|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the air base in Iceland?
2. Why is it unsafe for Edwards to stay at his surveillance location?
(a) The Russians locate their hiding spot during a security sweep.
(b) His location is never really dark because the sun never truly sets.
(c) One of his men betrayed their position to the Russians.
(d) His location is too close to the Russians.
3. The night before the attack, a movie was televised throughout Russia. What was the movie about?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Russian military.
(c) A German attack on Russia.
(d) Nuclear War.
4. What does Sergetov tell the Politburo about the state of Russian affairs?
(a) That Russia is financially strong and has sufficient resources to survive the new year.
(b) That Russia should feign weakness to gain foreign sympathies.
(c) That Russia is weak and will have to depend on other countries to survive the new year.
(d) That Russia is financially strong, but will need foreign oil to keep its citizens warm.
5. What is the name of the man who escapes the Keflavik air base and uses a radio to spread news of the attack?
(a) First Lieutenant Mike Edwards.
(b) Patrick Flynn.
(c) Ed Morris.
(d) Commander Daniel Edwards.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Toland is recalled to duty and is preparing to leave his home, he hears a news report about something that occurs at the Kremlin. What was it?
2. Why is this mission to take out the bridges so important in the war against the Soviets?
3. What are Edwards and his men told to do if they find themselves in danger?
4. What boat is Toland on when the Russians attack?
5. The Commander of the USS Pharris receives orders about how to deal with ships he encounters. What are those orders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contributes to Edwards's decision to relocate his men a second time?
2. What does the elder Sergetov say about Alekeseyev and the younger Sergetov when he speaks about them to Communist Party officials?
3. Why is McCafferty frustrated with his actions against the Russians?
4. What are some clues Robert Toland finds that hint that Russia is preparing for an offensive?
5. Explain how all reports given to the Politburo are divided and organized.
6. How are the Russians' missiles damaged?
7. What response does Edwards provide when warned about how "tough" the 200-mile hike to Hvammsfjordur will be?
8. Why does Morris treat the captured Russian sailors so well?
9. Why does the captain of the Julius Fucik ground the ship after the attack on the Icelandic air base?
10. Why does Chernyavin fail in his mission?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)