|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the stone of which Manderley is built?
2. What does Maxim tell his wife about the east wing?
(a) It is a good place to raise a family.
(b) It is more cheerful and has a lovely view of the rose garden.
(c) It is pleasant and has a good view of the shrubbery.
(d) It is haunted and he never goes there.
3. How does Mrs Van Hopper misjudge the conversation with Maxim de Winter?
(a) She thinks Max is falling for her.
(b) She believes Max thinks she is witty.
(c) She thinks Max was embarrassed by the narrator's behavior.
(d) She believes Max was flirting with the narrator.
4. In what colors is the buoy painted?
(a) White and green.
(b) Orange and green.
(c) Red, white and blue.
(d) Orange and white.
5. What was the quality of Mrs Danvers' smile?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose things are in the boathouse?
2. As she flees into the interior of the house, who does the narrator encounter in the passageway?
3. In her former life, about what was the narrator sometimes worried?
4. What does the leather book contain?
5. What does Maxim tell Mrs Van Hopper about his valet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might an alert reader/responder deduce that people are not seeing the protagonist's difference from Rebecca in a negative light?
2. What is special about Happy Valley?
3. Show how honesty affects the relationship of Maxim and his wife during Chapter 20 of Rebecca.
4. What is the difficult position Mrs. de Winter imagines she might shortly be in?
5. Why does the protagonist feel like crying when she receives the set of books, A History of Painting?
6. What images relating to death are contained in this chapter?
7. Comment on the significance of Frank's comment that humans enjoy disguises.
8. What is the protagonist's vision of her life in Manderley?
9. Why does the protagonist think measles are a blessing in the context of the inquest?
10. What information about Jack Favell is important in this chapter.
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)