|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Rodriguez as he negotiates to do a remake of El Mariachi?
(a) They want to shoot it in 3-D.
(b) They want to destroy the $7,000 original.
(c) They want to release the original too.
(d) They want unknowns to play the lead roles.
2. Making his speech, why does Rodriguez try to be as precise and technical as possible?
(a) so his knees will stop shaking
(b) so the speech will be as short as possible
(c) so people understand how he made the movie
(d) so people will be impressed with his knowledge
3. What is said to determine the fate of El Mariachi?
(a) El Mariachi will be screened by a selected audience.
(b) Public reaction at a private screening will decide.
(c) The movie moguls will flip coins for the rights.
(d) Rodriguez must hurry and make a deal.
4. From whom does Rodriguez learn about professional jealousy in the world of filmmaking?
(a) from the professor at the university
(b) from Antonio Banderas
(c) from a former colleague
(d) from Gallardo
5. What news about Rodriguez spreads fast around Hollywood?
(a) what a pest he makes of himself
(b) his unusual filmmaking and his talent
(c) how unmarketable his film is
(d) how grainy his film is
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rodriguez eager to make?
2. What does Rodriguez ask about his per diem in Hollywood?
3. After Telluride, where does Rodriguez take his film next?
4. What fear of Rodriquez' returns before the screening of his film?
5. Even though enormous sums of money are being dangled in front of him, what is Rodriguez' actual financial condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rodriguez learn about Hollywood that affects him personally while the negotiations continue?
2. How does Rodriguez's sense of humor come through as he is being contacted by Hollywood studios?
3. What annoys Rodriguez about the sound editing on his film?
4. How is Rodriguez suddenly being courted by Hollywood and what does he learn about the value of his movie?
5. How does Rodriguez express his philosophy of movie making?
6. Why does Rodriguez attend the Grammy Awards party and what kind of reception does he get?
7. Describe the occasion for a new friendship for Rodriguez in Toronto.
8. Has Rodriguez' life changed since Hollywood became interested in him?
9. Give an example of how Rodriguez thinks about other people than himself.
10. Give an example of Rodriguez's frugality before the Telluride and Toronto Film Festivals.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)