|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Relative to the appointed time, when does Pat arrive at Eggleston's office?
2. Who arranged Doc's life insurance policies?
3. Who is the real Mrs. Luther?
4. Who is arrested at the end of Chapter 29?
5. How does Lila deal with the grief of losing her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pat stop attacking Bill Hardesty?
2. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
3. What does Bill Hardesty inadvertently acknowledge in Chapter 22?
4. Why is Pat stunned in Chapter 23?
5. Does Doc have a happy ending?
6. What does the loss of Pat's job mean for Doc?
7. Why does Pat decline Rita Kennedy's offer of future job security?
8. What is Bill Hardesty's scheme?
9. Why is Pat's announcement to the men at the meeting not as effective as he was expecting?
10. What does Pat realize about Doc in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some unanswered questions in the story? Are they vital to the story or are they insignificant? Is there anything that goes unanswered that affects your opinion of the story?
Essay Topic 2
While Pat visits Madeline in Chapter 12, a parole officer enters the apartment. Describe this episode and explain the significance of:
a) The parole officer willing to accept a bribe.
b) Pat exposing his scars.
c) Pat beating the parole officer into submission.
d) Pat trusting Madeline.
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of justice utilized in the story? What are some examples in the novel of when justice prevailed? What are some examples of when justice was not served?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)