|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What marking will the Pharris receive that indicates that it has sunk a submarine?
(a) The Pharris will be given a new name.
(b) A special flag will be flown on the ship.
(c) A submarine will be painted on the bow.
(d) All of the men will be given special medals.
2. What happens at a local farmhouse when Edwards and his men prepare to ask for food?
(a) They are forced to hide when a group of Russians questions locals about their whereabouts.
(b) They are recognized and questioned by local police.
(c) Russians break in and brutalize the family.
(d) One of the men is shot in a Russian ambush.
3. Why does O'Malley, a member of Morris' crew, offer the credit for the submarine kill to the other ship?
(a) The other ship will have to fill out the environmental impact statement.
(b) The other ship has never hit a submarine.
(c) O'Mally dislikes Morris and wants to make him look bad.
(d) The other ship hit the submarine first.
4. What important thing does Edwards tell Vigdis about his feelings toward her before they are rescued?
(a) He tells her that he views her as a sister.
(b) He tells her that he has to leave the country without her.
(c) He tells her that she reminds him of his girlfriend.
(d) He tells her that he loves her.
5. When Edward and Vigdis encounter an enemy helicopter, how do they avoid detection?
(a) They pretend to be village fishermen.
(b) They dive into the river..
(c) They hide in the reeds on the riverbank.
(d) They pose as a young, romantic couple.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the Pharris, Morris realizes that the loss of the Keflavik air base is more significant than he once anticipated. Why?
2. What causes the Russians to begin searching for Edwards and his men after the American attack on the Keflavik air base?
3. What British town houses the USS Nimitz while it is repaired and prepared for service?
4. Edwards and his group are supposed to reach a nearby mountain where they hope to be picked up. What are they supposed to do once they reach their destination?
5. Edwards and his men are supposed to hike about two hundred miles. How long is their journey supposed to last?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Pharris sinks a Russian submarine, how does Morris treat the Russian sailors he captures?
2. Describe the after-effects of the Allies' defensive maneuver they call "Doolittle."
3. What contributes to Edwards's decision to relocate his men a second time?
4. Why is Vigdis's pregnancy not unusual in Icelandic society?
5. Why do Edwards and his men attack and kill five Russian soldiers at a local farmhouse?
6. What honors does Morris receive once he reaches Norfolk?
7. How does Morris react when Calloway, an American reporter, sails with Morris's crew?
8. What response does Edwards provide when warned about how "tough" the 200-mile hike to Hvammsfjordur will be?
9. Why is McCafferty frustrated with his actions against the Russians?
10. How does O'Malley react after he sinks his first submarine?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)