|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rumor is supposedly being spread about Pat?
(a) Pat is scheming with Doc.
(b) Pat is older than he says.
(c) Pat is sleeping with Lila.
(d) Pat is working with the C.I.A.
2. How does Pat describe Bill Hardesty's scheme?
(a) Very simple.
(b) Very stupid.
(c) Very silly.
(d) Very subtle.
3. Why does Senator Burkman begin to cry?
(a) Senator Burkman's career is over.
(b) Senator Burkman's mother just died.
(c) Senator Burkman's favorite baseball team just lost.
(d) Senator Burkman just lost a small fortune in the stock market.
4. Who is contacted by the media at the end of the book?
(c) Myrtle Briscoe.
5. What does Pat see on Eggleston's desk?
(a) A burning cigar.
(b) An opened appointment book.
(c) A shredded file.
(d) A smoking gun.
6. Why would Doc want Pat paroled?
(a) So that the police can keep tabs on Pat.
(b) Doc likes to help those in need.
(c) For political reasons.
(d) So that Pat cannot leave the area.
7. What is the second newspaper article that Pat reads in Chapter 24 about?
(c) International news.
8. Relative to the appointed time, when does Pat arrive at Eggleston's office?
(a) Five minutes late.
(c) On time.
(d) Extremely late.
9. How did Eggleston die?
(a) Eggleston was suffocated.
(b) Eggleston committed suicide.
(c) Eggleston was strangled.
(d) Eggleston was shot in the head.
10. What is Eggleston holding?
(a) A coffee.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A gun.
(d) A letter.
11. What will Pat's room be used for in Chapter 24?
(a) A business meeting.
(b) A poker game.
(c) Servant training.
(d) A speech rehearsal.
12. What does Pat say that he's known for some time in Chapter 28?
(a) Doc planned to send Pat back to prison.
(b) Doc killed Eggleston.
(c) Doc was planning an insurance scheme.
(d) Doc's wife is not Lila, but Madeline.
13. What does Pat intend to do at Eggleston's office?
(a) Surprise Eggleston upon his return.
(b) Go through Eggleston's files.
(c) Steal Eggleston's gun.
(d) Wait for Eggleston patiently.
14. Pat wonders if whom killed Eggleston?
(b) Senator Burkman.
15. What was Madeline's assignment in Doc's scheme?
(a) To shadow Pat.
(b) To flirt with Pat.
(c) To kill Pat.
(d) To sabotage Pat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bill Hardesty upset with Doc?
2. What does Pat wait for, outside Eggleston's office?
3. What is the weather like when Pat goes to his office in Chapter 18?
4. What facial expression does Pat get a glimpse of on Madeline's face?
5. According to Lila, what is wrong with her car?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)