|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which teacher did Bruce want to make a special display?
2. What is Bruce's marital status?
3. How does Bruce characterize Jack Bailey's interactions with women?
4. Bruce thinks of himself as two different people--Young Bruce and _______________.
5. What other girl does Bruce recall from his younger days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bruce hate his father for his mother's sake?
2. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
3. Who is Nola and what is her role in Bruce's life?
4. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
5. What is the nature of Bruce's father's work?
6. Describe the situation in which Bruce touches a girl's breast for the first time.
7. What is the symbolism of the cabbage that Bruce steals?
8. What two items does the funeral director give Bruce before he leaves?
9. What prompts Bruce to recall a time he worked as a busboy at a restaurant on a lake.
10. What saddens Bruce as he walks the streets of Salt Lake City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
At the core of RECAPITULATION is the study of a father and son relationship. Define the relationship between Bruce and his father. Why was it so combative? What long-term effect did the relationship have on Bruce's life? How does Bruce come to terms with this primary relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Stegner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)