|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the run-in with Madeline, what does Doc tell Pat on the drive to the house?
(a) He is divorcing his wife.
(b) His employees are not allowed to fraternize.
(c) The front lawn needs mowing.
(d) He is dying.
2. What does the parole officer catch Pat doing?
(a) Drinking alcohol.
(b) Kissing Madeline.
(d) Breaking the terms of his parole.
3. How does Lila make Doc jealous?
(a) Lila flirts with other men.
(b) Lila eats whatever she wants.
(c) Lila spends too much time with her friends.
(d) Lila wears revealing clothing.
4. What does Pat do to Lila in Chapter 15?
(a) Pat fixes her hair.
(b) Pat flirts with Lila.
(c) Pat slaps Lila.
(d) Pat pushes Lila out of the room.
5. What is Pat's initial reaction toward Madeline?
6. Who follows Pat out of town with Myrtle?
(a) A policeman.
(c) Governor Clay.
7. What happens between Pat and Madeline at Doc's car?
(a) They kiss.
(b) They wait for Doc.
(c) They tussle.
(d) They exchange phone numbers.
8. At the diner, what does Doc promise to do for Pat?
(a) Plan a fishing trip.
(b) Buy Pat a puppy.
(c) Find Pat a job.
(d) Teach him Japanese.
9. How has Myrtle kept her position for so long?
(a) She buys votes.
(b) She is lucky.
(c) She is corrupt.
(d) She is honest.
10. How does Lila explain the purchase of the car?
(a) It is a congratulatory gift.
(b) It is for work.
(c) It is a Christmas present.
(d) It is a birthday surprise.
11. How does Myrtle feel about Doc?
(a) He is a corrupting influence.
(b) He is her political ally.
(c) He is a respectable gentleman.
(d) He is a suspicious man.
12. Why is Pat ineligible for parole?
(a) He is too dangerous.
(b) Pat has a life sentence.
(c) Pat behaved badly in prison.
(d) Pat does not have a sponsor.
13. Who offers Pat a job?
(a) Lila Luther.
(b) No one.
(c) Madeline Flournoy.
(d) Doc Luther.
14. Where does Pat visit Madeline in Chapter 11?
(a) At Madeline's apartment.
(b) At Pat's apartment.
(c) At a coffee shop.
(d) The Capitol building.
15. Who did Pat have a conversation with outside the bank?
(a) The town judge.
(b) Pat's mother.
(c) The police chief.
(d) The bank manager.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Myrtle question Pat about?
2. What does Doc hope to do by his plan?
3. What did Pat Cosgrove go to jail for?
4. Which description best suits Doc?
5. What does Pat claim as he leaves Lila's bedroom?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)