|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Myrtle tell Pat he is becoming involved in?
2. Which description best suits Doc?
3. Where did Pat think he was going to work?
4. How has Myrtle kept her position for so long?
5. What does Pat spend a few days wondering about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pat visit Bill Hardesty?
2. How does Pat feel about the woman he sees at the Capitol building?
3. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
4. Describe Myrtle Briscoe.
5. After Doc picks Pat up from prison, they stop at a roadhouse diner. What bombshell does Doc drop on Pat at the diner?
6. What do the documents that Doc is looking at say about Pat?
7. What does Pat think about while visiting the diner the second time?
8. Why is Pat somewhat disappointed by his job?
9. What does Pat notice about downtown Capitol City?
10. Does Pat find out more about Doc from Lila? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of greed is seen throughout the novel, especially in the corrupt world of Doc Luther. Examine how greed affects Doc Luther's life. Use and expand on at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the National Phalanx and how its "Red Scare" tactics are reflective of the period in which the novel was written.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters who are morally upstanding and those characters who are morally corrupt.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)