|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lila, what is wrong with her car?
(a) The car is out of gas.
(b) The battery is dead.
(c) The car has a flat tire.
(d) The car is overheated.
2. What does Rita Kennedy tell Pat over the phone?
(a) His pay has been reduced.
(b) He has gotten a promotion.
(c) He has been fired.
(d) He has gotten a raise.
3. What rumor is supposedly being spread about Pat?
(a) Pat is working with the C.I.A.
(b) Pat is scheming with Doc.
(c) Pat is sleeping with Lila.
(d) Pat is older than he says.
4. How long does Eggleston think about Pat's answers?
(a) A few seconds.
(b) An eternity.
(c) Several minutes.
(d) Almost an hour.
5. When do Pat and Eggleston plan to meet?
(a) Over the weekend.
(b) Tuesday at lunch.
(c) At midnight.
(d) The following night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Eggleston's body?
2. How does Pat react to the policeman at Eggleston's office building?
3. What does Madeline suggest that taunts Pat?
4. In what manner does Pat inform Doc of Hardesty's scheme?
5. What did Lila do for Doc in the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pat stunned in Chapter 23?
2. Why is Pat's announcement to the men at the meeting not as effective as he was expecting?
3. Why does Pat wonder if Lila killed Eggleston?
4. When Pat goes to Eggleston's office, why does he wait until Eggleston has left his office before entering?
5. What does the loss of Pat's job mean for Doc?
6. Does Doc have a happy ending?
7. Why should Henry be troubled?
8. What does Pat discover when he goes to Doc's apartment after the meeting?
9. What does Bill Hardesty inadvertently acknowledge in Chapter 22?
10. Does Pat have a happy ending?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)