|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator find in the raincoat pocket?
(a) A monogrammed cigarette case.
(b) A monogrammed handkerchief.
(c) A note from Rebecca.
(d) A bloodstained handkerchief.
2. How does the narrator respond to Maxim's note?
(a) She is shocked and destroys the note.
(b) She reads it but does not send a reply.
(c) She reads it and replies at once.
(d) She is excited and hides the note from Mrs Van Hopper.
3. How does Mrs Van Hopper misjudge the conversation with Maxim de Winter?
(a) She thinks Max is falling for her.
(b) She believes Max was flirting with the narrator.
(c) She thinks Max was embarrassed by the narrator's behavior.
(d) She believes Max thinks she is witty.
4. What kind of flowers are in the morning room's vases?
(b) Pansies and clematis.
5. What was the quality of Mrs Danvers' smile?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maxim tell his wife about the east wing?
2. What excuse does the narrator give to Mrs. Danvers?
3. Overall, what does this description show the reader about Manderley?
4. Identify the figurative language in the phrase "lies like an empty shell."
5. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the protagonist's feelings the morning after the fancy dress ball.
2. What does the protagonist learn about herself during this chapter?
3. Is James Tabb a rounded character?
4. What is Maxim de Winter's attitude to Mrs. Van Hopper?
5. What criticisms of the British landed gentry are implied in this chapter of Rebecca?
6. Show how honesty affects the relationship of Maxim and his wife during Chapter 20 of Rebecca.
7. Why does the protagonist feel like crying when she receives the set of books, A History of Painting?
8. In what ways does Rebecca conform to the genre of romance fiction?
9. Comment on the scene that takes place in Rebecca's room.
10. Why is the Manderley fancy dress ball so important?
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)