|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Doc introduce his 'real' wife?
2. What will Pat's room be used for in Chapter 24?
3. What happened to Lila's real husband?
4. What are the businessmen doing when Pat arrives at the meeting?
5. In Billy Hardesty's plan, who will split the insurance money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the loss of Pat's job mean for Doc?
2. Why is Pat relieved after reading the newspaper article about Eggleston's death?
3. Why does Pat decide to smuggle the body out of the building?
4. Why isn't Madeline arrested in Chapter 29?
5. Whom will Doc's scheme benefit?
6. Why does Pat wonder if Lila killed Eggleston?
7. Does Pat trust Madeline?
8. Why does Lila insist on a ride from Pat in Chapter 27?
9. Does Pat have a happy ending?
10. What is Bill Hardesty's scheme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Doc use manipulation to get what he wants in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of greed is seen throughout the novel, especially in the corrupt world of Doc Luther. Examine how greed affects Doc Luther's life. Use and expand on at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Doc and Pat. How are their personalities different? How are their life stories different? Are there any similarities between the two men?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)