|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tried to prevent Bruce from entering the young woman's hotel room?
2. What does the funeral director give to Bruce before he leaves?
3. Which friend did Bruce hate when he left Salt Lake City years ago?
4. What type of childhood did Bruce have?
5. What does Bruce recall that he was during school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bruce hate his father for his mother's sake?
2. What saddens Bruce as he walks the streets of Salt Lake City?
3. How does Bruce distinguish between Young Bruce and Mature Bruce?
4. What is the symbolism of the cabbage that Bruce steals?
5. What two items does the funeral director give Bruce before he leaves?
6. What does Bruce learn about the phone number given to him by the funeral director?
7. Describe the humorous scenario of Bruce trying to outwit the elevator man in Nola's hotel.
8. What happens when the girl's boyfriend realizes that Bruce has gotten fresh with her?
9. What is the nature of Bruce's father's work?
10. Who is Nola and what is her role in Bruce's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Memories take on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Stegner's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in RECAPITULATION.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)