|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Pat meet with in Capitol City?
2. How does Madeline recount her life story to Pat?
3. Why is Pat ineligible for parole?
4. Which of the following is not included with Pat's new job?
5. What does the parole officer catch Pat doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat realize about Doc in Chapter 17?
2. How does Pat get his job at the Highway Commission?
3. Why does Pat decline Rita Kennedy's offer of future job security?
4. Does Pat trust Madeline?
5. Why is Pat dismayed upon entering Eggleston's office?
6. Why does Madeline caution Pat to be careful around Doc?
7. What is Madeline's and Bill's scheme?
8. In Chapter 19, why is Eggleston acting so despicable towards Pat?
9. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
10. Does Doc have a happy ending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the central female characters portrayed in the novel? What role do Madeline, Lila Luther, and Myrtle Briscoe play in the development of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of intrigue and suspense to pique the reader's interest. Is he successful? How does this story compare to other novels you have read of the same genre?
Essay Topic 3
Pat visits the roadhouse diner on two occasions. What is the significance of the roadhouse diner? Use the physical description and the times Pat goes to the diner to guide your answer.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)