|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the storm approaches, to what does the narrator liken the sea?
2. What has changed concerning the relationship between the narrator and Mrs. Danvers?
3. What does Colonel Julyan say about blackmail?
4. What prevents Beatrice going to London with them all?
5. What is depicted on the postcard set on the doctor's mantelpiece?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Rebecca is the strongest character in the novel, yet she never appears in it." Do you agree that Rebecca is the strongest character? What makes a strong character? Write about 500 words.
Essay Topic 2
"Daphne du Maurier's accomplishment is to build a tense and engaging story around an essentially weak protagonist." Do you agree? Discuss with close reference to the characters and relationships depicted in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is the novel Rebecca characteristic of the romance novel genre? Examine and comment on the structure and character dynamics in the novel. Write about 800 words.
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)