|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ji Li learn about the New China campaign?
2. What group was Ji Li selected to be a part of at the beginning of the book?
3. What announced the search parties?
4. Where was Ji Li supposed to post advertisements when classes were canceled?
5. What did the newspapers say the schools in China were producing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ji Li respond to the bike incident?
2. What kind of honor was Ji Li given at the beginning of the book?
3. How did An Yi's grandmother die?
4. Why did Ji Li smell smoke in her house one night?
5. Why was Ji Li's name included on a poster?
6. What did the sound of drums and gongs mean?
7. What made Ji Li happy to skip school?
8. How did Ji Li choose what to put on her posters?
9. Why did Ji Yung get in his first fights?
10. What was Ji Li's living situation at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturity and aging was a strong theme in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how significant was it to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Ji Li endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Father and Zhang were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how did these differences affect their lives, their family, and their role in Ji Li's life?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)