|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Bruce have the job mentioned in #52?
2. Who was Bruce's brother?
3. Why does a girl's boyfriend get mad at Bruce?
4. For which teacher did Bruce want to make a special display?
5. What does Bruce's mother want him to do after he walked home from work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Bruce to think of Jack Bailey and what does he recall regarding Jack being a cad with women?
2. Describe the situation in which Bruce touches a girl's breast for the first time.
3. Who is Nola and what is her role in Bruce's life?
4. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
5. How does the elevator episode show Bruce's feelings for Nola?
6. Who are the two friends that Bruce recalls as he reminisces about his childhood?
7. What does Bruce learn about the phone number given to him by the funeral director?
8. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
9. How does the episode of Bruce touching the girl's breast show what a simple time he lived in?
10. What were Bruce's school years like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the core of RECAPITULATION is the study of a father and son relationship. Define the relationship between Bruce and his father. Why was it so combative? What long-term effect did the relationship have on Bruce's life? How does Bruce come to terms with this primary relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mrs. Mason. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Stegner's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in RECAPITULATION.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)