|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From the woods, where does Maxim say the right-hand path leads?
(a) To some smugglers' caves.
(b) To Happy Valley.
(c) To a cove where they used to keep a boat.
(d) Back to Manderley.
2. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
(a) She has never been in service before and has no alarming standards.
(b) They are the same age.
(c) She is experienced in service and very helpful.
(d) She is a friendly, outgoing girl.
3. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
(c) Gaucho-influenced fashion.
(d) A type of flower.
4. What gives the impression of a church archway?
(a) The mingled branches of beech trees.
(b) Binsey poplars.
(c) Monster shrubs and plants.
(d) Oak trees.
5. Why is the meal with Mrs Van Hopper eaten in silence?
(a) Mrs Van Hopper is keeping silence for Lent.
(b) Mrs Van Hopper likes to concentrate on the food.
(c) Mrs Van Hopper is annoyed with Max de Winter.
(d) The narrator has nothing to say.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the narrator when Jack Favell discovers her?
2. What sort of car does Jack Favell drive?
3. Which birds remind the narrator of Manderley?
4. How long after her drowning was Rebecca's body found?
5. In what condition is the sofa-bed in the boathouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect of the description of the London streets in Chapter 26 of Rebecca?
2. Why and in what way does the protagonist behave uncharacteristically?
3. What is the protagonist's vision of her life in Manderley?
4. Why does the protagonist feel that there is "a strange air of unreality" about her first luncheon with Maxim de Winter?
5. What criticisms of the British landed gentry are implied in this chapter of Rebecca?
6. Comment on Ben's significance in this chapter.
7. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
8. What is the overall tone of the opening chapter?
9. What leads to the protagonist's encounter with Mrs. Danvers in the west wing?
10. In what ways is the protagonist of Rebecca a mystery?
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)