|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does the narrator find Frank Crawley invaluable?
2. What is Mr Tubb's opinion about the boat's sinking?
3. How has Maxim misunderstood his wife to this point?
4. What does Favell think will help Ben to remember him?
5. According to Mrs. Danvers, why should Mrs. de Winter kill herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements of the novel Rebecca do you think are similar to the fairy-tale? In your answer, refer to characters and structure as well as subtext. Does the novel subvert the fairytale elements to any extent?
Essay Topic 2
Write a considered essay on characterization in Rebecca. Which characters are rounded and which flat? Are any of the characters stereotypes? Comment on the importance of minor characters like Robert, Ben and Giles.
Essay Topic 3
Choose TWO significant characters from the novel Rebecca. In a considered essay, discuss the way these characters and their roles in the story illustrate and/or connect with the novel's themes.
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)