Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the woods, where does Maxim say the right-hand path leads?
2. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
3. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
4. What gives the impression of a church archway?
5. Why is the meal with Mrs Van Hopper eaten in silence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect of the description of the London streets in Chapter 26 of Rebecca?
2. Why and in what way does the protagonist behave uncharacteristically?
3. What is the protagonist's vision of her life in Manderley?
4. Why does the protagonist feel that there is "a strange air of unreality" about her first luncheon with Maxim de Winter?
5. What criticisms of the British landed gentry are implied in this chapter of Rebecca?
6. Comment on Ben's significance in this chapter.
7. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
8. What is the overall tone of the opening chapter?
9. What leads to the protagonist's encounter with Mrs. Danvers in the west wing?
10. In what ways is the protagonist of Rebecca a mystery?
Essay Topic 1
What elements of the novel Rebecca do you think are similar to the fairy-tale? In your answer, refer to characters and structure as well as subtext. Does the novel subvert the fairytale elements to any extent?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the moral problem that lies at the core of Rebecca. Do you think this has been presented satisfactorily? Why or why not? Be sure to refer closely to characters and events in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Choose TWO significant characters from the novel Rebecca. In a considered essay, discuss the way these characters and their roles in the story illustrate and/or connect with the novel's themes.
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)