|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Doc want Pat paroled?
2. What does Henry bring Pat in Chapter 24?
3. According to Madeline, how was she able to win Pat over?
4. Where is Eggleston's body?
5. How does Pat feel when he finds someone in his car at the end of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat believe Doc's plan is when Pat approaches Eggleston?
2. What is Madeline's and Bill's scheme?
3. Why does Pat decline Rita Kennedy's offer of future job security?
4. As of Chapter 26, are Pat and Lila in similar situations? Use evidence from the story to support your argument.
5. Is Doc's plan ruined because of Edgar's announcement?
6. Does Pat trust Madeline?
7. Why is Pat stunned in Chapter 23?
8. Why should Henry be troubled?
9. What does Pat discover when he goes to Doc's apartment after the meeting?
10. According to Eggleston, why was Pat paroled and not pardoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is seduction used as a tool in "Recoil"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of intrigue and suspense to pique the reader's interest. Is he successful? How does this story compare to other novels you have read of the same genre?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss politics in "Recoil." Is it portrayed in a positive or negative light? How does it affect our protagonist?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)