|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Robert Newman?
2. Because of working with limited equipment and on a tight budget, what skill does Rodriguez develop?
3. What is Javier's offer for the rights to EL MARIACHI?
4. Which company was the only one that seemed to make a reasonable offer for EL MARIACHI?
5. How much do Rodriguez and Gallardo estimate it will take to make their movie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate Rodriguez' encounter with the media when his trailer is aired on public television.
2. What does Robert Rodriguez say helped him improve his academic record by his junior year in high school?
3. Describe briefly how improvising becomes a big part of preparing for shooting the movie.
4. How does Rodriguez manage to shoot chase scenes and gun scenes in the movie?
5. At what age did Rodriguez get interested in making movies and how did it begin?
6. Tell something about Rodriguez' borrowed camera.
7. Where do Rodriguez and Gallardo first try to sell the movie?
8. Describe the first thing Rodriguez does in post production.
9. What kind of publicity does Rodriguez receive while shooting the movie?
10. Describe the premise of the story for EL MARIACHI.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of REBEL WITHOUT A CREW. Mention what you think of the diary form of the book. Tell how you like or do not like the chronology of the book. Discuss the film making terminology as to whether it is helpful in understanding the process of making a movie. State your opinion whether Rodriguez is successful in achieving his stated goal for writing the book.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about fame. In your essay use Rodriguez as an example of one who did not allow his sudden celebrity and income go to his head. Contrast him with young stars who get into all kinds of trouble when they suddenly have huge amounts of money. Include Rodriquez' willingness to share his experience in order to inspire other budding filmmakers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on dealing with disappointment. Referring to Rodriguez in Chapter 6 as an example, write your essay on how there are many disappointments in life. Discuss how disappointment causes some people to give up but others to look for solutions.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)