|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Pat's room be used for in Chapter 24?
2. How do Madeline and Bill Hardesty plan on ruining Doc's scheme?
3. How does Doc introduce his 'real' wife?
4. According to Doc, who will the authorities soon be looking for?
5. How does Pat answer Eggleston's questions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Madeline arrested in Chapter 29?
2. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
3. Why is Pat dismayed upon entering Eggleston's office?
4. What does Pat realize about Doc in Chapter 17?
5. Why does Lila insist on a ride from Pat in Chapter 27?
6. In Chapter 19, why is Eggleston acting so despicable towards Pat?
7. Does Pat have a happy ending?
8. What is Madeline's and Bill's scheme?
9. What does Pat discover when he goes to Doc's apartment after the meeting?
10. Why is Pat relieved after reading the newspaper article about Eggleston's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Pat. What personality traits does he possess? How do these hinder him in the story? How do they help him?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters who are morally upstanding and those characters who are morally corrupt.
Essay Topic 3
Pat visits the roadhouse diner on two occasions. What is the significance of the roadhouse diner? Use the physical description and the times Pat goes to the diner to guide your answer.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)