|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Rodriguez' first short films get shown?
2. How does Rodriguez get his earliest exposure to films?
3. Why does Rodriguez return to see Gallardo in Mexico?
4. How much do Rodriguez and Gallardo estimate it will take to make their movie?
5. What is the advantage to Rodriguez after being admitted into the University of Texas film school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rodriguez begin trying to market his film?
2. Discuss Rodriguez' period of depression during post production.
3. How does EL MARIACHI do in the foreign markets?
4. How is the story of REBEL WITHOUT A CREW written?
5. How does a movie producer try to rain on Rodriguez' parade?
6. What does Rodriguez write about getting into the Pharmaco study?
7. What are some of Carlos Gallardo's contributions to the making of the movie aside from starring as El Mariachi.
8. How does Rodriguez express his philosophy of movie making?
9. How is Rodriguez suddenly being courted by Hollywood and what does he learn about the value of his movie?
10. Describe the change in Rodriguez as his film gets audience approval at Telluride.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about fame. In your essay use Rodriguez as an example of one who did not allow his sudden celebrity and income go to his head. Contrast him with young stars who get into all kinds of trouble when they suddenly have huge amounts of money. Include Rodriquez' willingness to share his experience in order to inspire other budding filmmakers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about perseverance. In your essay discuss how disappointments should never cause one to abandon a dream. Use the way Rodriguez and Gallardo went about finding a distributor for their film and apply the principle to any worthwhile endeavor.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about intellectual property rights. In your essay discuss how people who pirate other people's work are involved in criminal activity. Explain how a person who has worked on a creative project deserves to get the rewards from that project. Explain why pirating other people's work is the same as stealing money from a bank.
This section contains 1,736 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)