|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill Hardesty say about Lila at the meeting?
2. What does Pat see on Eggleston's desk?
3. Where is Pat headed when he spots Lila on the side of the road?
4. What did Lila do for Doc in the past?
5. Why does Pat threaten Bill Hardesty with physical violence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pat's announcement to the men at the meeting not as effective as he was expecting?
2. Why should Henry be troubled?
3. Does Pat trust Madeline?
4. Why does Lila insist on a ride from Pat in Chapter 27?
5. What does Pat believe Doc's plan is when Pat approaches Eggleston?
6. Whom will Doc's scheme benefit?
7. Why is Pat stunned in Chapter 23?
8. When Pat goes to Eggleston's office, why does he wait until Eggleston has left his office before entering?
9. Why is Pat dismayed upon entering Eggleston's office?
10. Why isn't Madeline arrested in Chapter 29?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationships Pat has with Lila and with Madeline. Use examples from the story to reinforce your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Doc and Pat. How are their personalities different? How are their life stories different? Are there any similarities between the two men?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the National Phalanx and how its "Red Scare" tactics are reflective of the period in which the novel was written.
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)