|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group was Ji Li selected to be a part of at the beginning of the book?
2. What did Six Fingers' group do?
3. Where did Ji Li learn about the New China campaign?
4. Where did Ji Li hide after turning down the chance to be part of a special group?
5. How long was Ji Li sick with a fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Ji Li yell at her mother?
2. Why did Ji Li smell smoke in her house one night?
3. How did Ji Li get injured in the rice fields?
4. How did Grandmother feel about the Four lds, and how did Ji Li respond to this?
5. What happened after Ji Li was injured in the fields?
6. What did Zhang Xin say when he first met Ji Li?
7. What did Ji Li say to Comrade Ma about her family?
8. What made Ji Li so nervous about presenting at the Class Education Exhibition?
9. What did the sound of drums and gongs mean?
10. Why was Ji Li forced to go back to Shang Hai in the summer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death and mortality were two integral themes of this plot. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Father and Zhang were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how did these differences affect their lives, their family, and their role in Ji Li's life?
Essay Topic 3
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where did they appear, and how did the presence of these feelings change the people who were involved in those situations?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)