Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bruce's family have to move every few months?
2. In what type of establishment had Bruce's father killed himself?
3. To what city does Bruce travel to plan his aunt's funeral?
4. What does the funeral director give to Bruce before he leaves?
5. How does the person in #49 respond to Bruce's advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
2. How does the episode of Bruce touching the girl's breast show what a simple time he lived in?
3. Describe the situation in which Bruce touches a girl's breast for the first time.
4. What does Bruce do that creates a positive bond between him and his father and then what does his father do that ruins all those good feelings?
5. Why is Bruce disappointed in his mother?
6. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
7. What does Bruce recall about the house once he is inside?
8. What prompts Bruce to recall a time he worked as a busboy at a restaurant on a lake.
9. Why does Bruce think more about his time with Nola than Chet when he returned for Chet's funeral?
10. What happened after Bruce finally made it into Nola's room?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)