|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the narrator when Jack Favell discovers her?
(a) Behind her study door.
(b) Behind the door to the morning room.
(c) In the cottage.
(d) In the stone passageway.
2. In her former life, about what was the narrator sometimes worried?
(a) The waste of food at Manderley.
(b) The poor quality of food at Manderley.
(c) The difficulty of getting good servants.
(d) The waste of angel cake at Manderley.
3. How does the narrator show she is nervous around the servants?
(a) She tells how her hands shake when she lights a cigarette.
(b) She speaks to them in a tiny voice.
(c) She creeps around on tiptoe.
(d) She stutters when she speaks to them.
4. How far away do Beatrice and Giles live?
(a) Forty miles away.
(b) Fifteen miles away.
(c) Fifty miles away.
(d) Two hundred miles away.
5. Why does the narrator value boredom?
(a) It is a pleasant antidote to fear.
(b) There'll be excitement later when she reads the cricket scores.
(c) She doesn't value it at all and is restless.
(d) It gives her time to write her novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Manderley's drive different from how the narrator imagined it?
2. What Monte Carlo attraction will Mrs Van Hopper miss by leaving early?
3. What gives the impression of a church archway?
4. Of what is Rebecca's vase made?
5. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the protagonist say that she is coming to dread any reference to the sea?
2. In what ways is the protagonist of Rebecca a mystery?
3. What is the difficult position Mrs. de Winter imagines she might shortly be in?
4. What is the overall tone of the opening chapter?
5. What are safe topics for the protagonist to read aloud to her husband?
6. In what way could Rebecca's death justly be termed a suicide?
7. Why does the protagonist feel that there is "a strange air of unreality" about her first luncheon with Maxim de Winter?
8. Could this novel have been called Manderley, not Rebecca?
9. What is the purpose of the opening chapter of Rebecca?
10. What does Maxim say is missing from his proposal?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)