|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a taboo subject when Bruce was a teenager?
2. What other girl does Bruce recall from his younger days?
3. For which teacher did Bruce want to make a special display?
4. Why does Bruce's family have to move every few months?
5. Who tried to prevent Bruce from entering the young woman's hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
2. Who is Nola and what is her role in Bruce's life?
3. Why does Bruce hate his father for his mother's sake?
4. What is the premise of RECAPITULATION?
5. What saddens Bruce as he walks the streets of Salt Lake City?
6. Why is Bruce disappointed in his mother?
7. Describe the situation in which Bruce touches a girl's breast for the first time.
8. How does Bruce distinguish between Young Bruce and Mature Bruce?
9. Who are the two friends that Bruce recalls as he reminisces about his childhood?
10. What two buildings does Bruce see that were important in his father's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Stegner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mr. Mason. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)