|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pat answer Eggleston's questions?
2. What does Pat conclude after listening to Lila's story?
3. As of Chapter 17, how many days has Pat been out of jail?
4. What shocking revelation does Pat come by in Chapter 25?
5. Whom will Doc frame for his supposed murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pat relieved after reading the newspaper article about Eggleston's death?
2. Does Pat trust Madeline?
3. Why is Pat stunned in Chapter 23?
4. Does Doc have a happy ending?
5. As of Chapter 26, are Pat and Lila in similar situations? Use evidence from the story to support your argument.
6. When Pat goes to Eggleston's office, why does he wait until Eggleston has left his office before entering?
7. What is Madeline's and Bill's scheme?
8. Why does Pat decide to smuggle the body out of the building?
9. What does Pat believe Doc's plan is when Pat approaches Eggleston?
10. Why is Pat dismayed upon entering Eggleston's office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the period in which the story is set affect the book? How would these characters have acted if it were present day? Would they be able to pull off such a scheme?
Essay Topic 2
What are some unanswered questions in the story? Are they vital to the story or are they insignificant? Is there anything that goes unanswered that affects your opinion of the story?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of justice utilized in the story? What are some examples in the novel of when justice prevailed? What are some examples of when justice was not served?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)