|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are both Frank and John attracted to?
2. Who discovers John's body outside the dome?
3. Who argues the team should go to the polar cap to take samples?
4. Whom does Frank accuse of trying to block him from the treaty rewrite?
5. Who reminds Nadia that terraforming will destroy the pole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people like Michel fail to do well on Mars, according to his theory?
2. How does Nadia recognize that their technology is advanced and causes changes to Mars?
3. Why does Maya get involved sexually with John?
4. Why are GEMS made by the scientists?
5. What does Anna admit to Nadia about living in duality?
6. When Michel is disturbed by a dark skinned man, what ends up happening to him that leaves him naked?
7. What does Maya initially feel about John and Frank and their relationship?
8. Where is John's body found, and why can't Frank revive him?
9. How does Maya get involved in a sexual relationship with Frank on her off time from drills?
10. What do the Reds led by Ann believe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robinson uses more than one motif of grief and loss. Identify at least two motifs about grief and loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Robinson uses more the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Through the main characters, Robinson offers a lens to view the government and corruption via the corporations and other groups. He describes some of the officials in Red Mars as self-serving. Describe the typical government/corporation worker in Red Mars. Do you think this is realistic and characteristic of today? Do you think the issues that Robinson discusses are still relevant today and if so, in what ways?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)