|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Myrtle's hair?
2. What does Pat realize at the end of Chapter 11?
3. Where do Doc and Pat drive to in Chapter 5?
4. What does Madeline take from Doc's car?
5. Where did Pat think he was going to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Doc have a happy ending?
2. Does Pat have a happy ending?
3. What would Senator Burkman's loss in the election mean?
4. Why is Pat stunned in Chapter 23?
5. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
6. Why is Doc jealous of Bill Hardesty?
7. Why is Pat dismayed upon entering Eggleston's office?
8. Is Pat an intelligent character? Support your answer with evidence from the first five chapters.
9. Why is Pat somewhat disappointed by his job?
10. Is Doc's plan ruined because of Edgar's announcement?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of intrigue and suspense to pique the reader's interest. Is he successful? How does this story compare to other novels you have read of the same genre?
Essay Topic 2
Doc's outward appearance of an easy-going man contrasts with his manipulation of Pat's current living situation. How is he able to control Pat's actions without acting controlling towards Pat?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of violent episodes in the novel, often including the protagonist. Discuss the concept of violence in "Recoil".
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)