|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Myrtle believe Pat was paroled?
2. What does Madeline take from Doc's car?
3. How many years has Pat been incarcerated?
4. When does Doc take Pat downtown?
5. What do Pat and Madeline promise to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Pat find out more about Doc from Lila? Why or why not?
2. Why does Pat visit Bill Hardesty?
3. What is Pat's physical description of Doc?
4. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
5. What does Lila do to make Pat uncomfortable?
6. Describe Pat's new home.
7. Why doesn't Madeline share her life story with Pat?
8. How does Pat get his job at the Highway Commission?
9. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
10. What is the purpose of the plan Doc is hatching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is seduction used as a tool in "Recoil"?
Essay Topic 2
Pat visits the roadhouse diner on two occasions. What is the significance of the roadhouse diner? Use the physical description and the times Pat goes to the diner to guide your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does Doc use manipulation to get what he wants in the story?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)