|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Bruce's good friend in college?
2. In school, Bruce was always too small and too ______________.
3. How old is Bruce Mason?
4. Where had Bruce's mother made his father get him a summer membership?
5. Jack Bailey once made love to a girl __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Bruce to recall a time he worked as a busboy at a restaurant on a lake.
2. Who is Nola and what is her role in Bruce's life?
3. What saddens Bruce as he walks the streets of Salt Lake City?
4. Describe the situation in which Bruce touches a girl's breast for the first time.
5. What two buildings does Bruce see that were important in his father's life?
6. How does the author show that Joe had been an important part of Bruce's life?
7. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
8. How does the episode of Bruce touching the girl's breast show what a simple time he lived in?
9. Why is Bruce disappointed in his mother?
10. What was the importance of the tennis club in Bruce's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Bruce's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Salt Lake City?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Bruce. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Bruce's role in his family? What is it about Bruce that men in authority want to help him achieve a brighter future?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)