|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the apartment, whom does Doc introduce to Pat?
2. Who issued Pat's parole?
3. What does Lila's pregnancy prevent her from doing?
4. What has Lila inherited?
5. How does Lila make Doc jealous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat reveal to Madeline and the parole officer in Chapter 12? Why does he do this?
2. Why is Doc jealous of Bill Hardesty?
3. How is Doc about to continue working in Capitol City after his shady past is revealed?
4. After Doc picks Pat up from prison, they stop at a roadhouse diner. What bombshell does Doc drop on Pat at the diner?
5. What does Pat notice about downtown Capitol City?
6. What do the documents that Doc is looking at say about Pat?
7. Why does Pat visit Bill Hardesty?
8. Is Pat an intelligent character? Support your answer with evidence from the first five chapters.
9. After the incident with Madeline in the parking lot, what does Doc tell Pat?
10. Does Pat find out more about Doc from Lila? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Doc and Pat. How are their personalities different? How are their life stories different? Are there any similarities between the two men?
Essay Topic 2
How do the setting and tone of the story contribute to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of justice utilized in the story? What are some examples in the novel of when justice prevailed? What are some examples of when justice was not served?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)