|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pat see on Eggleston's desk?
(a) A burning cigar.
(b) A smoking gun.
(c) An opened appointment book.
(d) A shredded file.
2. What are the businessmen doing when Pat arrives at the meeting?
(a) Smoking cigars.
(b) Listening to a radio broadcast.
(c) Playing poker.
3. What does Pat fear Doc has done in Chapter 16?
(a) Taken out insurance on him.
(b) Played a trick on Madeline.
(c) Ordered Willie to kill him.
(d) Stolen his identity.
4. Whom does Pat decide he can fully trust?
(a) Governor Clay.
5. What does Pat intend to do at Eggleston's office?
(a) Go through Eggleston's files.
(b) Steal Eggleston's gun.
(c) Wait for Eggleston patiently.
(d) Surprise Eggleston upon his return.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pat run into the policeman at Eggleston's office building?
2. What does Bill Hardesty say about Lila at the meeting?
3. What does Pat wait for, outside Eggleston's office?
4. According to Pat, why does Doc act jealous?
5. Who is the real Mrs. Luther?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 19, why is Eggleston acting so despicable towards Pat?
2. Why is Pat relieved after reading the newspaper article about Eggleston's death?
3. What does Pat believe Doc's plan is when Pat approaches Eggleston?
4. What is Madeline's and Bill's scheme?
5. Is Doc's plan ruined because of Edgar's announcement?
6. Does Doc have a happy ending?
7. Whom will Doc's scheme benefit?
8. As of Chapter 26, are Pat and Lila in similar situations? Use evidence from the story to support your argument.
9. What is Doc's plan for Pat?
10. Why does Pat wonder if Lila killed Eggleston?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)