|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat do when he returns home in Chapter 23?
2. What shocking revelation does Pat come by in Chapter 25?
3. What was Madeline's assignment in Doc's scheme?
4. Who does not believe Pat when he denies the rumor?
5. According to Madeline, how was she able to win Pat over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
2. Why does Pat stop attacking Bill Hardesty?
3. Why is Pat's announcement to the men at the meeting not as effective as he was expecting?
4. Whom will Doc's scheme benefit?
5. Why does Lila insist on a ride from Pat in Chapter 27?
6. Does Doc have a happy ending?
7. As of Chapter 26, are Pat and Lila in similar situations? Use evidence from the story to support your argument.
8. What is Madeline's and Bill's scheme?
9. Why isn't Madeline arrested in Chapter 29?
10. Does Pat trust Madeline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Doc and Pat. How are their personalities different? How are their life stories different? Are there any similarities between the two men?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the National Phalanx and how its "Red Scare" tactics are reflective of the period in which the novel was written.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of violent episodes in the novel, often including the protagonist. Discuss the concept of violence in "Recoil".
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)