|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What restricted the intimate moments between Bruce and Nola?
2. What is Bruce doing as Part 3, Chapter 6 begins?
3. Who interrupts Bruce and Nola during the activity in #104?
4. What garment is inside the box?
5. Why was Bruce reluctant to leave his mother at home while he went to the prom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bruce think more about his time with Nola than Chet when he returned for Chet's funeral?
2. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
3. How does the author show Bruce's affections for his mother regarding his going to the prom?
4. What does Bruce recall about Nola's virginity the first time they were intimate?
5. What conclusion does Bruce arrive at regarding Nola's need for a man?
6. What has Bruce's father done that solidifies Bruce's hatred for him?
7. Why did Bruce and Nola have few intimate moments together?
8. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
9. How did Bruce separate himself from his own family in favor of the Mulders?
10. What factors must Bruce weigh in making decisions for his future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bruce. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Bruce's role in his family? What is it about Bruce that men in authority want to help him achieve a brighter future?
Essay Topic 2
Memories take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
How does Stegner use the literary technique of local color in RECAPITULATION? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Salt Lake City establishments, in the characters, and i the events.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)