|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Nola's ex-boyfriend come to visit her?
2. What does Bruce note about the second house he visits on this night?
3. After what event had the person in #127 written the letter?
4. With whom does Bruce believe Nola had made love before him?
5. The box contains two stacks of letters, an envelope filled with pictures and _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Bruce's perceptions of Nola changed over the years?
2. What was the only life Bruce had ever envisioned for his future?
3. What does Bruce recall about Nola's virginity the first time they were intimate?
4. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
5. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
6. What does Bruce recall about his brother, Chet's, life?
7. What prompts Bruce to ask Nola to marry him?
8. What does the author reveal about the way Chet had died?
9. What conclusion does Bruce arrive at regarding Nola's need for a man?
10. What game did the couples play when Bruce and Nola accompanied Bailey and his girlfriend to a cabin one weekend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Stegner's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in RECAPITULATION.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Bruce. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Bruce's role in his family? What is it about Bruce that men in authority want to help him achieve a brighter future?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)