|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocking revelation does Pat come by in Chapter 25?
(a) Lila is Doc's niece.
(b) Doc and Lila are not married.
(c) Bill Hardesty and Madeline are married.
(d) Doc and Rita are married.
2. Why is Bill Hardesty upset with Doc?
(a) Doc stole Bill's money.
(b) Doc slept with Madeline.
(c) Doc made a decision without Bill.
(d) Doc blamed Bill for exposing Arnholt.
3. What does Pat conclude after listening to Lila's story?
(a) Lila is not a good liar.
(b) She is in a dangerous situation.
(c) She is just as scheming as Doc.
(d) Lila's life story is quite boring.
4. What is the weather like when Pat goes to his office in Chapter 18?
5. What does Pat wait for, outside Eggleston's office?
(a) For Doc's car to pull up.
(b) For Eggleston to leave.
(c) For Madeline to arrive.
(d) For the security guard to go on break.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat fear Doc has done in Chapter 16?
2. Why does Pat feel guilty in Chapter 17?
3. Why does Senator Burkman begin to cry?
4. According to Doc, who will the authorities soon be looking for?
5. What does Pat do when he returns home in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pat tell Eggleston the truth when Eggleston questions him?
2. In Chapter 19, why is Eggleston acting so despicable towards Pat?
3. As of Chapter 26, are Pat and Lila in similar situations? Use evidence from the story to support your argument.
4. What does Pat realize about Doc in Chapter 17?
5. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
6. Why is Pat relieved after reading the newspaper article about Eggleston's death?
7. Why is Pat's announcement to the men at the meeting not as effective as he was expecting?
8. Why should Henry be troubled?
9. Does Doc have a happy ending?
10. Why isn't Madeline arrested in Chapter 29?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)