|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Pat grow up?
2. Whose advice does Lila appear to respond to?
3. What does Pat remove as he talks to the parole officer?
4. What color is Myrtle's hair?
5. How does Lila make Pat feel uncomfortable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Pat overhears Doc arguing with another man by his car. What does Pat conclude about the argument between Doc and the other man?
2. What does Lila do to make Pat uncomfortable?
3. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
4. Why was Pat tried as an adult instead of a juvenile when he was seventeen?
5. What is Pat's physical description of Doc?
6. Why is Pat somewhat disappointed by his job?
7. How does Pat get his job at the Highway Commission?
8. What do the documents that Doc is looking at say about Pat?
9. Does Pat find out more about Doc from Lila? Why or why not?
10. What does Pat notice about downtown Capitol City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationships Pat has with Lila and with Madeline. Use examples from the story to reinforce your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss politics in "Recoil." Is it portrayed in a positive or negative light? How does it affect our protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
How does the period in which the story is set affect the book? How would these characters have acted if it were present day? Would they be able to pull off such a scheme?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)