|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Pat headed when he spots Lila on the side of the road?
(a) His apartment.
(b) Madeline's apartment.
(c) Eggleston's office.
(d) Capitol City.
2. What happens to Madeline in Chapter 30?
(a) Madeline reconciles with Doc.
(b) Madeline divorces Doc and marries Pat.
(c) Madeline is sent to jail.
(d) Madeline is never seen again.
3. What was Madeline's assignment in Doc's scheme?
(a) To flirt with Pat.
(b) To sabotage Pat.
(c) To shadow Pat.
(d) To kill Pat.
4. Why did Doc kill Eggleston?
(a) Eggleston knew too much about his scheme.
(b) Eggleston slept with Madeline.
(c) Eggleston attempted blackmail.
(d) Eggleston was threatening to report Doc to the authorities.
5. What does Pat fear Doc has done in Chapter 16?
(a) Stolen his identity.
(b) Played a trick on Madeline.
(c) Ordered Willie to kill him.
(d) Taken out insurance on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lila do for Doc in the past?
2. Who asks Pat for a ride home in Chapter 18?
3. What is the occupation of the person Pat visited in Chapter 16?
4. Who achieves wealth and fame at the end of the book?
5. What is the weather like when Pat goes to his office in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill Hardesty inadvertently acknowledge in Chapter 22?
2. What does the loss of Pat's job mean for Doc?
3. Why does Pat wonder if Lila killed Eggleston?
4. Why does Pat stop attacking Bill Hardesty?
5. Is Doc's plan ruined because of Edgar's announcement?
6. What does Pat believe Doc's plan is when Pat approaches Eggleston?
7. In Chapter 19, why is Eggleston acting so despicable towards Pat?
8. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
9. When Pat goes to Eggleston's office, why does he wait until Eggleston has left his office before entering?
10. Why is Pat dismayed upon entering Eggleston's office?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)