|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bruce steal from a neighbor's house?
2. What type of business had Bruce's father had which has been replaced by a tall building?
3. Why did the young woman ask Bruce to leave her hotel room?
4. In what type of establishment had Bruce's father killed himself?
5. Who does Bruce stand behind in line after work one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the episode of Bruce touching the girl's breast show what a simple time he lived in?
2. What was the importance of the tennis club in Bruce's life?
3. Who are Holly and Nola and what prompts Bruce to think of them?
4. How did Bruce come to join the tennis club?
5. How does Bruce distinguish between Young Bruce and Mature Bruce?
6. What saddens Bruce as he walks the streets of Salt Lake City?
7. Who are the two friends that Bruce recalls as he reminisces about his childhood?
8. Why is Bruce disappointed in his mother?
9. Why does Bruce hate his father for his mother's sake?
10. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stegner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Stegner uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Salt Lake City using only your recall of Stegner's descriptions. How do you visualize the city of Salt Lake City now that you have read Stegner's RECAPITULATION?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)