Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the woods, where does Maxim say the right-hand path leads?
2. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
3. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
4. What gives the impression of a church archway?
5. Why is the meal with Mrs Van Hopper eaten in silence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect of the description of the London streets in Chapter 26 of Rebecca?
2. Why and in what way does the protagonist behave uncharacteristically?
3. What is the protagonist's vision of her life in Manderley?
4. Why does the protagonist feel that there is "a strange air of unreality" about her first luncheon with Maxim de Winter?
5. What criticisms of the British landed gentry are implied in this chapter of Rebecca?
6. Comment on Ben's significance in this chapter.
7. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
8. What is the overall tone of the opening chapter?
9. What leads to the protagonist's encounter with Mrs. Danvers in the west wing?
10. In what ways is the protagonist of Rebecca a mystery?
Write a considered essay on characterization in Rebecca. Which characters are rounded and which flat? Are any of the characters stereotypes? Comment on the importance of minor characters like Robert, Ben and Giles.
"Manderley is the major character in the novel Rebecca." How far do you agree with this statement? What is the meaning of its destruction? Why doesn't Maxim simply rebuild it?
"Rebecca contains a critique of the luxurious, idle lives of the British landed gentry." Do you agree? Is there evidence of such a critique?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)