|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bruce hate his father?
2. What instrument did the girl in #11 play?
3. Why does Bruce walk all the way home on this night?
4. What job does Bruce recall having when he was a boy?
5. What does Bruce also plan to do when he visits the city in #4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bruce disappointed in his mother?
2. How does Bruce distinguish between Young Bruce and Mature Bruce?
3. What was the importance of the tennis club in Bruce's life?
4. Who is Nola and what is her role in Bruce's life?
5. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
6. What messy school project does Bruce recall and how did his father harass him?
7. How does the episode of Bruce touching the girl's breast show what a simple time he lived in?
8. What two buildings does Bruce see that were important in his father's life?
9. What does Bruce learn about the phone number given to him by the funeral director?
10. Who are Holly and Nola and what prompts Bruce to think of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Stegner's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in RECAPITULATION.
Essay Topic 2
Bruce spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mrs. Mason. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)