|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ben offers the narrator some winkles. What are winkles?
2. How has Maxim misunderstood his wife to this point?
3. What does Maxim's Gran believe are the three most important qualities in a wife?
4. The tenor of his conversation at lunch makes it clear that Maxim . . .
5. On reflection about past events, what deduction does the narrator make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Manderley is the major character in the novel Rebecca." How far do you agree with this statement? What is the meaning of its destruction? Why doesn't Maxim simply rebuild it?
Essay Topic 2
Choose TWO significant characters from the novel Rebecca. In a considered essay, discuss the way these characters and their roles in the story illustrate and/or connect with the novel's themes.
Essay Topic 3
Did Rebecca de Winter deserve to die? Should her husband have been punished (through the law) for her murder? Examine the moral dilemma. Is there indeed a moral dilemma at all? Write the text of a speech you might give to some law students.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)