Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bruce's family have to move every few months?
2. In what type of establishment had Bruce's father killed himself?
3. To what city does Bruce travel to plan his aunt's funeral?
4. What does the funeral director give to Bruce before he leaves?
5. How does the person in #49 respond to Bruce's advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
2. How does the episode of Bruce touching the girl's breast show what a simple time he lived in?
3. Describe the situation in which Bruce touches a girl's breast for the first time.
4. What does Bruce do that creates a positive bond between him and his father and then what does his father do that ruins all those good feelings?
5. Why is Bruce disappointed in his mother?
6. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
7. What does Bruce recall about the house once he is inside?
8. What prompts Bruce to recall a time he worked as a busboy at a restaurant on a lake.
9. Why does Bruce think more about his time with Nola than Chet when he returned for Chet's funeral?
10. What happened after Bruce finally made it into Nola's room?
Essay Topic 1
Memories take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Stegner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)