|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ta-Kumsaw represent to Hooch?
2. Why does Lolla-Wossiky cry when it grows bitterly cold every year?
3. What do the people of Vigor Church call Armor?
4. Why doesn't Ta-Kumsaw hate the White man?
5. What won't Armor let the people of Vigor Church build?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Napoleon Bonaparte do, and how does it make Frederic feel?
2. Why has no one ever called Eleanor a pretty woman?
3. Why does Armor-of-God wish to be governor?
4. What is different regarding the way Alvin changes things compared to the way other White men change things?
5. Who are the primary suspects in Armor's mind in regards to the abductions?
6. About what had Hooch and Harrison originally seen eye-to-eye?
7. Why does Andrew Jackson feel dirty?
8. What is interesting to Lolla regarding Alvin's command over the roaches within his home?
9. What story does Ta-Kumsaw tell the red bird?
10. Why does Alvin think he has failed in the Shining Man's request "to make all things whole"? What doesn't he understand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What might have occurred had Alvin gone back with Measure and saved him as the torture was occurring? Would this have been more likely to have saved the Reds at Tippy-Canoe? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Governor Harrison as a character. What kinds of traits does he embody? How is he different from all of the other characters who seemed bad throughout the novel? What kinds of traits does he have that are positive? What kinds of traits does he have that could be considered negative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between Alvin Miller Sr. and Armor-of-God, especially when it comes to treating the Reds. How does Alvin Miller Sr.'s reaction belie his true feelings in regards to the Reds? What would this be called today, and what would be the ramifications of inciting violence towards a specific group?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)