|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Morris get the Pharris back to land after it is damaged?
(a) He engages the ship's secondary engines.
(b) He arranges for a tug to pull them back to shore.
(c) He fixes and restarts the engines.
(d) He plugs the holes in the ship.
2. Why is O'Malley worried about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James?
(a) Morris says that he is tired of being in command and wishes to return to port.
(b) O'Mally believes that Morris is too inexperienced to captain such a large ship.
(c) Morris is disliked by the other men on the ship.
(d) He lost men on the Pharris, and may find returning to command too stressful.
3. What happens to the captain that Morris replaces on his new ship?
(a) He collapses due to a bleeding ulcer.
(b) He has a nervous breakdown.
(c) He dies in an enemy attack.
(d) He suffers from epilepsy.
4. After O'Malley sinks his first submarine, Morris asks him when he'll be ready to fly again. What does he say?
(a) He'll be ready in maybe a week.
(b) He'll be ready next month.
(c) He'll never be ready to fly again.
(d) He's ready to go back up now.
5. What does Morris do to gain information from the Russian prisoners about the whereabouts of other vessels?
(a) He gives the Russians liquor and bugs their rooms.
(b) He witholds food and water until they tell him where other ships are located.
(c) He tortures them for information.
(d) He tries to convince the Russians to cooperate.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his interview with Calloway, O'Malley says that the Allied troops' ability to survive depends on what?
2. Edwards and his group are supposed to reach a nearby mountain where they hope to be picked up. What are they supposed to do once they reach their destination?
3. In this section of the book, Sergetov questions a Russian soldier who has returned from the front. How is the soldier related to him?
4. Before O'Malley sank the submarine, what role did he play as a helicopter pilot?
5. Edwards and his men are supposed to hike about two hundred miles. How long is their journey supposed to last?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do the crews of the Ruben James and the Battleaxe get along?
2. Describe Edwards's and his men's actions when they realize they have been spotted by Russian forces.
3. What does Sergetov's son say when his father questions him about the war?
4. Give an example of a character who is concerned about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James. Why is the character concerned?
5. Why is Vigdis's pregnancy not unusual in Icelandic society?
6. How does Morris react when Calloway, an American reporter, sails with Morris's crew?
7. What response does Edwards provide when warned about how "tough" the 200-mile hike to Hvammsfjordur will be?
8. How does Morris respond when the Battleaxe asks, "What the Devil is a Ruben James?"
9. How does O'Malley react after he sinks his first submarine?
10. After the Pharris sinks a Russian submarine, how does Morris treat the Russian sailors he captures?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)