty frustrated with his actions against the Russians?
8. After the Pharris sinks a Russian submarine, how does Morris treat the Russian sailors he captures?
9. What does Sergetov's son say when his father questions him about the war?
10. Describe Edwards's and his men's actions when they realize they have been spotted by Russian forces.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)