|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What British town houses the USS Nimitz while it is repaired and prepared for service?
2. McCafferty fires three torpedoes at a Russian convoy, but is unable to confirm a hit. Why?
(a) His sonar is damaged.
(b) He is detected by the Russians.
(c) The Chicago is fired upon.
(d) He is commanded to retreat.
3. What marking will the Pharris receive that indicates that it has sunk a submarine?
(a) The Pharris will be given a new name.
(b) A submarine will be painted on the bow.
(c) All of the men will be given special medals.
(d) A special flag will be flown on the ship.
4. In Chapters 35-39, McCafferty scores a hit by sinking which vessel?
(a) The Triton.
(b) The Turtle.
(c) The Nautilus.
(d) The Foxtrot.
5. What do Edwards and his men do when they realize that they have been located by the Russians on the mountain?
(a) They scatter and hide in the mountains.
(b) They take defensive positions and wait for the Russians to come close to them.
(c) They retreat to another hill.
(d) They radio an Allied helicopter to come shoot the Russians.
6. What is the name of the girl Edwards and his men take with them when they leave the village?
7. What is the name of the defensive maneuver that the Allied forces execute in Chapter 35?
8. In this section of the book, Sergetov questions a Russian soldier who has returned from the front. How is the soldier related to him?
(a) He is Sergetov's brother.
(b) He is Sergetov's cousin.
(c) He is Sergetov's nephew.
(d) He is Sergetov's son.
9. What does Georgiyevich say his replacement told the Politburo when the war was discussed with the Politburo?
(a) His replacement tried to dissuade the Politburo from going to war.
(b) His replacement kept silent when asked for his report.
(c) His replacement tried to talk the Politburo into attacking immediately.
(d) His replacement told the Politburo what they wanted to hear.
10. On the Pharris, Morris realizes that the loss of the Keflavik air base is more significant than he once anticipated. Why?
(a) It means the Navy can not use any air planes.
(b) It means that the Navy can not contact their ships at sea.
(c) It allows the Russians to attack both by air and by sea.
(d) It allows the Russians to bring in reinforcements.
11. The Politburo divides reports into which three categories?
(a) Best case, middle case, and worst case.
(b) Yellow, orange, and red.
(c) Important, urgent, critical.
(d) Low importance, medium importance, high importance.
12. An American soldier and Major Chapeyev are shot down in the same area, and Chapeyev attempts to take the American captive. What does the American ask the Chapeyev that dissuades him from doing so?
(a) He asks the Russian if captives really matter at sea.
(b) He asks the Russian to share his water with him.
(c) He asks the Russian if he has enough shark repellent.
(d) He asks the Russian if he can really bear to kill him in cold blood.
13. After O'Malley sinks his first live submarine, what does he say about his feelings?
(a) He says that the Russians deserved it.
(b) He says the submarine sinking was the saddest sound he'd ever heard.
(c) He says that he's ready to sink more submarines.
(d) He says that it was the happiest day of his life.
14. Before O'Malley sank the submarine, what role did he play as a helicopter pilot?
(a) He flew medical helicopters.
(b) He only flew supplies for the military.
(c) He did only search and rescue.
(d) He did only intelligence and surveillance.
15. What honor does Morris receive once he is back on American soil?
(a) He is thanked by the military for his work as a spy.
(b) He receives recognition for his efforts on the Pharris.
(c) He is promoted within the military.
(d) A family thanks him for fighting for his country.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Edward and Vigdis encounter an enemy helicopter, how do they avoid detection?
2. What do Edwards and his men do with the bodies of the Russian soldiers that were killed in the farmhouse?
3. What happens to the captain that Morris replaces on his new ship?
4. Toland observes that the Allied forces are capable of beating the Russians, but they must be able to do what first?
5. What important thing does Edwards tell Vigdis about his feelings toward her before they are rescued?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)