|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Dad take Grandma on a picnic?
2. What was stolen from Ji Yung to get him in a fight?
3. What was Ji Li most upset about while she was sick with a fever?
4. How did Ji Li feel about taking over the cooking in her house?
5. What were the Red Successors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Red Guard asked to borrow a bike?
2. How did Grandmother feel about the Four lds, and how did Ji Li respond to this?
3. How did Mom preserve her ancestor's clothing?
4. Why did Ji Li have to take over the cooking in her house and how did she feel about this?
5. Why did Ji Li smell smoke in her house one night?
6. Why was Ji Li's name included on a poster?
7. What made Ji Li happy to skip school?
8. What made Ji Li get a lecture from the Red Successors?
9. Why did Ji Li turn down the honor given her at the beginning of the book?
10. Why were classes canceled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each of the Jiang siblings had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the siblings, and how did their individuality affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Death and mortality were two integral themes of this plot. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
How was the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which people were most affected by this?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)