|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator believe to be inevitable in everyone's life?
2. Of what is Rebecca's vase made?
3. Jasper is what breed of dog?
4. What object does Ben attempt to hide from the narrator?
5. What does Maxim tell his wife about the east wing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maxim say is missing from his proposal?
2. Is it reasonable for Mrs. Danvers to blame herself for Rebecca's death?
3. How do Maxim and his wife deal with what they reasonably expect could be their last evening together?
4. How appropriate is Maxim's suggestion that his wife dress for the costume ball as Alice in Wonderland?
5. What is special about Happy Valley?
6. What do you think he means when Frank Crawley tells the protagonist that it's vitally important they they talk?
7. Show how honesty affects the relationship of Maxim and his wife during Chapter 20 of Rebecca.
8. What does Mrs Van Hopper do to make contact with Maxim de Winter?
9. What criticisms of the British landed gentry are implied in this chapter of Rebecca?
10. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Manderley is the major character in the novel Rebecca." How far do you agree with this statement? What is the meaning of its destruction? Why doesn't Maxim simply rebuild it?
Essay Topic 2
In a thoughtful essay, account for the continuing popularity of Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca. Write about 500 words.
Essay Topic 3
"Romance and drama are essential to interesting lives, and Rebecca supplies plenty of this!" Examine the romance and drama in Rebecca. What techniques does the author use to create a strong story that engages the reader?
This section contains 1,776 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)