|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ji Yun begin crying one day?
2. Why was Ji Li sent back to Shang Hai in the summer?
3. How long was Dad gone when he came to the house again?
4. What charges were held against Dad?
5. What did Ji Li do when she was injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ji Li learn how to raise in Jr. High, and why?
2. What did Ji Li say to Comrade Ma about her family?
3. How did Ji Li cheer up Ji Yun when she was bullied?
4. What did Zhang Xin say when he first met Ji Li?
5. What did Ji Li find when she woke up on Chinese New Year?
6. What did Comrade Ma say when Ji Li asked to have her name changed?
7. What did Zhang tell Ji Li when she asked about being chosen to help with the Exhibition?
8. How did Ji Li feel about not knowing anyone in her Jr. High class?
9. Why did Ji Li stop going to school all together?
10. What happened on the morning of the opening of the Exhibition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death and mortality were two integral themes of this plot. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Father and Zhang were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how did these differences affect their lives, their family, and their role in Ji Li's life?
Essay Topic 3
What did Father do to protect his family from the searches, and how did this work out for them?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)