|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Maxim's dominant feelings about his years with Rebecca?
(a) His awe at Rebecca's beauty and cleverness.
(b) Knowing other man could have what he couldn't have.
(c) The shame and degradation from living a lie.
(d) The shame of having to deceive his grandmother.
2. As the storm approaches, to what does the narrator liken the sea?
(a) A black lake.
(b) A duckpond.
(c) A black snake.
(d) A blue lake.
3. Why does the narrator tell Frank Crawley that Maxim did not come to bed?
(a) She wants Frank to feel sorry for her.
(b) She wants him to find Max and intercede for her.
(c) She is overwrought and blurts it out unthinkingly.
(d) She trusts him, so confides in him.
4. What is Beatrice's theory about the holes in Rebecca's boat?
(a) She thinks Communists were responsible.
(b) She thinks Ben probably did it.
(c) She doesn't believe there were any holes in the boat.
(d) She thinks Maxim was responsible.
5. Who is the unexpected visitor that Frith announces?
(a) Maxim's grandmother.
(b) Jack Favell.
(c) The coroner.
(d) Rebecca's grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flower does a guest suggest the narrator represents, in her blue dress?
2. What does Maxim tell his wife to do?
3. The tenor of his conversation at lunch makes it clear that Maxim . . .
4. Why are the shops in Layton closed?
5. How does the narrator feel about visiting Maxim's grandmother?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)