|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the latest problem with EL MARIACHI?
(a) a distributor changes the scheduel
(b) the movie needs color correcting
(c) some dialog is garbled
(d) the sound track is off
2. How does EL MARIACHI do at the Sundance Festival?
(a) It is cancelled
(b) very well
(c) so so
(d) It bombs
3. What is said to determine the fate of El Mariachi?
(a) The movie moguls will flip coins for the rights.
(b) Public reaction at a private screening will decide.
(c) El Mariachi will be screened by a selected audience.
(d) Rodriguez must hurry and make a deal.
4. Where does Newman want to send El Mariachi?
(a) to the Cannes Festival
(b) to the Argentine film festival
(c) to Antonio Banderas
(d) to Spain
5. What does a critic say about EL MARIACHI?
(a) He gets bored at festival screenings.
(b) He has heard it is amateurish.
(c) He would rather be in Hawaii.
(d) He cannot wait to see it.
6. What does Rodriguez tell NPR?
(a) He makes movies for the money and fame.
(b) He likes the technical part of movie making the best.
(c) He always knew he would make it to Hollywood.
(d) He thought he would make it to Hollywood.
7. What will happen at a test screening of EL MARIACHI?
(a) The audience will answer questions about the movie.
(b) The audience response will be measured by applause.
(c) Statistics will be gathered about how many fall asleep.
(d) Ticket prices will be lowered.
8. After returning to Texas, which two Hollywood companies contact Rodriguez and want to fly him back to LA?
(a) Warner Bros. and Paramount
(b) Sean Penn and Bruce Willis
(c) Disney and Columbia
(d) Tri-Star and First Artists
9. What is Rodriguez' last entry in his diary?
(a) These are the kind of days you start a diary for in the first place
(b) This is the end of the EL MARIACHI story.
(c) Tomorrow is another day.
(d) Who would have believed all that has happened?
10. What are the agents at ICM able to do?
(a) get the best bid for El Mariachi from Europe
(b) get Rodriguez the best visitor packages in Hollywood
(c) overcome Columbia's refusal to view the movie
(d) sell what is technically a foreign movie to a major American film company
11. What does Rodriguez' life seem like after making it in Hollywood?
(a) like a fairy tale
(b) like a whirlwind
(c) like a disaster
(d) like a nightmare
12. Where does Rodriguez meet Gary Oldman and Francis Ford Coppola?
(a) at a movie premiere
(b) at the Golden Globe Awards
(c) shopping on Rodeo Drive
(d) in the Columbia commissary
13. Where does Rodriguez realize he was just one year ago on his 23rd birthday?
(a) working two jobs to get money
(b) locked up at Pharmaco
(c) begging for a used camera
(d) in school at UT-Austin
14. What does Columbia do when Rodriguez turns down a $100,000 offer?
(a) backs out on the deal
(b) raises the offer to $150,000.
(c) calls his agents
(d) lowers its final offer
15. For what event is Rodriguez driving himself to finish editing El Mariachi?
(a) the Telluride Festival
(b) the official premier
(c) the Guinness Book of Records
(d) the general release of the film
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rodriguez do the subtitling himself?
2. Besides the screening of his film, what bothers Rodriguez at the film festival?
3. What nearly brings Rodriguez to a breakdown?
4. Why does Rodriguez want to explain his process to the world?
5. Where is Rodriguez invited to show his movie?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)