|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Morris sails from New York Harbor, he is joined by a reporter. What is the reporter's name?
(a) Gerald Marzorati.
(b) Rick Kogan.
(c) William Calloway.
(d) Patrick Flynn.
2. What kind of submarine does Morris and the other ship sink?
(a) A nuclear submarine.
(b) An oil-powered submarine.
(c) A coal-burning submarine.
(d) An internal-combustion submarine.
3. What causes the Russians to begin searching for Edwards and his men after the American attack on the Keflavik air base?
(a) They believe someone is feeding information to the Americans.
(b) They saw Edwards and his men when they left their original hiding place.
(c) A Russian patrol found their footprints near their hiding place.
(d) Edwards and his men were spotted while trying to signal for help.
4. In chapters 27-34, the Americans attack the Russians at the air base using what new technology?
(a) Unmanned fighter drones.
(b) Planes that are undetected by radars.
(c) Heat-seeking missiles.
(d) Radar-jamming technology.
5. While the Russian soldiers are looking for Edwards and his men, what happens to distract them?
(a) They find and shoot a deer.
(b) They are faced with an angry mob of locals.
(c) They are attacked by Allied planes.
(d) They recieve orders to relocate to a different part of the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Edwards notes that Vigdis does not complain about having to move about in hostile territory. Why is this especially significant?
2. Doghouse tells Edwards and his men are told to "take a little hike." Where are they supposed to go?
3. What marking will the Pharris receive that indicates that it has sunk a submarine?
4. While Edwards is communicating with command about an attack on the Keflavik airfield, two important areas of the base are destroyed. What are they?
5. What honor does Morris receive once he is back on American soil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Sergetov to ask Georgiyevich if the war is a mistake?
2. What does O'Malley say is significant about the military's refusal to use the word "killing"?
3. Why is McCafferty frustrated with his actions against the Russians?
4. Give an example of a character who is concerned about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James. Why is the character concerned?
5. What does Sergetov's son say when his father questions him about the war?
6. How does Morris respond when the Battleaxe asks, "What the Devil is a Ruben James?"
7. How does O'Malley react after he sinks his first submarine?
8. After the Pharris sinks a Russian submarine, how does Morris treat the Russian sailors he captures?
9. Why does Morris treat the captured Russian sailors so well?
10. Describe the interaction between the Russian and American pilots who end up near each other in the ocean after an air fight.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)