|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nola's family could be called ___________.
2. What happens when Bruce knocks on the door of the house?
3. What restricted the intimate moments between Bruce and Nola?
4. What is Bruce doing as Part 3, Chapter 6 begins?
5. Where had Bruce and Joe both worked during school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author reveal about the way Chet had died?
2. What was the only life Bruce had ever envisioned for his future?
3. Why did Bruce and Nola have few intimate moments together?
4. What conclusion does Bruce arrive at regarding Nola's need for a man?
5. How have Bruce's perceptions of Nola changed over the years?
6. What has Bruce's father done that solidifies Bruce's hatred for him?
7. What prompts Bruce to ask Nola to marry him?
8. What did Bruce do when it became apparent that Bailey was hitting on Nola?
9. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
10. What factors must Bruce weigh in making decisions for his future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bruce. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Bruce's role in his family? What is it about Bruce that men in authority want to help him achieve a brighter future?
Essay Topic 2
At the core of RECAPITULATION is the study of a father and son relationship. Define the relationship between Bruce and his father. Why was it so combative? What long-term effect did the relationship have on Bruce's life? How does Bruce come to terms with this primary relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Stegner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)