|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who talks Arkady into waiting for the UN to decide on whether to terraform?
2. What does Nadia assist in building that is underground and pressurized?
3. Of the final hundred that would travel to Mars as the first colonizers, how many are women?
4. In terms of ecological economics, what does the landscape religion promote about an individual in the society?
5. Who tells Maya that John has been attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank wear a mask during the celebration, and how does it make him feel?
2. How does Nadia recognize that their technology is advanced and causes changes to Mars?
3. How is Maya described in Part 2?
4. When did people learn about life on other planets, according to the first chapter?
5. What do the Reds led by Ann believe?
6. What does Anna admit to Nadia about living in duality?
7. How does Michel evaluate people psychologically on Mars?
8. How does Frank fool Selim, and how does Selim respond when Frank speaks badly of John to him for a second time?
9. How are the first hundred colonists selected to go to Mars?
10. How does the Ares crew build a calendar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Certain relationships create a good foundation for the story. When Kasei asks his parents about his birth, they all interact in a very convincing manner. Describe why this relationship is believable.
Essay Topic 2
Red Mars is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery establishes connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. The author uses imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this science fiction novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Maya. What is her role in the story? What was Robinson trying to accomplish by creating Maya's character in the novel?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)