|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jasper is what breed of dog?
(a) A King Charles spaniel.
(b) A border collie.
(c) A corgi.
(d) A cocker spaniel.
2. What was the quality of Mrs Danvers' smile?
3. How had they left the library door?
(a) Half open.
(b) Locked carefully.
4. Why does the narrator think "ripping" is a poor word to describe her two weeks in Maxim's company?
(a) It's a shallow expression that doesn't convey the depth of happiness she has experienced.
(b) It's a word that is not grown-up enough for her.
(c) Her late father didn't like that expression.
(d) She avoids using slang words at all times.
5. Which birds remind the narrator of Manderley?
(d) Guinea fowl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is responsible for attending to the narrator's letters?
2. What can moonlight do, according to the narrator?
3. What sort of woman does the narrator crave to be?
4. How does Beatrice announce that she will be coming to lunch?
5. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factor does the narrator feel has been pivotal to the way her life has turned out?
2. What attracts Maxim to the protagonist of the novel Rebecca?
3. What are safe topics for the protagonist to read aloud to her husband?
4. What is special about Happy Valley?
5. What do the words "We have no secrets now" imply?
6. What do you think he means when Frank Crawley tells the protagonist that it's vitally important they they talk?
7. Could this novel have been called Manderley, not Rebecca?
8. What does the protagonist learn about herself during this chapter?
9. Comment on the protagonist's feelings in Chapter 17 of Rebecca.
10. What criticisms of the British landed gentry are implied in this chapter of Rebecca?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)