|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Pat in Chapter 30?
2. What is the agreed opinion of Pat's situation?
3. What happens to Madeline in Chapter 30?
4. In Billy Hardesty's plan, who will split the insurance money?
5. What is Lila supposed to make the shared ride look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Pat goes to Eggleston's office, why does he wait until Eggleston has left his office before entering?
2. Does Doc have a happy ending?
3. Whom will Doc's scheme benefit?
4. As of Chapter 26, are Pat and Lila in similar situations? Use evidence from the story to support your argument.
5. What would Senator Burkman's loss in the election mean?
6. What does Pat believe Doc's plan is when Pat approaches Eggleston?
7. Why is Pat stunned in Chapter 23?
8. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
9. Why does Pat decline Rita Kennedy's offer of future job security?
10. Why does Pat decide to smuggle the body out of the building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of greed is seen throughout the novel, especially in the corrupt world of Doc Luther. Examine how greed affects Doc Luther's life. Use and expand on at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the National Phalanx and how its "Red Scare" tactics are reflective of the period in which the novel was written.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss politics in "Recoil." Is it portrayed in a positive or negative light? How does it affect our protagonist?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)