|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument did the girl in #11 play?
2. What type of business had Bruce's father had which has been replaced by a tall building?
3. How many years have passed since Bruce has left his hometown?
4. What did Bruce consider the athletes in school to be?
5. Why does Bruce walk all the way home on this night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Bruce come to join the tennis club?
2. How does the author show that Joe had been an important part of Bruce's life?
3. Why does Bruce hate his father for his own sake?
4. What messy school project does Bruce recall and how did his father harass him?
5. What was the importance of the tennis club in Bruce's life?
6. Why does Bruce hate his father for his mother's sake?
7. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
8. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
9. What were Bruce's school years like?
10. What happens when the girl's boyfriend realizes that Bruce has gotten fresh with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Stegner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
How does Stegner use the literary technique of local color in RECAPITULATION? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Salt Lake City establishments, in the characters, and i the events.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)