|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of childhood did Bruce have?
2. Why does Bruce's family have to move every few months?
3. What type of business does Bruce's father run out of their home?
4. Where does Bruce have dinner his first night in Salt Lake City?
5. What type of store did Jack Bailey once work in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Bruce to think of Jack Bailey and what does he recall regarding Jack being a cad with women?
2. How does the author show that Joe had been an important part of Bruce's life?
3. How did Bruce come to join the tennis club?
4. What happens when the girl's boyfriend realizes that Bruce has gotten fresh with her?
5. What two items does the funeral director give Bruce before he leaves?
6. Who is Nola and what is her role in Bruce's life?
7. What is the premise of RECAPITULATION?
8. What does Bruce learn about the phone number given to him by the funeral director?
9. What messy school project does Bruce recall and how did his father harass him?
10. What is the nature of Bruce's father's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bruce. Begin with his physical characteristics and extend into his personality and behavioral traits. What is Bruce's role in his family? What is it about Bruce that men in authority want to help him achieve a brighter future?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
The author begins the story in the present day and tells the story through a series of flashbacks. Why did he choose to tell his story this way? In what way is a flashback technique more interesting for a reader? In what ways is it more complicated?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)