|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs Van Hopper think the narrator will like about New York?
(a) There will be boys, excitement and her own set of friends.
(b) Friends, the theatre and Central Park in June.
(c) There will be boys and jazz clubs.
(d) The shopping in Bloomingdale's.
2. Why does the narrator value boredom?
(a) It is a pleasant antidote to fear.
(b) There'll be excitement later when she reads the cricket scores.
(c) She doesn't value it at all and is restless.
(d) It gives her time to write her novel.
3. For the narrator, what gives "a glow about [her] morning"?
(a) Getting away from Mrs Van Hopper.
(b) The pleasure of driving in the car with Max.
(c) Her new makeup.
(d) The pleasure of wearing Max's coat.
4. How does Beatrice greet the narrator?
(a) She shakes hands firmly.
(b) She kisses the narrator and shakes hands.
(c) She looks at her coldly and extends a cold, moist hand.
(d) She shakes hands and kisses the narrator on each cheek.
5. Jasper is what breed of dog?
(a) A King Charles spaniel.
(b) A corgi.
(c) A border collie.
(d) A cocker spaniel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's attitude to the age-gap between herself and Maxim?
2. How does the narrator feel about playing bridge?
3. How does Beatrice announce that she will be coming to lunch?
4. What is it that the narrator describes as like a dark hand?
5. How do the de Winters travel from London to Manderley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Comment on Ben's significance in this chapter.
2. Is the protagonist's assessment of herself, as not having guts, a true one?
3. What does Maxim say is missing from his proposal?
4. What impression of Beatrice is gained in this chapter of Rebecca?
5. What is the effect on the protagonist of her days spent with Maxim?
6. In what way could Rebecca's death justly be termed a suicide?
7. Comment on the protagonist's conversation with Ben.
8. What is Maxim's response to Favell's threats?
9. What are safe topics for the protagonist to read aloud to her husband?
10. Is it reasonable for Mrs. Danvers to blame herself for Rebecca's death?
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)