|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has approved the dispatch of GEMs?
2. When a windmill crashes, who goes out to check on it?
3. Who does Nadia get angry with after discovering that the terraforming of Mars has begun?
4. What does the landscape religion promote in terms of maintaining the surface of Mars?
5. Where does Nadia suggest picking up a signal from to find a way to navigate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is population size controlled within the GEM and how does it adapt to plant life?
2. What is areophany and how is it in tune with nature?
3. Why does Selim get angry after talking to Frank about John?
4. When Michel is disturbed by a dark skinned man, what ends up happening to him that leaves him naked?
5. What do the Reds led by Ann believe?
6. Why are GEMS made by the scientists?
7. Why does Maya think she is hallucinating in the fields?
8. How does the Ares crew build a calendar?
9. How does terraforming create two opposing groups at Ares?
10. How is Maya described in Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robinson uses more the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Red Mars. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Robinson choose to use these places in Red Mars?
Essay Topic 3
In Red Mars, Robinson's Ares society shows a conscious selectivity about technology. What do you think of the technology that Hiroko tries to use for her own purposes? Which aspects do you find more or less appealing? How is technology associated with power and rebellion?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)