|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Ji Li included in a poster?
2. Where did Dad take the children on a picnic?
3. Why did Ji Li's father not want her to be a part of the group she was selected for?
4. What did Mom make a comforter out of?
5. How did An Yi comfort Ji Li while she was sick with a fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were classes canceled?
2. What made Ji Li get a lecture from the Red Successors?
3. Why did Ji Li have to take over the cooking in her house and how did she feel about this?
4. What was a Four Old?
5. What kind of honor was Ji Li given at the beginning of the book?
6. What did the sound of drums and gongs mean?
7. What was Ji Li's living situation at the beginning of the book?
8. What did Ji Li do at Grandpa Hong's?
9. How did Ji Li respond to the bike incident?
10. How did Grandmother feel about the Four lds, and how did Ji Li respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturity and aging was a strong theme in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how significant was it to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Ji Li endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
How was the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which people were most affected by this?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)