|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Russian Foreign Minister's speech so significant?
(a) He's trying to gain favor with other countries by asking for their help.
(b) He's trying to draw attention away from Russia's weakened state.
(c) He's trying to divert attention from Russia's upcoming offensive.
(d) He's trying to intimidate other countries with boasts about Russia's well-being.
2. What does the AP Moscow Correspondent say extinguished the fire?
(a) Hundreds of firefighters and volunteers.
(b) Military helicopters.
(c) A freak snowstorm.
(d) Sophisticated fire extinguishers.
3. The Russian ship is repainted to look like a merchant ship, but they are not in normal shipping lanes. What does the crew do when the U.S. Navy questions them about this?
(a) They pretend they do not speak English and go on their way.
(b) They say that they fear the heightened government tensions, and say that they are fleeing the country.
(c) They say they fear escalating hostilities, and ask the Navy to help them in the event of an attack.
(d) They insist that they were off-course, and thank the Navy for bringing it to their attention.
4. What is the code name for the command to which Edwards reports?
(d) Boarding House.
5. The eulogy given at the Russian victims' funeral calls for what action?
(a) Increased diplomacy to solve Russia's problems.
(b) Political demonstrations to protest Russian oil shortages.
(c) Forgiveness and reconciliation with Russia's enemies.
(d) Retaliation against the alleged terrorist's country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Russia says that the explosion was caused by terrorists from which country?
2. The Commander of the USS Pharris receives orders about how to deal with ships he encounters. What are those orders?
3. How does Flynn react to the Russian's show of reducing their arms?
4. Why does Chernyavin praise the man who blew up the van?
5. Four hovercraft are about to land on Iceland's coast. Why weren't they noticed by the Navy sooner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are the men who are stationed at Keflavik, Iceland, happy with their post?
2. What is Chernyavin doing in Germany?
3. What are some clues Robert Toland finds that hint that Russia is preparing for an offensive?
4. What does the captain of the Julius Fucik do when the ship is discovered by the U.S. Navy?
5. How are the Russians' missiles damaged?
6. What are some reasons that the destruction of the oil refinery in Nizhnevartovsk so significant to the Russians?
7. What does Toland suspect about the explosion in the Kremlin?
8. What happens to the Nimitz, the ship Toland is aboard during a Russian attack?
9. What are some obstacles Edwards and his men face once they escape the air base?
10. Is Edwards suited to the stress of his situation?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)