|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the people who died in the attack on Russia, how many were children?
2. What does Sergetov note about the Politburo's decision to go to war for oil?
(a) That the Politburo wants to go to war because they hate other countries.
(b) That oil is more important than the lives of Russian citizens.
(c) That the Russian people want to go to war to make their country richer.
(d) That it's safer to send Russians to war than to let them live cold and hungry.
3. What does Sergetov tell the Politburo about the state of Russian affairs?
(a) That Russia is financially strong, but will need foreign oil to keep its citizens warm.
(b) That Russia should feign weakness to gain foreign sympathies.
(c) That Russia is financially strong and has sufficient resources to survive the new year.
(d) That Russia is weak and will have to depend on other countries to survive the new year.
4. What is the name of the man who escapes the Keflavik air base and uses a radio to spread news of the attack?
(a) Patrick Flynn.
(b) First Lieutenant Mike Edwards.
(c) Commander Daniel Edwards.
(d) Ed Morris.
5. As he listens to the eulogy for the Russian victims, what does Toland notice about the speech?
(a) That Russia intends to ask other countries for oil.
(b) That Russia intends to go to war.
(c) That Russia is in desperate need of financial help from other countries.
(d) That Russia intends to continue their arms reduction.
6. What is the name of the alleged terrorist who admits to the attack on Russia?
(a) Franz Meinhof.
(b) Horst Mahler.
(c) Gerhardt Falken.
(d) Axel Springer.
7. The Russian ship is repainted to look like a merchant ship, but they are not in normal shipping lanes. What does the crew do when the U.S. Navy questions them about this?
(a) They say that they fear the heightened government tensions, and say that they are fleeing the country.
(b) They say they fear escalating hostilities, and ask the Navy to help them in the event of an attack.
(c) They pretend they do not speak English and go on their way.
(d) They insist that they were off-course, and thank the Navy for bringing it to their attention.
8. Toland believes that the incident in Russia was faked. What reason would Russia have to fake something of this magnitude?
(a) An explosion would frighten Russians and make them want to go to war.
(b) Faking an attack would allow Russia to declare war on another country.
(c) Faking a terrorist attack would justify heightened military activity.
(d) Faking a terrorist attack would make other countries feel bad for Russia and offer them oil.
9. What does the Politburo decide after Sergetov's report?
(a) That they need oil, and that they must purchase as much as possible.
(b) That secretly manufacturing weapons will solve their problems.
(c) That they need weapons, and should negotiate with Europe to get them.
(d) That they need oil, and that they must take it by force.
10. How many Muslims attack the oil refinery in Nizhnevartovsk?
11. What is the supposed occupation of the "terrorist"?
(a) A demolition worker.
(b) A spy.
(c) A military specialist.
(d) A bomb manufacturer.
12. During the attack on the Nizhnevartovsk oil refinery, Tolkaze stops for a moment to read something. What was it?
(a) A prayer for the people he killed.
(b) A map of the refinery.
(c) Instructions on how to loosen the refinery's valves.
(d) Part of his father's Koran.
13. Toland is a reservist and serves his time with the commander of a ship. What is the commander's name?
(a) Patrick Flynn.
(b) Charles Nubuck.
(c) Ed Morris.
(d) William Calloway.
14. What does Edwards warn command about the relocation to a safer place?
(a) His men are too exhausted to move.
(b) The new location will be even less safe.
(c) It will take hours to make a short journey.
(d) His men are low on ammunition.
15. After the Russians have gained control of the air base, what is their one significant problem?
(a) Their missiles are damaged by saltwater.
(b) Their ship sank, and they are stranded at the base.
(c) Some of their weapons were lost during the battle.
(d) Their commander was killed by a stray bullet.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Russian KGB takes what political body hostage?
2. Russia does something to indicate that they are reducing their nuclear arms. What do they do?
3. At the funeral, Sergetov is enraged by the loss of life that resulted from the explosion. He is also angry because of what reason?
4. Sergetov admits that he almost wishes that he had been present at the time of the attack. Why?
5. Chernyavin picks up a package at a post office. What does it contain?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)