|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first scene Rodriguez completes as he writes his screenplay?
(a) The Mariachi tries to find work at a cafe but is turned down.
(b) Azul gets a job singing at a Mexican cafe.
(c) The Mariachi sings to a beautiful woman.
(d) A police chase ends in a fiery crash.
2. What makes it necessary to improvise?
(a) the lack of experience
(b) the lack of funds
(c) the lack of time
(d) the lack of actors
3. What does Rodriguez decide to do before doing a full edit of the film?
(a) ask advice from Quentin Tarantino
(b) take a class on movie editing
(c) take it to his university professor
(d) make a rough edit at home
4. What short Rodriguez film wins the University of Missouri Fine Arts Competition?
(a) The Mariachi
(c) The Last Carnival
5. Why does Rodriguez suddenly think he can make a good profit with EL MARIACHI?
(a) Private showings have gotten rave reviews.
(b) Compared to other films, his had better quality.
(c) The trailer has received great reviews.
(d) Several companies express an interest in the film.
6. What does the budget for transferring the film to video come in at?
(a) half of the original budget
(b) $500 less than the original budget
(c) only $100
(d) twice what Rodriguez had estimated
7. What does a professor at the film school think of Rodriguez' idea of making a film so cheaply?
(a) that it can be done cheaper than that
(b) that it has possibilities
(c) that they have planned well
(d) that it will fail
8. What are Gallardo's contributions to making El Mariachi?
(a) securing permission, using his relations, and finding actors
(b) editing the script and doing the titles
(c) carrying equipment and setting up lights
(d) composing the music and doing the sound effects
9. How does Rodriguez plan to make single shot weapons appear to be semi-automatic?
(a) through digital manipuation
(b) though a soft filter lens
(c) through careful editing
(d) through prop enhancement
10. Because of working with limited equipment and on a tight budget, what skill does Rodriguez develop?
(a) steady handheld camera skills
(b) previsualization skills
(c) location negotiation skills
(d) improvizational filming skills
11. Why does the boring work of editing the film begin to get Rodriguez down?
(a) He only likes to work on things he enjoys.
(b) He fears he is not up to the task.
(c) He needs help but has no money left.
(d) He sees too many defects in the film.
12. Why is Rodriguez exhausted before going to Pharmaco?
(a) working hard on his short films and working two jobs
(b) staying up late every night editing
(c) trying to keep his grades up at the University of Texas
(d) traveling back and forth to Mexico
13. What is Rodriguez able to do when he has access to two VCRs?
(a) make two movies at one time
(b) add titles to his films
(c) shoot from multiple camera angles
(d) edit his films
14. When is Rodriguez informed that the owner of the borrowed camera will need it back?
(a) in four days
(b) the next day
(c) that same day
(d) in two weeks
15. What program does Rodriguez apply for at Pharmaco?
(a) a weekend study
(b) a $7,000 study
(c) an outpatient study
(d) a $3,000 study
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez plan to do about using a camera he is not familiar with?
2. Who helps with shooting the chase scene?
3. What does Rodriguez participate in to raise money?
4. How does Rodriguez refer to his operation while making El Mariachi?
5. Why does Rodriguez turn down volunteer help on making his movie?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)