|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Measure take on the curse when he isn't obligated?
2. For a cause what will men of Napoleons army let die?
3. What is in the pouch that Alvin gives to Measure?
4. Of what is Alvin sure?
5. For what does Ta-Kumsaw ask Napoleon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does La Fayette wish that Napoleon were merely a "vain posturer with a gift for seducing the loyalty of his betters"(266)?
2. What does Taleswapper have in his bag?
3. What is the difference between the oath of a land at peace and an angry land?
4. How does Ta-Kumsaw survive wounds that would have felled any other man and how do the enemy soldiers react to this?
5. Why is Measure offended that the Red men haven't treated him fairly in the Gatlopp?
6. What do the Reds do when faced with death at the hand of the Whites?
7. Why does La Fayette want Napoleon out of command?
8. What is Ta-Kumsaw convinced is the reason for Alvin's grief? What is Taleswapper's argument?
9. How does Mike Fink view life and death? Why isn't he proud of killing Measure?
10. How is Prophetstown a miraculous place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the search for a dream beast which Lolla-Wossiky endeavors. Is this a common theme among indigenous peoples? Is the reason for the search a true reason? Cite sources that prove your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the difference between Alvin Miller Sr. and Armor-of-God, especially when it comes to treating the Reds. How does Alvin Miller Sr.'s reaction belie his true feelings in regards to the Reds? What would this be called today, and what would be the ramifications of inciting violence towards a specific group?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lolla-Wossiky's interpretation of Christianity. Discuss Armor and Thrower's interpretation of Red religion. Which appears, at first glance, to be more accurate? Which is portrayed in a better light in this novel? Explain how you have come to your conclusions and cite quotes from the book to support your argument.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)