|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bruce leave at the end of the summer?
2. What had been the only true aspiration Bruce had for himself?
3. What card game did the couples play at the cabin in the woods?
4. What does Bruce believe about Nola and the first time he made love to her?
5. After what event had the person in #127 written the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What game did the couples play when Bruce and Nola accompanied Bailey and his girlfriend to a cabin one weekend?
2. What does Bruce recall about his brother, Chet's, life?
3. How does Bruce feel that he is above Nola's family members?
4. What does Bruce recall about spending time at the Mulders' home?
5. What has Bruce's father done that solidifies Bruce's hatred for him?
6. What does the author reveal about the way Chet had died?
7. What factors must Bruce weigh in making decisions for his future?
8. Why did Bruce and Nola have few intimate moments together?
9. How does Bruce violate his instincts about bringing any friends into their home?
10. What did Bruce do when it became apparent that Bailey was hitting on Nola?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mr. Mason. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)