|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In this section of the book, Sergetov questions a Russian soldier who has returned from the front. How is the soldier related to him?
(a) He is Sergetov's nephew.
(b) He is Sergetov's son.
(c) He is Sergetov's brother.
(d) He is Sergetov's cousin.
2. What do Alekeseyev and Sergetov conclude about the Russian offensive in Germany?
(a) The Germans are close to surrendering.
(b) The offensive is not going well.
(c) The Russians are capable of winning but need more weapons.
(d) The Russian offensive is going according to plan.
3. Toland observes that the Allied forces are capable of beating the Russians, but they must be able to do what first?
(a) Intimidate them.
(b) Locate them.
(c) Cooperate with other countries.
(d) Buy more missiles.
4. How many men escape the submarine that the Pharris sinks?
5. Edwards and his men are supposed to hike about two hundred miles. How long is their journey supposed to last?
(a) A month.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Ten days.
6. What happens at a local farmhouse when Edwards and his men prepare to ask for food?
(a) Russians break in and brutalize the family.
(b) One of the men is shot in a Russian ambush.
(c) They are recognized and questioned by local police.
(d) They are forced to hide when a group of Russians questions locals about their whereabouts.
7. What happened to Edwards's girlfriend?
(a) She committed suicide.
(b) She was raped and murdered at her University.
(c) She left him for another man when he left to go to war.
(d) She was killed by a Russian missile.
8. What is unusual about McCafferty's kill in chapters 35-39?
(a) The vessel sinks, but most of the crew escapes.
(b) Three men flee on a recuse raft.
(c) The rescue buoy is deployed, even though all the sailors are already dead.
(d) The vessel is not severely damaged, but sinks anyway.
9. What kind of submarine does Morris and the other ship sink?
(a) A nuclear submarine.
(b) An internal-combustion submarine.
(c) An oil-powered submarine.
(d) A coal-burning submarine.
10. An American soldier and Major Chapeyev are shot down in the same area, and Chapeyev attempts to take the American captive. What does the American ask the Chapeyev that dissuades him from doing so?
(a) He asks the Russian to share his water with him.
(b) He asks the Russian if captives really matter at sea.
(c) He asks the Russian if he has enough shark repellent.
(d) He asks the Russian if he can really bear to kill him in cold blood.
11. What marking will the Pharris receive that indicates that it has sunk a submarine?
(a) A submarine will be painted on the bow.
(b) All of the men will be given special medals.
(c) A special flag will be flown on the ship.
(d) The Pharris will be given a new name.
12. What is the name of the defensive maneuver that the Allied forces execute in Chapter 35?
13. McCafferty fires three torpedoes at a Russian convoy, but is unable to confirm a hit. Why?
(a) He is detected by the Russians.
(b) The Chicago is fired upon.
(c) He is commanded to retreat.
(d) His sonar is damaged.
14. Where are Alekeseyev and Sergetov when their helicopter is shot down?
15. When Calloway interviews O'Malley about sinking the submarine, what does O'Malley point out about the American military?
(a) The Russians fired on the Americans first.
(b) The military never uses the word "killing."
(c) That Calloway can not understand combat because he's a civilian.
(d) The military never takes joy in sinking enemy vessels.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Alekeseyev and Sergetov leave the scene the helicopter crash?
2. How does O'Malley try to help Morris deal with the deaths of the men on the Pharris?
3. Where was Georgiyevich when the information that led to the war was discussed with the Politburo?
4. Who is the Russian Central Committee member who explains to Sergetov how the Politburo organizes reports?
5. After the Americans attack the Keflavik air base, Edwards announces that he and his men will have to relocate to a third location. Why?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)