|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry bring Pat in Chapter 24?
(a) A newspaper.
(c) A key.
(d) A letter.
2. How do the men react to Pat's announcement that Lila is not Doc's wife?
(a) Not interested in the slightest.
(b) Surprised but somewhat indifferent.
(c) Curious and shocked.
(d) Furious and vengeful.
3. What does Rita Kennedy tell Pat over the phone?
(a) His pay has been reduced.
(b) He has gotten a raise.
(c) He has been fired.
(d) He has gotten a promotion.
4. How does Lila deal with the grief of losing her husband?
(a) She becomes promiscuous.
(b) She joins the nunnery.
(c) She dyes her hair.
(d) Lila seeks out psychological assistance.
5. How does Pat react to Madeline's betrayal?
(a) Pat forces himself on Madeline.
(b) Pat remains silent.
(c) Pat beats Bill Hardesty.
(d) Pat trashes the apartment.
6. Who is arrested at the end of Chapter 29?
(a) Madeline and Bill.
(b) Doc and Bill.
7. Why does Pat threaten Bill Hardesty with physical violence?
(a) To stop him from telling anyone about Eggleston's body.
(b) To stop him from lying again.
(c) For not revealing the entire plot.
(d) For seeing Madeline.
8. What does Bill Hardesty say about Lila at the meeting?
(a) Lila is obnoxious.
(b) Lila is insignificant.
(c) Lila is beautiful.
(d) Lila is vain.
9. What shocking revelation does Pat come by in Chapter 25?
(a) Doc and Lila are not married.
(b) Bill Hardesty and Madeline are married.
(c) Lila is Doc's niece.
(d) Doc and Rita are married.
10. What does Bill Hardesty toss to Pat in Chapter 29?
(a) A jacket.
(c) A lucky penny.
(d) A gun.
11. As of Chapter 17, how many days has Pat been out of jail?
(a) Three hundred-sixty-five.
(b) One hundred.
12. Whom does Pat decide he can fully trust?
(c) Governor Clay.
13. Why does Pat feel guilty in Chapter 17?
(a) Pat feels guilty for seeking out a private investigator.
(b) Pat feels guilty for kissing Lila.
(c) Pat feels guilty for taking public funds without doing any real work.
(d) Pat feels guilty for not going to church.
14. How does Pat answer Eggleston's questions?
15. What rumor is supposedly being spread about Pat?
(a) Pat is working with the C.I.A.
(b) Pat is sleeping with Lila.
(c) Pat is older than he says.
(d) Pat is scheming with Doc.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Billy Hardesty's plan, who will split the insurance money?
2. What did Lila do for Doc in the past?
3. According to Lila, what is wrong with her car?
4. What happens to Pat in Chapter 30?
5. How does Pat get into Eggleston's office?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)