|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bruce identifies the accent of the person in #49 as being from __________________.
2. In what type of establishment had Bruce's father killed himself?
3. What is Bruce's father's nickname?
4. Who had once lived in the structure in #61?
5. To what city does Bruce travel to plan his aunt's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Bruce to think of Jack Bailey and what does he recall regarding Jack being a cad with women?
2. What two items does the funeral director give Bruce before he leaves?
3. What is the premise of RECAPITULATION?
4. How did Bruce come to join the tennis club?
5. What does Bruce think about as he eats dinner in the hotel?
6. What is the nature of Bruce's father's work?
7. Who is Nola and what is her role in Bruce's life?
8. What two buildings does Bruce see that were important in his father's life?
9. What was the importance of the tennis club in Bruce's life?
10. How does Bruce distinguish between Young Bruce and Mature Bruce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting at the beginning of the novel. Does the author paint a complete picture for the reader? What, if anything, is missing?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the passage of time will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the passage of time throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of regret. Identify at least two examples about regret in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of regret.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)