|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Doc introduces Madeline to Pat what does he say she is?
2. What does Myrtle question Pat about?
3. What does Pat wonder about Doc?
4. What does Doc hope to do by his plan?
5. After the run-in with Madeline, what does Doc tell Pat on the drive to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Pat realize that he is in serious trouble?
2. What do the documents that Doc is looking at say about Pat?
3. Why is Doc jealous of Bill Hardesty?
4. What does Pat think about while visiting the diner the second time?
5. What documents is Doc looking at in Chapter 1?
6. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
7. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
8. Why doesn't Madeline share her life story with Pat?
9. How is Doc about to continue working in Capitol City after his shady past is revealed?
10. After Doc picks Pat up from prison, they stop at a roadhouse diner. What bombshell does Doc drop on Pat at the diner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pat visits the roadhouse diner on two occasions. What is the significance of the roadhouse diner? Use the physical description and the times Pat goes to the diner to guide your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationships Pat has with Lila and with Madeline. Use examples from the story to reinforce your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Doc's outward appearance of an easy-going man contrasts with his manipulation of Pat's current living situation. How is he able to control Pat's actions without acting controlling towards Pat?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)