|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mrs. Danvers, why should Mrs. de Winter kill herself?
(a) She'll go to Heaven where there are no troubles.
(b) Because Maxim does not love her, she's not happy and a misfit at Manderley.
(c) It will make Rebecca happy.
(d) Max will never return to her because he really loves Rebecca.
2. Where is the narrator when she puts "out [her] hand and touche[s] the brushes"?
(a) In Mrs. Danvers' room.
(b) In the garage where paints are stored.
(c) In an art studio where Rebecca once worked.
(d) In Rebecca's room in the west wing.
3. Why does the narrator tell Frank Crawley that Maxim did not come to bed?
(a) She wants him to find Max and intercede for her.
(b) She is overwrought and blurts it out unthinkingly.
(c) She trusts him, so confides in him.
(d) She wants Frank to feel sorry for her.
4. Where does the narrator stand to watch the drama of the grounded ship?
(a) She goes to the end of the breakwater, then goes to the clifftop.
(b) She stays on the beach.
(c) She stays in the house and looks out the window.
(d) She stays on the clifftop.
5. What are Maxim's dominant feelings about his years with Rebecca?
(a) Knowing other man could have what he couldn't have.
(b) The shame of having to deceive his grandmother.
(c) The shame and degradation from living a lie.
(d) His awe at Rebecca's beauty and cleverness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has changed concerning the relationship between the narrator and Mrs. Danvers?
2. What does Dr Baker reveal?
3. What is the narrator's first reaction to Maxim's confession that he killed Rebecca?
4. What flower does a guest suggest the narrator represents, in her blue dress?
5. Who are Hastings and Birkett?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)