|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator stand to watch the drama of the grounded ship?
2. Ben offers the narrator some winkles. What are winkles?
3. What does the narrator's dream suggest?
4. Who instructs Mrs. Danvers to lock Maxim and his wife in their room for the night?
5. What does Dr Baker reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Manderley is the major character in the novel Rebecca." How far do you agree with this statement? What is the meaning of its destruction? Why doesn't Maxim simply rebuild it?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the moral problem that lies at the core of Rebecca. Do you think this has been presented satisfactorily? Why or why not? Be sure to refer closely to characters and events in the text.
Essay Topic 3
In a thoughtful essay, examine the place of landscape in the novel. Does it connect with character, theme and action? Does it provide emotional depth? Remember that there is not only the landscape at Manderley. Write 500 words.
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)