|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the pictures that Bruce sees in the box?
2. What does Bruce recall about himself as a youth?
3. Bruce recalls that he had gone home in January for what reason?
4. Why had Nola's ex-boyfriend come to visit her?
5. Which girl did Bruce take to the prom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
2. How does the author show Bruce's affections for his mother regarding his going to the prom?
3. What had Bruce thought about Nola's family members?
4. How did Nola avoid having sex with Bruce in the cabin that weekend?
5. How did Bruce separate himself from his own family in favor of the Mulders?
6. What did Bruce do when it became apparent that Bailey was hitting on Nola?
7. How have Bruce's perceptions of Nola changed over the years?
8. What does Bruce recall about Nola's virginity the first time they were intimate?
9. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
10. What does Bruce recall about his brother, Chet's, life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Stegner use the literary technique of local color in RECAPITULATION? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Salt Lake City establishments, in the characters, and i the events.
Essay Topic 2
At the core of RECAPITULATION is the study of a father and son relationship. Define the relationship between Bruce and his father. Why was it so combative? What long-term effect did the relationship have on Bruce's life? How does Bruce come to terms with this primary relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Stegner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)