|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is responsible for exposing Arnholt?
2. What happens to Pat in Chapter 30?
3. What does Pat do when he returns home in Chapter 23?
4. Who arranged Doc's life insurance policies?
5. Who does Pat believe is using him for their own purposes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bill Hardesty's scheme?
2. Why is Pat relieved after reading the newspaper article about Eggleston's death?
3. When Pat goes to Eggleston's office, why does he wait until Eggleston has left his office before entering?
4. Why is Pat dismayed upon entering Eggleston's office?
5. Why should Henry be troubled?
6. Does Pat trust Madeline?
7. As of Chapter 26, are Pat and Lila in similar situations? Use evidence from the story to support your argument.
8. What does Bill Hardesty inadvertently acknowledge in Chapter 22?
9. Why does Pat stop attacking Bill Hardesty?
10. Why does Pat tell Eggleston the truth when Eggleston questions him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationships Pat has with Lila and with Madeline. Use examples from the story to reinforce your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
How are the central female characters portrayed in the novel? What role do Madeline, Lila Luther, and Myrtle Briscoe play in the development of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Pat visits the roadhouse diner on two occasions. What is the significance of the roadhouse diner? Use the physical description and the times Pat goes to the diner to guide your answer.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)