|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the de Winters travel from London to Manderley?
(a) They travel by sailboat.
(b) They take a train from Euston.
(c) They take the train from Victoria station.
(d) They travel by car.
2. What does Maxim tell his wife about the east wing?
(a) It is pleasant and has a good view of the shrubbery.
(b) It is a good place to raise a family.
(c) It is haunted and he never goes there.
(d) It is more cheerful and has a lovely view of the rose garden.
3. How is Manderley's drive different from how the narrator imagined it?
(a) The gravel is red, not white.
(b) There are no trees lining it.
(c) It is not wide and straight, but narrow and serpentine.
(d) It seems neglected, needs resurfacing.
4. How does the narrator respond to Maxim's note?
(a) She reads it but does not send a reply.
(b) She reads it and replies at once.
(c) She is shocked and destroys the note.
(d) She is excited and hides the note from Mrs Van Hopper.
5. What color is the stone of which Manderley is built?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of flowers are in the morning room's vases?
2. For the narrator, what is the result of Mrs Van Hopper's illness?
3. What did the narrator do with the pieces of the figurine?
4. What interrupts Mrs Van Hopper's conversation with Max de Winter?
5. About what is the narrator especially knowledgeable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is James Tabb a rounded character?
2. What does Maxim say is missing from his proposal?
3. What is the difficult position Mrs. de Winter imagines she might shortly be in?
4. What leads to the protagonist's encounter with Mrs. Danvers in the west wing?
5. What is the purpose of the opening chapter of Rebecca?
6. What attracts Maxim to the protagonist of the novel Rebecca?
7. Why does the protagonist say that she is coming to dread any reference to the sea?
8. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
9. What are the reasons the protagonist gives for her fear of stifling in Mrs. Van Hopper's room?
10. What information about Jack Favell is important in this chapter.
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)