|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, in spite of his past, is Doc in influential circles?
(a) He knows many secrets about important people.
(b) No one has found out about his past.
(c) People are forgiving.
(d) He has bribed people.
2. What does Pat claim as he leaves Lila's bedroom?
(a) He is tired.
(b) He feels sick.
(c) He has a headache.
(d) He has an appointment.
3. After questioning Pat, what does Doc determine?
(a) Pat is a terrible liar.
(b) Pat has an excellent memory.
(c) Pat is very polite.
(d) Pat has a vivid imagination.
4. What does the parole officer catch Pat doing?
(a) Kissing Madeline.
(c) Breaking the terms of his parole.
(d) Drinking alcohol.
5. Who supposedly bought the car in Pat's name?
(a) Pat's mistress.
(b) Pat's boss.
(c) Pat's wife.
(d) Pat's father.
6. For what reason does Doc argue with the man in Chapter 4?
(a) The man rear-ended his car.
(b) The man has been overly flirtatious with Lila.
(c) The man gave Doc a parking ticket.
(d) The man owes Doc money.
7. Who occupies the lower apartments of the house?
(a) Senator Burkman and his children.
(b) Doc and Lila.
(c) Governor Clay and Myrtle Briscoe.
(d) Madeline and Willie.
8. What does Pat give to the parole officer who sneaks into Madeline's apartment ?
(a) A watch.
(b) A severe beating.
(c) His shirt.
9. What does Myrtle question Pat about?
(a) A bank account opened in his name.
(b) A police report about him.
(c) A car purchased in his name.
(d) An apartment rented in his name.
10. Where do Pat and Doc eat lunch in Chapter 7?
(a) The roadhouse diner.
(b) In the Capitol building cafeteria.
(c) A taco stand.
(d) A cafe.
11. How does Myrtle feel about Doc?
(a) He is a respectable gentleman.
(b) He is a suspicious man.
(c) He is a corrupting influence.
(d) He is her political ally.
12. How does Lila make Pat feel uncomfortable?
(a) Lila makes a pass at him.
(b) Lila wears revealing clothing.
(c) Lila talks about her money problems.
(d) Lila talks about her marital problems.
13. What does Doc question Pat about?
(a) How Pat intends to spend his money.
(b) Pat's time in jail.
(c) Whom Pat met at the house.
(d) His conversation with Bill.
14. Where did Pat grow up?
(a) A rough urban neighborhood.
(b) The suburbs.
(c) Capitol City.
(d) A small rural town.
15. What does Doc buy for Pat in Capitol City?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Pat have a conversation with outside the bank?
2. How has Myrtle kept her position for so long?
3. What happened to Lila's baby?
4. What is Bill Hardesty's profession?
5. When does Doc take Pat downtown?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)