|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Bill Binnion?
2. With whom did Nola eventually run away?
3. In what year did Bruce go to the prom?
4. What restricted the intimate moments between Bruce and Nola?
5. What do Bruce and Nola do when the return to the prom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bruce and Nola have few intimate moments together?
2. What does Bruce recall about his brother, Chet's, life?
3. What conclusion does Bruce arrive at regarding Nola's need for a man?
4. Why does Bruce think more about his time with Nola than Chet when he returned for Chet's funeral?
5. How did Bruce separate himself from his own family in favor of the Mulders?
6. What does the author reveal about the way Chet had died?
7. What does Bruce recall about Nola's virginity the first time they were intimate?
8. How did Nola avoid having sex with Bruce in the cabin that weekend?
9. How does Bruce violate his instincts about bringing any friends into their home?
10. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Stegner use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)