|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez refer to Gallardo to the media who want to interview him?
(a) as the one who has all the ideas
(b) as the one who is financing the movie
(c) as the one who does all the talking
(d) as the one who wants to be famous
2. Heading back to Texas after failing to sign a contract, what does Rodriguez tell himself?
(a) It will come through and he will do everything by mail.
(b) Something good will come from his failure.
(c) He can raise more money and go back again.
(d) A contract will come from New York.
3. What does Rodriguez plan to do about using a camera he is not familiar with?
(a) take a crash course
(b) improvise and learn the hard way
(c) hire a good cameraman
(d) read the owner's manual
4. Why does Rodriguez overlook small mistakes he notices while shooting El Mariachi?
(a) He thinks no one will notice.
(b) He doesn't have money to correct them.
(c) It is something that he can edit out.
(d) It is supposed to be a practice movie.
5. What does he learn how to do because of needing to do only one take of a scene?
(a) to work only in the early morning
(b) to write with one camera angle in mind
(c) to plan only short scenes for the film
(d) to shoot as little raw footage as possible
6. What does Rodriguez enjoy doing during the Pharmaco study?
(a) watching the other lab rats
(b) watching reruns on TV
(c) playing his guitar
(d) talking to the nurses
7. What is the first scene Rodriguez completes as he writes his screenplay?
(a) A police chase ends in a fiery crash.
(b) The Mariachi sings to a beautiful woman.
(c) Azul gets a job singing at a Mexican cafe.
(d) The Mariachi tries to find work at a cafe but is turned down.
8. Who is Peter Marquardt?
(a) an agent who wants to sign Rodriguez
(b) a doctor at the Pharmaco study
(c) Rodriguez' roommate at the Pharmaco study.
(d) Rodriguez's film school professor
9. What does Rodriguez think is the most important thing for attracting a distributor?
(a) a chance to meet the stars
(b) a higher percentage of the gross profits
(c) a big neame star
(d) an attractive trailer
10. What do Rodriguez and Gallardo do to scope out the competition?
(a) conduct a survey of movie goers
(b) got to movie sets in Mexico
(c) rent Spanish action videos
(d) read books about Spanish film making
11. Who are the actors in Rodriguez' short film, Bedhead?
(b) his siblings
(c) homeless people
12. Short on money, how to Rodriguez and Gallardo arrange their trip to Los Angeles?
(a) driving to Los Angeles and staying at a friend's place
(b) taking the bus to Los Angeles and staying at the YMCA
(c) hitchhiking to Los Angeles
(d) hopping a freight car to LA and sleeping in a park
13. Who helps with shooting the chase scene?
(a) low riders
(b) the local police
(c) local teenage drivers
(d) NASCAR drivers
14. What does El Mariachi receive on airing its trailer on public access TV?
(a) negative reviews by critics
(b) an offer to finance the film
(c) inquiries about where the film was made
(d) positive responses from viewers
15. What advice does Rodriguez recall as he starts work on his movie?
(a) always hire someone to do the technical jobs
(b) it takes at least $30,000 to make a movie
(c) being creative is all you need to succeed
(d) being creative and technical is better
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez decide to do before doing a full edit of the film?
2. What is Javier's offer for the rights to EL MARIACHI?
3. Why does Rodriguez turn down volunteer help on making his movie?
4. What are three important locations Rodriguez and Gallardo look for in Mexico?
5. What does Rodriguez worry about before going to Pharmaco?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)