|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument did the girl in #11 play?
2. Who does Bruce try to give advice to in the restaurant?
3. Why does Bruce walk all the way home on this night?
4. Who does Bruce stand behind in line after work one night?
5. Bruce recalls that he was a/an _____________ teenager.
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Bruce to recall a time he worked as a busboy at a restaurant on a lake.
2. What is the symbolism of the cabbage that Bruce steals?
3. How does the elevator episode show Bruce's feelings for Nola?
4. What does Bruce recall about the house once he is inside?
5. How does the author show that Joe had been an important part of Bruce's life?
6. Describe the situation in which Bruce touches a girl's breast for the first time.
7. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
8. Who are the two friends that Bruce recalls as he reminisces about his childhood?
9. What was the importance of the tennis club in Bruce's life?
10. What does Bruce learn about the phone number given to him by the funeral director?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
At the core of RECAPITULATION is the study of a father and son relationship. Define the relationship between Bruce and his father. Why was it so combative? What long-term effect did the relationship have on Bruce's life? How does Bruce come to terms with this primary relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)