|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time the narrator bought the postcard, how much was her weekly pocket-money?
(b) A dime.
(d) A shilling.
2. Jasper is what breed of dog?
(a) A border collie.
(b) A cocker spaniel.
(c) A King Charles spaniel.
(d) A corgi.
3. What color is the stone of which Manderley is built?
4. How is the narrator reminded of an English spring?
(a) By looking through her photograph album.
(b) Through old copies of the magazine Field.
(c) Through news of England on the radio.
(d) Through conversations with Maxim.
5. What comment does Maxim make about Beatrice?
(a) She is a good person but talks too much.
(b) She is tactless but a good hostess.
(c) She is a good rider.
(d) She is a good person, but tactless.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first suggests the revival of the Manderley Fancy Dress ball?
2. What is significant about the man the narrator meets on the beach?
3. What fault in Mrs Van Hopper changes the narrator's destiny?
4. Which birds remind the narrator of Manderley?
5. What is an appropriate word to use for the dream picture of Manderley's grounds and garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about Jack Favell is important in this chapter.
2. What is the difficult position Mrs. de Winter imagines she might shortly be in?
3. What is the effect on the protagonist of her days spent with Maxim?
4. Comment on the significance of the title "Je Reviens--I come back" for Rebecca's boat.
5. Why is Maxim against his wife going off after the dog Jasper?
6. What leads to the protagonist's encounter with Mrs. Danvers in the west wing?
7. What is it that Colonel Julyan and Jack Favell seem to be blind to concerning the meaning of Rebecca's note and her visit to Dr Baker?
8. How do Maxim and his wife deal with what they reasonably expect could be their last evening together?
9. Why does the protagonist feel like crying when she receives the set of books, A History of Painting?
10. Comment on the scene that takes place in Rebecca's room.
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)