|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hardesty tell Pat about the nature of Doc's plan?
2. What does Myrtle question Pat about?
3. What do Madeline and Pat do together while he visits her at her apartment?
4. Who is Willie?
5. Where does Pat hear an argument taking place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Madeline caution Pat to be careful around Doc?
2. What documents is Doc looking at in Chapter 1?
3. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
4. What does Lila do to make Pat uncomfortable?
5. Why is Pat somewhat disappointed by his job?
6. After Doc picks Pat up from prison, they stop at a roadhouse diner. What bombshell does Doc drop on Pat at the diner?
7. Why is Doc jealous of Bill Hardesty?
8. Why doesn't Madeline share her life story with Pat?
9. Why is Myrtle Briscoe upset over Pat's parole?
10. Why does Lila apparently buy the car for Pat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Pat. What personality traits does he possess? How do these hinder him in the story? How do they help him?
Essay Topic 2
While Pat visits Madeline in Chapter 12, a parole officer enters the apartment. Describe this episode and explain the significance of:
a) The parole officer willing to accept a bribe.
b) Pat exposing his scars.
c) Pat beating the parole officer into submission.
d) Pat trusting Madeline.
Essay Topic 3
How do the setting and tone of the story contribute to the plot?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)