|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Bruce once meet at the location in #83?
2. What does the breeze from the mountain remind Bruce of?
3. Bruce's father places his desire to break the law above ____________________.
4. What is the last name of the woman in #62?
5. Bruce stops the car and gets out when he sees which venue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What game did the couples play when Bruce and Nola accompanied Bailey and his girlfriend to a cabin one weekend?
2. What two buildings does Bruce see that were important in his father's life?
3. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
4. How does the episode of Bruce touching the girl's breast show what a simple time he lived in?
5. Who is Nola and what is her role in Bruce's life?
6. What did Bruce do when it became apparent that Bailey was hitting on Nola?
7. What happens when the girl's boyfriend realizes that Bruce has gotten fresh with her?
8. What was the only life Bruce had ever envisioned for his future?
9. What saddens Bruce as he walks the streets of Salt Lake City?
10. Why does Bruce think more about his time with Nola than Chet when he returned for Chet's funeral?
Essay Topic 1
Stegner uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Salt Lake City using only your recall of Stegner's descriptions. How do you visualize the city of Salt Lake City now that you have read Stegner's RECAPITULATION?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mrs. Mason. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Stegner use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)