|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who points a gun at Pat in Chapter 22?
(d) Bill Hardesty.
2. How do the men react to Pat's announcement that Lila is not Doc's wife?
(a) Surprised but somewhat indifferent.
(b) Not interested in the slightest.
(c) Furious and vengeful.
(d) Curious and shocked.
3. What does Madeline suggest that taunts Pat?
(a) Pat is a horrible kisser.
(b) Madeline was bored by Pat's life story.
(c) Bill Hardesty and Madeline are lovers.
(d) Madeline is repulsed by Pat.
4. Whom does Pat decide he can fully trust?
(c) Governor Clay.
5. How does Pat get into Eggleston's office?
(a) Pat breaks a window.
(b) Pat walks through the front door.
(c) Pat sneaks in.
(d) Pat kicks down the door.
6. How do Madeline and Bill Hardesty plan on ruining Doc's scheme?
(a) Having Pat kill Senator Burkman.
(b) Having Pat kill Doc.
(c) By bribing Doc.
(d) Going to the authorities.
7. Why would Doc want Pat paroled?
(a) So that Pat cannot leave the area.
(b) For political reasons.
(c) So that the police can keep tabs on Pat.
(d) Doc likes to help those in need.
8. What does Bill Hardesty toss to Pat in Chapter 29?
(a) A jacket.
(b) A gun.
(c) A lucky penny.
9. Who does not believe Pat when he denies the rumor?
(a) Senator Burkman.
(c) Rita Kennedy.
10. How does Doc feel after hearing of Bill Hardesty's plan?
11. What is the second newspaper article that Pat reads in Chapter 24 about?
(a) International news.
12. What does the caller in Chapter 21 apologize for?
(a) Missing an appointment.
(b) Forgetting to call earlier.
(c) Forgetting Eggleston's birthday.
(d) Calling so late.
13. What does Pat see on Eggleston's desk?
(a) A smoking gun.
(b) A shredded file.
(c) A burning cigar.
(d) An opened appointment book.
14. Why does Pat feel guilty in Chapter 17?
(a) Pat feels guilty for taking public funds without doing any real work.
(b) Pat feels guilty for not going to church.
(c) Pat feels guilty for seeking out a private investigator.
(d) Pat feels guilty for kissing Lila.
15. What will Pat's room be used for in Chapter 24?
(a) A poker game.
(b) Servant training.
(c) A business meeting.
(d) A speech rehearsal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat conclude after listening to Lila's story?
2. What is the occupation of the person Pat visited in Chapter 16?
3. What are the businessmen doing when Pat arrives at the meeting?
4. Who is arrested at the end of Chapter 29?
5. What is just as easy to get as parole?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)