|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is responsible for attending to the narrator's letters?
(a) Robert, the footman.
(b) Mrs. Danvers.
(c) Frith, the butler.
(d) Maxim de Winter.
2. What is meant by "Jasper has gone to the happy hunting grounds"?
(a) Jasper is a good hunting dog.
(b) Jasper is frisky.
(c) Jasper is dead.
(d) Jasper is out hunting for rabbits.
3. How does Beatrice announce that she will be coming to lunch?
(a) In a letter.
(b) She telephones Maxim.
(c) She telephones Mrs Danvers.
(d) In a postcard.
4. How does the narrator show she is nervous around the servants?
(a) She speaks to them in a tiny voice.
(b) She stutters when she speaks to them.
(c) She creeps around on tiptoe.
(d) She tells how her hands shake when she lights a cigarette.
5. Why is the meal with Mrs Van Hopper eaten in silence?
(a) Mrs Van Hopper likes to concentrate on the food.
(b) The narrator has nothing to say.
(c) Mrs Van Hopper is keeping silence for Lent.
(d) Mrs Van Hopper is annoyed with Max de Winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs Van Hopper ask the narrator to fetch from her room?
2. What can moonlight do, according to the narrator?
3. How does Beatrice greet the narrator?
4. Which things are permanent, according to the narrator?
5. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Favell assert will prevent him from getting justice over Rebecca's death?
2. In what ways does Rebecca conform to the genre of romance fiction?
3. Comment on the significance of the title "Je Reviens--I come back" for Rebecca's boat.
4. Comment on the significance of Frank's comment that humans enjoy disguises.
5. What is the effect of the description of the London streets in Chapter 26 of Rebecca?
6. Why does the protagonist feel that there is "a strange air of unreality" about her first luncheon with Maxim de Winter?
7. What impression of Beatrice is gained in this chapter of Rebecca?
8. How appropriate is Maxim's suggestion that his wife dress for the costume ball as Alice in Wonderland?
9. Describe the protagonist's feelings the morning after the fancy dress ball.
10. Why is Maxim so upset when his wife comments that there would never be any gossip about her?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)