|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pat react to Madeline's betrayal?
2. How does Pat answer Eggleston's questions?
3. Why does Senator Burkman begin to cry?
4. Why is Bill Hardesty upset with Doc?
5. What are the businessmen doing when Pat arrives at the meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Doc's plan ruined because of Edgar's announcement?
2. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
3. Why does Pat decide to smuggle the body out of the building?
4. What does the loss of Pat's job mean for Doc?
5. What is Madeline's and Bill's scheme?
6. As of Chapter 26, are Pat and Lila in similar situations? Use evidence from the story to support your argument.
7. Why does Pat decline Rita Kennedy's offer of future job security?
8. When Pat goes to Eggleston's office, why does he wait until Eggleston has left his office before entering?
9. What does Bill Hardesty inadvertently acknowledge in Chapter 22?
10. What does Pat believe Doc's plan is when Pat approaches Eggleston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the setting and tone of the story contribute to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the power and influence Doc has over Lila. Explore how the relationship mutated from a doctor-patient relationship to what it is in the novel and how it devolves at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Pat. What personality traits does he possess? How do these hinder him in the story? How do they help him?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)