|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In happier times, where did they take tea?
2. Who first suggests the revival of the Manderley Fancy Dress ball?
3. On what floor of the hotel building is Max's suite?
4. What does the narrator believe to be inevitable in everyone's life?
5. What is an appropriate word to use for the dream picture of Manderley's grounds and garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that Colonel Julyan and Jack Favell seem to be blind to concerning the meaning of Rebecca's note and her visit to Dr Baker?
2. What does Maxim say is missing from his proposal?
3. What is Maxim's response to Favell's threats?
4. What attracts Maxim to the protagonist of the novel Rebecca?
5. Why does the protagonist think measles are a blessing in the context of the inquest?
6. In what ways is the protagonist of Rebecca a mystery?
7. What is the protagonist's vision of her life in Manderley?
8. Comment on the layers of meaning in Chapter 19 of Rebecca.
9. Why and in what way does the protagonist behave uncharacteristically?
10. What is special about Happy Valley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the moral problem that lies at the core of Rebecca. Do you think this has been presented satisfactorily? Why or why not? Be sure to refer closely to characters and events in the text.
Essay Topic 2
"Exploring moral dilemmas in fiction prepares us to make decisions in the real world." Discuss this statement, making close reference to the way characters deal with moral issues in Rebecca.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationships of the couples presented in Rebecca. Look at Maxim and Rebecca; Maxim and his new wife; Rebecca and Jack Favell; Beatrice and Giles. How do these relationships affect the development of the story?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)