|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Maxim's dominant feelings about his years with Rebecca?
2. What is the name of Rebecca's boat, as written on the name board?
3. What flower does a guest suggest the narrator represents, in her blue dress?
4. Who are Hastings and Birkett?
5. What is Beatrice's theory about the holes in Rebecca's boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Daphne du Maurier's accomplishment is to build a tense and engaging story around an essentially weak protagonist." Do you agree? Discuss with close reference to the characters and relationships depicted in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a considered essay on characterization in Rebecca. Which characters are rounded and which flat? Are any of the characters stereotypes? Comment on the importance of minor characters like Robert, Ben and Giles.
Essay Topic 3
"Mrs Danvers is not the antagonist in Rebecca: the real antagonist is Rebecca de Winter." Do you agree? Why or why not? Examine the power dynamics in the novel.
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)