|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a taboo subject when Bruce was a teenager?
2. Who was the girl Bruce spent time with in this old building?
3. What type of business does Bruce's father run out of their home?
4. Where did Bruce have the job mentioned in #52?
5. Why does Bruce cry while he works on his project?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bruce distinguish between Young Bruce and Mature Bruce?
2. What happens when the girl's boyfriend realizes that Bruce has gotten fresh with her?
3. How did Bruce come to join the tennis club?
4. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
5. What is the premise of RECAPITULATION?
6. What was the only life Bruce had ever envisioned for his future?
7. What has Bruce's father done that solidifies Bruce's hatred for him?
8. How does the episode of Bruce touching the girl's breast show what a simple time he lived in?
9. Why does Bruce hate his father for his own sake?
10. How does the author show Bruce's affections for his mother regarding his going to the prom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mrs. Mason. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Stegner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,566 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)