|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last name of the woman in #62?
2. What does Bruce do with the item he steals from a neighbor's house?
3. Why is Bruce's father angry at Bruce and his mother?
4. In school, Bruce was always too small and too ______________.
5. Why does Bruce hate his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bruce distinguish between Young Bruce and Mature Bruce?
2. What is the nature of Bruce's father's work?
3. What was the importance of the tennis club in Bruce's life?
4. What does Bruce learn about the phone number given to him by the funeral director?
5. What happened after Bruce finally made it into Nola's room?
6. What were Bruce's school years like?
7. Who is Nola and what is her role in Bruce's life?
8. Who are the two friends that Bruce recalls as he reminisces about his childhood?
9. What messy school project does Bruce recall and how did his father harass him?
10. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Bruce's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Salt Lake City?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)