|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Morris and his new crew work with another ship to sink an enemy submarine. What is the other ship's name?
(a) The Battleaxe.
(b) The Harpie.
(c) The Man O' War.
(d) The Audie Murphy.
2. Toland observes that the Allied forces are capable of beating the Russians, but they must be able to do what first?
(a) Buy more missiles.
(b) Cooperate with other countries.
(c) Locate them.
(d) Intimidate them.
3. After the Americans attack the Keflavik air base, Edwards announces that he and his men will have to relocate to a third location. Why?
(a) Their hiding place is under fire.
(b) Edwards and his men are low on supplies.
(c) His men are desperate to get out of enemy territory.
(d) The Russians are too close to their hiding place.
4. Why is O'Malley worried about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James?
(a) Morris is disliked by the other men on the ship.
(b) He lost men on the Pharris, and may find returning to command too stressful.
(c) Morris says that he is tired of being in command and wishes to return to port.
(d) O'Mally believes that Morris is too inexperienced to captain such a large ship.
5. What happens at a local farmhouse when Edwards and his men prepare to ask for food?
(a) They are forced to hide when a group of Russians questions locals about their whereabouts.
(b) They are recognized and questioned by local police.
(c) One of the men is shot in a Russian ambush.
(d) Russians break in and brutalize the family.
6. What happened to Edwards's girlfriend?
(a) She was raped and murdered at her University.
(b) She was killed by a Russian missile.
(c) She committed suicide.
(d) She left him for another man when he left to go to war.
7. An American soldier and Major Chapeyev are shot down in the same area, and Chapeyev attempts to take the American captive. What does the American ask the Chapeyev that dissuades him from doing so?
(a) He asks the Russian if he has enough shark repellent.
(b) He asks the Russian if he can really bear to kill him in cold blood.
(c) He asks the Russian to share his water with him.
(d) He asks the Russian if captives really matter at sea.
8. Morris decides to treat the prisoners from the sunken submarine in a very unusual way. Why does Morris decide to treat the prisoners this way?
(a) It's the safest way to get the Russians off the Pharris.
(b) It's to avenge the deaths of the soldiers the Russians killed.
(c) It's the best way to gain information from them.
(d) It's to prevent the Russians from spying on the Americans.
9. After O'Malley sinks his first submarine, Morris asks him when he'll be ready to fly again. What does he say?
(a) He's ready to go back up now.
(b) He'll never be ready to fly again.
(c) He'll be ready next month.
(d) He'll be ready in maybe a week.
10. What important thing does Edwards tell Vigdis about his feelings toward her before they are rescued?
(a) He tells her that he has to leave the country without her.
(b) He tells her that she reminds him of his girlfriend.
(c) He tells her that he views her as a sister.
(d) He tells her that he loves her.
11. When McCafferty fires upon the Russian convoy, he saves a submarine crew from which country?
(b) He didn't save a submarine crew.
(c) The Ukraine.
12. In Chapters 35-39, McCafferty scores a hit by sinking which vessel?
(a) The Foxtrot.
(b) The Triton.
(c) The Nautilus.
(d) The Turtle.
13. Morris did not receive much warning that the journalist was to join his ship, but he determines that the journalist is professional. Why?
(a) The journalist stays out of the way.
(b) The journalist only carries one bag.
(c) The journalist is very well-spoken.
(d) The journalist has a good reputation.
14. What do Edwards and his men do with the bodies of the Russian soldiers that were killed in the farmhouse?
(a) They bury the bodies in the fields behind the farmhouse.
(b) They put them in their own jeep, push it off a cliff, and set it on fire.
(c) They leave them in the farmhouse.
(d) They arrange the bodies to make it look like they were ambushed.
15. After Morris arrives in Boston, to what city is he sent?
(a) Quantico, VA.
(b) Norfolk, VA.
(c) Tampa, FL.
(d) Newport, RI.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of submarine does Morris and the other ship sink?
2. How does Morris get the Pharris back to land after it is damaged?
3. Where are Alekeseyev and Sergetov when their helicopter is shot down?
4. What is the name of Georgiyevich's driver?
5. While Edwards is communicating with command about an attack on the Keflavik airfield, two important areas of the base are destroyed. What are they?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)