|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had been the only true aspiration Bruce had for himself?
2. What was the nature of the relationship between Bruce and the person in #105?
3. Why was Bruce reluctant to leave his mother at home while he went to the prom?
4. Why did Nola not lose at the card game?
5. What restricted the intimate moments between Bruce and Nola?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bruce violate his instincts about bringing any friends into their home?
2. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
3. What does Bruce recall about his brother, Chet's, life?
4. What were the circumstances that prompted Bruce to go to law school?
5. What does Bruce recall about spending time at the Mulders' home?
6. How does the author show Bruce's affections for his mother regarding his going to the prom?
7. What does the author reveal about the way Chet had died?
8. How did Nola avoid having sex with Bruce in the cabin that weekend?
9. How have Bruce's perceptions of Nola changed over the years?
10. What factors must Bruce weigh in making decisions for his future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does Stegner use the literary technique of local color in RECAPITULATION? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Salt Lake City establishments, in the characters, and i the events.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)