|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nadia become friends with on the trip to the pole?
2. Who gives a speech to the people of Nicosia?
3. Who does Maya walk in the bioforest with?
4. Who puts the pesticides on Selim's shirt without Selim's knowledge?
5. Who is in awe of Hiroko as he/she works on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nadia notice when her expedition returns to the Ares colony?
2. How does Nadia lose her finger?
3. What do the Greens led by Sax believe?
4. What does Anna admit to Nadia about living in duality?
5. How are the first hundred colonists selected to go to Mars?
6. What do the Reds led by Ann believe?
7. Why does Frank wear a mask during the celebration, and how does it make him feel?
8. When Maya talks to Michel about her love life problems, how does he respond?
9. When Michel is disturbed by a dark skinned man, what ends up happening to him that leaves him naked?
10. Why does Selim get angry after talking to Frank about John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Politics are also referred to in the book. Robinson refers to the politics of the society of the futuristic Red Mars set during the 21st century. How do the politics Robinson describes in the book compare to that of his own world? Do you think politics are an important part of the book? How else could Robinson incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Robinson employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of Red Mars ethics?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Red Mars? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)