|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is contacted by the media at the end of the book?
(b) Myrtle Briscoe.
2. Whom will Doc frame for his supposed murder?
(a) Myrtle Briscoe.
(c) Governor Clay.
(d) Senator Burkman.
3. Why does Pat whisper on the phone?
(a) To tell a secret.
(b) To alleviate his sore throat.
(c) To remain undiscovered by the security guard.
(d) To disguise his voice.
4. How does Pat feel when he finds someone in his car at the end of Chapter 18?
5. Who is responsible for exposing Arnholt?
(c) Senator Burkman.
(d) Bill Hardesty.
6. In Billy Hardesty's plan, who will split the insurance money?
(a) Bill, Madeline, and Pat.
(b) Bill, Madeline, and Doc.
(c) Bill and Madeline.
(d) Bill and Doc.
7. How does Pat get into Eggleston's office?
(a) Pat sneaks in.
(b) Pat breaks a window.
(c) Pat walks through the front door.
(d) Pat kicks down the door.
8. In what manner does Pat inform Doc of Hardesty's scheme?
9. Why does Pat decide to smuggle Eggleston's body out of the building?
(a) Pat wants to keep the death a secret.
(b) To avoid a return to jail.
(c) Pat thinks Doc can take care of it.
(d) The body is smelling up the office.
10. What shocking revelation does Pat come by in Chapter 25?
(a) Lila is Doc's niece.
(b) Bill Hardesty and Madeline are married.
(c) Doc and Lila are not married.
(d) Doc and Rita are married.
11. What is the first newspaper article about that Pat reads in Chapter 24?
(a) Doc's past.
(b) Eggleston's murder.
(c) Myrtle's resignation.
(d) Capitol City's deterioration.
12. Why does Pat threaten Bill Hardesty with physical violence?
(a) To stop him from lying again.
(b) To stop him from telling anyone about Eggleston's body.
(c) For not revealing the entire plot.
(d) For seeing Madeline.
13. Why would Doc want Pat paroled?
(a) For political reasons.
(b) Doc likes to help those in need.
(c) So that Pat cannot leave the area.
(d) So that the police can keep tabs on Pat.
14. Who achieves wealth and fame at the end of the book?
15. What does Henry bring Pat in Chapter 24?
(a) A letter.
(c) A key.
(d) A newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the agreed opinion of Pat's situation?
2. How does Pat react to the policeman at Eggleston's office building?
3. Where is Eggleston's body?
4. What was Madeline's assignment in Doc's scheme?
5. What happened to Lila's real husband?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)