|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a dream of John and then fights with Maya?
2. What is raging beside the rover that is run aground?
3. Where does the surviving group of colonists take shelter days after Ann's suicide attempt?
4. Whose remains does Nadia find in the crater full of dead bodies?
5. In what basin does Nadia see a sea of ice and water?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Arkady explain the need for money, depending upon the kind of world one lives in?
2. Why are the primary hundred going to be executed?
3. What is important about maintaining a base on Mars in relationship to Earth?
4. Why do Frank and Maya argue and separate after he has a dream?
5. How does Simon reveal himself to be a strong force when he gets angry with Ann?
6. Why does Ann crumble in mental stability as the destruction of Mars occurs?
7. How is John revealed as a complex personality in Part 5?
8. How is Ann reunited with her son?
9. What does Frank learn from meeting the miners from Florida?
10. How does Peter Clayborne escape death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare "Red Mars" with another of Robinson's other books in his Mars trilogy. Which is, in your opinion, better? Explain. What future scenarios might you want to see in upcoming books? Which characters would you like to see portrayed? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Certain relationships create a good foundation for the story. When Kasei asks his parents about his birth, they all interact in a very convincing manner. Describe why this relationship is believable.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Red Mars. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Robinson choose to use these places in Red Mars?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)