|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Chet's annulled marriage renewed?
(a) Her parents insisted on it.
(b) His wife was pregnant.
(c) He went against his parents' wishes.
(d) They couldn't live without each other.
2. At what university is Bruce offered a fellowship?
(a) Ohio State University.
(b) University of Michigan.
(c) Duke University.
(d) University of Minnesota.
3. Why is Bruce intrigued by the box given to him by the funeral director?
(a) It is an odd shape.
(b) It has old photos taped to the outside.
(c) Aunt Margaret had kept it fo.r many years.
(d) It is very heavy.
4. What is Bruce doing as Part 3, Chapter 6 begins?
5. What would be Bruce's biggest reason for leaving Salt Lake City?
(a) Religious restrictions.
(b) His family legacy.
(c) A down economy.
(d) No cultural life.
6. Why did Bailey conspire to make Nola lose at the card game?
(a) He wanted to show her who was boss.
(b) He wanted to see her naked.
(c) He wanted to humiliate her.
(d) He wanted to teach her a lesson.
7. Where had Bruce spent his career as a diplomat?
(a) The Middle East.
(b) South America.
8. What complicates Bruce's post-college decision?
(a) Mrs. Mason is terminally ill.
(b) Nola is pregnant.
(c) Mr. Mason is killed in a car accident.
(d) Mr. Mulder offers shares in the business.
9. What restricted the intimate moments between Bruce and Nola?
(a) She had a schizophrenic personality.
(b) Bruce's father.
(c) Not much alone time.
(d) Nola's mother.
10. Who was Bill Binnion?
(a) Bruce's football coach.
(b) Bruce's English professor.
(c) Bruce's godfather.
(d) Bruce's first boss.
11. In what field would Bruce be continuing his education?
12. What was the reason Nola ran off with the person in #158?
(a) To make him her singing partner.
(b) To enter a dance contest.
(c) To get married.
(d) To travel before settling down.
13. What did Bruce and Nola hear on the the night they were at the cabin?
(a) Listened to the loons on the lake.
(b) Listened to the crickets.
(c) Listened to Bailey and his girlfriend make love.
(d) Listened to the radio.
14. Why had Nola's ex-boyfriend come to visit her?
(a) To ask her to marry him.
(b) To say goodbye before going to New York.
(c) To see if she could love him again.
(d) To return some of her things.
15. What does Bruce recall about the Mulder family?
(a) They were itinerant.
(b) They were very poor.
(c) They were good and respectable.
(d) They were strict Catholics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had written the letter Bruce picks out of the box?
2. What had been the only true aspiration Bruce had for himself?
3. The author uses the literary technique of ______________ to show Nola's future relationship with Bailey.
4. Bruce recalls that Bailey ____________________ Nola.
5. Nola's family could be called ___________.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)