|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes to jail in Chapter 30?
2. What is the first newspaper article about that Pat reads in Chapter 24?
3. What is just as easy to get as parole?
4. What is Eggleston holding?
5. How long does Eggleston think about Pat's answers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pat tell Eggleston the truth when Eggleston questions him?
2. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
3. What would Senator Burkman's loss in the election mean?
4. Does Pat trust Madeline?
5. What does Pat discover when he goes to Doc's apartment after the meeting?
6. Why is Pat stunned in Chapter 23?
7. As of Chapter 26, are Pat and Lila in similar situations? Use evidence from the story to support your argument.
8. Why is Pat relieved after reading the newspaper article about Eggleston's death?
9. What is Madeline's and Bill's scheme?
10. What does Bill Hardesty inadvertently acknowledge in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the central female characters portrayed in the novel? What role do Madeline, Lila Luther, and Myrtle Briscoe play in the development of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationships Pat has with Lila and with Madeline. Use examples from the story to reinforce your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss politics in "Recoil." Is it portrayed in a positive or negative light? How does it affect our protagonist?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)