|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hardesty hint about the plan?
(a) It will involve Pat going back to prison.
(b) It will land Doc in jail.
(c) It will make Pat rich.
(d) It is not well conceived.
2. What does Lila's pregnancy prevent her from doing?
(a) Finishing school.
(b) Traveling abroad.
(c) Working for Doc.
(d) Joining a country club.
3. What happened to Lila's baby?
(a) The baby was stillborn.
(b) The baby was adopted.
(c) Lila miscarried.
(d) The baby is being raised by Lila's parents.
4. What does Madeline take from Doc's car?
(a) A parking permit.
(b) A file folder.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) An envelope.
5. What does Pat give to Doc in Chapter 4?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A wad of cash.
(c) A sandwich.
(d) A newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat notice about Lila?
2. What is Pat's initial reaction toward Madeline?
3. What does Pat remove as he talks to the parole officer?
4. For what reason does Doc argue with the man in Chapter 4?
5. How does Lila make Doc jealous?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Doc about to continue working in Capitol City after his shady past is revealed?
2. How does Pat get his job at the Highway Commission?
3. What is Pat's physical description of Doc?
4. What makes Pat realize that he is in serious trouble?
5. Describe Myrtle Briscoe.
6. After the incident with Madeline in the parking lot, what does Doc tell Pat?
7. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
8. Describe Pat's new home.
9. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
10. What do the documents that Doc is looking at say about Pat?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)