|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room does Bruce recognize in the funeral home building?
2. Bruce drives by a _______________ and recalls a girl he used to date who worked there.
3. What does Bruce do with the item he steals from a neighbor's house?
4. Where had Bruce's mother made his father get him a summer membership?
5. Where did Bruce have the job mentioned in #52?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the two friends that Bruce recalls as he reminisces about his childhood?
2. What happens when the girl's boyfriend realizes that Bruce has gotten fresh with her?
3. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
4. What prompts Bruce to recall a time he worked as a busboy at a restaurant on a lake.
5. What was the importance of the tennis club in Bruce's life?
6. Who are Holly and Nola and what prompts Bruce to think of them?
7. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
8. What does Bruce learn about the phone number given to him by the funeral director?
9. How does the episode of Bruce touching the girl's breast show what a simple time he lived in?
10. What is the premise of RECAPITULATION?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bruce. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Bruce's role in his family? What is it about Bruce that men in authority want to help him achieve a brighter future?
Essay Topic 2
How does Stegner use the literary technique of local color in RECAPITULATION? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Salt Lake City establishments, in the characters, and i the events.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)