|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Lila inherited?
(a) A car.
(b) A yacht.
(d) An estate.
2. At the apartment, whom does Doc introduce to Pat?
(a) Madeline Flournoy.
(b) Lila Luther.
(c) Myrtle Briscoe.
(d) Senator Burkman.
3. Who follows Pat out of town with Myrtle?
(b) A policeman.
(c) Governor Clay.
4. What does Pat notice about the downtown of Capitol City?
(a) It has become slum-like.
(b) It is full of new buildings.
(c) It has become more upscale.
(d) It has hardly changed.
5. What does Pat contemplate while at the diner?
(a) Urban sprawl.
(b) Ecological destruction.
(c) Social corruption.
(d) The recession.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hardesty tell Pat about the nature of Doc's plan?
2. What does Doc hope to do by his plan?
3. Who did Pat have a conversation with outside the bank?
4. What does Pat notice about the Capitol building?
5. What does Pat wonder about Doc?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pat visit Bill Hardesty?
2. Is Pat an intelligent character? Support your answer with evidence from the first five chapters.
3. After Doc picks Pat up from prison, they stop at a roadhouse diner. What bombshell does Doc drop on Pat at the diner?
4. What is Pat's physical description of Doc?
5. Why is Doc jealous of Bill Hardesty?
6. Pat overhears Doc arguing with another man by his car. What does Pat conclude about the argument between Doc and the other man?
7. What does Pat notice about downtown Capitol City?
8. What documents is Doc looking at in Chapter 1?
9. Why does Madeline caution Pat to be careful around Doc?
10. How does Pat get his job at the Highway Commission?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)