|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of working with limited equipment and on a tight budget, what skill does Rodriguez develop?
(a) steady handheld camera skills
(b) location negotiation skills
(c) improvizational filming skills
(d) previsualization skills
2. How does Rodriguez plan to finish the project early?
(a) by working day and night
(b) by cutting out part of the script
(c) by filming in fast motion
(d) by shooting several scenes each day
3. What do Rodriguez and Gallardo do to scope out the competition?
(a) got to movie sets in Mexico
(b) conduct a survey of movie goers
(c) rent Spanish action videos
(d) read books about Spanish film making
4. What does he learn how to do because of needing to do only one take of a scene?
(a) to shoot as little raw footage as possible
(b) to work only in the early morning
(c) to write with one camera angle in mind
(d) to plan only short scenes for the film
5. What comes with the next prize Bedhead wins in a film competition?
(a) $700 that he will use in El Mariachi
(b) a school scholarship
(c) a new 16mm movie camera
(d) an offer to go to Hollywood
6. What is Javier's offer for the rights to EL MARIACHI?
(a) $1,000 plus a percentage of the gorss
7. How does Rodriguez refer to his operation while making El Mariachi?
(a) la luna productions
(b) el estupido productions
(c) el cheapo productions
(d) los locos productions
8. What bores Rodriguez the most during the study?
(a) the inane conversation of other lab rats
(b) the slow pace of life at Pharmaco
(c) the reruns of old TV movies
(d) the tasteless food they have to eat
9. What is Rodriguez given in order to edit his film?
(a) access to modern editing equipment at the university
(b) a grant for having his movie edited
(c) good advice from his university professor
(d) access to old equipment at the cable station
10. What advice does Rodriguez recall as he starts work on his movie?
(a) being creative is all you need to succeed
(b) it takes at least $30,000 to make a movie
(c) being creative and technical is better
(d) always hire someone to do the technical jobs
11. What are three important locations Rodriguez and Gallardo look for in Mexico?
(a) a bar, a jail, and a bedroom
(b) a jail, a ranch, and a bank
(c) a market, a hotel, and a slum
(d) a courtroom, a bar, and a theater
12. Why does Rodriguez overlook small mistakes he notices while shooting El Mariachi?
(a) He doesn't have money to correct them.
(b) It is something that he can edit out.
(c) It is supposed to be a practice movie.
(d) He thinks no one will notice.
13. What is on Rodriguez' demo tape?
(a) reviews from major critics
(b) BEDHEAD and the trailer of EL MARIACHI
(c) views of all the film show awards Rodriguez has won
(d) the rough cut version of EL MARIACHI
14. What are the weapons used in the film?
(a) guns rented from a pawnshop
(b) plastic toy store guns
(c) army surplus guns
(d) real guns borrowed from the police
15. What does Rodriguez think is the most important thing for attracting a distributor?
(a) a big neame star
(b) an attractive trailer
(c) a higher percentage of the gross profits
(d) a chance to meet the stars
Short Answer Questions
1. What short Rodriguez film wins the University of Missouri Fine Arts Competition?
2. What comes of the efforts to get Lina Santos, a Mexican movie and TV star, to act in El Mariachi?
3. Why does Rodriguez have to work faster at the cable station?
4. What offer does a Spanish action movie production company make to Rodriguez and Gallardo?
5. What does the budget for transferring the film to video come in at?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)