|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Doc question Pat about?
(a) Whom Pat met at the house.
(b) How Pat intends to spend his money.
(c) Pat's time in jail.
(d) His conversation with Bill.
2. Where do Doc and Pat drive to in Chapter 5?
(a) The State Capital building.
(b) Senator Burkman's office.
(c) The public library.
(d) Back home.
3. Who did Pat have a conversation with outside the bank?
(a) The bank manager.
(b) Pat's mother.
(c) The police chief.
(d) The town judge.
4. Who offers Pat a job?
(a) Madeline Flournoy.
(b) Lila Luther.
(c) Doc Luther.
(d) No one.
5. What does Hardesty hint about the plan?
(a) It will make Pat rich.
(b) It will land Doc in jail.
(c) It will involve Pat going back to prison.
(d) It is not well conceived.
6. How does Myrtle feel about Doc?
(a) He is a suspicious man.
(b) He is her political ally.
(c) He is a corrupting influence.
(d) He is a respectable gentleman.
7. What does Pat reveal on his body to Madeline and the parole officer?
(a) An artificial limb.
(c) A birthmark.
8. What does Pat claim as he leaves Lila's bedroom?
(a) He is tired.
(b) He has an appointment.
(c) He has a headache.
(d) He feels sick.
9. After the run-in with Madeline, what does Doc tell Pat on the drive to the house?
(a) His employees are not allowed to fraternize.
(b) He is dying.
(c) The front lawn needs mowing.
(d) He is divorcing his wife.
10. Why, in spite of his past, is Doc in influential circles?
(a) He has bribed people.
(b) People are forgiving.
(c) No one has found out about his past.
(d) He knows many secrets about important people.
11. What does Lila Luther look like?
(a) Pale, statuesque, and freckly.
(b) Thin, with red hair, and glasses.
(c) Tall, slender, and blonde.
(d) Short, round, and brunette.
12. What did Doc steal from the school safe?
(a) Bake sale profits.
(b) Property deeds.
(c) Scholarship money.
(d) Tuition receipts.
13. For what reason does Doc argue with the man in Chapter 4?
(a) The man owes Doc money.
(b) The man has been overly flirtatious with Lila.
(c) The man rear-ended his car.
(d) The man gave Doc a parking ticket.
14. What happens between Pat and Madeline at Doc's car?
(a) They tussle.
(b) They wait for Doc.
(c) They exchange phone numbers.
(d) They kiss.
15. What does Pat give to Doc in Chapter 4?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A wad of cash.
(d) A sandwich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madeline take from Doc's car?
2. What did Pat Cosgrove go to jail for?
3. What is Pat's initial reaction toward Madeline?
4. What does the house where Doc and Pat live look like?
5. What does Myrtle tell Pat he is becoming involved in?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)