|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can moonlight do, according to the narrator?
(a) Moonlight can play odd tricks upon the fancy.
(b) Moonlight can reveal secrets.
(c) Moonlight can make you feel romantic.
(d) Moonlight can scare you.
2. In happier times, where did they take tea?
(a) In the rose garden.
(b) On the beach.
(c) In the boathouse.
(d) Under the chestnut tree.
3. In what setting does the narrator think Max de Winter belongs?
(a) At Palm Beach in Florida.
(b) A fifteenth century walled city.
(c) On the cover of a magazine like Tatler.
(d) In an imposing London bank building.
4. What interesting sight does the narrator remember seeing in Monaco?
(a) A ghostly figure in the sky.
(b) Prince Rainier driving with Princess Grace.
(c) A crooked white building.
(d) A crooked house in a cobbled square.
5. As she flees into the interior of the house, who does the narrator encounter in the passageway?
(a) A scullery maid.
(b) A housemaid.
(c) Mrs. Danvers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away do Beatrice and Giles live?
2. What kind of flowers are in the morning room's vases?
3. What enjoyable holiday does the bishop's wife mention?
4. Why is the narrator rather shocked at herself?
5. How does Mrs Van Hopper misjudge the conversation with Maxim de Winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes in the protagonist are evident in this chapter?
2. What complications enter the story via Jack Favell?
3. Is James Tabb a rounded character?
4. What is the effect on the protagonist of her days spent with Maxim?
5. What reasons does Favell assert will prevent him from getting justice over Rebecca's death?
6. What does Maxim say is missing from his proposal?
7. What is the difficult position Mrs. de Winter imagines she might shortly be in?
8. What impression of Beatrice is gained in this chapter of Rebecca?
9. Why does the protagonist say that she is coming to dread any reference to the sea?
10. What do you think he means when Frank Crawley tells the protagonist that it's vitally important they they talk?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)