|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the Reds are left?
2. Why does Gilbert applaud a horrible show?
3. Why is Mike Fink ashamed?
4. How many Red's die over the thought that two White boys have died?
5. Who does Measure meet along the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting to note about the way Alvin makes the journey with Ta-Kumsaw?
2. Why doesn't Alvin leave when he is feeling so lonely in Ta-Kumsaw's presence?
3. What is the only way that Ta-Kumsaw can get to Alvin and why does he need to do so?
4. For what reasons does Frederic don the amulet?
5. Why doesn't Ta-Kumsaw walk away with his men when he has the chance?
6. What does Alvin know will happen by the third time he tells the story of what happened at Tippy-Canoe?
7. What is Ta-Kumsaw convinced is the reason for Alvin's grief? What is Taleswapper's argument?
8. What does Napoleon tell Ta-Kumsaw to say to Alvin, and what is Alvin's response?
9. What specifically hurts Alvin when he examines his brother?
10. What is the difference between the oath of a land at peace and an angry land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between Alvin Miller Sr. and Armor-of-God, especially when it comes to treating the Reds. How does Alvin Miller Sr.'s reaction belie his true feelings in regards to the Reds? What would this be called today, and what would be the ramifications of inciting violence towards a specific group?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difference in Measure and Alvin's approach to family. What is the most important thing in regards to Measure, the thing that trumps all other considerations? Is this a narrow perspective? Explain. Is Alvin's concern a greater cause in general? With whose opinion do you identify and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Governor Harrison as a character. What kinds of traits does he embody? How is he different from all of the other characters who seemed bad throughout the novel? What kinds of traits does he have that are positive? What kinds of traits does he have that could be considered negative?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)