|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had once lived in the structure in #61?
2. What does Bruce do as the crowd grows as he waits after work one night?
3. What is now standing in the spot where the location in #86 had been?
4. Where had Bruce's mother made his father get him a summer membership?
5. What does Bruce recall that he was during school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Bruce to recall a time he worked as a busboy at a restaurant on a lake.
2. Why does Bruce hate his father for his own sake?
3. How does the elevator episode show Bruce's feelings for Nola?
4. Who are the two friends that Bruce recalls as he reminisces about his childhood?
5. Why is Bruce disappointed in his mother?
6. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
7. Who are Holly and Nola and what prompts Bruce to think of them?
8. How does the episode of Bruce touching the girl's breast show what a simple time he lived in?
9. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
10. Describe the humorous scenario of Bruce trying to outwit the elevator man in Nola's hotel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stegner uses beautifully descriptive language in the book to help his readers see his world from his perspective. Without referring to the book, describe Salt Lake City using only your recall of Stegner's descriptions. How do you visualize the city of Salt Lake City now that you have read Stegner's RECAPITULATION?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Stegner use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)