|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Robert Rodriguez' classic film made on a budget of $7000?
(a) El Mariachi
(b) Los Hooligans
(d) El Lobo
2. What is Rodriguez given in order to edit his film?
(a) a grant for having his movie edited
(b) good advice from his university professor
(c) access to modern editing equipment at the university
(d) access to old equipment at the cable station
3. What does Rodriguez plan to do about using a camera he is not familiar with?
(a) read the owner's manual
(b) take a crash course
(c) improvise and learn the hard way
(d) hire a good cameraman
4. Because of working with limited equipment and on a tight budget, what skill does Rodriguez develop?
(a) improvizational filming skills
(b) previsualization skills
(c) steady handheld camera skills
(d) location negotiation skills
5. How is the story of the book told?
(a) first person diary form
(b) third person interview form
(c) first person dream sequences
(d) third person chronological form
6. Why does Rodriguez have to work faster at the cable station?
(a) It is about to be closed.
(b) It is going public.
(c) It is being sold to new owners.
(d) It is moving to another city.
7. What is the significance of June 20th for Rodriguez?
(a) the day he wins another film contest
(b) his 23rd birthday
(c) his first day of shooting The Mariachi
(d) the day he leaves the Pharmaco study
8. What does a professor at the film school think of Rodriguez' idea of making a film so cheaply?
(a) that they have planned well
(b) that it will fail
(c) that it can be done cheaper than that
(d) that it has possibilities
9. How does Rodriguez refer to his operation while making El Mariachi?
(a) la luna productions
(b) el estupido productions
(c) los locos productions
(d) el cheapo productions
10. Short on money, how to Rodriguez and Gallardo arrange their trip to Los Angeles?
(a) hopping a freight car to LA and sleeping in a park
(b) driving to Los Angeles and staying at a friend's place
(c) hitchhiking to Los Angeles
(d) taking the bus to Los Angeles and staying at the YMCA
11. Which scenes of El Mariachi are shot first?
(a) those with Reinol Martinez, the man who plays Azul
(b) the swimming pool scenes
(c) the gunfight scenes in the jail
(d) the musical scenes
12. What interests the professor in Rodriquez' work?
(a) that his work shows signs of genius
(b) that he has never won a short film award
(c) that his short films are creative but rough
(d) that his award-winning short films were done by him alone
13. Why does Rodriguez have to go personally to ICM?
(a) he has to transalte the Spanish language
(b) the demo he left does not work properly
(c) he has to deliver some headshots
(d) they need him to pick up his demo
14. How does Rodriguez get his earliest exposure to films?
(a) the inspiration of an English teacher
(b) his mother's love of the movies
(c) his father's job in a movie theater
(d) his hours watching old movies on TV
15. How does Rodriguez sum up his pre-production activity for El Mariachi?
(a) as the hardest part
(b) as education
(c) as improvisation
(d) as simplification
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez decide to label his film in the credits?
2. What daring thing does Rodriguez do in Hollywood?
3. What is the advantage to Rodriguez after being admitted into the University of Texas film school?
4. What is Rodriguez able to do when he has access to two VCRs?
5. What do Rodriguez and his roommate bring to read during the Pharmaco study?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)