|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the festival organizers decide to do after EL MARIACHI becomes so popular?
2. What do Rodriguez, Gallardo, and Peter see at the festival for the first time?
3. What are the Columbia people considering after the reception of EL MARIACHI at the film festival?
4. What does the movie poster prove to Rodriguez, Peter, and Gallardo?
5. What special treatment does Rodriguez receive in Hollywood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rodriguez attend the Grammy Awards party and what kind of reception does he get?
2. Describe the occasion for a new friendship for Rodriguez in Toronto.
3. Relate the amusing reaction to Rodriguez' question about his per diem.
4. How do things turn around for Rodriguez as he is offered a contract at ICM?
5. Briefly describe the relationship between Rodriguez and his family.
6. How does Rodriguez's sense of humor come through as he is being contacted by Hollywood studios?
7. Give an example of how Rodriguez thinks about other people than himself.
8. How does Rodriguez' insecurity show up during the bidding war for his movie and his services?
9. What kind of celebrity treatment does Rodriguez receive when he goes on tour?
10. What annoys Rodriguez about the sound editing on his film?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about fame. In your essay use Rodriguez as an example of one who did not allow his sudden celebrity and income go to his head. Contrast him with young stars who get into all kinds of trouble when they suddenly have huge amounts of money. Include Rodriquez' willingness to share his experience in order to inspire other budding filmmakers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay giving your opinion about the relative merits of seeing a movie in a theater or a video at home. Give examples of movies that are too grand to really be appreciated on a small screen. State the advantage of being able to stop a scene and go back to view it again if you watch the movie on video.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about intellectual property rights. In your essay discuss how people who pirate other people's work are involved in criminal activity. Explain how a person who has worked on a creative project deserves to get the rewards from that project. Explain why pirating other people's work is the same as stealing money from a bank.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)