|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lila react to Doc ordering her to leave the room?
(a) Lila slaps Doc.
(b) Lila breaks a mirror.
(c) Lila leaves in silence.
(d) Lila flings her drink in Doc's face.
2. What does Myrtle tell Pat he is becoming involved in?
(a) Something that is life changing.
(b) The greatest opportunity of his life.
(c) Something that is politically dangerous.
(d) Something that likely is illegal.
3. What does Pat notice about the Capitol building?
(a) The building is modern.
(b) The building is under construction.
(c) The building is in disrepair.
(d) The building is confusing.
4. What does the house where Doc and Pat live look like?
(a) Modern and spacious.
(b) Dilapidated and large.
(c) Old and expensive.
(d) Small and tidy.
5. How has Myrtle kept her position for so long?
(a) She is corrupt.
(b) She is honest.
(c) She is lucky.
(d) She buys votes.
6. How many years has Pat been incarcerated?
(a) Two years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Eleven years.
7. When Doc introduces Madeline to Pat what does he say she is?
(a) His sister.
(b) A secretary.
(c) His ex-girlfriend.
(d) His colleague.
8. Whom does Pat meet with in Capitol City?
(a) Bill Hardesty.
(b) Rita Kennedy.
(c) Myrtle Briscoe.
(d) Senator Burkman.
9. What does Pat wonder about Doc?
(a) What Doc sees in Lila.
(b) Why Doc arranged for Pat's parole.
(c) Why Doc is so mean to Pat.
(d) Doc's age.
10. What does the parole officer want in exchange for keeping quiet about what he saw?
(a) A date with Madeline.
(b) A car.
(c) Pat's watch.
11. What does Pat tell Madeline in Chapter 11?
(a) That Pat is an ex-con.
(b) Pat's life story.
(c) That Doc warned Pat not to go near Madeline.
(d) That Pat doesn't like her.
12. What does Pat claim as he leaves Lila's bedroom?
(a) He feels sick.
(b) He has a headache.
(c) He has an appointment.
(d) He is tired.
13. What does Pat notice about the downtown of Capitol City?
(a) It is full of new buildings.
(b) It has hardly changed.
(c) It has become more upscale.
(d) It has become slum-like.
14. What do Pat and Madeline promise to do?
(a) Meet for lunch the following day.
(b) Never speak again.
(c) Tell Doc about their relationship.
(d) Look out for each other.
15. What does Doc hope to do by his plan?
(a) Sway an upcoming election.
(b) Help the needy.
(c) Gain political power.
(d) Get revenge for a past betrayal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pat hear an argument taking place?
2. What is Pat's initial reaction toward Madeline?
3. What does Pat contemplate while at the diner?
4. When Pat revisits the diner, where does he sit?
5. What does Doc buy for Pat in Capitol City?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)