|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who goes to jail in Chapter 30?
(a) Doc, Bill Hardesty, and Senator Burkman.
(b) Pat and Doc.
(c) Pat and Madeline.
(d) Bill Hardesty, Doc, and Madeline.
2. What is the first newspaper article about that Pat reads in Chapter 24?
(a) Capitol City's deterioration.
(b) Myrtle's resignation.
(c) Doc's past.
(d) Eggleston's murder.
3. Why does Pat threaten Bill Hardesty with physical violence?
(a) For seeing Madeline.
(b) To stop him from lying again.
(c) To stop him from telling anyone about Eggleston's body.
(d) For not revealing the entire plot.
4. Why is Bill Hardesty upset with Doc?
(a) Doc stole Bill's money.
(b) Doc slept with Madeline.
(c) Doc made a decision without Bill.
(d) Doc blamed Bill for exposing Arnholt.
5. What does Bill Hardesty reveal to Pat in Chapter 22?
(a) Bill Hardesty loves Madeline.
(b) Eggleston was the mastermind of it all.
(c) Doc and Bill Hardesty are working together.
(d) Bill Hardesty wants Pat to kill Doc.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Doc want Pat paroled?
2. Who achieves wealth and fame at the end of the book?
3. Why does Senator Burkman begin to cry?
4. What is Eggleston holding?
5. Whom does Pat decide he can fully trust?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pat dismayed upon entering Eggleston's office?
2. Why does Pat decide to smuggle the body out of the building?
3. Whom will Doc's scheme benefit?
4. Why is Pat relieved after reading the newspaper article about Eggleston's death?
5. What would Senator Burkman's loss in the election mean?
6. Why should Henry be troubled?
7. Does Pat have a happy ending?
8. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
9. Why is Pat's announcement to the men at the meeting not as effective as he was expecting?
10. Does Doc have a happy ending?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)