|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Myrtle tell Pat he is becoming involved in?
(a) The greatest opportunity of his life.
(b) Something that is life changing.
(c) Something that is politically dangerous.
(d) Something that likely is illegal.
2. What does the parole officer want in exchange for keeping quiet about what he saw?
(a) Pat's watch.
(c) A date with Madeline.
(d) A car.
3. At the diner, what does Doc promise to do for Pat?
(a) Buy Pat a puppy.
(b) Find Pat a job.
(c) Teach him Japanese.
(d) Plan a fishing trip.
4. What does the parole officer catch Pat doing?
(a) Breaking the terms of his parole.
(b) Kissing Madeline.
(c) Drinking alcohol.
5. Who offers Pat a job?
(a) Doc Luther.
(b) Lila Luther.
(c) No one.
(d) Madeline Flournoy.
6. What do Pat and Madeline promise to do?
(a) Meet for lunch the following day.
(b) Tell Doc about their relationship.
(c) Look out for each other.
(d) Never speak again.
7. What does Pat notice about the downtown of Capitol City?
(a) It has become more upscale.
(b) It is full of new buildings.
(c) It has hardly changed.
(d) It has become slum-like.
8. As of Chapter 13, how long has Pat been out of prison?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) Two and a half weeks.
9. What does Hardesty hint about the plan?
(a) It will involve Pat going back to prison.
(b) It will land Doc in jail.
(c) It will make Pat rich.
(d) It is not well conceived.
10. Which of the following is not included with Pat's new job?
(a) An expense account.
(b) An automobile.
(c) Generous pay.
(d) A meal allowance.
11. What is threatening Pat's situation with Doc?
(a) Lila's flirting.
(b) Pat's relationship with Madeline.
(c) Pat's new job.
(d) Pat's parole officer.
12. Which description best suits Doc?
(a) Salt and pepper hair and rosy cheeks.
(b) Overweight with a soft voice.
(c) Thin with a face of freckles.
(d) Red curly hair and a wild mustache.
13. What does Lila's pregnancy prevent her from doing?
(a) Traveling abroad.
(b) Finishing school.
(c) Working for Doc.
(d) Joining a country club.
14. Who did Pat have a conversation with outside the bank?
(a) The town judge.
(b) The bank manager.
(c) Pat's mother.
(d) The police chief.
15. To where does Lila follow Pat?
(a) Into his apartment.
(b) To a hotel.
(c) To a restaurant.
(d) To the attic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why, in spite of his past, is Doc in influential circles?
2. Whom does Pat meet with in Capitol City?
3. Why is Pat ineligible for parole?
4. How does Lila make Pat feel uncomfortable?
5. What does Doc hope to do by his plan?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)