|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Maxim misunderstood his wife to this point?
(a) He has thought his wife was bored and unhappy because she hadn't yet become pregnant.
(b) He has thought his wife was under the thumb of Mrs. Danvers.
(c) He has thought his wife might be in love with Frank.
(d) He has thought his wife aloof, unhappy and bored because of their age difference.
2. What does the narrator not want her husband to know?
(a) That the nurse is not looking after his grandmother properly.
(b) The way his grandmother behaved, wanting Rebecca.
(c) That Beatrice endangered her life in the car.
(d) That she visited his grandmother.
3. How does Max feel about speaking to the press?
(a) He thinks he needs them on his side.
(b) He is worried he might antagonize them.
(c) He only wants to make prepared statements.
(d) He doesn't want to make any statements.
4. In her morning reverie, how does the protagonist/narrator depict life at Manderley?
(a) As graceful, but dangerously indulgent.
(b) As irrelevant, not moving with the times.
(c) As peaceful and lovely, an oasis in a world of strife.
(d) As a world that the Communists will sweep away.
5. What do the rockets indicate?
(a) That two ships have collided in the fog.
(b) That a member of the Royal Family has died.
(c) That a ship has gone ashore/run aground in the bay.
(d) That a ship has collided with the wharf and destroyed it.
Short Answer Questions
1. For the narrator, what is the dreadful ending to the evening?
2. What does Maxim tell his wife to do?
3. Why does Frank visit the vicar?
4. Who are Hastings and Birkett?
5. What flower does a guest suggest the narrator represents, in her blue dress?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)