|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat contemplate while at the diner?
2. What is Pat's initial reaction toward Madeline?
3. What does Pat notice about Lila?
4. What does Doc buy for Pat in Capitol City?
5. What does Pat do when he sees Madeline for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Pat tried as an adult instead of a juvenile when he was seventeen?
2. What do the documents that Doc is looking at say about Pat?
3. What does Pat think about while visiting the diner the second time?
4. What documents is Doc looking at in Chapter 1?
5. Why does Madeline caution Pat to be careful around Doc?
6. What does Pat reveal to Madeline and the parole officer in Chapter 12? Why does he do this?
7. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
8. How is Doc about to continue working in Capitol City after his shady past is revealed?
9. What does Pat notice about downtown Capitol City?
10. Is Pat an intelligent character? Support your answer with evidence from the first five chapters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the period in which the story is set affect the book? How would these characters have acted if it were present day? Would they be able to pull off such a scheme?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of justice utilized in the story? What are some examples in the novel of when justice prevailed? What are some examples of when justice was not served?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the power and influence Doc has over Lila. Explore how the relationship mutated from a doctor-patient relationship to what it is in the novel and how it devolves at the end of the novel.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)