|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colonel Julyan say about blackmail?
2. What does Maxim's Gran believe are the three most important qualities in a wife?
3. What does the narrator realize about Frank?
4. What are the qualities the narrator believes a person must have to be well-bred?
5. Why does Frank visit the vicar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a thoughtful essay, examine the place of landscape in the novel. Does it connect with character, theme and action? Does it provide emotional depth? Remember that there is not only the landscape at Manderley. Write 500 words.
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you most engage with when reading Rebecca? Which character did you most dislike? Write an essay in which you compare and contrast these two characters and reflect about what you have learned through experiencing them in the world of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write a considered essay on characterization in Rebecca. Which characters are rounded and which flat? Are any of the characters stereotypes? Comment on the importance of minor characters like Robert, Ben and Giles.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)