|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who follows Pat out of town with Myrtle?
2. At the diner, what does Doc promise to do for Pat?
3. What does Myrtle question Pat about?
4. Where does Pat visit Madeline in Chapter 11?
5. What does Pat claim as he leaves Lila's bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Pat an intelligent character? Support your answer with evidence from the first five chapters.
2. Why is Doc jealous of Bill Hardesty?
3. Describe Myrtle Briscoe.
4. Why does Lila apparently buy the car for Pat?
5. Does Pat find out more about Doc from Lila? Why or why not?
6. Why does Madeline caution Pat to be careful around Doc?
7. What is Pat's physical description of Doc?
8. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
9. What do the documents that Doc is looking at say about Pat?
10. What does Pat notice about downtown Capitol City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of violent episodes in the novel, often including the protagonist. Discuss the concept of violence in "Recoil".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of intrigue and suspense to pique the reader's interest. Is he successful? How does this story compare to other novels you have read of the same genre?
Essay Topic 3
How do the setting and tone of the story contribute to the plot?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)