|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what is the narrator especially knowledgeable?
(a) The history of Manderley.
(c) Breeding partridges.
(d) The English countryside.
2. What does Mrs. Danvers offer to do?
(a) To show the narrator where the stone passage is.
(b) To show the narrator how Rebecca organised her menus.
(c) To take the narrator downstairs.
(d) To open up the rooms in the west wing and to take the narrator on a tour.
3. Why does the narrator value boredom?
(a) There'll be excitement later when she reads the cricket scores.
(b) She doesn't value it at all and is restless.
(c) It gives her time to write her novel.
(d) It is a pleasant antidote to fear.
4. In what setting does the narrator think Max de Winter belongs?
(a) At Palm Beach in Florida.
(b) In an imposing London bank building.
(c) A fifteenth century walled city.
(d) On the cover of a magazine like Tatler.
5. What does the leather book contain?
(a) A yearly menu plan.
(b) Detailed accounts.
(c) Details about Rebecca's lovers.
(d) Details about guests at Manderley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Monte Carlo attraction will Mrs Van Hopper miss by leaving early?
2. In happier times, where did they take tea?
3. Which things are permanent, according to the narrator?
4. What object is Robert suspected of stealing?
5. In her former life, about what was the narrator sometimes worried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why and in what way does the protagonist behave uncharacteristically?
2. What is the difficult position Mrs. de Winter imagines she might shortly be in?
3. What attracts Maxim to the protagonist of the novel Rebecca?
4. What is the purpose of the opening chapter of Rebecca?
5. What leads to the protagonist's encounter with Mrs. Danvers in the west wing?
6. What is it that Colonel Julyan and Jack Favell seem to be blind to concerning the meaning of Rebecca's note and her visit to Dr Baker?
7. What is the protagonist's vision of her life in Manderley?
8. Is James Tabb a rounded character?
9. Show how honesty affects the relationship of Maxim and his wife during Chapter 20 of Rebecca.
10. Comment on Ben's significance in this chapter.
This section contains 1,448 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)