|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Bruce thought he would be at the location in #86?
2. Bruce recalls that he was a/an _____________ teenager.
3. Who is Bruce's father?
4. What does Bruce's mother want him to do after he walked home from work?
5. Bruce's father places his desire to break the law above ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What messy school project does Bruce recall and how did his father harass him?
2. What is the nature of Bruce's father's work?
3. How does the episode of Bruce touching the girl's breast show what a simple time he lived in?
4. Describe the situation in which Bruce touches a girl's breast for the first time.
5. What prompts Bruce to recall a time he worked as a busboy at a restaurant on a lake.
6. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
7. How does the elevator episode show Bruce's feelings for Nola?
8. What does Bruce learn about the phone number given to him by the funeral director?
9. Who is Nola and what is her role in Bruce's life?
10. Why is Bruce disappointed in his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bruce spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)