|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bruce wonder as he stands in front of the house?
(a) If anyone is still awake.
(b) He would like to buy the house.
(c) It's amazing the house is still there.
(d) The house is well maintained.
2. Why had Nola's brother taken Bruce behind the barn?
(a) To get some peace.
(b) To shoot rifles.
(c) To smoke dope.
(d) To drink whiskey.
3. Who had written the letter Bruce picks out of the box?
(a) Mrs. Mason.
4. Why had Nola's ex-boyfriend come to visit her?
(a) To ask her to marry him.
(b) To say goodbye before going to New York.
(c) To return some of her things.
(d) To see if she could love him again.
5. What religion did Nola's family practice?
6. At what university is Bruce offered a fellowship?
(a) University of Michigan.
(b) University of Minnesota.
(c) Duke University.
(d) Ohio State University.
7. Bruce realizes the box was not packed by Aunt Margaret but had been returned to him from _______________.
8. With whom did Nola eventually run away?
9. What does Bruce recall about the Mulder family?
(a) They were good and respectable.
(b) They were very poor.
(c) They were itinerant.
(d) They were strict Catholics.
10. Bruce recalls that Bailey ____________________ Nola.
(a) could take or leave.
(b) had no romantic interest in.
(c) never noticed.
(d) was deeply attracted to.
11. What kind of girl does Bruce think Nola was?
(a) A one-man woman.
(b) A virgin.
(c) A girl who needed a man around all the time.
(d) A recluse.
12. Where had Bruce and Joe both worked during school?
(a) The Mulder Nursery.
(c) The hospital.
(d) Olive Garden.
13. Why had Nola's sister married her new husband?
(a) She wanted to marry into money.
(b) To help her care for the children of her first marriage.
(c) She fell instantly in love with him.
(d) She is a woman who can't be without a man.
14. What was Joe's father's name?
15. What complicates Bruce's post-college decision?
(a) Mrs. Mason is terminally ill.
(b) Mr. Mason is killed in a car accident.
(c) Nola is pregnant.
(d) Mr. Mulder offers shares in the business.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nola not lose at the card game?
2. Whose home does Bruce walk to in Part 2, Chapter 1?
3. What would be Bruce's biggest reason for leaving Salt Lake City?
4. Why do Bruce and Nola not make love during the weekend at the cabin?
5. What did Bruce tell Nola to try to lift her spirits?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)