|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can moonlight do, according to the narrator?
2. What does Mrs Van Hopper think the narrator will like about New York?
3. How does the narrator show she is nervous around the servants?
4. What annoys and astonishes Mrs Van Hopper?
5. Why does the narrator think "ripping" is a poor word to describe her two weeks in Maxim's company?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it reasonable for Mrs. Danvers to blame herself for Rebecca's death?
2. What does Mrs Van Hopper do to make contact with Maxim de Winter?
3. Why does the protagonist feel like crying when she receives the set of books, A History of Painting?
4. Why does the protagonist say that she is coming to dread any reference to the sea?
5. Show how honesty affects the relationship of Maxim and his wife during Chapter 20 of Rebecca.
6. Comment on Ben's significance in this chapter.
7. What does Maxim say is missing from his proposal?
8. How might an alert reader/responder deduce that people are not seeing the protagonist's difference from Rebecca in a negative light?
9. What images relating to death are contained in this chapter?
10. Is the protagonist's assessment of herself, as not having guts, a true one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Rebecca contains a critique of the luxurious, idle lives of the British landed gentry." Do you agree? Is there evidence of such a critique?
Essay Topic 2
"Manderley is the major character in the novel Rebecca." How far do you agree with this statement? What is the meaning of its destruction? Why doesn't Maxim simply rebuild it?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you assess the effectiveness of the opening chapters of the novel. Comment on setting, language, characters and the development of mystery.
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)