|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bruce recall about the Mulder family?
2. Why did Joe once shove Bailey into a trash can?
3. What is Bruce doing as Part 3, Chapter 6 begins?
4. What does Bruce believe about Nola and the first time he made love to her?
5. Bruce recalls that Bailey ____________________ Nola.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bruce feel that he is above Nola's family members?
2. Why does Bruce think more about his time with Nola than Chet when he returned for Chet's funeral?
3. What factors must Bruce weigh in making decisions for his future?
4. What had Bruce thought about Nola's family members?
5. How did Nola avoid having sex with Bruce in the cabin that weekend?
6. What game did the couples play when Bruce and Nola accompanied Bailey and his girlfriend to a cabin one weekend?
7. What prompts Bruce to ask Nola to marry him?
8. How did Bruce separate himself from his own family in favor of the Mulders?
9. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
10. What does the author reveal about the way Chet had died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mrs. Mason. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
How does Stegner use the literary technique of local color in RECAPITULATION? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Salt Lake City establishments, in the characters, and i the events.
Essay Topic 3
Memories take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)