|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the run-in with Madeline, what does Doc tell Pat on the drive to the house?
(a) The front lawn needs mowing.
(b) His employees are not allowed to fraternize.
(c) He is divorcing his wife.
(d) He is dying.
2. Where do Doc and Pat drive to in Chapter 5?
(a) The State Capital building.
(b) Back home.
(c) Senator Burkman's office.
(d) The public library.
3. What does Pat wonder about Doc?
(a) Why Doc is so mean to Pat.
(b) Doc's age.
(c) Why Doc arranged for Pat's parole.
(d) What Doc sees in Lila.
4. What do Madeline and Pat do together while he visits her at her apartment?
5. When Pat revisits the diner, where does he sit?
(a) In a dark corner.
(b) In his car.
(c) At the counter.
(d) On a roadside bench.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Pat's prison?
2. What does Madeline take from Doc's car?
3. Who occupies the lower apartments of the house?
4. What does Pat tell Madeline in Chapter 11?
5. Where does Pat hear an argument taking place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pat notice about downtown Capitol City?
2. Why does Pat visit Bill Hardesty?
3. How does Pat get his job at the Highway Commission?
4. After the incident with Madeline in the parking lot, what does Doc tell Pat?
5. How is Doc about to continue working in Capitol City after his shady past is revealed?
6. How does Pat feel about the woman he sees at the Capitol building?
7. Is Pat an intelligent character? Support your answer with evidence from the first five chapters.
8. Why is Myrtle Briscoe upset over Pat's parole?
9. Why doesn't Madeline share her life story with Pat?
10. What is the purpose of the plan Doc is hatching?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)