|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Grandpa Hong's stall when classes were canceled?
2. Why did Ji Li's father not want her to be a part of the group she was selected for?
3. What was the New China campaign trying to stomp out?
4. What did the mop on the balcony mean?
5. What was Ji Li most upset about while she was sick with a fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Grandmother feel about the Four lds, and how did Ji Li respond to this?
2. Why was Ji Li unable to be in the Red Successors?
3. What did the sound of drums and gongs mean?
4. Why did Ji Li smell smoke in her house one night?
5. What was a Four Old?
6. What made Ji Li get a lecture from the Red Successors?
7. What kind of honor was Ji Li given at the beginning of the book?
8. What did Ji Li have to do outside of Jiang-Xi's house?
9. Why did Ji Yung get in his first fights?
10. What did Ji Li do at Grandpa Hong's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the relationship between Ji Li and her father change throughout the course of the story, and how did these changes affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 2
Ji Li endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how was the plot altered because of these incidents?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)