|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time the narrator bought the postcard, how much was her weekly pocket-money?
(b) A dime.
(c) A shilling.
2. Overall, what does this description show the reader about Manderley?
(a) That it is not in England.
(b) That it is made of grey stone.
(c) That it is a haunted ruin.
(d) That it is a ruin, but unhaunted.
3. What interrupts Mrs Van Hopper's conversation with Max de Winter?
(a) Mrs Van Hopper falls ill.
(b) A page-boy brings a letter for Maxim.
(c) Max spills coffee all over the narrator.
(d) A page-boy tells Mrs Van Hopper that a dressmaker is waiting.
4. Of what is Rebecca's vase made?
(a) Ming china.
(c) Poker work.
5. In what condition is the sofa-bed in the boathouse?
(a) It has been reupholstered.
(b) It is stained with blood.
(c) It is ripped open
(d) It has been nibbled by mice and rats--not in good condition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
2. Where is the narrator when Jack Favell discovers her?
3. In her former life, about what was the narrator sometimes worried?
4. Which birds remind the narrator of Manderley?
5. As she flees into the interior of the house, who does the narrator encounter in the passageway?
Short Essay Questions
1. What images relating to death are contained in this chapter?
2. In what ways is the protagonist of Rebecca a mystery?
3. How might an alert reader/responder deduce that people are not seeing the protagonist's difference from Rebecca in a negative light?
4. What impression of Beatrice is gained in this chapter of Rebecca?
5. Why is Maxim so upset when his wife comments that there would never be any gossip about her?
6. What evidence is there of Rebecca's approach to her work of running Manderley?
7. Is James Tabb a rounded character?
8. What are the reasons the protagonist gives for her fear of stifling in Mrs. Van Hopper's room?
9. How appropriate is Maxim's suggestion that his wife dress for the costume ball as Alice in Wonderland?
10. Comment on the scene that takes place in Rebecca's room.
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)