|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom will Doc frame for his supposed murder?
2. In Billy Hardesty's plan, who will split the insurance money?
3. What does Pat intend to do at Eggleston's office?
4. What will Henry need to do to ready Pat's room in Chapter 24?
5. What does Pat conclude after listening to Lila's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pat dismayed upon entering Eggleston's office?
2. What would Senator Burkman's loss in the election mean?
3. What is Madeline's and Bill's scheme?
4. What does Pat realize about Doc in Chapter 17?
5. As of Chapter 26, are Pat and Lila in similar situations? Use evidence from the story to support your argument.
6. In Chapter 19, why is Eggleston acting so despicable towards Pat?
7. Why does Pat tell Eggleston the truth when Eggleston questions him?
8. According to Eggleston, why was Pat paroled and not pardoned?
9. Why does Pat stop attacking Bill Hardesty?
10. Does Pat trust Madeline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of intrigue and suspense to pique the reader's interest. Is he successful? How does this story compare to other novels you have read of the same genre?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of greed is seen throughout the novel, especially in the corrupt world of Doc Luther. Examine how greed affects Doc Luther's life. Use and expand on at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationships Pat has with Lila and with Madeline. Use examples from the story to reinforce your opinions.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)