|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Amelia's last name?
2. What is the name of the family at the house?
3. Which of the following was Harper's first car?
4. In which year does the story begin?
5. Lily calls out to ____, calling him "da-da."
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the opening scene of the prologue. Who is the woman and what is her situation?
2. Explain Hayley's irrational behavior at work.
3. Discuss the scene in the modern day Harper House.
4. Why does Hayley feel guilty about her attraction to Harper?
5. What happens when Amelia arrives at Harper House?
6. What traumatic event has happened to the woman?
7. What realization comes to Hayley as the result of her dream?
8. Discuss Hayley's childhood.
9. How does Reginald act toward Amelia after the baby's birth? What is Amelia's reaction?
10. Who is David? What is his advice to Hayley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Roberts' brilliant use of foreshadowing throughout the book. Give at least three examples of foreshadowing. Give details and the purpose of using the technique. How else could the reader learn about the important information? What other technique might have been used?
Essay Topic 2
There is a strong connection between Amelia and Hayley due to a number of factors. What are the factors? Who chose to open the connection? Compare and contrast Hayley and Amelia's circumstances and their connections to each other and to Harper House.
Essay Topic 3
Nora Roberts is well known as a prolific and successful author of many series and novels. Read a biography on Nora Roberts. Learn about her life, career as a writer, etc. Create a character description as if Roberts was one of her own characters. How might Roberts portray herself in a novel? Would she be a detective, villain, or victim? Explain.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)