|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bill Hardesty upset with Doc?
2. Why does Senator Burkman begin to cry?
3. What does Pat say that he's known for some time in Chapter 28?
4. Pat wonders if whom killed Eggleston?
5. After the incident with Eggleston's body, where does Pat go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pat stunned in Chapter 23?
2. In Chapter 19, why is Eggleston acting so despicable towards Pat?
3. What does Pat discover when he goes to Doc's apartment after the meeting?
4. According to Eggleston, why was Pat paroled and not pardoned?
5. Why should Henry be troubled?
6. Does Doc have a happy ending?
7. What does Pat realize about Doc in Chapter 17?
8. Why is Pat relieved after reading the newspaper article about Eggleston's death?
9. Why is Pat's announcement to the men at the meeting not as effective as he was expecting?
10. Does Pat trust Madeline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Doc's outward appearance of an easy-going man contrasts with his manipulation of Pat's current living situation. How is he able to control Pat's actions without acting controlling towards Pat?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the power and influence Doc has over Lila. Explore how the relationship mutated from a doctor-patient relationship to what it is in the novel and how it devolves at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of greed is seen throughout the novel, especially in the corrupt world of Doc Luther. Examine how greed affects Doc Luther's life. Use and expand on at least three examples from the text.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)