|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Bruce anxious to leave Nola's sister's wedding?
2. What would be Bruce's biggest reason for leaving Salt Lake City?
3. What did Bruce and Nola hear on the the night they were at the cabin?
4. What does Bruce suspect is the reason Nola did not want to make love at the cabin?
5. The only two members of Nola's family that Bruce likes are her brother and ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bruce think more about his time with Nola than Chet when he returned for Chet's funeral?
2. Other than leaving Nola, what complicated Bruce's decision regarding going to law school?
3. What does Bruce recall about his brother, Chet's, life?
4. What did Bruce do when it became apparent that Bailey was hitting on Nola?
5. How does the author show Bruce's affections for his mother regarding his going to the prom?
6. How have Bruce's perceptions of Nola changed over the years?
7. What does Bruce recall about Nola's virginity the first time they were intimate?
8. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
9. What game did the couples play when Bruce and Nola accompanied Bailey and his girlfriend to a cabin one weekend?
10. How did Bruce separate himself from his own family in favor of the Mulders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Bruce's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Salt Lake City?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Stegner's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in RECAPITULATION.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)