|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs Van Hopper misjudge the conversation with Maxim de Winter?
(a) She believes Max thinks she is witty.
(b) She thinks Max was embarrassed by the narrator's behavior.
(c) She thinks Max is falling for her.
(d) She believes Max was flirting with the narrator.
2. What quality of the narrator's does Maxim de Winter value?
(a) Her beautiful fingernails.
(b) Her unspoiled youth.
(c) Her sophistication and dress sense.
(d) Her ability to lie to Mrs Van Hopper.
3. Of what does Mrs Danvers' face remind the narrator?
(a) A fox.
(b) A ferret.
(c) A skull.
(d) A ghost.
4. Which birds remind the narrator of Manderley?
(b) Guinea fowl.
5. What does Frank think about the narrator?
(a) He thinks that she is fresh, young and sensible.
(b) He thinks she is inexperienced and arrogant.
(c) He thinks she is beautiful and shy.
(d) He thinks she is too young to manage Manderley.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what colors is the buoy painted?
2. How does the narrator respond to Maxim's note?
3. Jasper is what breed of dog?
4. Why is the meal with Mrs Van Hopper eaten in silence?
5. What does Maxim tell Mrs Van Hopper about his valet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Favell assert will prevent him from getting justice over Rebecca's death?
2. What do the words "We have no secrets now" imply?
3. What is the effect of the description of the London streets in Chapter 26 of Rebecca?
4. Comment on Ben's significance in this chapter.
5. What suggests that, when the story opens, the protagonist is in a climate different from that of the British Isles?
6. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
7. Why is the Manderley fancy dress ball so important?
8. What changes in the protagonist are evident in this chapter?
9. What do you think he means when Frank Crawley tells the protagonist that it's vitally important they they talk?
10. What factor does the narrator feel has been pivotal to the way her life has turned out?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)