|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of the person Pat visited in Chapter 16?
(a) Private Investigator.
(c) Police officer.
2. After the incident with Eggleston's body, where does Pat go?
(a) The roadhouse diner.
(b) Madeline's house.
(d) Bill Hardesty's apartment.
3. What did Lila do for Doc in the past?
(a) Lila arranged private meetings between Doc and a mystery woman.
(b) Lila was Doc's maid for many years.
(c) Lila convinced Doc's parents that they were in love.
(d) Engaged in sexual relationships with influential married men.
4. What is the first newspaper article about that Pat reads in Chapter 24?
(a) Doc's past.
(b) Myrtle's resignation.
(c) Eggleston's murder.
(d) Capitol City's deterioration.
5. Why is Bill Hardesty upset with Doc?
(a) Doc blamed Bill for exposing Arnholt.
(b) Doc slept with Madeline.
(c) Doc made a decision without Bill.
(d) Doc stole Bill's money.
6. Where is Eggleston's body?
(a) At his desk.
(b) On the sofa.
(c) Shoved in the closet.
(d) On the floor.
7. Why does Pat whisper on the phone?
(a) To alleviate his sore throat.
(b) To disguise his voice.
(c) To remain undiscovered by the security guard.
(d) To tell a secret.
8. What is Lila supposed to make the shared ride look like?
(a) A kidnapping.
(b) A date.
(c) A secret meeting.
(d) A carpool.
9. How long does Eggleston think about Pat's answers?
(a) A few seconds.
(b) Several minutes.
(c) Almost an hour.
(d) An eternity.
10. According to Pat, why does Doc act jealous?
(a) To manipulate him.
(b) To anger him.
(c) To confuse him.
(d) To intimidate him.
11. What happens to Madeline in Chapter 30?
(a) Madeline divorces Doc and marries Pat.
(b) Madeline is sent to jail.
(c) Madeline is never seen again.
(d) Madeline reconciles with Doc.
12. What will Henry need to do to ready Pat's room in Chapter 24?
(a) Repaint the walls.
(b) Remove the bed.
(c) Rearrange the furniture.
(d) Add drapes to the windows.
13. What will Pat's room be used for in Chapter 24?
(a) A business meeting.
(b) A poker game.
(c) Servant training.
(d) A speech rehearsal.
14. What does Bill Hardesty say about Lila at the meeting?
(a) Lila is obnoxious.
(b) Lila is vain.
(c) Lila is beautiful.
(d) Lila is insignificant.
15. How do the men react to Pat's announcement that Lila is not Doc's wife?
(a) Not interested in the slightest.
(b) Surprised but somewhat indifferent.
(c) Furious and vengeful.
(d) Curious and shocked.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who achieves wealth and fame at the end of the book?
2. What was Madeline's assignment in Doc's scheme?
3. What facial expression does Pat get a glimpse of on Madeline's face?
4. Why doesn't Pat want to ride in the car with Lila?
5. What does Pat see on Eggleston's desk?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)