|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Eggleston's body?
(a) Shoved in the closet.
(b) On the floor.
(c) On the sofa.
(d) At his desk.
2. Why does Pat threaten Bill Hardesty with physical violence?
(a) To stop him from lying again.
(b) For seeing Madeline.
(c) For not revealing the entire plot.
(d) To stop him from telling anyone about Eggleston's body.
3. Who is responsible for exposing Arnholt?
(b) Senator Burkman.
(d) Bill Hardesty.
4. What does Pat wait for, outside Eggleston's office?
(a) For Eggleston to leave.
(b) For Doc's car to pull up.
(c) For the security guard to go on break.
(d) For Madeline to arrive.
5. What is just as easy to get as parole?
(a) A pardon.
(b) A release.
(c) A conviction.
(d) An exchange.
6. How does Lila deal with the grief of losing her husband?
(a) She dyes her hair.
(b) Lila seeks out psychological assistance.
(c) She joins the nunnery.
(d) She becomes promiscuous.
7. What does Pat intend to do at Eggleston's office?
(a) Steal Eggleston's gun.
(b) Surprise Eggleston upon his return.
(c) Go through Eggleston's files.
(d) Wait for Eggleston patiently.
8. Whom will Doc frame for his supposed murder?
(a) Myrtle Briscoe.
(b) Governor Clay.
(d) Senator Burkman.
9. Whom will the life insurance policies benefit?
(c) Bill Hardesty.
10. Where is Pat headed when he spots Lila on the side of the road?
(a) Madeline's apartment.
(b) Capitol City.
(c) Eggleston's office.
(d) His apartment.
11. What is the occupation of the person Pat visited in Chapter 16?
(c) Private Investigator.
(d) Police officer.
12. What does Madeline suggest that taunts Pat?
(a) Bill Hardesty and Madeline are lovers.
(b) Pat is a horrible kisser.
(c) Madeline was bored by Pat's life story.
(d) Madeline is repulsed by Pat.
13. What facial expression does Pat get a glimpse of on Madeline's face?
(a) An expression of fear.
(b) An expression of happiness.
(c) An expression of hatred.
(d) An expression of disgust.
14. What will Pat's room be used for in Chapter 24?
(a) A speech rehearsal.
(b) Servant training.
(c) A business meeting.
(d) A poker game.
15. Who does not believe Pat when he denies the rumor?
(b) Senator Burkman.
(c) Rita Kennedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who achieves wealth and fame at the end of the book?
2. What is the first newspaper article about that Pat reads in Chapter 24?
3. How do the men react to Pat's announcement that Lila is not Doc's wife?
4. According to Madeline, how was she able to win Pat over?
5. Why does Senator Burkman begin to cry?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)