|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Madeline's assignment in Doc's scheme?
2. What happens to Pat in Chapter 30?
3. Why does Senator Burkman begin to cry?
4. In Billy Hardesty's plan, who will split the insurance money?
5. What does Madeline suggest that taunts Pat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would Senator Burkman's loss in the election mean?
2. Why does Pat decline Rita Kennedy's offer of future job security?
3. What does Pat believe Doc's plan is when Pat approaches Eggleston?
4. Why does Pat stop attacking Bill Hardesty?
5. Why should Henry be troubled?
6. Why does Lila insist on a ride from Pat in Chapter 27?
7. Why is Pat stunned in Chapter 23?
8. What does Pat realize about Doc in Chapter 17?
9. In Chapter 19, why is Eggleston acting so despicable towards Pat?
10. Does Pat have a happy ending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is seduction used as a tool in "Recoil"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the National Phalanx and how its "Red Scare" tactics are reflective of the period in which the novel was written.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters who are morally upstanding and those characters who are morally corrupt.
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)