Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the woods, where does Maxim say the right-hand path leads?
2. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
3. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
4. What gives the impression of a church archway?
5. Why is the meal with Mrs Van Hopper eaten in silence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect of the description of the London streets in Chapter 26 of Rebecca?
2. Why and in what way does the protagonist behave uncharacteristically?
3. What is the protagonist's vision of her life in Manderley?
4. Why does the protagonist feel that there is "a strange air of unreality" about her first luncheon with Maxim de Winter?
5. What criticisms of the British landed gentry are implied in this chapter of Rebecca?
6. Comment on Ben's significance in this chapter.
7. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
8. What is the overall tone of the opening chapter?
9. What leads to the protagonist's encounter with Mrs. Danvers in the west wing?
10. In what ways is the protagonist of Rebecca a mystery?
In what ways is the novel Rebecca characteristic of the romance novel genre? Examine and comment on the structure and character dynamics in the novel. Write about 800 words.
Which character did you most engage with when reading Rebecca? Which character did you most dislike? Write an essay in which you compare and contrast these two characters and reflect about what you have learned through experiencing them in the world of the novel.
"Rebecca is the strongest character in the novel, yet she never appears in it." Do you agree that Rebecca is the strongest character? What makes a strong character? Write about 500 words.
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)