|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Myrtle believe Pat was paroled?
(a) To alleviate crowding at the prison.
(b) To make Governor Clay look good.
(c) So that Pat could be recruited for organized crime.
(d) In order to discredit her in the election.
2. Which description best suits Doc?
(a) Thin with a face of freckles.
(b) Red curly hair and a wild mustache.
(c) Salt and pepper hair and rosy cheeks.
(d) Overweight with a soft voice.
3. What does Pat tell Madeline in Chapter 11?
(a) That Pat doesn't like her.
(b) That Doc warned Pat not to go near Madeline.
(c) That Pat is an ex-con.
(d) Pat's life story.
4. Whom does Pat meet with in Capitol City?
(a) Myrtle Briscoe.
(b) Rita Kennedy.
(c) Senator Burkman.
(d) Bill Hardesty.
5. What does Hardesty hint about the plan?
(a) It is not well conceived.
(b) It will land Doc in jail.
(c) It will make Pat rich.
(d) It will involve Pat going back to prison.
6. As of Chapter 13, how long has Pat been out of prison?
(a) One month.
(b) Two and a half weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Three weeks.
7. Who did Pat have a conversation with outside the bank?
(a) The police chief.
(b) The bank manager.
(c) The town judge.
(d) Pat's mother.
8. Why, in spite of his past, is Doc in influential circles?
(a) People are forgiving.
(b) No one has found out about his past.
(c) He knows many secrets about important people.
(d) He has bribed people.
9. What does the house where Doc and Pat live look like?
(a) Small and tidy.
(b) Dilapidated and large.
(c) Modern and spacious.
(d) Old and expensive.
10. Where does Pat hear an argument taking place?
(a) At the house.
(b) Doc's car.
(c) A hardware store.
(d) A cafe.
11. What does Pat reveal on his body to Madeline and the parole officer?
(a) An artificial limb.
(c) A birthmark.
12. What has Lila inherited?
(a) An estate.
(b) A yacht.
(c) A car.
13. What does Pat give to Doc in Chapter 4?
(a) A scarf.
(b) A sandwich.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A wad of cash.
14. What does Pat wonder about Doc?
(a) Doc's age.
(b) Why Doc arranged for Pat's parole.
(c) What Doc sees in Lila.
(d) Why Doc is so mean to Pat.
15. What did Doc steal from the school safe?
(a) Scholarship money.
(b) Bake sale profits.
(c) Property deeds.
(d) Tuition receipts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Myrtle tell Pat he is becoming involved in?
2. What does Doc question Pat about?
3. Where did Pat grow up?
4. For what reason does Doc argue with the man in Chapter 4?
5. What is the name of Pat's prison?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)