|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Bruce go to the prom?
2. Where did Bruce's father go instead of caring for his wife who was recuperating from surgery?
3. Why is Bruce intrigued by the box given to him by the funeral director?
4. The only two members of Nola's family that Bruce likes are her brother and ____________.
5. Why was Chet's annulled marriage renewed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bruce and Nola have few intimate moments together?
2. What were the circumstances that prompted Bruce to go to law school?
3. What conclusion does Bruce arrive at regarding Nola's need for a man?
4. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
5. What does Bruce recall about Nola's virginity the first time they were intimate?
6. How does Bruce violate his instincts about bringing any friends into their home?
7. How does the author show Bruce's affections for his mother regarding his going to the prom?
8. What did Bruce do when it became apparent that Bailey was hitting on Nola?
9. How does Bruce feel that he is above Nola's family members?
10. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Bruce's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Salt Lake City?
Essay Topic 2
At the core of RECAPITULATION is the study of a father and son relationship. Define the relationship between Bruce and his father. Why was it so combative? What long-term effect did the relationship have on Bruce's life? How does Bruce come to terms with this primary relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mr. Mason. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)