|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the attack on the Nizhnevartovsk oil refinery, Tolkaze stops for a moment to read something. What was it?
(a) A prayer for the people he killed.
(b) Part of his father's Koran.
(c) Instructions on how to loosen the refinery's valves.
(d) A map of the refinery.
2. How does Flynn react to the Russian's show of reducing their arms?
(a) He's indifferent about the arms reduction.
(b) He's tense about the reduction of arms in the Russian military.
(c) He's excited to see that the Russians are taking steps toward peace.
(d) He's skeptical about their honesty concerning their disarmament.
3. What are Edwards and his men told to do if they find themselves in danger?
(a) "Bug out."
(b) "Peace out."
(c) "Surrender immediately."
(d) "Retreat and evade."
4. The Russian ship is repainted to look like a merchant ship, but they are not in normal shipping lanes. What does the crew do when the U.S. Navy questions them about this?
(a) They pretend they do not speak English and go on their way.
(b) They say they fear escalating hostilities, and ask the Navy to help them in the event of an attack.
(c) They insist that they were off-course, and thank the Navy for bringing it to their attention.
(d) They say that they fear the heightened government tensions, and say that they are fleeing the country.
5. Sergetov admits that he almost wishes that he had been present at the time of the attack. Why?
(a) He feels that he could have stopped the attack.
(b) He wishes he could have been a hero because of his death.
(c) He thinks death may be preferable to playing along with the government's plot.
(d) He thinks he could have saved some of the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Edwards's move away from his location, something happens that makes him ashamed of himself. What is it?
2. What does the Politburo decide after Sergetov's report?
3. Highly-trained Russian forces begin fighting on the ground in Germany. What is the special title of those forces?
4. While the Russians prepare for their offensive, four generals are court-martialed and shot. What are they accused of?
5. The U.S. fires on the Julius Fucik, but are unable to sink the boat. What does the captain of the ship do?
Short Essay Questions
1. An AP news correspondent in Moscow does not reveal the true cause of the oil refinery fire. What does he say happened, and how does he report the fire was extinguished?
2. What does Toland suspect about the explosion in the Kremlin?
3. What happens to the Nimitz, the ship Toland is aboard during a Russian attack?
4. What are some obstacles Edwards and his men face once they escape the air base?
5. What does the Russian Navy do to make Patrick Flynn suspicious about the Russian arms reduction?
6. Why does the Russian Foreign Minister place so much emphasis on his proposal for arms reduction?
7. How are the Russians' missiles damaged?
8. Who is Robert Toland?
9. What does Toland notice about the eulogy for the victims of the explosion at the Kremlin?
10. What is suspicious about the confession of the alleged terrorist who claims responsibility for the attack on the Kremlin?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)