|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Russians discover the soldiers Edwards's group killed at the farmhouse, what do they decide to do?
(a) Report the deaths and await further orders.
(b) Search for the band of Allied soldiers that must be nearby.
(c) Bury the Russians and leave the area.
(d) Assume they died in an accident and determine to be more careful.
2. What happened to O'Malley that makes him relate to Morris's grief about the death of his men?
(a) O'Malley was on a ship near the Pharris during the attack.
(b) He knows many other sailors who have lost comrades.
(c) O'Malley has recently lost several family members.
(d) He himself lost two friends in an attack in Vietnam.
3. How do Alekeseyev and Sergetov leave the scene the helicopter crash?
(a) They hike to the nearest Russian camp.
(b) They walk and then comandeer a truck.
(c) They disguise themselves and hitch hike.
(d) They force a local man to drive them to the nearest Russian company.
4. What British town houses the USS Nimitz while it is repaired and prepared for service?
5. What happened to Edwards's girlfriend?
(a) She was killed by a Russian missile.
(b) She left him for another man when he left to go to war.
(c) She committed suicide.
(d) She was raped and murdered at her University.
6. What is the name of the defensive maneuver that the Allied forces execute in Chapter 35?
7. When McCafferty fires upon the Russian convoy, he saves a submarine crew from which country?
(b) The Ukraine.
(c) He didn't save a submarine crew.
8. When the Russians locate a damaged American submarine, another Allied vessel distracts the Russians and leads them away. What is the name of that vessel?
(a) The Chicago.
(b) The Nimitz.
(c) The Reuban James.
(d) The Pharris.
9. Terry Mackell has great success locating tanks with what kind of instrument?
10. Toland observes that the Allied forces are capable of beating the Russians, but they must be able to do what first?
(a) Intimidate them.
(b) Cooperate with other countries.
(c) Buy more missiles.
(d) Locate them.
11. The men that escape the sunken submarine are captured and taken on board the Pharris. How are they treated?
(a) They are tortured for information.
(b) They are well cared for, but they are separated from the rest of the crew.
(c) They are locked in a store room and given minimal food and water.
(d) They are executed.
12. What is the name of Georgiyevich's driver?
13. What does Georgiyevich say his replacement told the Politburo when the war was discussed with the Politburo?
(a) His replacement told the Politburo what they wanted to hear.
(b) His replacement tried to talk the Politburo into attacking immediately.
(c) His replacement tried to dissuade the Politburo from going to war.
(d) His replacement kept silent when asked for his report.
14. In Chapters 35-39, McCafferty scores a hit by sinking which vessel?
(a) The Foxtrot.
(b) The Nautilus.
(c) The Triton.
(d) The Turtle.
15. What is the name of the girl Edwards and his men take with them when they leave the village?
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapters 27-34, the Americans attack the Russians at the air base using what new technology?
2. Edwards and his men are supposed to hike about two hundred miles. How long is their journey supposed to last?
3. What marking will the Pharris receive that indicates that it has sunk a submarine?
4. When Edward and Vigdis encounter an enemy helicopter, how do they avoid detection?
5. Before Morris sails from New York Harbor, he is joined by a reporter. What is the reporter's name?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)