|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Russian ship is repainted to look like a merchant ship, but they are not in normal shipping lanes. What does the crew do when the U.S. Navy questions them about this?
(a) They insist that they were off-course, and thank the Navy for bringing it to their attention.
(b) They pretend they do not speak English and go on their way.
(c) They say they fear escalating hostilities, and ask the Navy to help them in the event of an attack.
(d) They say that they fear the heightened government tensions, and say that they are fleeing the country.
2. While the American military waits to confirm a plan to down Soviet satellites, something happens that sets back the operation. What happens?
(a) The American government decides to scrap the operation.
(b) The American satellites go down.
(c) The Soviets launch missiles at American warships.
(d) The Soviets attack American forces.
3. Why is the Russian Foreign Minister's speech so significant?
(a) He's trying to draw attention away from Russia's weakened state.
(b) He's trying to divert attention from Russia's upcoming offensive.
(c) He's trying to gain favor with other countries by asking for their help.
(d) He's trying to intimidate other countries with boasts about Russia's well-being.
4. What is notable about the "terrorist's" statement that angers Toland's superiors?
(a) The terrorist's story is too perfect.
(b) The man's story is full of holes and contradictions.
(c) The man is too emotional about his story.
(d) There are no hard facts available about the attack or the terrorist.
5. Russia does something to indicate that they are reducing their nuclear arms. What do they do?
(a) They dismantle nuclear warheads.
(b) They shut down nuclear reactors.
(c) They fill torpedo tubes with concrete.
(d) They take apart Russian rocket-launchers.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Edwards's move away from his location, something happens that makes him ashamed of himself. What is it?
2. What boat is Toland on when the Russians attack?
3. Why is this mission to take out the bridges so important in the war against the Soviets?
4. As he listens to the eulogy for the Russian victims, what does Toland notice about the speech?
5. What happens to the military personnel in the Keflavik air base?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Robert Toland?
2. What is Chernyavin doing in Germany?
3. How are the Russians' missiles damaged?
4. What are some clues Robert Toland finds that hint that Russia is preparing for an offensive?
5. Why does one of Chernyavin's men blow up the van they traveled in?
6. Who escapes the air base after the Russians take over?
7. Why does the Politburo decide to go to war for oil?
8. What are some reasons that the destruction of the oil refinery in Nizhnevartovsk so significant to the Russians?
9. What does the Russian Navy do to make Patrick Flynn suspicious about the Russian arms reduction?
10. What is the Julius Fucik, and how does it fit into Russia's secretive plans for war?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)