|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bruce's family have to move every few months?
2. In what type of establishment had Bruce's father killed himself?
3. To what city does Bruce travel to plan his aunt's funeral?
4. What does the funeral director give to Bruce before he leaves?
5. How does the person in #49 respond to Bruce's advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
2. How does the episode of Bruce touching the girl's breast show what a simple time he lived in?
3. Describe the situation in which Bruce touches a girl's breast for the first time.
4. What does Bruce do that creates a positive bond between him and his father and then what does his father do that ruins all those good feelings?
5. Why is Bruce disappointed in his mother?
6. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
7. What does Bruce recall about the house once he is inside?
8. What prompts Bruce to recall a time he worked as a busboy at a restaurant on a lake.
9. Why does Bruce think more about his time with Nola than Chet when he returned for Chet's funeral?
10. What happened after Bruce finally made it into Nola's room?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Stegner's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in RECAPITULATION.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mrs. Mason. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her during her lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
How does Stegner use the literary technique of local color in RECAPITULATION? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Salt Lake City establishments, in the characters, and i the events.
This section contains 1,588 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)