|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the job of the girl mentioned in #79?
2. What was a taboo subject when Bruce was a teenager?
3. What is now standing in the spot where the location in #86 had been?
4. Who taught Bruce to play tennis?
5. Who had once lived in the structure in #61?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bruce feel that he is above Nola's family members?
2. What prompts Bruce to ask Nola to marry him?
3. What conclusion does Bruce arrive at regarding Nola's need for a man?
4. What messy school project does Bruce recall and how did his father harass him?
5. What does Bruce recall about the house once he is inside?
6. Other than leaving Nola, what complicated Bruce's decision regarding going to law school?
7. What happens that shortens Bruce's stay in Salt Lake City?
8. What prompts Bruce to think of Jack Bailey and what does he recall regarding Jack being a cad with women?
9. What did Bruce do when it became apparent that Bailey was hitting on Nola?
10. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stegner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Bruce's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Salt Lake City?
This section contains 1,675 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)