|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where can Bruce and Nola spend a night alone together?
2. Who had Bruce given the item in #110 to wear?
3. Why did Nola not lose at the card game?
4. Which one of Bruce's friends goes with Bruce and Nola to a cabin one weekend?
5. What would be Bruce's biggest reason for staying in Salt Lake City?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bruce and Nola have few intimate moments together?
2. What does Bruce recall about his brother, Chet's, life?
3. How have Bruce's perceptions of Nola changed over the years?
4. What factors must Bruce weigh in making decisions for his future?
5. How did Nola avoid having sex with Bruce in the cabin that weekend?
6. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
7. What does the author reveal about the way Chet had died?
8. How does Bruce violate his instincts about bringing any friends into their home?
9. What had Bruce thought about Nola's family members?
10. What conclusion does Bruce arrive at regarding Nola's need for a man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does Stegner use the literary technique of local color in RECAPITULATION? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Salt Lake City establishments, in the characters, and i the events.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)