|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs Van Hopper misjudge the conversation with Maxim de Winter?
(a) She thinks Max is falling for her.
(b) She thinks Max was embarrassed by the narrator's behavior.
(c) She believes Max was flirting with the narrator.
(d) She believes Max thinks she is witty.
2. At the time the narrator bought the postcard, how much was her weekly pocket-money?
(b) A dime.
(d) A shilling.
3. How far away do Beatrice and Giles live?
(a) Fifteen miles away.
(b) Fifty miles away.
(c) Forty miles away.
(d) Two hundred miles away.
4. What does Mrs Van Hopper think the narrator will like about New York?
(a) There will be boys, excitement and her own set of friends.
(b) There will be boys and jazz clubs.
(c) The shopping in Bloomingdale's.
(d) Friends, the theatre and Central Park in June.
5. What is significant about the man the narrator meets on the beach?
(a) He has a mental disability: he is an idiot in the true sense of the word.
(b) He looks like Maxim's evil twin.
(c) His clothes are ragged.
(d) He talks incoherently.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
2. What object is Robert suspected of stealing?
3. Where does Maxim propose to take the narrator for their honeymoon?
4. What was the quality of Mrs Danvers' smile?
5. With what does Mrs Van Hopper compare Manderley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What images relating to death are contained in this chapter?
2. What information about Jack Favell is important in this chapter.
3. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
4. Comment on Ben's significance in this chapter.
5. What is the effect on the protagonist of her days spent with Maxim?
6. What impression of Beatrice is gained in this chapter of Rebecca?
7. Why is the Manderley fancy dress ball so important?
8. Comment on the layers of meaning in Chapter 19 of Rebecca.
9. What is Maxim de Winter's attitude to Mrs. Van Hopper?
10. Why does the protagonist think measles are a blessing in the context of the inquest?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)