|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Max feel about speaking to the press?
2. Why does Colonel Julyan not think it would help to write to the doctor about Rebecca's consultation?
3. What flower does a guest suggest the narrator represents, in her blue dress?
4. What explanation does Maxim give for the shipping disaster?
5. What is the "frightful word of six letters" to which the narrator refers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Rebecca is a novel that could not exist without the British class system of the 1930s." Discuss with close reference to relationships depicted in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationships of the couples presented in Rebecca. Look at Maxim and Rebecca; Maxim and his new wife; Rebecca and Jack Favell; Beatrice and Giles. How do these relationships affect the development of the story?
Essay Topic 3
"Manderley is the major character in the novel Rebecca." How far do you agree with this statement? What is the meaning of its destruction? Why doesn't Maxim simply rebuild it?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)