|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the girl Edwards and his men take with them when they leave the village?
2. The men that escape the sunken submarine are captured and taken on board the Pharris. How are they treated?
(a) They are tortured for information.
(b) They are locked in a store room and given minimal food and water.
(c) They are well cared for, but they are separated from the rest of the crew.
(d) They are executed.
3. What kind of submarine does Morris and the other ship sink?
(a) A nuclear submarine.
(b) An internal-combustion submarine.
(c) A coal-burning submarine.
(d) An oil-powered submarine.
4. What happens to the farmhouse after Edwards and his men dispose of the Russian bodies?
(a) Edwards and his men burn it.
(b) The Russians occupy the house.
(c) It is abandoned.
(d) The fate of the house itself is not mentioned.
5. What new job is Morris given once he is back in the States?
(a) He will work as a commander.
(b) He will work in intelligence.
(c) He will advise the President on the war.
(d) He will be sent to a new American base.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important thing does Edwards tell Vigdis about his feelings toward her before they are rescued?
2. In Chapters 35-39, McCafferty scores a hit by sinking which vessel?
3. After McCafferty arrives in Scotland, what does he discover about his skirmish with the Russian convoy?
4. Doghouse tells Edwards and his men are told to "take a little hike." Where are they supposed to go?
5. What do Edwards and his men do with the bodies of the Russian soldiers that were killed in the farmhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response does Edwards provide when warned about how "tough" the 200-mile hike to Hvammsfjordur will be?
2. What contributes to Edwards's decision to relocate his men a second time?
3. After the Pharris sinks a Russian submarine, how does Morris treat the Russian sailors he captures?
4. Why do Edwards and his men attack and kill five Russian soldiers at a local farmhouse?
5. Do the crews of the Ruben James and the Battleaxe get along?
6. Describe the interaction between the Russian and American pilots who end up near each other in the ocean after an air fight.
7. Why is McCafferty frustrated with his actions against the Russians?
8. What honors does Morris receive once he reaches Norfolk?
9. Describe the after-effects of the Allies' defensive maneuver they call "Doolittle."
10. How does Morris respond when the Battleaxe asks, "What the Devil is a Ruben James?"
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)