|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is notable about the "terrorist's" statement that angers Toland's superiors?
(a) The terrorist's story is too perfect.
(b) The man's story is full of holes and contradictions.
(c) The man is too emotional about his story.
(d) There are no hard facts available about the attack or the terrorist.
2. How many Muslims attack the oil refinery in Nizhnevartovsk?
3. The Russian ship is repainted to look like a merchant ship, but they are not in normal shipping lanes. What does the crew do when the U.S. Navy questions them about this?
(a) They say they fear escalating hostilities, and ask the Navy to help them in the event of an attack.
(b) They say that they fear the heightened government tensions, and say that they are fleeing the country.
(c) They insist that they were off-course, and thank the Navy for bringing it to their attention.
(d) They pretend they do not speak English and go on their way.
4. The mission against the Soviets is successful, but it is a costly victory. Why?
(a) NATO supply lines are compromised.
(b) NATO forces were ambushed and had to be left behind.
(c) Several planes are lost during the mission.
(d) Many troops are captured by the Soviets.
5. What boat is Toland on when the Russians attack?
(a) The Lincolon.
(b) The Pharris.
(c) The Chicago.
(d) The Nimitz.
6. After Toland shares what he knows about Russia's state of affairs, he is moved to a new office. Where is it?
(a) Quantico, Virginia.
(b) Washington, D.C..
(c) Tampa, Florida.
(d) Norfolk, Virginia.
7. During the attack on the Nizhnevartovsk oil refinery, Tolkaze stops for a moment to read something. What was it?
(a) Instructions on how to loosen the refinery's valves.
(b) A prayer for the people he killed.
(c) A map of the refinery.
(d) Part of his father's Koran.
8. What clue does Toland discover that indicates Russia's instability?
(a) Demonstrations and speeches in the heart of the Kremlin.
(b) Food riots in Moscow.
(c) Hijacking of oil shipments across the country.
(d) Russian battery shortages.
9. Russia says that the explosion was caused by terrorists from which country?
10. What is the name of the ship Toland's commanding officer is in charge of?
(a) The USS Pharris.
(b) The USS Lincolon.
(c) The USS Ingham.
(d) The USS Davis.
11. Chernyavin picks up a package at a post office. What does it contain?
(a) Plans for the NATO headquarters.
(b) A map of the office of the Bundestag, or German parliament.
(c) The blueprint for the German Chancellor's house.
(d) Plans for the Reichstag building.
12. After the Russians have gained control of the air base, what is their one significant problem?
(a) Some of their weapons were lost during the battle.
(b) Their commander was killed by a stray bullet.
(c) Their ship sank, and they are stranded at the base.
(d) Their missiles are damaged by saltwater.
13. Once the men have rejoined Chernyavin, they blow up the van they were in. How?
(a) With plastic explosives.
(b) With a rocket-launcher.
(c) With a hand-grenade.
(d) With dynamite.
14. Russia does something to indicate that they are reducing their nuclear arms. What do they do?
(a) They dismantle nuclear warheads.
(b) They shut down nuclear reactors.
(c) They take apart Russian rocket-launchers.
(d) They fill torpedo tubes with concrete.
15. Four hovercraft are about to land on Iceland's coast. Why weren't they noticed by the Navy sooner?
(a) They flew too quickly to be recognized.
(b) The Russians caused a diversion.
(c) The Navy's radar did not see them.
(d) They were disguised.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers the refinery fire?
2. The Russians who control the air base are attacked by American planes. What do the American planes fail to destroy?
3. When Toland is recalled to duty and is preparing to leave his home, he hears a news report about something that occurs at the Kremlin. What was it?
4. Toland believes that the incident in Russia was faked. What reason would Russia have to fake something of this magnitude?
5. What does Sergetov tell the Politburo about the state of Russian affairs?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)