|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frederic immediately put on the amulet?
2. Why doesn't Measure want to go home without Alvin?
3. For what does Ta-Kumsaw ask Napoleon?
4. What does Mike Fink think of life?
5. In what direction is Ta-Kumsaw's army to lure Old Hickory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the oath of a land at peace and an angry land?
2. How do Alvin and Measure differ in the way they view their family?
3. Why doesn't Ta-Kumsaw walk away with his men when he has the chance?
4. What is the rule regarding the letters?
5. What do the Reds do when faced with death at the hand of the Whites?
6. How does Ta-Kumsaw survive wounds that would have felled any other man and how do the enemy soldiers react to this?
7. What does Tenska-Tawa promise his people as they wait to die?
8. What specifically hurts Alvin when he examines his brother?
9. What does Alvin know will happen by the third time he tells the story of what happened at Tippy-Canoe?
10. For what reasons does Frederic don the amulet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the emergence of the Christian religion in this novel. How does it interfere with the average individual's practice of knacks? Is Armor-of-God's intolerance of knackery a preview of what is to come in North America (think Salem Witch Trials) or not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alvin's immunity to the Red man feeling what he was changing in the environment. How does this provide a convenient way for Alvin to save Measure and himself from torture? What do you think would have happened if Alvin had been noticed doing his knackery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Governor Harrison as a character. What kinds of traits does he embody? How is he different from all of the other characters who seemed bad throughout the novel? What kinds of traits does he have that are positive? What kinds of traits does he have that could be considered negative?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)