|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the men react to Pat's announcement that Lila is not Doc's wife?
(a) Furious and vengeful.
(b) Not interested in the slightest.
(c) Surprised but somewhat indifferent.
(d) Curious and shocked.
2. What is just as easy to get as parole?
(a) A pardon.
(b) A release.
(c) A conviction.
(d) An exchange.
3. As of Chapter 17, how many days has Pat been out of jail?
(a) One hundred.
(d) Three hundred-sixty-five.
4. When do Pat and Eggleston plan to meet?
(a) Tuesday at lunch.
(b) Over the weekend.
(c) The following night.
(d) At midnight.
5. According to Lila, what is wrong with her car?
(a) The battery is dead.
(b) The car is overheated.
(c) The car is out of gas.
(d) The car has a flat tire.
6. Who is arrested at the end of Chapter 29?
(a) Doc and Bill.
(b) Madeline and Bill.
7. Who does Pat believe is using him for their own purposes?
(a) Myrtle Briscoe.
(b) Bill Hardesty.
(d) All of the above.
8. How does Doc introduce his 'real' wife?
9. What is the first newspaper article about that Pat reads in Chapter 24?
(a) Myrtle's resignation.
(b) Capitol City's deterioration.
(c) Eggleston's murder.
(d) Doc's past.
10. What happens to Pat in Chapter 30?
(a) Pat receives a full pardon.
(b) Pat goes on the run.
(c) Pat goes back to jail.
(d) Pat is put under house arrest.
11. What does the caller in Chapter 21 apologize for?
(a) Forgetting Eggleston's birthday.
(b) Calling so late.
(c) Missing an appointment.
(d) Forgetting to call earlier.
12. Who is contacted by the media at the end of the book?
(d) Myrtle Briscoe.
13. How does Lila deal with the grief of losing her husband?
(a) She dyes her hair.
(b) She becomes promiscuous.
(c) Lila seeks out psychological assistance.
(d) She joins the nunnery.
14. Whom does Pat decide he can fully trust?
(d) Governor Clay.
15. Who points a gun at Pat in Chapter 22?
(b) Bill Hardesty.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Doc, who will the authorities soon be looking for?
2. What does Pat see on Eggleston's desk?
3. In Billy Hardesty's plan, who will split the insurance money?
4. Who is the real Mrs. Luther?
5. What is Eggleston holding?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)