|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Russians have gained control of the air base, what is their one significant problem?
(a) Some of their weapons were lost during the battle.
(b) Their commander was killed by a stray bullet.
(c) Their missiles are damaged by saltwater.
(d) Their ship sank, and they are stranded at the base.
2. Chernyavin picks up a package at a post office. What does it contain?
(a) A map of the office of the Bundestag, or German parliament.
(b) Plans for the NATO headquarters.
(c) The blueprint for the German Chancellor's house.
(d) Plans for the Reichstag building.
3. The U.S. fires on the Julius Fucik, but are unable to sink the boat. What does the captain of the ship do?
(a) He forcefully drives the ship into port.
(b) He blows up the boat to avoid capture.
(c) He flees back to Russia.
(d) He returns fire until his enemies give up.
4. What is Toland's first order of business once he reaches safety?
(a) To notify his family that he is safe.
(b) To return immediately to America.
(c) To give an account of the attack to military officials.
(d) To report to his commanding officers.
5. How does Flynn react to the Russian's show of reducing their arms?
(a) He's tense about the reduction of arms in the Russian military.
(b) He's skeptical about their honesty concerning their disarmament.
(c) He's indifferent about the arms reduction.
(d) He's excited to see that the Russians are taking steps toward peace.
6. How many Muslims attack the oil refinery in Nizhnevartovsk?
7. What happens to the military personnel in the Keflavik air base?
(a) They are forced to act as the Russians' servants.
(b) They are set free and told to warn the military that Russia is taking over.
(c) They are either killed or taken hostage.
(d) They are forced to fight for the Russians.
8. After Toland shares what he knows about Russia's state of affairs, he is moved to a new office. Where is it?
(a) Norfolk, Virginia.
(b) Tampa, Florida.
(c) Quantico, Virginia.
(d) Washington, D.C..
9. What is the full name of the author of the article about the importance of the Russian oil fields?
(a) Williams Blake.
(b) Patrick Flynn.
(c) Michael Evans.
(d) William Calloway.
10. During the attack on the Nizhnevartovsk oil refinery, Tolkaze stops for a moment to read something. What was it?
(a) A map of the refinery.
(b) Instructions on how to loosen the refinery's valves.
(c) Part of his father's Koran.
(d) A prayer for the people he killed.
11. Almost immediately after Toland reveals what he knows, his status in the military changes. What happens?
(a) His two-week reserve status is extended indefinitely.
(b) He is told to go on leave and return to the ship in a few weeks.
(c) He is asked to return to active duty.
(d) He is dismissed from service and told to keep quiet about what he knows.
12. Toland believes that the incident in Russia was faked. What reason would Russia have to fake something of this magnitude?
(a) Faking a terrorist attack would make other countries feel bad for Russia and offer them oil.
(b) An explosion would frighten Russians and make them want to go to war.
(c) Faking an attack would allow Russia to declare war on another country.
(d) Faking a terrorist attack would justify heightened military activity.
13. What is the name of the man who escapes the Keflavik air base and uses a radio to spread news of the attack?
(a) Commander Daniel Edwards.
(b) Ed Morris.
(c) Patrick Flynn.
(d) First Lieutenant Mike Edwards.
14. What element of the Russian offensive does Pavel Alekeseyev say is crucial to its success?
(c) Extensive military action.
(d) Shock and awe.
15. Of the people who died in the attack on Russia, how many were children?
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the men have rejoined Chernyavin, they blow up the van they were in. How?
2. Who discovers the refinery fire?
3. The Russian ship is repainted to look like a merchant ship, but they are not in normal shipping lanes. What does the crew do when the U.S. Navy questions them about this?
4. As Chernyavin's men are traveling, they find themselves face-to-face with a tank. They then hear Chernyavin's voice telling them to surrender themselves. Why does this surprise them?
5. What is Toland's response to the news of the generals' executions, and how do his superiors react?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)