|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Doc picks Pat up from prison, where do they drive towards?
2. How has Myrtle kept her position for so long?
3. What do Pat and Madeline promise to do?
4. What did Pat intend to do at the bank before he robbed it?
5. How many years has Pat been incarcerated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pat's new home.
2. How does Pat feel about the woman he sees at the Capitol building?
3. Why does Madeline caution Pat to be careful around Doc?
4. What documents is Doc looking at in Chapter 1?
5. How does Pat get his job at the Highway Commission?
6. After the incident with Madeline in the parking lot, what does Doc tell Pat?
7. What does Pat reveal to Madeline and the parole officer in Chapter 12? Why does he do this?
8. After Doc picks Pat up from prison, they stop at a roadhouse diner. What bombshell does Doc drop on Pat at the diner?
9. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
10. Why was Pat tried as an adult instead of a juvenile when he was seventeen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of justice utilized in the story? What are some examples in the novel of when justice prevailed? What are some examples of when justice was not served?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of violent episodes in the novel, often including the protagonist. Discuss the concept of violence in "Recoil".
Essay Topic 3
How do the setting and tone of the story contribute to the plot?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)