|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is O'Malley worried about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James?
(a) O'Mally believes that Morris is too inexperienced to captain such a large ship.
(b) He lost men on the Pharris, and may find returning to command too stressful.
(c) Morris is disliked by the other men on the ship.
(d) Morris says that he is tired of being in command and wishes to return to port.
2. When Edward and Vigdis encounter an enemy helicopter, how do they avoid detection?
(a) They dive into the river..
(b) They pretend to be village fishermen.
(c) They pose as a young, romantic couple.
(d) They hide in the reeds on the riverbank.
3. What kind of submarine does Morris and the other ship sink?
(a) A coal-burning submarine.
(b) An oil-powered submarine.
(c) A nuclear submarine.
(d) An internal-combustion submarine.
4. What do Alekeseyev and Sergetov conclude about the Russian offensive in Germany?
(a) The Russians are capable of winning but need more weapons.
(b) The Germans are close to surrendering.
(c) The offensive is not going well.
(d) The Russian offensive is going according to plan.
5. Who is the Russian Central Committee member who explains to Sergetov how the Politburo organizes reports?
(a) Dmitry Medvedev.
(b) Boris Georgiyevich.
(c) Henrik Georgiyevich.
(d) Georg Udovitsky.
6. What new job is Morris given once he is back in the States?
(a) He will be sent to a new American base.
(b) He will work in intelligence.
(c) He will advise the President on the war.
(d) He will work as a commander.
7. After O'Malley sinks his first submarine, Morris asks him when he'll be ready to fly again. What does he say?
(a) He'll be ready next month.
(b) He's ready to go back up now.
(c) He'll never be ready to fly again.
(d) He'll be ready in maybe a week.
8. Why does O'Malley, a member of Morris' crew, offer the credit for the submarine kill to the other ship?
(a) The other ship has never hit a submarine.
(b) The other ship will have to fill out the environmental impact statement.
(c) The other ship hit the submarine first.
(d) O'Mally dislikes Morris and wants to make him look bad.
9. Edwards notes that Vigdis does not complain about having to move about in hostile territory. Why is this especially significant?
(a) Vigdis has a wounded shoulder.
(b) Vigdis has never left her family before.
(c) Vigdis' leg is broken.
(d) Vigdis is pregnant.
10. What causes the Russians to begin searching for Edwards and his men after the American attack on the Keflavik air base?
(a) They saw Edwards and his men when they left their original hiding place.
(b) Edwards and his men were spotted while trying to signal for help.
(c) A Russian patrol found their footprints near their hiding place.
(d) They believe someone is feeding information to the Americans.
11. What happens to the farmhouse after Edwards and his men dispose of the Russian bodies?
(a) Edwards and his men burn it.
(b) It is abandoned.
(c) The fate of the house itself is not mentioned.
(d) The Russians occupy the house.
12. What marking will the Pharris receive that indicates that it has sunk a submarine?
(a) The Pharris will be given a new name.
(b) A special flag will be flown on the ship.
(c) A submarine will be painted on the bow.
(d) All of the men will be given special medals.
13. What do Edwards and his men do with the bodies of the Russian soldiers that were killed in the farmhouse?
(a) They bury the bodies in the fields behind the farmhouse.
(b) They leave them in the farmhouse.
(c) They arrange the bodies to make it look like they were ambushed.
(d) They put them in their own jeep, push it off a cliff, and set it on fire.
14. What British town houses the USS Nimitz while it is repaired and prepared for service?
15. On the Pharris, Morris realizes that the loss of the Keflavik air base is more significant than he once anticipated. Why?
(a) It means that the Navy can not contact their ships at sea.
(b) It means the Navy can not use any air planes.
(c) It allows the Russians to attack both by air and by sea.
(d) It allows the Russians to bring in reinforcements.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Politburo divides reports into which three categories?
2. After the Americans attack the Keflavik air base, Edwards announces that he and his men will have to relocate to a third location. Why?
3. What important thing does Edwards tell Vigdis about his feelings toward her before they are rescued?
4. When Calloway interviews O'Malley about sinking the submarine, what does O'Malley point out about the American military?
5. What happened to O'Malley that makes him relate to Morris's grief about the death of his men?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)