|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bruce hate his father?
2. In what type of establishment had Bruce's father killed himself?
3. In school, Bruce was always too small and too ______________.
4. Where does Bruce have dinner his first night in Salt Lake City?
5. What does Bruce do before going upstairs at the funeral home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the humorous scenario of Bruce trying to outwit the elevator man in Nola's hotel.
2. Why does Bruce hate his father for his own sake?
3. What is the symbolism of the cabbage that Bruce steals?
4. Why does Bruce hate his father for his mother's sake?
5. What prompts Bruce to recall a time he worked as a busboy at a restaurant on a lake.
6. Who are the two friends that Bruce recalls as he reminisces about his childhood?
7. What were Bruce's school years like?
8. What does Bruce recall about the house once he is inside?
9. What does Bruce learn about the phone number given to him by the funeral director?
10. What two buildings does Bruce see that were important in his father's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Stegner's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in RECAPITULATION.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mr. Mason. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)