|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How might Beatrice's driving be described?
(a) Fast and skilful.
(b) Fast, dangerous, not seeming to notice the chaos she causes.
(c) Fast, but careful and relatively safe.
(d) Sensible, driving always at an appropriate speed.
2. What does Maxim tell his wife to do?
(a) To fetch Mrs. Danvers.
(b) To go upstairs and stay there out of sight.
(c) To go and get changed before anyone arrives.
(d) Accompany him to the library.
3. What are the qualities the narrator believes a person must have to be well-bred?
(a) A good accent and pride.
(b) Pride and money.
(c) Pride and guts.
(d) An aristocratic pedigree.
4. In what area of London does Dr Baker live?
(a) Maida Vale in Central London.
(b) Palmers Green in North London.
(c) Barnet in North London.
5. As the storm approaches, to what does the narrator liken the sea?
(a) A blue lake.
(b) A duckpond.
(c) A black snake.
(d) A black lake.
6. Who instructs Mrs. Danvers to lock Maxim and his wife in their room for the night?
(a) Maxim de Winter.
(b) Jack Favell.
(c) Colonel Julyan.
(d) Mrs de Winter.
7. Who announces the arrival of Maxim's car?
(b) Mrs. Danvers.
8. What does Frank consider to be a universal instinct?
(a) To kill enemies.
(b) To disguise intentions if feeling threatened.
(c) To dress up and get drunk at parties.
(d) To dress up in some sort of disguise.
9. What does the Coroner say about Mr Tubb's workmanship?
(a) He says it is excellent and he would like him to work on his wife's boat.
(b) He says it is irrelevant.
(c) He condemns it as being responsible for the accident.
(d) He says it is excellent and was not to blame for the accident.
10. What is the narrator's first reaction to Maxim's confession that he killed Rebecca?
11. Which words best describe Beatrice's Christmas party?
(a) Boistrous, noisy, silly and messy.
(b) Boistrous in an elegant way.
(c) Noisy, and very drunken with fights breaking out.
(d) Elegant, organized, but rather stodgy.
12. What does the narrator not want her husband to know?
(a) That she visited his grandmother.
(b) That the nurse is not looking after his grandmother properly.
(c) That Beatrice endangered her life in the car.
(d) The way his grandmother behaved, wanting Rebecca.
13. What has changed concerning the relationship between the narrator and Mrs. Danvers?
(a) The power roles are reversed.
(b) The power of Mrs. Danvers has grown stronger.
(c) The narrator has gained some power.
(d) All power has gone out of the relationship.
14. What is depicted on the postcard set on the doctor's mantelpiece?
(a) A picture of Lake Constance.
(b) A picture of Lake Como.
(c) A picture of Lake Geneva.
(d) A picture of the Venice Lagoon.
15. In what sort of mood is the narrator the morning after the fancy dress ball?
(a) She is exhausted.
(b) She is in despair.
(c) She is angry and depressed.
(d) She is tired and nervous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Danvers doing as she tells Mrs. de Winter about the night Rebecca died?
2. What is the name of Rebecca's boat, as written on the name board?
3. What has tarnished the silver dresses?
4. What explanation does Maxim give for the shipping disaster?
5. What does Favell want?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)