|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bruce also plan to do when he visits the city in #4?
2. Why does Bruce's family have to move every few months?
3. Who does Bruce stand behind in line after work one night?
4. With whom did Jack converse while having sex in the location in #76?
5. What was a taboo subject when Bruce was a teenager?
Short Essay Questions
1. What saddens Bruce as he walks the streets of Salt Lake City?
2. Describe the situation in which Bruce touches a girl's breast for the first time.
3. What two items does the funeral director give Bruce before he leaves?
4. What is the symbolism of the cabbage that Bruce steals?
5. What does Bruce learn about the phone number given to him by the funeral director?
6. How did Nola avoid having sex with Bruce in the cabin that weekend?
7. What happened after Bruce finally made it into Nola's room?
8. What happens when the girl's boyfriend realizes that Bruce has gotten fresh with her?
9. What was the importance of the tennis club in Bruce's life?
10. How have Bruce's perceptions of Nola changed over the years?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
At the core of RECAPITULATION is the study of a father and son relationship. Define the relationship between Bruce and his father. Why was it so combative? What long-term effect did the relationship have on Bruce's life? How does Bruce come to terms with this primary relationship?
This section contains 1,556 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)