|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bruce recalls that Bailey ____________________ Nola.
2. At what university is Bruce offered a fellowship?
3. What restricted the intimate moments between Bruce and Nola?
4. Why had Nola's sister married her new husband?
5. Bruce recalls that he had gone home in January for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Bruce's father done that solidifies Bruce's hatred for him?
2. What conclusion does Bruce arrive at regarding Nola's need for a man?
3. What does the author reveal about the way Chet had died?
4. How did Bruce separate himself from his own family in favor of the Mulders?
5. Other than leaving Nola, what complicated Bruce's decision regarding going to law school?
6. How did Nola avoid having sex with Bruce in the cabin that weekend?
7. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
8. How have Bruce's perceptions of Nola changed over the years?
9. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
10. What did Bruce do when it became apparent that Bailey was hitting on Nola?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mrs. Mason. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)