|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nola is described as ______________________.
2. What type of business had Bruce's father had which has been replaced by a tall building?
3. Who was the girl Bruce spent time with in this old building?
4. In what type of establishment had Bruce's father killed himself?
5. How does Bruce spend most of his time now?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bruce distinguish between Young Bruce and Mature Bruce?
2. How did Bruce come to join the tennis club?
3. How does the elevator episode show Bruce's feelings for Nola?
4. Why does Bruce hate his father for his mother's sake?
5. Who are Holly and Nola and what prompts Bruce to think of them?
6. What two items does the funeral director give Bruce before he leaves?
7. Why does Bruce hate his father for his own sake?
8. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
9. What were Bruce's school years like?
10. Why is Bruce disappointed in his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mr. Mason. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mrs. Mason. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)