|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Madeline and Pat do together while he visits her at her apartment?
2. How has Myrtle kept her position for so long?
3. What does Madeline take from Doc's car?
4. Who occupies the lower apartments of the house?
5. What does Pat notice about Lila?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Myrtle Briscoe.
2. Why does Madeline caution Pat to be careful around Doc?
3. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
4. What is the purpose of the plan Doc is hatching?
5. What is Pat's physical description of Doc?
6. Why doesn't Madeline share her life story with Pat?
7. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
8. What does Pat think about while visiting the diner the second time?
9. Why did Doc steal money from the college?
10. Why does Pat visit Bill Hardesty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of intrigue and suspense to pique the reader's interest. Is he successful? How does this story compare to other novels you have read of the same genre?
Essay Topic 2
Pat visits the roadhouse diner on two occasions. What is the significance of the roadhouse diner? Use the physical description and the times Pat goes to the diner to guide your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Doc and Pat. How are their personalities different? How are their life stories different? Are there any similarities between the two men?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)