|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bruce tell Nola to try to lift her spirits?
(a) She could go back to school with him.
(b) They could get married tonight.
(c) They would have time together over the summer.
(d) They could run away tonight.
2. What is the subject of the pictures that Bruce sees in the box?
(a) Nola's sister's wedding.
(b) The homecoming game.
(c) Holly's wedding.
(d) High school graduation.
3. Why was Bruce reluctant to leave his mother at home while he went to the prom?
(a) She was recovering from breast cancer surgery.
(b) She had a sick migraine.
(c) She never got to go anywhere nice.
(d) His father had beaten her again.
4. What would be Bruce's biggest reason for leaving Salt Lake City?
(a) His family legacy.
(b) Religious restrictions.
(c) No cultural life.
(d) A down economy.
5. What does Bruce suspect is the reason Nola did not want to make love at the cabin?
(a) She wanted a nicer environment than the cabin.
(b) She was attracted to Bailey.
(c) She didn't want him to think she was easy.
(d) She wanted to wait for a special time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What garment is inside the box?
2. How was Nola during Bruce's home visit in January?
3. What card game did the couples play at the cabin in the woods?
4. With whom did Nola eventually run away?
5. Bruce realizes the box was not packed by Aunt Margaret but had been returned to him from _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What could account for Bruce's high opinion of himself as a young man?
2. How does Bruce violate his instincts about bringing any friends into their home?
3. What was the only life Bruce had ever envisioned for his future?
4. How does Bruce feel that he is above Nola's family members?
5. What does Bruce recall about Nola's virginity the first time they were intimate?
6. How did Nola avoid having sex with Bruce in the cabin that weekend?
7. How does the author show Bruce's affections for his mother regarding his going to the prom?
8. What does Bruce recall about his brother, Chet's, life?
9. What does the author reveal about the way Chet had died?
10. How did Bruce separate himself from his own family in favor of the Mulders?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)