|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Doc and Pat drive to in Chapter 5?
(a) The public library.
(b) Senator Burkman's office.
(c) Back home.
(d) The State Capital building.
2. When Pat revisits the diner, where does he sit?
(a) In a dark corner.
(b) At the counter.
(c) On a roadside bench.
(d) In his car.
3. What does Pat notice about Lila?
(a) Her limp.
(b) Her perfectly straight hair.
(c) Her physical perfection.
(d) The mole on her neck.
4. What has Lila inherited?
(a) A car.
(b) A yacht.
(d) An estate.
5. What does Pat do when he sees Madeline for the first time?
(a) Pat follows her.
(b) Pat ignores her.
(c) Pat asks her for directions.
(d) Pat introduces himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lila's pregnancy prevent her from doing?
2. What does the house where Doc and Pat live look like?
3. Who issued Pat's parole?
4. Who follows Pat out of town with Myrtle?
5. After questioning Pat, what does Doc determine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Doc jealous of Bill Hardesty?
2. Why does Lila apparently buy the car for Pat?
3. After Doc picks Pat up from prison, they stop at a roadhouse diner. What bombshell does Doc drop on Pat at the diner?
4. Why is there a tussle between Pat and the woman he was following?
5. Is the parole officer good at his job? Use evidence from the story to support your opinion.
6. Why is Myrtle Briscoe upset over Pat's parole?
7. Is Pat an intelligent character? Support your answer with evidence from the first five chapters.
8. After the incident with Madeline in the parking lot, what does Doc tell Pat?
9. What does Pat think about while visiting the diner the second time?
10. Pat overhears Doc arguing with another man by his car. What does Pat conclude about the argument between Doc and the other man?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)