|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion did Nola's family practice?
2. In what field would Bruce be continuing his education?
3. How was Nola during Bruce's home visit in January?
4. Why had Nola's ex-boyfriend come to visit her?
5. Who was Bill Binnion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
2. What does Bruce recall about his brother, Chet's, life?
3. How does Bruce feel that he is above Nola's family members?
4. How have Bruce's perceptions of Nola changed over the years?
5. How does Bruce violate his instincts about bringing any friends into their home?
6. Why did Bruce and Nola have few intimate moments together?
7. How does the author show Bruce's affections for his mother regarding his going to the prom?
8. What does the author reveal about the way Chet had died?
9. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
10. What prompts Bruce to ask Nola to marry him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Stegner use the literary technique of local color in RECAPITULATION? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Salt Lake City establishments, in the characters, and i the events.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Bruce's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Salt Lake City?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Bruce. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Bruce's role in his family? What is it about Bruce that men in authority want to help him achieve a brighter future?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)