|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who peeks in on Pat and Lila in the bedroom?
2. What does Pat contemplate while at the diner?
3. Where do Doc and Pat drive to in Chapter 5?
4. Why is Pat ineligible for parole?
5. Why does Myrtle believe Pat was paroled?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
2. Why is Pat somewhat disappointed by his job?
3. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
4. Describe Myrtle Briscoe.
5. What does Pat notice about downtown Capitol City?
6. Why does Pat visit Bill Hardesty?
7. What documents is Doc looking at in Chapter 1?
8. What makes Pat realize that he is in serious trouble?
9. Describe Pat's new home.
10. Why is Myrtle Briscoe upset over Pat's parole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss politics in "Recoil." Is it portrayed in a positive or negative light? How does it affect our protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of justice utilized in the story? What are some examples in the novel of when justice prevailed? What are some examples of when justice was not served?
Essay Topic 3
What are some unanswered questions in the story? Are they vital to the story or are they insignificant? Is there anything that goes unanswered that affects your opinion of the story?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)