|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Toland observes that the Allied forces are capable of beating the Russians, but they must be able to do what first?
(a) Cooperate with other countries.
(b) Intimidate them.
(c) Buy more missiles.
(d) Locate them.
2. What happens to the captain that Morris replaces on his new ship?
(a) He suffers from epilepsy.
(b) He has a nervous breakdown.
(c) He collapses due to a bleeding ulcer.
(d) He dies in an enemy attack.
3. When Edward and Vigdis encounter an enemy helicopter, how do they avoid detection?
(a) They pretend to be village fishermen.
(b) They dive into the river..
(c) They pose as a young, romantic couple.
(d) They hide in the reeds on the riverbank.
4. An American soldier and Major Chapeyev are shot down in the same area, and Chapeyev attempts to take the American captive. What does the American ask the Chapeyev that dissuades him from doing so?
(a) He asks the Russian if he can really bear to kill him in cold blood.
(b) He asks the Russian if captives really matter at sea.
(c) He asks the Russian to share his water with him.
(d) He asks the Russian if he has enough shark repellent.
5. Edwards notes that Vigdis does not complain about having to move about in hostile territory. Why is this especially significant?
(a) Vigdis' leg is broken.
(b) Vigdis is pregnant.
(c) Vigdis has a wounded shoulder.
(d) Vigdis has never left her family before.
6. Why is O'Malley worried about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James?
(a) Morris is disliked by the other men on the ship.
(b) Morris says that he is tired of being in command and wishes to return to port.
(c) O'Mally believes that Morris is too inexperienced to captain such a large ship.
(d) He lost men on the Pharris, and may find returning to command too stressful.
7. What important thing does Edwards tell Vigdis about his feelings toward her before they are rescued?
(a) He tells her that he has to leave the country without her.
(b) He tells her that he loves her.
(c) He tells her that he views her as a sister.
(d) He tells her that she reminds him of his girlfriend.
8. Why does O'Malley, a member of Morris' crew, offer the credit for the submarine kill to the other ship?
(a) O'Mally dislikes Morris and wants to make him look bad.
(b) The other ship has never hit a submarine.
(c) The other ship hit the submarine first.
(d) The other ship will have to fill out the environmental impact statement.
9. What does Morris do to gain information from the Russian prisoners about the whereabouts of other vessels?
(a) He tortures them for information.
(b) He witholds food and water until they tell him where other ships are located.
(c) He gives the Russians liquor and bugs their rooms.
(d) He tries to convince the Russians to cooperate.
10. What is the full name of the captain of the Battleaxe?
(a) Jacob Harrison.
(b) Doug Perrin.
(c) Robert Paulson.
(d) Nick D'Onofrio.
11. What causes the Russians to begin searching for Edwards and his men after the American attack on the Keflavik air base?
(a) Edwards and his men were spotted while trying to signal for help.
(b) They saw Edwards and his men when they left their original hiding place.
(c) They believe someone is feeding information to the Americans.
(d) A Russian patrol found their footprints near their hiding place.
12. What was Edward's girlfriend's name?
13. Who is the Russian Central Committee member who explains to Sergetov how the Politburo organizes reports?
(a) Dmitry Medvedev.
(b) Georg Udovitsky.
(c) Henrik Georgiyevich.
(d) Boris Georgiyevich.
14. What happened to O'Malley that makes him relate to Morris's grief about the death of his men?
(a) He knows many other sailors who have lost comrades.
(b) He himself lost two friends in an attack in Vietnam.
(c) O'Malley was on a ship near the Pharris during the attack.
(d) O'Malley has recently lost several family members.
15. After Russians sink both submarines that are traveling with the Chicago, what country's submarine contacts the Chicago and asks them if they are alone?
Short Answer Questions
1. Doghouse tells Edwards and his men are told to "take a little hike." Where are they supposed to go?
2. The Politburo divides reports into which three categories?
3. Before O'Malley sank the submarine, what role did he play as a helicopter pilot?
4. While the Russian soldiers are looking for Edwards and his men, what happens to distract them?
5. What is the name of the girl Edwards and his men take with them when they leave the village?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)