|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bruce suspect is the reason Nola did not want to make love at the cabin?
2. In what year did Bruce go to the prom?
3. Who had Bruce given the item in #110 to wear?
4. Where did Bruce's father go instead of caring for his wife who was recuperating from surgery?
5. Bruce recalls that he had gone home in January for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Bruce's father done that solidifies Bruce's hatred for him?
2. What prompts Bruce to ask Nola to marry him?
3. What factors must Bruce weigh in making decisions for his future?
4. How does Bruce feel that he is above Nola's family members?
5. How did Bruce separate himself from his own family in favor of the Mulders?
6. What game did the couples play when Bruce and Nola accompanied Bailey and his girlfriend to a cabin one weekend?
7. How does the author show Bruce's affections for his mother regarding his going to the prom?
8. What did Bruce do when it became apparent that Bailey was hitting on Nola?
9. Other than leaving Nola, what complicated Bruce's decision regarding going to law school?
10. What does the author reveal about the way Chet had died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mrs. Mason. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
How does Stegner use the literary technique of local color in RECAPITULATION? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Salt Lake City establishments, in the characters, and i the events.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)