|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bruce note about the second house he visits on this night?
2. At what university is Bruce offered a fellowship?
3. Bruce recalls that Bailey ____________________ Nola.
4. What did Bruce and Nola hear on the the night they were at the cabin?
5. Why did Nola not lose at the card game?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Bruce's perceptions of Nola changed over the years?
2. What does Bruce recall about his brother, Chet's, life?
3. How does Bruce feel that he is above Nola's family members?
4. What does Bruce recall about spending time at the Mulders' home?
5. What had Bruce thought about Nola's family members?
6. Why does Bruce think more about his time with Nola than Chet when he returned for Chet's funeral?
7. What factors must Bruce weigh in making decisions for his future?
8. What prompts Bruce to ask Nola to marry him?
9. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
10. How did Nola avoid having sex with Bruce in the cabin that weekend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mrs. Mason. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
At the core of RECAPITULATION is the study of a father and son relationship. Define the relationship between Bruce and his father. Why was it so combative? What long-term effect did the relationship have on Bruce's life? How does Bruce come to terms with this primary relationship?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)