|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what condition is the sofa-bed in the boathouse?
(a) It is ripped open
(b) It is stained with blood.
(c) It has been nibbled by mice and rats--not in good condition.
(d) It has been reupholstered.
2. Which things are permanent, according to the narrator?
(a) The bare little hotel bedroom and the dream.
(b) Fear and suffering.
(c) Manderley and Rebecca.
(d) The brown lilac and the Happy Valley.
3. In her dream, to whom does the narrator call?
(a) The lodge-keeper.
(b) Mrs Van Hopper.
(d) Maxim de Winter.
4. For the narrator, what gives "a glow about [her] morning"?
(a) The pleasure of wearing Max's coat.
(b) Getting away from Mrs Van Hopper.
(c) Her new makeup.
(d) The pleasure of driving in the car with Max.
5. What does the narrator find in the raincoat pocket?
(a) A monogrammed handkerchief.
(b) A bloodstained handkerchief.
(c) A monogrammed cigarette case.
(d) A note from Rebecca.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
2. Who does Max describe as being "invariably late for dinner"?
3. Who is responsible for attending to the narrator's letters?
4. What Monte Carlo attraction will Mrs Van Hopper miss by leaving early?
5. Who is Jasper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impression of Beatrice is gained in this chapter of Rebecca?
2. What suggests that, when the story opens, the protagonist is in a climate different from that of the British Isles?
3. Could this novel have been called Manderley, not Rebecca?
4. What changes in the protagonist are evident in this chapter?
5. Is James Tabb a rounded character?
6. Is it reasonable for Mrs. Danvers to blame herself for Rebecca's death?
7. Comment on the significance of the title "Je Reviens--I come back" for Rebecca's boat.
8. Comment on the significance of Frank's comment that humans enjoy disguises.
9. Why does the protagonist feel that there is "a strange air of unreality" about her first luncheon with Maxim de Winter?
10. How appropriate is Maxim's suggestion that his wife dress for the costume ball as Alice in Wonderland?
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)