|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Pat meet with in Capitol City?
(a) Rita Kennedy.
(b) Bill Hardesty.
(c) Myrtle Briscoe.
(d) Senator Burkman.
2. How long has Myrtle served as the Commissioner of Corrections?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Thirty years.
3. What does Pat remove as he talks to the parole officer?
(a) His hat.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His shirt.
(d) His pants.
4. Why does Myrtle believe Pat was paroled?
(a) So that Pat could be recruited for organized crime.
(b) To make Governor Clay look good.
(c) In order to discredit her in the election.
(d) To alleviate crowding at the prison.
5. What does Lila's pregnancy prevent her from doing?
(a) Joining a country club.
(b) Finishing school.
(c) Working for Doc.
(d) Traveling abroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat give to Doc in Chapter 4?
2. How does Lila react to Doc ordering her to leave the room?
3. According to Pat's estimation, how old is Doc?
4. What happened to Lila's baby?
5. What does Pat notice about Lila?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Madeline share her life story with Pat?
2. Pat overhears Doc arguing with another man by his car. What does Pat conclude about the argument between Doc and the other man?
3. Why does Madeline caution Pat to be careful around Doc?
4. After Doc picks Pat up from prison, they stop at a roadhouse diner. What bombshell does Doc drop on Pat at the diner?
5. What does Lila do to make Pat uncomfortable?
6. What documents is Doc looking at in Chapter 1?
7. After the incident with Madeline in the parking lot, what does Doc tell Pat?
8. What does Pat notice about downtown Capitol City?
9. What does Pat think about while visiting the diner the second time?
10. Is Pat an intelligent character? Support your answer with evidence from the first five chapters.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)