|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Georgiyevich say his replacement told the Politburo when the war was discussed with the Politburo?
(a) His replacement tried to dissuade the Politburo from going to war.
(b) His replacement tried to talk the Politburo into attacking immediately.
(c) His replacement kept silent when asked for his report.
(d) His replacement told the Politburo what they wanted to hear.
2. What happened to Edwards's girlfriend?
(a) She was killed by a Russian missile.
(b) She was raped and murdered at her University.
(c) She committed suicide.
(d) She left him for another man when he left to go to war.
3. How does O'Malley try to help Morris deal with the deaths of the men on the Pharris?
(a) He asks Morris to write about the details of the attack.
(b) He encourages Morris to forget about the Pharris and focus on his new crew.
(c) He recommends that Morris see a psychiatrist.
(d) He asks him to have a drink and has him talk about what happened.
4. What happens to the captain that Morris replaces on his new ship?
(a) He collapses due to a bleeding ulcer.
(b) He has a nervous breakdown.
(c) He dies in an enemy attack.
(d) He suffers from epilepsy.
5. What do Edwards and his men do when they realize that they have been located by the Russians on the mountain?
(a) They take defensive positions and wait for the Russians to come close to them.
(b) They retreat to another hill.
(c) They radio an Allied helicopter to come shoot the Russians.
(d) They scatter and hide in the mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Edwards is communicating with command about an attack on the Keflavik airfield, two important areas of the base are destroyed. What are they?
2. What causes a Russian soldier to locate Edwards and his men on the mountain?
3. Morris is reassigned to a new ship. What is the name of that ship?
4. After O'Malley sinks his first submarine, Morris asks him when he'll be ready to fly again. What does he say?
5. What British town houses the USS Nimitz while it is repaired and prepared for service?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Edwards berated after the incident at the farmhouse?
2. Describe the after-effects of the Allies' defensive maneuver they call "Doolittle."
3. How does Morris respond when the Battleaxe asks, "What the Devil is a Ruben James?"
4. What prompts Sergetov to ask Georgiyevich if the war is a mistake?
5. Why is Vigdis's pregnancy not unusual in Icelandic society?
6. Describe the interaction between the Russian and American pilots who end up near each other in the ocean after an air fight.
7. Why is McCafferty frustrated with his actions against the Russians?
8. What honors does Morris receive once he reaches Norfolk?
9. What does Sergetov's son say when his father questions him about the war?
10. Why does Morris have to arrange for a tug boat to haul the Pharris back to shore?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)