|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a critic say about EL MARIACHI?
2. What surprises Rodriguez as he negotiates to do a remake of El Mariachi?
3. What does Rodriguez decide he wants, even if he works for Hollywood?
4. What does ICM want to do with Rodriguez' diary?
5. From whom does Rodriguez learn about professional jealousy in the world of filmmaking?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Rodriguez respond to skeptics?
2. Has Rodriguez' life changed since Hollywood became interested in him?
3. Relate the amusing reaction to Rodriguez' question about his per diem.
4. Give an example of how Rodriguez thinks about other people than himself.
5. Describe the change in Rodriguez as his film gets audience approval at Telluride.
6. How does Rodriguez express his philosophy of movie making?
7. What state of mind does the Toronto Film Festival create in Rodriguez?
8. How does Rodriguez' insecurity show up during the bidding war for his movie and his services?
9. What kind of celebrity treatment does Rodriguez receive when he goes on tour?
10. What happens around the test screening of EL MARIACHI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about borrowing money. In your essay use Rodriguez as an example. Explain the advantage he had from doing everything with whatever money he had or could earn to make his movie. Discuss in your essay the value of being creative to reach a goal.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about intellectual property rights. In your essay discuss how people who pirate other people's work are involved in criminal activity. Explain how a person who has worked on a creative project deserves to get the rewards from that project. Explain why pirating other people's work is the same as stealing money from a bank.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about fame. In your essay give your opinion about how fame or notoriety are life changing. Deal with how to handle fame and give examples of people who have done it well and some who have not been able to do so.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)