|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years has Pat been incarcerated?
2. Where does Pat visit Madeline in Chapter 11?
3. What has Lila inherited?
4. At the diner, what does Doc promise to do for Pat?
5. What did Pat Cosgrove go to jail for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
2. Does Pat find out more about Doc from Lila? Why or why not?
3. How does Pat feel about the woman he sees at the Capitol building?
4. What makes Pat realize that he is in serious trouble?
5. How does Pat get his job at the Highway Commission?
6. Pat overhears Doc arguing with another man by his car. What does Pat conclude about the argument between Doc and the other man?
7. What is Pat's physical description of Doc?
8. Why doesn't Madeline share her life story with Pat?
9. Why was Pat tried as an adult instead of a juvenile when he was seventeen?
10. What does Pat think about while visiting the diner the second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some unanswered questions in the story? Are they vital to the story or are they insignificant? Is there anything that goes unanswered that affects your opinion of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Doc and Pat. How are their personalities different? How are their life stories different? Are there any similarities between the two men?
Essay Topic 3
Pat visits the roadhouse diner on two occasions. What is the significance of the roadhouse diner? Use the physical description and the times Pat goes to the diner to guide your answer.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)