|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word "zapiska" translate to in English (128)?
2. Who is the CIA's chief of station that lectures Nate in Chapter 2?
3. What is the English meaning of the Russian word "koshmar" (206)?
4. Referring to the AVR, the narrator states in Chapter 6, "The school had been renamed several times during the Cold War, from the Higher Intelligence School to the Red Banner Institute to the AVR, but veterans simply called it" what (62)?
5. For how long has MARBLE been working for the CIA in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are considered as different incentives for Dominika to become a double agent? What incentive is the one that works?
2. What conflict emerges between the CIA and FBI in Chapter 19?
3. What ended Dominika's ballet career? How did it affect her?
4. What position does Vanya Egorov hold? How did he come to this position?
5. Who is Sergey Matorin and how is he described?
6. Who are ARCHIE and VERONICA?
7. Why does Dominika seduce Dimitri Ustinov? What occurs at his apartment?
8. What are Dominika's first perceptions of Korchnoi?
9. How does Dominika meet Nate? What is Dominika's objective?
10. What is an SDR and what is its purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motivations and actions of SWAN and Jennifer Santini in the novel. For whom do these characters work? What information are each of them passing to the Russians? What becomes of each of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of symbolism in Red Sparrow. What are some of the recurring symbols that appear throughout the narrative? What does each symbol represent? How do these symbols connect to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of MARBLE in the novel. What is MARBLE's true identity? For how long has MARBLE been working for the U.S.? In what capacity? What are the dangers that MARBLE faces?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)