|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Governor Bill Harrison do in the afternoon following the fire?
2. What does Alvin think his father should do?
3. What has Tom Jefferson done to make things worse regarding the Reds in Hooch's opinion?
4. How old is Governor Bill Harrison's new wife?
5. Of what is Armor convinced in regards to the disappearance of Alvin and Measure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does La Fayette want Napoleon out of command?
2. How does Ta-Kumsaw survive wounds that would have felled any other man and how do the enemy soldiers react to this?
3. Why has no one ever called Eleanor a pretty woman?
4. How is "dying brave" kind of the Reds who catch the Wee-Aw?
5. Why doesn't Alvin leave when he is feeling so lonely in Ta-Kumsaw's presence?
6. What confuses Alvin in regards to the Shining Man's request and lesson?
7. Why does Lolla want to find his dream beast?
8. What does Taleswapper have in his bag?
9. What does Harrison attempt to do to Hooch, and what is Hooch's response to this?
10. Who is the second person to greet Alvin, and for what kinds of things are both people looking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the emergence of the Christian religion in this novel. How does it interfere with the average individual's practice of knacks? Is Armor-of-God's intolerance of knackery a preview of what is to come in North America (think Salem Witch Trials) or not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare American frontier towns to small towns that exist present day. What kinds of characteristics are similar and what things are different? Taking away technological advancement as a main difference, what other main differences exist in small towns of today? What do you think is the reason for this difference?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the mutual animosity between the Reds and the Whites in the story. Do they have reason to fear each other? Why or why not? Is this a common theme throughout history? Explain.
This section contains 1,813 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)