|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the real Mrs. Luther?
2. What was Madeline's assignment in Doc's scheme?
3. When do Pat and Eggleston plan to meet?
4. What is the weather like when Pat goes to his office in Chapter 18?
5. Who is contacted by the media at the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom will Doc's scheme benefit?
2. Does Pat trust Madeline?
3. What does Bill Hardesty inadvertently acknowledge in Chapter 22?
4. Does Doc have a happy ending?
5. What would Senator Burkman's loss in the election mean?
6. Why does Pat tell Eggleston the truth when Eggleston questions him?
7. According to Eggleston, why was Pat paroled and not pardoned?
8. What does Pat believe Doc's plan is when Pat approaches Eggleston?
9. Why does Pat decline Rita Kennedy's offer of future job security?
10. Why is Pat relieved after reading the newspaper article about Eggleston's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of justice utilized in the story? What are some examples in the novel of when justice prevailed? What are some examples of when justice was not served?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of greed is seen throughout the novel, especially in the corrupt world of Doc Luther. Examine how greed affects Doc Luther's life. Use and expand on at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What are some unanswered questions in the story? Are they vital to the story or are they insignificant? Is there anything that goes unanswered that affects your opinion of the story?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)