|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On reflection about past events, what deduction does the narrator make?
2. According to Mrs. Danvers, why should Mrs. de Winter kill herself?
3. What is the "frightful word of six letters" to which the narrator refers?
4. Who are Hastings and Birkett?
5. What was Rebecca's attitude to doctors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Did Rebecca de Winter deserve to die? Should her husband have been punished (through the law) for her murder? Examine the moral dilemma. Is there indeed a moral dilemma at all? Write the text of a speech you might give to some law students.
Essay Topic 2
"Rebecca is the strongest character in the novel, yet she never appears in it." Do you agree that Rebecca is the strongest character? What makes a strong character? Write about 500 words.
Essay Topic 3
"Romance and drama are essential to interesting lives, and Rebecca supplies plenty of this!" Examine the romance and drama in Rebecca. What techniques does the author use to create a strong story that engages the reader?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)