Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What messy substance does Bruce gather for the project?
2. Where had Bruce's mother made his father get him a summer membership?
3. What does Bruce recall that he was during school?
4. Who taught Bruce to play tennis?
5. How many siblings does Bruce have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruce recall about Nola's virginity the first time they were intimate?
2. Why does Bruce hate his father for his own sake?
3. Why does Bruce think more about his time with Nola than Chet when he returned for Chet's funeral?
4. What conclusion does Bruce arrive at regarding Nola's need for a man?
5. What are the contents of the box saved by Aunt Margaret?
6. What were the circumstances that prompted Bruce to go to law school?
7. What was the importance of the tennis club in Bruce's life?
8. What does the author reveal about the way Chet had died?
9. How does Bruce feel that he is above Nola's family members?
10. How did Bruce come to join the tennis club?
Create a brief character study of Mr. Mason. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for Bruce's life. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization. Will he ever return to Salt Lake City?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)