|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madeline take from Doc's car?
2. What does Pat spend a few days wondering about?
3. Who follows Pat out of town with Myrtle?
4. Where does Pat visit Madeline in Chapter 11?
5. What does Pat give to Doc in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pat's physical description of Doc?
2. Why doesn't Madeline share her life story with Pat?
3. How does Pat get his job at the Highway Commission?
4. What do the documents that Doc is looking at say about Pat?
5. What is the purpose of the plan Doc is hatching?
6. Pat overhears Doc arguing with another man by his car. What does Pat conclude about the argument between Doc and the other man?
7. How does Pat feel about the woman he sees at the Capitol building?
8. Why is Myrtle Briscoe upset over Pat's parole?
9. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
10. Why does Madeline caution Pat to be careful around Doc?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Doc and Pat. How are their personalities different? How are their life stories different? Are there any similarities between the two men?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of violent episodes in the novel, often including the protagonist. Discuss the concept of violence in "Recoil".
Essay Topic 3
The theme of greed is seen throughout the novel, especially in the corrupt world of Doc Luther. Examine how greed affects Doc Luther's life. Use and expand on at least three examples from the text.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)