|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Russian Politburo?
(a) Thirteen men who make decisions for Russia.
(b) Ten men who are responsible for Russia's energy production.
(c) Twenty-five men who are in charge of Russia's military.
(d) Sixteen men who comprise Russia's Supreme Court.
2. The Russians who control the air base are attacked by American planes. What do the American planes fail to destroy?
(a) Several runways.
(b) The base's air terminal.
(c) The air field.
(d) The flight command tower.
3. What is the name of the man who escapes the Keflavik air base and uses a radio to spread news of the attack?
(a) First Lieutenant Mike Edwards.
(b) Patrick Flynn.
(c) Ed Morris.
(d) Commander Daniel Edwards.
4. What is the name of the alleged terrorist who admits to the attack on Russia?
(a) Axel Springer.
(b) Franz Meinhof.
(c) Gerhardt Falken.
(d) Horst Mahler.
5. The Russian KGB takes what political body hostage?
(a) The heads of Iceland's military.
(b) NATO officials living in Iceland.
(c) The Icelandic Supreme Court.
(d) The Icelandic Parliament.
6. After Toland's ship is put out of commission by the Russians, where is he sent?
(a) South Africa.
7. While the American military waits to confirm a plan to down Soviet satellites, something happens that sets back the operation. What happens?
(a) The American government decides to scrap the operation.
(b) The American satellites go down.
(c) The Soviets launch missiles at American warships.
(d) The Soviets attack American forces.
8. During the attack on the Nizhnevartovsk oil refinery, Tolkaze stops for a moment to read something. What was it?
(a) Instructions on how to loosen the refinery's valves.
(b) Part of his father's Koran.
(c) A map of the refinery.
(d) A prayer for the people he killed.
9. Command asks Edwards a series of questions to confirm his identity. One question makes him so angry he refuses to answer. What was it?
(a) What happened to his girlfriend.
(b) Why his father left his family.
(c) Where his mother is buried.
(d) Why his wife divorced him.
10. Flynn and Calloway cover a speech by the Russian Foreign Minister. What does the Minister speak about?
(a) Russia's strong military and financial wealth.
(b) A plea for other countries to send Russia money and oil.
(c) A proposal to build more oil refineries.
(d) A proposal for arms reduction.
11. The execution of four Russian generals has a profound impact on the rest of the Russian military. How do other military officers respond?
(a) They are angry that the Russian government interfered with the military.
(b) By being fearful toward the Russian government.
(c) They are pleased that rogue officers were caught and punished.
(d) By being more deeply committed to the Russian government.
12. What is Toland's response to the news of the generals' executions, and how do his superiors react?
(a) Toland thinks it's trivial; his superiors agree.
(b) Toland thinks it's important; his superiors have him investigate furthur.
(c) Toland thinks it's trivial; his superiors think it's important.
(d) Toland thinks it's important; his superiors don't.
13. As Chernyavin's men are traveling, they find themselves face-to-face with a tank. They then hear Chernyavin's voice telling them to surrender themselves. Why does this surprise them?
(a) They are now under new leadership.
(b) They think that Chernyavin is still in prison.
(c) They think that Chernyavin is working for the Germans.
(d) They believe that Chernyavin is dead.
14. Russia does something to indicate that they are reducing their nuclear arms. What do they do?
(a) They dismantle nuclear warheads.
(b) They shut down nuclear reactors.
(c) They take apart Russian rocket-launchers.
(d) They fill torpedo tubes with concrete.
15. Highly-trained Russian forces begin fighting on the ground in Germany. What is the special title of those forces?
(a) Spetznaz forces.
(b) Spezialkräfte forces.
(c) Vympel forces.
(d) Spezielle Operationen forces.
Short Answer Questions
1. Almost immediately after Toland reveals what he knows, his status in the military changes. What happens?
2. Why is the Russian Foreign Minister's speech so significant?
3. After the Russians have gained control of the air base, what is their one significant problem?
4. How many Muslims attack the oil refinery in Nizhnevartovsk?
5. Chernyavin picks up a package at a post office. What does it contain?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)