|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Joe's father's name?
2. Whose home does Bruce walk to in Part 2, Chapter 1?
3. Who was Bill Binnion?
4. What restricted the intimate moments between Bruce and Nola?
5. Why didn't Nola want to leave the cabin early?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Bruce's father done that solidifies Bruce's hatred for him?
2. What does Bruce recall about spending time at the Mulders' home?
3. What did Bruce do when it became apparent that Bailey was hitting on Nola?
4. How does Bruce violate his instincts about bringing any friends into their home?
5. What conclusion does Bruce arrive at regarding Nola's need for a man?
6. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
7. What does Bruce recall about Nola's virginity the first time they were intimate?
8. How did Nola avoid having sex with Bruce in the cabin that weekend?
9. How have Bruce's perceptions of Nola changed over the years?
10. What game did the couples play when Bruce and Nola accompanied Bailey and his girlfriend to a cabin one weekend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Stegner use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)