Chapter 1, Doc Luther
* The reader is introduced to Doc.
* Doc peruses papers that indicate he has sponsored a convict for parole.
Chapter 2, Cosgrove
* The reader is introduced to Pat.
* Doc and Pat stop at a roadhouse diner for lunch.
* Doc tells Pat that he does not have a job for Pat.
* Doc takes Pat to his new home.
* Senator Burkman gives Pat a job at the Highway Commission.
* Pat learns that Governor Clay was the one who paroled him.
* Doc takes Pat to downtown Capitol City.
* Doc buys Pat clothes.
* Pat overhears an argument between Doc and another man.
* Doc introduces Pat to Bill Hardesty, his longtime associate and business partner.
* Doc discovers Pat has an exceptionally good memory.
* Doc and Pat visit Myrtle Briscoe.
* Myrtle is upset with the parole and tells Pat that he is being taken advantage of.
* Myrtle, Doc...
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)