|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bruce's father places his desire to break the law above ____________________.
2. Bruce thinks of himself as two different people--Young Bruce and _______________.
3. What does Bruce's mother want him to do after he walked home from work?
4. What is the last name of the woman in #62?
5. What is Bruce Mason's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What messy school project does Bruce recall and how did his father harass him?
2. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
3. What does Bruce recall about the house once he is inside?
4. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
5. What was the importance of the tennis club in Bruce's life?
6. How does the author show that Joe had been an important part of Bruce's life?
7. What prompts Bruce to think of Jack Bailey and what does he recall regarding Jack being a cad with women?
8. What two items does the funeral director give Bruce before he leaves?
9. Why does Bruce hate his father for his own sake?
10. What happens when the girl's boyfriend realizes that Bruce has gotten fresh with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Stegner use the literary technique of local color in RECAPITULATION? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Salt Lake City establishments, in the characters, and i the events.
Essay Topic 2
Stegner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)