|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Pat grow up?
2. As of Chapter 13, how long has Pat been out of prison?
3. Whom does Pat meet with in Capitol City?
4. Where is the job Senator Burkman promises for Pat?
5. What does Hardesty hint about the plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pat somewhat disappointed by his job?
2. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
3. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
4. Why does Pat visit Bill Hardesty?
5. Pat overhears Doc arguing with another man by his car. What does Pat conclude about the argument between Doc and the other man?
6. After the incident with Madeline in the parking lot, what does Doc tell Pat?
7. How does Pat get his job at the Highway Commission?
8. Describe Myrtle Briscoe.
9. Describe Pat's new home.
10. What makes Pat realize that he is in serious trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Doc use manipulation to get what he wants in the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are some unanswered questions in the story? Are they vital to the story or are they insignificant? Is there anything that goes unanswered that affects your opinion of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters who are morally upstanding and those characters who are morally corrupt.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)