|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to voice their desire for blood for the deaths of Alvin and Measure?
2. When does Alvin Miller Jr. feel small?
3. Where will White men stay, according to Tenska-Tawa?
4. What is Lolla-Wossiky's woken up name?
5. What does Armor-of-God know without asking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different regarding the way Alvin changes things compared to the way other White men change things?
2. What message do the Reds intend to send home to Alvin and Measure's parents? How do they manage to do this?
3. What confuses Alvin in regards to the Shining Man's request and lesson?
4. What does Harrison attempt to do to Hooch, and what is Hooch's response to this?
5. When the Prophet abandons Alvin, what does Alvin witness on his own in the tornado?
6. Why doesn't Ta-Kumsaw beat Lolla-Wossiky for drinking, when he beats any other Shaw-Nee for doing so?
7. Who are the primary suspects in Armor's mind in regards to the abductions?
8. What is the difference in the way Hooch is treated at Carthage City as opposed to the way he is treated by the US Marshals in Suskwahenny?
9. What kinds of things does Alvin do when the Chok-Taw try to torture the abducted boys?
10. Why does Alvin think he has failed in the Shining Man's request "to make all things whole"? What doesn't he understand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between Alvin Miller Sr. and Armor-of-God, especially when it comes to treating the Reds. How does Alvin Miller Sr.'s reaction belie his true feelings in regards to the Reds? What would this be called today, and what would be the ramifications of inciting violence towards a specific group?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Governor Harrison as a character. What kinds of traits does he embody? How is he different from all of the other characters who seemed bad throughout the novel? What kinds of traits does he have that are positive? What kinds of traits does he have that could be considered negative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hoochs' ability as a spark. What is the only thing that keeps him in check? How does this fail to deter him once he is threatened with death if he doesn't comply with Harrison's request? How does this act inevitably bring about Hoochs' demise?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)