|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom will the life insurance policies benefit?
2. Why is Henry troubled in Chapter 24?
3. What are the businessmen doing when Pat arrives at the meeting?
4. Relative to the appointed time, when does Pat arrive at Eggleston's office?
5. Where does Pat run into the policeman at Eggleston's office building?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pat wonder if Lila killed Eggleston?
2. What does Pat discover when he goes to Doc's apartment after the meeting?
3. Does Pat have a happy ending?
4. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
5. When Pat goes to Eggleston's office, why does he wait until Eggleston has left his office before entering?
6. Why is Pat relieved after reading the newspaper article about Eggleston's death?
7. Does Doc have a happy ending?
8. Why does Pat tell Eggleston the truth when Eggleston questions him?
9. Why is Pat dismayed upon entering Eggleston's office?
10. What is Bill Hardesty's scheme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is seduction used as a tool in "Recoil"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the National Phalanx and how its "Red Scare" tactics are reflective of the period in which the novel was written.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of greed is seen throughout the novel, especially in the corrupt world of Doc Luther. Examine how greed affects Doc Luther's life. Use and expand on at least three examples from the text.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)