|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beatrice's theory about the holes in Rebecca's boat?
2. What costume does Maxim de Winter suggest his wife wear to the fancy dress ball?
3. Who saw Rebecca leave the note at Favell's flat?
4. What does Maxim tell his wife to do?
5. What does Beatrice suggest the narrator do in the morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Rebecca is a novel that could not exist without the British class system of the 1930s." Discuss with close reference to relationships depicted in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you most engage with when reading Rebecca? Which character did you most dislike? Write an essay in which you compare and contrast these two characters and reflect about what you have learned through experiencing them in the world of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What elements of the novel Rebecca do you think are similar to the fairy-tale? In your answer, refer to characters and structure as well as subtext. Does the novel subvert the fairytale elements to any extent?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)