|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some skeptics accuse Rodriguez of?
(a) seeking personal glory
(b) lying about the cost of the movie
(c) getting the big head
2. What nearly brings Rodriguez to a breakdown?
(a) His lawyer tells him not to cash his first $13,000 paycheck.
(b) He is sued by Mex-American for breech of contract.
(c) His remake will be directed by someone else.
(d) Columbia nearly withdraws its offers.
3. Why does the Grammy Awards show EL MARIACHI at its party?
(a) because they want to draw in Spanish speakers
(b) because they can get it cheap
(c) because it is about a musician
(d) because the music is original
4. Why does Rodriguez not like to work with professional editors?
(a) He thinks that are not creative.
(b) He feels that they do not really love the film
(c) He feels that they are too expensive.
(d) He feels that they take too long.
5. What does the president of Miramax want to do?
(a) to hire him to write scripts
(b) to purchase and release the original El Mariachi
(c) to buy his next film
(d) to shoot a full length film of Bedhead
6. Why is Rodriguez desperate for Columbia to pay him soon?
(a) He is reluctant to take out a loan.
(b) He thinks it is all a dream.
(c) He owes money for his school loans.
(d) He won't believe it until the check is in his hand.
7. Why does Rodriguez want to explain his process to the world?
(a) to bring down the Hollywood moguls
(b) to teach a moral lesson
(c) to let people know what a genius he is
(d) to let people know anyone can make a movie
8. What is Rodriguez eager to make?
(a) as much money as possible
(b) new friends in the movie industry
(c) low budget film where he does everything
(d) the kind of movies he could make with a real budget
9. What good luck finally comes to Rodriguez?
(a) getting a free ticket to New York
(b) making another award winning short film
(c) getting a star for his next movie
(d) landing an agent and a Hollywood contract for El Mariachi
10. What excites Rodriguez on July 8th, two weeks after his 24th birthday?
(a) at last receiving his final Columbia contract
(b) meeting Antonio Banderas
(c) starting pre-production on a new film
(d) finishing the edit on El Mariachi
11. What are the Columbia people considering after the reception of EL MARIACHI at the film festival?
(a) giving Rodriguez a larger office
(b) releasing the movie nationally
(c) having Rodriguez direct a new movie
(d) scrapping the whole project
12. Who does Rodriguez run into again in Toronto?
(a) Quentin Tarantino
(b) Stephen Speilberg
(c) Jay Leno
(d) George Lucas
13. Making his speech, why does Rodriguez try to be as precise and technical as possible?
(a) so people understand how he made the movie
(b) so the speech will be as short as possible
(c) so his knees will stop shaking
(d) so people will be impressed with his knowledge
14. What does Rodriguez like to tell interviewers?
(a) to brag about coming out of poverty
(b) to explain in technical terms how he could make the movie
(c) to keep his secrets of economical film making to himself
(d) to talk about other people's movies
15. What news about Rodriguez spreads fast around Hollywood?
(a) his unusual filmmaking and his talent
(b) how grainy his film is
(c) what a pest he makes of himself
(d) how unmarketable his film is
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Rodriguez, Gallardo, and Peter see at the festival for the first time?
2. What does Rodriguez classify as the main reason for professional incompetence in making movies?
3. What actor does Rodriguez meet who wants to be in his next film?
4. What does Rodriguez have in addition to his large office at Columbia?
5. Who goes with Rodriguez to Toronto?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)