|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat notice about the downtown of Capitol City?
2. Which of the following is not included with Pat's new job?
3. What does Pat reveal on his body to Madeline and the parole officer?
4. Who supposedly bought the car in Pat's name?
5. What happened to Lila's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Pat overhears Doc arguing with another man by his car. What does Pat conclude about the argument between Doc and the other man?
2. What does Pat reveal to Madeline and the parole officer in Chapter 12? Why does he do this?
3. Why was Pat tried as an adult instead of a juvenile when he was seventeen?
4. After Doc picks Pat up from prison, they stop at a roadhouse diner. What bombshell does Doc drop on Pat at the diner?
5. Why did Doc steal money from the college?
6. What documents is Doc looking at in Chapter 1?
7. Why does Lila apparently buy the car for Pat?
8. What do the documents that Doc is looking at say about Pat?
9. Why is Doc jealous of Bill Hardesty?
10. What makes Pat realize that he is in serious trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the power and influence Doc has over Lila. Explore how the relationship mutated from a doctor-patient relationship to what it is in the novel and how it devolves at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of violent episodes in the novel, often including the protagonist. Discuss the concept of violence in "Recoil".
Essay Topic 3
Pat visits the roadhouse diner on two occasions. What is the significance of the roadhouse diner? Use the physical description and the times Pat goes to the diner to guide your answer.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)