|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mare's brother Shade die?
2. In Chapter 16, how long does Walsh say it will take to restore the power when it goes off?
3. In Chapter 17, how long has Mare been training?
4. In Chapter 20, how were the Reds that were captured trying to escape?
5. At the end of Chapter 19, how many glasses of wine does it appear that King Tiberias has had?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mare want Julian to do in Chapter 21?
2. Why does Mare want to scream when Belicos Lerolan greets her in the receiving line in Chapter 19?
3. Who does Cal fight during a trial at the end of Chapter 16?
4. What does Evangeline create to fight Mare in Chapter 17?
5. Why is it safe for Farley to take Mare and Maven to the City of Ruins?
6. What does Mare learn about her brother, Shade's, death?
7. What does Mare see in the mirror in Chapter 19?
8. What members of the Scarlet Guard are captured in Chapter 20, and what is the condition of each one?
9. According to Julian, what is the difference between power and ability for a Silver?
10. Why does Maven want to join the Scarlet Guard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cal takes his role as future king very seriously. Why does he tell Mare that he does not have the luxury of being selfish and putting his own needs and wants first?
Essay Topic 2
Norta has been experiencing war for 100 years. Why is there a war, and how does the war affect the citizens of Norta, especially the Reds?
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of the novel, Mare is given an earring by Kilorn. What earrings is Mare already wearing? Why does Kilorn give her another earring? What do the earrings symbolize to Mare and why?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)