|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When McCafferty fires upon the Russian convoy, he saves a submarine crew from which country?
(a) He didn't save a submarine crew.
(b) The Ukraine.
2. What do Edwards and his men do when they realize that they have been located by the Russians on the mountain?
(a) They retreat to another hill.
(b) They scatter and hide in the mountains.
(c) They take defensive positions and wait for the Russians to come close to them.
(d) They radio an Allied helicopter to come shoot the Russians.
3. After Russians sink both submarines that are traveling with the Chicago, what country's submarine contacts the Chicago and asks them if they are alone?
4. What British town houses the USS Nimitz while it is repaired and prepared for service?
5. Why does O'Malley, a member of Morris' crew, offer the credit for the submarine kill to the other ship?
(a) The other ship has never hit a submarine.
(b) The other ship will have to fill out the environmental impact statement.
(c) O'Mally dislikes Morris and wants to make him look bad.
(d) The other ship hit the submarine first.
6. McCafferty fires three torpedoes at a Russian convoy, but is unable to confirm a hit. Why?
(a) He is detected by the Russians.
(b) He is commanded to retreat.
(c) The Chicago is fired upon.
(d) His sonar is damaged.
7. The men that escape the sunken submarine are captured and taken on board the Pharris. How are they treated?
(a) They are tortured for information.
(b) They are locked in a store room and given minimal food and water.
(c) They are well cared for, but they are separated from the rest of the crew.
(d) They are executed.
8. While the Russian soldiers are looking for Edwards and his men, what happens to distract them?
(a) They recieve orders to relocate to a different part of the country.
(b) They are faced with an angry mob of locals.
(c) They find and shoot a deer.
(d) They are attacked by Allied planes.
9. How does Morris get the Pharris back to land after it is damaged?
(a) He fixes and restarts the engines.
(b) He plugs the holes in the ship.
(c) He engages the ship's secondary engines.
(d) He arranges for a tug to pull them back to shore.
10. After Morris arrives in Boston, to what city is he sent?
(a) Newport, RI.
(b) Norfolk, VA.
(c) Tampa, FL.
(d) Quantico, VA.
11. On the Pharris, Morris realizes that the loss of the Keflavik air base is more significant than he once anticipated. Why?
(a) It allows the Russians to attack both by air and by sea.
(b) It means the Navy can not use any air planes.
(c) It allows the Russians to bring in reinforcements.
(d) It means that the Navy can not contact their ships at sea.
12. What kind of submarine does Morris and the other ship sink?
(a) An internal-combustion submarine.
(b) A nuclear submarine.
(c) An oil-powered submarine.
(d) A coal-burning submarine.
13. After the Americans attack the Keflavik air base, Edwards announces that he and his men will have to relocate to a third location. Why?
(a) Their hiding place is under fire.
(b) The Russians are too close to their hiding place.
(c) His men are desperate to get out of enemy territory.
(d) Edwards and his men are low on supplies.
14. Why is O'Malley worried about Morris's ability to captain the Ruben James?
(a) He lost men on the Pharris, and may find returning to command too stressful.
(b) O'Mally believes that Morris is too inexperienced to captain such a large ship.
(c) Morris says that he is tired of being in command and wishes to return to port.
(d) Morris is disliked by the other men on the ship.
15. Morris and his new crew work with another ship to sink an enemy submarine. What is the other ship's name?
(a) The Battleaxe.
(b) The Harpie.
(c) The Audie Murphy.
(d) The Man O' War.
Short Answer Questions
1. An American soldier and Major Chapeyev are shot down in the same area, and Chapeyev attempts to take the American captive. What does the American ask the Chapeyev that dissuades him from doing so?
2. When Calloway interviews O'Malley about sinking the submarine, what does O'Malley point out about the American military?
3. What happens to the captain that Morris replaces on his new ship?
4. In chapters 27-34, the Americans attack the Russians at the air base using what new technology?
5. What happened to O'Malley that makes him relate to Morris's grief about the death of his men?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)