|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of the person Pat visited in Chapter 16?
(c) Police officer.
(d) Private Investigator.
2. In Chapter 22, what part of Pat's body is the gun pointed towards?
(a) Pat's back.
(b) Pat's heart.
(c) Pat's temple.
(d) Pat's forehead.
3. What does Rita Kennedy tell Pat over the phone?
(a) His pay has been reduced.
(b) He has gotten a promotion.
(c) He has gotten a raise.
(d) He has been fired.
4. What did Lila do for Doc in the past?
(a) Engaged in sexual relationships with influential married men.
(b) Lila was Doc's maid for many years.
(c) Lila arranged private meetings between Doc and a mystery woman.
(d) Lila convinced Doc's parents that they were in love.
5. What does the caller in Chapter 21 apologize for?
(a) Calling so late.
(b) Forgetting Eggleston's birthday.
(c) Missing an appointment.
(d) Forgetting to call earlier.
6. Who goes to jail in Chapter 30?
(a) Bill Hardesty, Doc, and Madeline.
(b) Pat and Doc.
(c) Pat and Madeline.
(d) Doc, Bill Hardesty, and Senator Burkman.
7. What is just as easy to get as parole?
(a) A conviction.
(b) An exchange.
(c) A pardon.
(d) A release.
8. What does Pat say that he's known for some time in Chapter 28?
(a) Doc killed Eggleston.
(b) Doc was planning an insurance scheme.
(c) Doc's wife is not Lila, but Madeline.
(d) Doc planned to send Pat back to prison.
9. How does Lila deal with the grief of losing her husband?
(a) Lila seeks out psychological assistance.
(b) She becomes promiscuous.
(c) She joins the nunnery.
(d) She dyes her hair.
10. Pat wonders if whom killed Eggleston?
(a) Senator Burkman.
11. How do Madeline and Bill Hardesty plan on ruining Doc's scheme?
(a) Having Pat kill Senator Burkman.
(b) Having Pat kill Doc.
(c) By bribing Doc.
(d) Going to the authorities.
12. Why does Pat threaten Bill Hardesty with physical violence?
(a) For seeing Madeline.
(b) To stop him from telling anyone about Eggleston's body.
(c) For not revealing the entire plot.
(d) To stop him from lying again.
13. What does Bill Hardesty toss to Pat in Chapter 29?
(a) A lucky penny.
(c) A gun.
(d) A jacket.
14. As of Chapter 17, how many days has Pat been out of jail?
(a) One hundred.
(c) Three hundred-sixty-five.
15. How does Doc introduce his 'real' wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the real Mrs. Luther?
2. Who achieves wealth and fame at the end of the book?
3. What is the second newspaper article that Pat reads in Chapter 24 about?
4. Who does Pat believe is using him for their own purposes?
5. What was Madeline's assignment in Doc's scheme?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)