|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what illness is Mrs Van Hopper suffering?
2. What interrupts Mrs Van Hopper's conversation with Max de Winter?
3. What color is the stone of which Manderley is built?
4. How had they left the library door?
5. How does the narrator respond to Maxim's note?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to the protagonist's encounter with Mrs. Danvers in the west wing?
2. What are the reasons the protagonist gives for her fear of stifling in Mrs. Van Hopper's room?
3. How appropriate is Maxim's suggestion that his wife dress for the costume ball as Alice in Wonderland?
4. Why is the Manderley fancy dress ball so important?
5. Comment on the layers of meaning in Chapter 19 of Rebecca.
6. What is the protagonist's vision of her life in Manderley?
7. Comment on the protagonist's feelings in Chapter 17 of Rebecca.
8. Comment on the significance of the title "Je Reviens--I come back" for Rebecca's boat.
9. "The devil does not ride us any more" is an example of what kind of figurative language?
10. In what ways is the protagonist of Rebecca a mystery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Rebecca is the strongest character in the novel, yet she never appears in it." Do you agree that Rebecca is the strongest character? What makes a strong character? Write about 500 words.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you assess the effectiveness of the opening chapters of the novel. Comment on setting, language, characters and the development of mystery.
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you most engage with when reading Rebecca? Which character did you most dislike? Write an essay in which you compare and contrast these two characters and reflect about what you have learned through experiencing them in the world of the novel.
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)