|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the narrator when she puts "out [her] hand and touche[s] the brushes"?
2. What does the narrator not want her husband to know?
3. On reflection about past events, what deduction does the narrator make?
4. What does Maxim tell his wife at last?
5. Which words best describe Beatrice's Christmas party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationships of the couples presented in Rebecca. Look at Maxim and Rebecca; Maxim and his new wife; Rebecca and Jack Favell; Beatrice and Giles. How do these relationships affect the development of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you assess the effectiveness of the opening chapters of the novel. Comment on setting, language, characters and the development of mystery.
Essay Topic 3
"Rebecca contains a critique of the luxurious, idle lives of the British landed gentry." Do you agree? Is there evidence of such a critique?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)