|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beatrice greet the narrator?
2. What does Mrs. Danvers offer to do?
3. Overall, what does this description show the reader about Manderley?
4. Where does Maxim propose to take the narrator for their honeymoon?
5. From what illness is Mrs Van Hopper suffering?
Short Essay Questions
1. "The devil does not ride us any more" is an example of what kind of figurative language?
2. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
3. What is the overall tone of the opening chapter?
4. What changes in the protagonist are evident in this chapter?
5. What suggests that, when the story opens, the protagonist is in a climate different from that of the British Isles?
6. Could this novel have been called Manderley, not Rebecca?
7. Is the protagonist's assessment of herself, as not having guts, a true one?
8. What is the effect on the protagonist of her days spent with Maxim?
9. Comment on the scene that takes place in Rebecca's room.
10. What complications enter the story via Jack Favell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a thoughtful essay, account for the continuing popularity of Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca. Write about 500 words.
Essay Topic 2
"Daphne du Maurier's accomplishment is to build a tense and engaging story around an essentially weak protagonist." Do you agree? Discuss with close reference to the characters and relationships depicted in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write a considered essay on characterization in Rebecca. Which characters are rounded and which flat? Are any of the characters stereotypes? Comment on the importance of minor characters like Robert, Ben and Giles.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)