|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bruce's father angry at Bruce and his mother?
2. What does Bruce steal from a neighbor's house?
3. Who was Bruce's brother?
4. Bruce identifies the accent of the person in #49 as being from __________________.
5. With whom did Jack converse while having sex in the location in #76?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bruce hate his father for his mother's sake?
2. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
3. Describe the humorous scenario of Bruce trying to outwit the elevator man in Nola's hotel.
4. What is the premise of RECAPITULATION?
5. What is the symbolism of the cabbage that Bruce steals?
6. What saddens Bruce as he walks the streets of Salt Lake City?
7. What two items does the funeral director give Bruce before he leaves?
8. Who is Nola and what is her role in Bruce's life?
9. What was the importance of the tennis club in Bruce's life?
10. What prompts Bruce to think of Jack Bailey and what does he recall regarding Jack being a cad with women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Stegner use the literary technique of local color in RECAPITULATION? What elements comprise local color? Give some examples of the local color in Salt Lake City establishments, in the characters, and i the events.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)