|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator not want her husband to know?
2. What costume does Max choose for the ball?
3. How does the narrator feel about visiting Maxim's grandmother?
4. In what sort of mood is the narrator the morning after the fancy dress ball?
5. What does Dr Baker reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the moral problem that lies at the core of Rebecca. Do you think this has been presented satisfactorily? Why or why not? Be sure to refer closely to characters and events in the text.
Essay Topic 2
"Mrs Danvers is not the antagonist in Rebecca: the real antagonist is Rebecca de Winter." Do you agree? Why or why not? Examine the power dynamics in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
"The destruction of Manderley symbolizes the destruction of the genteel world of the early twentieth century, with all its hypocrisy." Do you agree? Write a substantial essay that reviews the themes of the novel.
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)