|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Nola want to leave the cabin early?
2. What was the reason Nola ran off with the person in #158?
3. What would be Bruce's biggest reason for staying in Salt Lake City?
4. The box contains two stacks of letters, an envelope filled with pictures and _______________.
5. Nola's family's business was ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Bruce thought about Nola's family members?
2. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
3. Why did Bruce and Nola have few intimate moments together?
4. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
5. How does the author show Bruce's affections for his mother regarding his going to the prom?
6. What does Bruce recall about spending time at the Mulders' home?
7. What does Bruce recall about his brother, Chet's, life?
8. What game did the couples play when Bruce and Nola accompanied Bailey and his girlfriend to a cabin one weekend?
9. What conclusion does Bruce arrive at regarding Nola's need for a man?
10. Why does Bruce think more about his time with Nola than Chet when he returned for Chet's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Mason. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Stegner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)