|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the parole officer catch Pat doing?
2. Where do Pat and Doc stop for lunch?
3. What does Doc hope to do by his plan?
4. How has Myrtle kept her position for so long?
5. Why is Pat ineligible for parole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Madeline share her life story with Pat?
2. How does Pat get his job at the Highway Commission?
3. How is Doc about to continue working in Capitol City after his shady past is revealed?
4. Why is Pat somewhat disappointed by his job?
5. What is the purpose of the plan Doc is hatching?
6. What does Pat reveal to Madeline and the parole officer in Chapter 12? Why does he do this?
7. Pat overhears Doc arguing with another man by his car. What does Pat conclude about the argument between Doc and the other man?
8. Why does Pat visit Bill Hardesty?
9. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
10. Why is Myrtle Briscoe upset over Pat's parole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of intrigue and suspense to pique the reader's interest. Is he successful? How does this story compare to other novels you have read of the same genre?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationships Pat has with Lila and with Madeline. Use examples from the story to reinforce your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss politics in "Recoil." Is it portrayed in a positive or negative light? How does it affect our protagonist?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)