|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The night before the attack, a movie was televised throughout Russia. What was the movie about?
(a) Nuclear War.
(b) A German attack on Russia.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Russian military.
2. Where is the air base in Iceland?
3. What does the Politburo decide after Sergetov's report?
(a) That they need oil, and that they must take it by force.
(b) That secretly manufacturing weapons will solve their problems.
(c) That they need weapons, and should negotiate with Europe to get them.
(d) That they need oil, and that they must purchase as much as possible.
4. When Toland is recalled to duty and is preparing to leave his home, he hears a news report about something that occurs at the Kremlin. What was it?
(a) There was an explosion at the Kremlin.
(b) Another oil refinery is attacked.
(c) An important government official is kidnapped.
(d) There was a riot over the lack of oil.
5. What is the name of the alleged terrorist who admits to the attack on Russia?
(a) Horst Mahler.
(b) Axel Springer.
(c) Gerhardt Falken.
(d) Franz Meinhof.
6. Why does the captain of the Julius Fucik decide to take that course of action?
(a) The captain is afraid his enemies will discover Russia's plans for Red Storm.
(b) The captain plans to return with reinforcements.
(c) The boat is too damaged to dock properly.
(d) The captain is certain that he can destroy the air base alone.
7. How many Muslims attack the oil refinery in Nizhnevartovsk?
8. Why is the Russian Foreign Minister's speech so significant?
(a) He's trying to draw attention away from Russia's weakened state.
(b) He's trying to divert attention from Russia's upcoming offensive.
(c) He's trying to intimidate other countries with boasts about Russia's well-being.
(d) He's trying to gain favor with other countries by asking for their help.
9. What is Toland's response to the news of the generals' executions, and how do his superiors react?
(a) Toland thinks it's trivial; his superiors agree.
(b) Toland thinks it's important; his superiors don't.
(c) Toland thinks it's important; his superiors have him investigate furthur.
(d) Toland thinks it's trivial; his superiors think it's important.
10. Toland reveals what he knows to a high-ranking military official. What is that man's full name?
(a) Colonel Keith Oberhausen.
(b) Commander Raymond Jarvis.
(c) Sergeant Chuck Meyers.
(d) Vice Admiral Richard Pipes.
11. Alekeseyev is promised that the Russian Navy can achieve a certain goal. What is it?
(a) They can destroy NATO.
(b) They can return home soon.
(c) They can defeat the Americans.
(d) They can "close" the Atlantic.
12. What clue does Toland discover that indicates Russia's instability?
(a) Russian battery shortages.
(b) Hijacking of oil shipments across the country.
(c) Demonstrations and speeches in the heart of the Kremlin.
(d) Food riots in Moscow.
13. How long is the Russian military offensive supposed to last?
(a) Three to four years.
(b) Seven to nine days.
(c) Six to eight months.
(d) Two to three weeks.
14. The Commander of the USS Pharris receives orders about how to deal with ships he encounters. What are those orders?
(a) He is to engage any East Bloc warship or merchant ship.
(b) He is to evade any Soviet ships he encounters.
(c) He is to follow any enemy ships he finds, but is not to attack them.
(d) He is to call for reinforcements any time he encounters enemy ships.
15. The execution of four Russian generals has a profound impact on the rest of the Russian military. How do other military officers respond?
(a) They are angry that the Russian government interfered with the military.
(b) They are pleased that rogue officers were caught and punished.
(c) By being more deeply committed to the Russian government.
(d) By being fearful toward the Russian government.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chernyavin praise the man who blew up the van?
2. What is the full name of the author of the article about the importance of the Russian oil fields?
3. The Russian KGB takes what political body hostage?
4. What does Sergetov note about the Politburo's decision to go to war for oil?
5. After the Russians have gained control of the air base, what is their one significant problem?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)