|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Bruce Mason?
2. Where did Bruce have the job mentioned in #52?
3. Who does Bruce stand behind in line after work one night?
4. Bruce drives by a _______________ and recalls a girl he used to date who worked there.
5. How does Bruce characterize Jack Bailey's interactions with women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruce recall about spending time at the Mulders' home?
2. How have Bruce's perceptions of Nola changed over the years?
3. How did Bruce come to join the tennis club?
4. What does Bruce learn about the phone number given to him by the funeral director?
5. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
6. Why does Bruce think more about his time with Nola than Chet when he returned for Chet's funeral?
7. What game did the couples play when Bruce and Nola accompanied Bailey and his girlfriend to a cabin one weekend?
8. What messy school project does Bruce recall and how did his father harass him?
9. What saddens Bruce as he walks the streets of Salt Lake City?
10. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
Essay Topic 1
Stegner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)