|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first scene Rodriguez completes as he writes his screenplay?
(a) A police chase ends in a fiery crash.
(b) The Mariachi sings to a beautiful woman.
(c) Azul gets a job singing at a Mexican cafe.
(d) The Mariachi tries to find work at a cafe but is turned down.
2. What is Rodriguez able to do when he has access to two VCRs?
(a) edit his films
(b) add titles to his films
(c) shoot from multiple camera angles
(d) make two movies at one time
3. What does Rodriguez think will compensate for any inadequacies in costuming?
(a) his cropping style
(b) his film noir style
(c) his shooting and editing style
(d) his soft focus style
4. How does Rodriguez sum up his pre-production activity for El Mariachi?
(a) as education
(b) as the hardest part
(c) as simplification
(d) as improvisation
5. In LA, what do Rodriguez and Gallardo do to find a buyer?
(a) go door-to-door to sell El Mariachi
(b) take out ads in the LA Times
(c) have free showings of El Mariachi
(d) get on TV and push their product
6. How do Rodriguez and Gallardo rate the Spanish films starring at least one famous actor?
(c) serious competition
(d) well made
7. Why does the boring work of editing the film begin to get Rodriguez down?
(a) He only likes to work on things he enjoys.
(b) He sees too many defects in the film.
(c) He fears he is not up to the task.
(d) He needs help but has no money left.
8. What offer does a Spanish action movie production company make to Rodriguez and Gallardo?
(a) to make a Spanish video action movie for him for $30,000
(b) to go on the company's payroll as directors
(c) to send them to a Mexican film school
(d) to buy all their short films
9. What daring thing does Rodriguez do in Hollywood?
(a) walks into the office of the president of Warner Bros.
(b) goes on Jay Leno Show
(c) sends his tape to ICM
(d) takes an ad out in Variety
10. How much do Rodriguez and Gallardo estimate it will take to make their movie?
11. What does Rodriguez think is the most important thing for attracting a distributor?
(a) an attractive trailer
(b) a chance to meet the stars
(c) a big neame star
(d) a higher percentage of the gross profits
12. What does he learn how to do because of needing to do only one take of a scene?
(a) to plan only short scenes for the film
(b) to write with one camera angle in mind
(c) to shoot as little raw footage as possible
(d) to work only in the early morning
13. Short on money, how to Rodriguez and Gallardo arrange their trip to Los Angeles?
(a) driving to Los Angeles and staying at a friend's place
(b) taking the bus to Los Angeles and staying at the YMCA
(c) hopping a freight car to LA and sleeping in a park
(d) hitchhiking to Los Angeles
14. What are the weapons used in the film?
(a) guns rented from a pawnshop
(b) army surplus guns
(c) plastic toy store guns
(d) real guns borrowed from the police
15. What comes of the efforts to get Lina Santos, a Mexican movie and TV star, to act in El Mariachi?
(a) They never get in to see her.
(b) Her agent demands too much money.
(c) She still will not commit to being in the movie.
(d) She agrees and then backs out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes it necessary to improvise?
2. What is Rodriguez given in order to edit his film?
3. What are Gallardo's contributions to making El Mariachi?
4. How does Rodriguez plan to make single shot weapons appear to be semi-automatic?
5. How does Rodriguez obtain his first VCR?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)