|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Overall, what does this description show the reader about Manderley?
2. What special privilege does Max extend to the narrator?
3. What fruit does the narrator anticipate being served at tea?
4. Jasper is what breed of dog?
5. On what floor of the hotel building is Max's suite?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is the protagonist of Rebecca a mystery?
2. What does Mrs Van Hopper do to make contact with Maxim de Winter?
3. Why does the protagonist say that she is coming to dread any reference to the sea?
4. What attracts Maxim to the protagonist of the novel Rebecca?
5. Why does the protagonist feel like crying when she receives the set of books, A History of Painting?
6. What are safe topics for the protagonist to read aloud to her husband?
7. What criticisms of the British landed gentry are implied in this chapter of Rebecca?
8. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
9. Is it reasonable for Mrs. Danvers to blame herself for Rebecca's death?
10. What is the effect on the protagonist of her days spent with Maxim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a thoughtful essay, account for the continuing popularity of Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca. Write about 500 words.
Essay Topic 2
"Daphne du Maurier's accomplishment is to build a tense and engaging story around an essentially weak protagonist." Do you agree? Discuss with close reference to the characters and relationships depicted in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
"Rebecca is a novel that could not exist without the British class system of the 1930s." Discuss with close reference to relationships depicted in the novel.
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)