|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madeline take from Doc's car?
2. Who follows Pat out of town with Myrtle?
3. Who offers Pat a job?
4. Where is the job Senator Burkman promises for Pat?
5. What does Lila's pregnancy prevent her from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Doc jealous of Bill Hardesty?
2. Why was Pat tried as an adult instead of a juvenile when he was seventeen?
3. How is Doc about to continue working in Capitol City after his shady past is revealed?
4. What is Bill Hardesty's scheme?
5. After the incident with Madeline in the parking lot, what does Doc tell Pat?
6. What do the documents that Doc is looking at say about Pat?
7. What is Pat's physical description of Doc?
8. Why did Doc steal money from the college?
9. Why does Pat stop attacking Bill Hardesty?
10. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the power and influence Doc has over Lila. Explore how the relationship mutated from a doctor-patient relationship to what it is in the novel and how it devolves at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What are some unanswered questions in the story? Are they vital to the story or are they insignificant? Is there anything that goes unanswered that affects your opinion of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Doc and Pat. How are their personalities different? How are their life stories different? Are there any similarities between the two men?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)