|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bruce's father?
2. What does Bruce find amusing about the location in #6?
3. To what city does Bruce travel to plan his aunt's funeral?
4. Where had Bruce's mother made his father get him a summer membership?
5. What does Bruce do before going upstairs at the funeral home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
2. What was the importance of the tennis club in Bruce's life?
3. What saddens Bruce as he walks the streets of Salt Lake City?
4. What is the symbolism of the cabbage that Bruce steals?
5. What happened after Bruce finally made it into Nola's room?
6. What does Bruce recall about the house once he is inside?
7. Why does Bruce hate his father for his mother's sake?
8. Why does Bruce hate his father for his own sake?
9. What two buildings does Bruce see that were important in his father's life?
10. What prompts Bruce to recall a time he worked as a busboy at a restaurant on a lake.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Joe Mulder. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Stegner is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Stegner's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)