|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ann and Simon send when they are trapped inside a crater?
2. Which investigators really work for transnationals?
3. What organization is Helmut in charge of?
4. Who is the friend of Hiroko that hates terraforming?
5. Who blames herself/himself for the death of the person that rescues the rover that is run aground?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Coyote, terraforming, and sabotage linked to John?
2. Why are the primary hundred going to be executed?
3. What does Arkady's assertion that there are "guns under the table" foreshadow in the chapters after Part 5?
4. What are Helmut's motivations for working on Mars?
5. On the fourteenth day of the revolution, why does Arkady's arm go up in flames?
6. How does Phyllis's desire for money become apparent through her efforts on Mars?
7. When riots begin in Mars, what does Frank discover as the city is in revolution?
8. How does it does become clear that the terraforming effort is not working as planned, affecting Mars in destructive ways?
9. How does Arkady explain the need for money, depending upon the kind of world one lives in?
10. What is important about maintaining a base on Mars in relationship to Earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robinson is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them, and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Maya. What is her role in the story? What was Robinson trying to accomplish by creating Maya's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare "Red Mars" with another of Robinson's other books in his Mars trilogy. Which is, in your opinion, better? Explain. What future scenarios might you want to see in upcoming books? Which characters would you like to see portrayed? Why?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)