|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of car does Jack Favell drive?
(a) A red sports car.
(b) A green sports car.
(c) A Morris estate car.
(d) A Daimler.
2. What lie about her morning activities does the narrator tell Mrs Van Hopper?
(a) She says she has been playing golf with the professional.
(b) She tells Mrs Van Hopper she went for a walk.
(c) She says she went to the casino.
(d) She says she has been playing tennis with the professional.
3. Which birds remind the narrator of Manderley?
(b) Guinea fowl.
4. Jasper is what breed of dog?
(a) A border collie.
(b) A corgi.
(c) A King Charles spaniel.
(d) A cocker spaniel.
5. On what floor of the hotel building is Max's suite?
(a) It is on the seventh floor.
(b) It is on the third floor.
(c) It's on the second floor.
(d) It is on Level 148.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does the narrator disobey her husband?
2. For the narrator, what gives "a glow about [her] morning"?
3. About what is the narrator especially knowledgeable?
4. How had they left the library door?
5. Who is responsible for attending to the narrator's letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the protagonist say that she is coming to dread any reference to the sea?
2. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
3. Why does the protagonist feel that there is "a strange air of unreality" about her first luncheon with Maxim de Winter?
4. Is the protagonist's assessment of herself, as not having guts, a true one?
5. What do the words "We have no secrets now" imply?
6. How do Maxim and his wife deal with what they reasonably expect could be their last evening together?
7. What is the effect of the description of the London streets in Chapter 26 of Rebecca?
8. What is the difficult position Mrs. de Winter imagines she might shortly be in?
9. Comment on the layers of meaning in Chapter 19 of Rebecca.
10. In what ways does Mrs. Van Hopper reveal her snobbishness?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)