|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Pat think he was going to work?
2. At the apartment, whom does Doc introduce to Pat?
3. How does Lila make Pat feel uncomfortable?
4. Whom does Pat meet with in Capitol City?
5. What does Pat reveal on his body to Madeline and the parole officer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pat's new home.
2. Why does Pat visit Bill Hardesty?
3. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
4. Why is Doc jealous of Bill Hardesty?
5. Describe Myrtle Briscoe.
6. What is the purpose of the plan Doc is hatching?
7. Does Pat find out more about Doc from Lila? Why or why not?
8. Why was Pat tried as an adult instead of a juvenile when he was seventeen?
9. Why did Doc steal money from the college?
10. How does Pat get his job at the Highway Commission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the central female characters portrayed in the novel? What role do Madeline, Lila Luther, and Myrtle Briscoe play in the development of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the power and influence Doc has over Lila. Explore how the relationship mutated from a doctor-patient relationship to what it is in the novel and how it devolves at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of greed is seen throughout the novel, especially in the corrupt world of Doc Luther. Examine how greed affects Doc Luther's life. Use and expand on at least three examples from the text.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)