|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat see on Eggleston's desk?
2. What does Madeline suggest that taunts Pat?
3. Whom does Pat decide he can fully trust?
4. What rumor is supposedly being spread about Pat?
5. Where is Eggleston's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Madeline's and Bill's scheme?
2. Why should Henry be troubled?
3. Why does Pat wonder if Lila killed Eggleston?
4. Is Doc's plan ruined because of Edgar's announcement?
5. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
6. When Pat goes to Eggleston's office, why does he wait until Eggleston has left his office before entering?
7. What would Senator Burkman's loss in the election mean?
8. Whom will Doc's scheme benefit?
9. As of Chapter 26, are Pat and Lila in similar situations? Use evidence from the story to support your argument.
10. Does Doc have a happy ending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of justice utilized in the story? What are some examples in the novel of when justice prevailed? What are some examples of when justice was not served?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of greed is seen throughout the novel, especially in the corrupt world of Doc Luther. Examine how greed affects Doc Luther's life. Use and expand on at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How are the central female characters portrayed in the novel? What role do Madeline, Lila Luther, and Myrtle Briscoe play in the development of the plot?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)