|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Doc introduces Madeline to Pat what does he say she is?
2. What do Pat and Madeline promise to do?
3. After the run-in with Madeline, what does Doc tell Pat on the drive to the house?
4. What does Pat do when he sees Madeline for the first time?
5. Who follows Pat out of town with Myrtle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Madeline share her life story with Pat?
2. Why is Doc jealous of Bill Hardesty?
3. Why was Pat tried as an adult instead of a juvenile when he was seventeen?
4. What does Lila do to make Pat uncomfortable?
5. After the incident with Madeline in the parking lot, what does Doc tell Pat?
6. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
7. Why does Lila apparently buy the car for Pat?
8. Why does Pat visit Bill Hardesty?
9. How does Pat feel about the woman he sees at the Capitol building?
10. Is Pat an intelligent character? Support your answer with evidence from the first five chapters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the power and influence Doc has over Lila. Explore how the relationship mutated from a doctor-patient relationship to what it is in the novel and how it devolves at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Pat. What personality traits does he possess? How do these hinder him in the story? How do they help him?
Essay Topic 3
How do the setting and tone of the story contribute to the plot?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)