Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the woods, where does Maxim say the right-hand path leads?
2. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
3. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
4. What gives the impression of a church archway?
5. Why is the meal with Mrs Van Hopper eaten in silence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect of the description of the London streets in Chapter 26 of Rebecca?
2. Why and in what way does the protagonist behave uncharacteristically?
3. What is the protagonist's vision of her life in Manderley?
4. Why does the protagonist feel that there is "a strange air of unreality" about her first luncheon with Maxim de Winter?
5. What criticisms of the British landed gentry are implied in this chapter of Rebecca?
6. Comment on Ben's significance in this chapter.
7. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
8. What is the overall tone of the opening chapter?
9. What leads to the protagonist's encounter with Mrs. Danvers in the west wing?
10. In what ways is the protagonist of Rebecca a mystery?
Essay Topic 1
In a thoughtful essay, examine the place of landscape in the novel. Does it connect with character, theme and action? Does it provide emotional depth? Remember that there is not only the landscape at Manderley. Write 500 words.
Essay Topic 2
In a thoughtful essay, account for the continuing popularity of Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca. Write about 500 words.
Essay Topic 3
"Rebecca is a novel that could not exist without the British class system of the 1930s." Discuss with close reference to relationships depicted in the novel.
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)