|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Eggleston die?
2. Who does Pat believe is using him for their own purposes?
3. What does Bill Hardesty say about Lila at the meeting?
4. When do Pat and Eggleston plan to meet?
5. According to Pat, why does Doc act jealous?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pat decline Rita Kennedy's offer of future job security?
2. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
3. Is Doc's plan ruined because of Edgar's announcement?
4. Why does Lila insist on a ride from Pat in Chapter 27?
5. Why isn't Madeline arrested in Chapter 29?
6. Does Doc have a happy ending?
7. Why is Pat dismayed upon entering Eggleston's office?
8. What would Senator Burkman's loss in the election mean?
9. What does the loss of Pat's job mean for Doc?
10. According to Eggleston, why was Pat paroled and not pardoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the setting and tone of the story contribute to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of violent episodes in the novel, often including the protagonist. Discuss the concept of violence in "Recoil".
Essay Topic 3
What are some unanswered questions in the story? Are they vital to the story or are they insignificant? Is there anything that goes unanswered that affects your opinion of the story?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)