|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does O'Malley try to help Morris deal with the deaths of the men on the Pharris?
(a) He asks him to have a drink and has him talk about what happened.
(b) He asks Morris to write about the details of the attack.
(c) He encourages Morris to forget about the Pharris and focus on his new crew.
(d) He recommends that Morris see a psychiatrist.
2. After McCafferty arrives in Scotland, what does he discover about his skirmish with the Russian convoy?
(a) He damaged three Russian ships.
(b) He frightened the Russians away.
(c) He interupted a Norwegian attack on the Russians.
(d) He managed to sink a Russian vessel.
3. While the Russian soldiers are looking for Edwards and his men, what happens to distract them?
(a) They are attacked by Allied planes.
(b) They recieve orders to relocate to a different part of the country.
(c) They find and shoot a deer.
(d) They are faced with an angry mob of locals.
4. After O'Malley sinks his first live submarine, what does he say about his feelings?
(a) He says that he's ready to sink more submarines.
(b) He says the submarine sinking was the saddest sound he'd ever heard.
(c) He says that the Russians deserved it.
(d) He says that it was the happiest day of his life.
5. What new job is Morris given once he is back in the States?
(a) He will advise the President on the war.
(b) He will work as a commander.
(c) He will be sent to a new American base.
(d) He will work in intelligence.
6. Before Morris sails from New York Harbor, he is joined by a reporter. What is the reporter's name?
(a) Rick Kogan.
(b) Patrick Flynn.
(c) Gerald Marzorati.
(d) William Calloway.
7. What happened to O'Malley that makes him relate to Morris's grief about the death of his men?
(a) He knows many other sailors who have lost comrades.
(b) He himself lost two friends in an attack in Vietnam.
(c) O'Malley was on a ship near the Pharris during the attack.
(d) O'Malley has recently lost several family members.
8. In chapters 27-34, the Americans attack the Russians at the air base using what new technology?
(a) Unmanned fighter drones.
(b) Radar-jamming technology.
(c) Planes that are undetected by radars.
(d) Heat-seeking missiles.
9. Doghouse tells Edwards and his men are told to "take a little hike." Where are they supposed to go?
(a) A town called Hvammsfjordur.
(b) The nearest American ship.
(c) A distant Marine outpost.
(d) To meet up with another group of stranded Marines.
10. When McCafferty fires upon the Russian convoy, he saves a submarine crew from which country?
(a) He didn't save a submarine crew.
(d) The Ukraine.
11. Why does O'Malley, a member of Morris' crew, offer the credit for the submarine kill to the other ship?
(a) The other ship will have to fill out the environmental impact statement.
(b) O'Mally dislikes Morris and wants to make him look bad.
(c) The other ship has never hit a submarine.
(d) The other ship hit the submarine first.
12. What happens to the captain that Morris replaces on his new ship?
(a) He collapses due to a bleeding ulcer.
(b) He dies in an enemy attack.
(c) He suffers from epilepsy.
(d) He has a nervous breakdown.
13. What happens to the Pharris in chapter 27?
(a) It hits an underwater mine.
(b) It runs aground on a sand bar.
(c) It's hit by a torpedo.
(d) It's bombed by a Russian fighter pilot.
14. In this section of the book, Sergetov questions a Russian soldier who has returned from the front. How is the soldier related to him?
(a) He is Sergetov's cousin.
(b) He is Sergetov's nephew.
(c) He is Sergetov's son.
(d) He is Sergetov's brother.
15. In Chapters 35-39, McCafferty scores a hit by sinking which vessel?
(a) The Triton.
(b) The Foxtrot.
(c) The Nautilus.
(d) The Turtle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What honor does Morris receive once he is back on American soil?
2. Edwards notes that Vigdis does not complain about having to move about in hostile territory. Why is this especially significant?
3. Five Russian soldiers die in the family's farmhouse. How are they killed?
4. Who is the Russian Central Committee member who explains to Sergetov how the Politburo organizes reports?
5. After Russians sink both submarines that are traveling with the Chicago, what country's submarine contacts the Chicago and asks them if they are alone?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)