|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first suggests the revival of the Manderley Fancy Dress ball?
(a) The wife of a bishop in a neighboring cathedral town.
(b) Mrs. Danvers.
(c) Beatrice Lacy.
(d) The bishop in a neighboring cathedral town.
2. In what way does the narrator disobey her husband?
(a) She puts Jasper on a leash.
(b) She takes off her raincoat.
(c) She goes looking for the dog Jasper.
(d) She lets the dog run away.
3. What does the narrator believe to be inevitable in everyone's life?
(a) The death of a friend.
(b) A moment of trial.
(c) The moment of death.
(d) A trial of wills.
4. What does Mrs. Danvers offer to do?
(a) To show the narrator how Rebecca organised her menus.
(b) To take the narrator downstairs.
(c) To show the narrator where the stone passage is.
(d) To open up the rooms in the west wing and to take the narrator on a tour.
5. How do the de Winters travel from London to Manderley?
(a) They travel by car.
(b) They travel by sailboat.
(c) They take a train from Euston.
(d) They take the train from Victoria station.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Ben afraid?
2. What fruit does the narrator anticipate being served at tea?
3. What does Frank tell the narrator about Ben?
4. In her dream of Manderley, the narrator stands . . .
5. What fault in Mrs Van Hopper changes the narrator's destiny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Maxim's response to Favell's threats?
2. Comment on the scene that takes place in Rebecca's room.
3. What do you think he means when Frank Crawley tells the protagonist that it's vitally important they they talk?
4. Why does the protagonist feel that there is "a strange air of unreality" about her first luncheon with Maxim de Winter?
5. What information about Jack Favell is important in this chapter.
6. Is the protagonist's assessment of herself, as not having guts, a true one?
7. What images relating to death are contained in this chapter?
8. What suggests that, when the story opens, the protagonist is in a climate different from that of the British Isles?
9. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
10. What is Maxim de Winter's attitude to Mrs. Van Hopper?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)