|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Madeline and Bill Hardesty plan on ruining Doc's scheme?
2. How does Lila deal with the grief of losing her husband?
3. What are the businessmen doing when Pat arrives at the meeting?
4. How does Pat feel when he finds someone in his car at the end of Chapter 18?
5. What does Pat do when he returns home in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill Hardesty inadvertently acknowledge in Chapter 22?
2. Why does Pat decide to smuggle the body out of the building?
3. Why is Pat stunned in Chapter 23?
4. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
5. Whom will Doc's scheme benefit?
6. Why does Pat decline Rita Kennedy's offer of future job security?
7. According to Eggleston, why was Pat paroled and not pardoned?
8. Why should Henry be troubled?
9. Why does Pat wonder if Lila killed Eggleston?
10. Is Doc's plan ruined because of Edgar's announcement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss politics in "Recoil." Is it portrayed in a positive or negative light? How does it affect our protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Pat visits the roadhouse diner on two occasions. What is the significance of the roadhouse diner? Use the physical description and the times Pat goes to the diner to guide your answer.
Essay Topic 3
While Pat visits Madeline in Chapter 12, a parole officer enters the apartment. Describe this episode and explain the significance of:
a) The parole officer willing to accept a bribe.
b) Pat exposing his scars.
c) Pat beating the parole officer into submission.
d) Pat trusting Madeline.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)