|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers Pat a job?
2. What does Lila's pregnancy prevent her from doing?
3. What does Hardesty tell Pat about the nature of Doc's plan?
4. Where do Doc and Pat drive to in Chapter 5?
5. How does Madeline recount her life story to Pat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat realize about Doc in Chapter 17?
2. What does Pat discover when he goes to Doc's apartment after the meeting?
3. Why was Pat tried as an adult instead of a juvenile when he was seventeen?
4. Why isn't Madeline arrested in Chapter 29?
5. Why is Pat's announcement to the men at the meeting not as effective as he was expecting?
6. What does Pat believe Doc's plan is when Pat approaches Eggleston?
7. Why is Pat somewhat disappointed by his job?
8. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
9. Is Doc's plan ruined because of Edgar's announcement?
10. How does Pat feel about the woman he sees at the Capitol building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of justice utilized in the story? What are some examples in the novel of when justice prevailed? What are some examples of when justice was not served?
Essay Topic 2
How is seduction used as a tool in "Recoil"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the power and influence Doc has over Lila. Explore how the relationship mutated from a doctor-patient relationship to what it is in the novel and how it devolves at the end of the novel.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)