|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to the person in #19, who else would Bruce like to see on this trip?
2. Why is Bruce's father angry at Bruce and his mother?
3. Who taught Bruce to play tennis?
4. What does Bruce's aunt's death mean to him?
5. What type of business had Bruce's father had which has been replaced by a tall building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruce find amusing about the building the funeral home is housed in?
2. Who are Holly and Nola and what prompts Bruce to think of them?
3. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
4. What happened after Bruce finally made it into Nola's room?
5. Who is Nola and what is her role in Bruce's life?
6. What does Bruce learn about the phone number given to him by the funeral director?
7. What is the nature of Bruce's father's work?
8. Why is Bruce disappointed in his mother?
9. What messy school project does Bruce recall and how did his father harass him?
10. How does the elevator episode show Bruce's feelings for Nola?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Stegner's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in RECAPITULATION.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)