|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lila make Doc jealous?
2. Who issued Pat's parole?
3. What happened to Lila's baby?
4. Where do Pat and Doc stop for lunch?
5. When Pat revisits the diner, where does he sit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lila do to make Pat uncomfortable?
2. Why does Madeline caution Pat to be careful around Doc?
3. Why is Doc jealous of Bill Hardesty?
4. Is Pat an intelligent character? Support your answer with evidence from the first five chapters.
5. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
6. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
7. What is the purpose of the plan Doc is hatching?
8. Pat overhears Doc arguing with another man by his car. What does Pat conclude about the argument between Doc and the other man?
9. What does Pat reveal to Madeline and the parole officer in Chapter 12? Why does he do this?
10. What do the documents that Doc is looking at say about Pat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the National Phalanx and how its "Red Scare" tactics are reflective of the period in which the novel was written.
Essay Topic 2
How does the period in which the story is set affect the book? How would these characters have acted if it were present day? Would they be able to pull off such a scheme?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of justice utilized in the story? What are some examples in the novel of when justice prevailed? What are some examples of when justice was not served?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)