|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Monte Carlo attraction will Mrs Van Hopper miss by leaving early?
2. Who opens the car door for the narrator?
3. What does the narrator find in the pocket of the car?
4. Of what is Rebecca's vase made?
5. In her dream of Manderley, the narrator stands . . .
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that Colonel Julyan and Jack Favell seem to be blind to concerning the meaning of Rebecca's note and her visit to Dr Baker?
2. Show how honesty affects the relationship of Maxim and his wife during Chapter 20 of Rebecca.
3. What factor does the narrator feel has been pivotal to the way her life has turned out?
4. What does Mrs Van Hopper do to make contact with Maxim de Winter?
5. In what way could Rebecca's death justly be termed a suicide?
6. What is Maxim de Winter's attitude to Mrs. Van Hopper?
7. What is the overall tone of the opening chapter?
8. What is Maxim's response to Favell's threats?
9. Why does the protagonist say that she is coming to dread any reference to the sea?
10. Why and in what way does the protagonist behave uncharacteristically?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Exploring moral dilemmas in fiction prepares us to make decisions in the real world." Discuss this statement, making close reference to the way characters deal with moral issues in Rebecca.
Essay Topic 2
"Rebecca contains a critique of the luxurious, idle lives of the British landed gentry." Do you agree? Is there evidence of such a critique?
Essay Topic 3
"Daphne du Maurier's accomplishment is to build a tense and engaging story around an essentially weak protagonist." Do you agree? Discuss with close reference to the characters and relationships depicted in the novel.
This section contains 1,664 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)