|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many siblings does Bruce have?
2. Who was the girl Bruce spent time with in this old building?
3. What type of store did Jack Bailey once work in?
4. How does the person in #49 respond to Bruce's advice?
5. What does the breeze from the mountain remind Bruce of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruce recall about the house once he is inside?
2. What happens when the girl's boyfriend realizes that Bruce has gotten fresh with her?
3. What does Bruce learn about the phone number given to him by the funeral director?
4. What happened after Bruce finally made it into Nola's room?
5. Why is Bruce disappointed in his mother?
6. What messy school project does Bruce recall and how did his father harass him?
7. How does the episode of Bruce touching the girl's breast show what a simple time he lived in?
8. What prompts Bruce to think of Jack Bailey and what does he recall regarding Jack being a cad with women?
9. Describe the situation in which Bruce touches a girl's breast for the first time.
10. What is the nature of Bruce's father's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stegner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mr. Mason. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Bruce's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Salt Lake City?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)