|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bruce and Nola hear on the the night they were at the cabin?
2. Where had Bruce spent his career as a diplomat?
3. Nola's family's business was ________________.
4. Bruce recalls that Bailey ____________________ Nola.
5. Bruce recalls that he had gone home in January for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bruce do when it became apparent that Bailey was hitting on Nola?
2. What conclusion does Bruce arrive at regarding Nola's need for a man?
3. Why does Bruce think more about his time with Nola than Chet when he returned for Chet's funeral?
4. What prompts Bruce to ask Nola to marry him?
5. How did Bruce separate himself from his own family in favor of the Mulders?
6. What game did the couples play when Bruce and Nola accompanied Bailey and his girlfriend to a cabin one weekend?
7. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
8. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
9. How does the author show Bruce's affections for his mother regarding his going to the prom?
10. How does Bruce feel that he is above Nola's family members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Mason. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Stegner uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Salt Lake City using only your recall of Stegner's descriptions. How do you visualize the city of Salt Lake City now that you have read Stegner's RECAPITULATION?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Bruce. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Bruce's role in his family? What is it about Bruce that men in authority want to help him achieve a brighter future?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)