|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his interview with Calloway, O'Malley says that the Allied troops' ability to survive depends on what?
(a) All troops working independantly, apart from each other.
(b) All parts of the military's defenses working together.
(c) The Allied forces' ability to keep their plans secret.
(d) The Allies' ability to unite with other countries.
2. What do Alekeseyev and Sergetov conclude about the Russian offensive in Germany?
(a) The Russian offensive is going according to plan.
(b) The offensive is not going well.
(c) The Germans are close to surrendering.
(d) The Russians are capable of winning but need more weapons.
3. An American soldier and Major Chapeyev are shot down in the same area, and Chapeyev attempts to take the American captive. What does the American ask the Chapeyev that dissuades him from doing so?
(a) He asks the Russian if captives really matter at sea.
(b) He asks the Russian if he can really bear to kill him in cold blood.
(c) He asks the Russian if he has enough shark repellent.
(d) He asks the Russian to share his water with him.
4. What does Georgiyevich say his replacement told the Politburo when the war was discussed with the Politburo?
(a) His replacement told the Politburo what they wanted to hear.
(b) His replacement tried to talk the Politburo into attacking immediately.
(c) His replacement tried to dissuade the Politburo from going to war.
(d) His replacement kept silent when asked for his report.
5. What was Edward's girlfriend's name?
6. After O'Malley sinks his first live submarine, what does he say about his feelings?
(a) He says that he's ready to sink more submarines.
(b) He says the submarine sinking was the saddest sound he'd ever heard.
(c) He says that the Russians deserved it.
(d) He says that it was the happiest day of his life.
7. How does O'Malley try to help Morris deal with the deaths of the men on the Pharris?
(a) He asks him to have a drink and has him talk about what happened.
(b) He asks Morris to write about the details of the attack.
(c) He encourages Morris to forget about the Pharris and focus on his new crew.
(d) He recommends that Morris see a psychiatrist.
8. When Edward and Vigdis encounter an enemy helicopter, how do they avoid detection?
(a) They pretend to be village fishermen.
(b) They pose as a young, romantic couple.
(c) They hide in the reeds on the riverbank.
(d) They dive into the river..
9. What do Edwards and his men do when they realize that they have been located by the Russians on the mountain?
(a) They radio an Allied helicopter to come shoot the Russians.
(b) They retreat to another hill.
(c) They scatter and hide in the mountains.
(d) They take defensive positions and wait for the Russians to come close to them.
10. Terry Mackell has great success locating tanks with what kind of instrument?
11. Before Morris sails from New York Harbor, he is joined by a reporter. What is the reporter's name?
(a) William Calloway.
(b) Patrick Flynn.
(c) Gerald Marzorati.
(d) Rick Kogan.
12. Edwards and his men are supposed to hike about two hundred miles. How long is their journey supposed to last?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) A month.
13. Morris decides to treat the prisoners from the sunken submarine in a very unusual way. Why does Morris decide to treat the prisoners this way?
(a) It's the best way to gain information from them.
(b) It's the safest way to get the Russians off the Pharris.
(c) It's to prevent the Russians from spying on the Americans.
(d) It's to avenge the deaths of the soldiers the Russians killed.
14. In Chapters 35-39, McCafferty scores a hit by sinking which vessel?
(a) The Triton.
(b) The Foxtrot.
(c) The Turtle.
(d) The Nautilus.
15. What does Morris do to gain information from the Russian prisoners about the whereabouts of other vessels?
(a) He tries to convince the Russians to cooperate.
(b) He tortures them for information.
(c) He gives the Russians liquor and bugs their rooms.
(d) He witholds food and water until they tell him where other ships are located.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Alekeseyev and Sergetov leave the scene the helicopter crash?
2. What happened to O'Malley that makes him relate to Morris's grief about the death of his men?
3. While the Russian soldiers are looking for Edwards and his men, what happens to distract them?
4. McCafferty fires three torpedoes at a Russian convoy, but is unable to confirm a hit. Why?
5. The men that escape the sunken submarine are captured and taken on board the Pharris. How are they treated?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)