|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which girl did Bruce take to the prom?
2. What does Bruce suspect is the reason Nola did not want to make love at the cabin?
3. What does Nola say when Bruce asks her to marry him?
4. Nola's family's business was ________________.
5. What does Mature Bruce think that Nola would not have appreciated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the only life Bruce had ever envisioned for his future?
2. Why did Bruce and Nola have few intimate moments together?
3. How did Nola avoid having sex with Bruce in the cabin that weekend?
4. What does the author reveal about the way Chet had died?
5. What factors must Bruce weigh in making decisions for his future?
6. What prompts Bruce to ask Nola to marry him?
7. What conclusion does Bruce arrive at regarding Nola's need for a man?
8. How did Bruce separate himself from his own family in favor of the Mulders?
9. What does Bruce recall about his brother, Chet's, life?
10. What has Bruce's father done that solidifies Bruce's hatred for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Bruce's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Salt Lake City?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)