|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat say that he's known for some time in Chapter 28?
2. What does Pat see on Eggleston's desk?
3. According to Madeline, how was she able to win Pat over?
4. How does Pat answer Eggleston's questions?
5. What does Eggleston want in exchange for Pat's information?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 19, why is Eggleston acting so despicable towards Pat?
2. Why is Pat dismayed upon entering Eggleston's office?
3. Does Pat trust Madeline?
4. Why is Pat's announcement to the men at the meeting not as effective as he was expecting?
5. Is Doc's plan ruined because of Edgar's announcement?
6. Does Doc have a happy ending?
7. What does Pat realize about Doc in Chapter 17?
8. Why is Pat stunned in Chapter 23?
9. As of Chapter 26, are Pat and Lila in similar situations? Use evidence from the story to support your argument.
10. According to Eggleston, why was Pat paroled and not pardoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters who are morally upstanding and those characters who are morally corrupt.
Essay Topic 2
Doc's outward appearance of an easy-going man contrasts with his manipulation of Pat's current living situation. How is he able to control Pat's actions without acting controlling towards Pat?
Essay Topic 3
How do the setting and tone of the story contribute to the plot?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)