|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Maxim misunderstood his wife to this point?
(a) He has thought his wife was under the thumb of Mrs. Danvers.
(b) He has thought his wife was bored and unhappy because she hadn't yet become pregnant.
(c) He has thought his wife aloof, unhappy and bored because of their age difference.
(d) He has thought his wife might be in love with Frank.
2. Who are Hastings and Birkett?
(a) Police officers.
(b) A firm specializing in marine salvage.
(c) Travel agents.
3. For how long would Rebecca have her hair brushed?
(a) Twenty minutes.
(b) Thirty minutes.
(c) Fifteen minutes.
(d) Five minutes.
4. What story is circulated regarding Mrs. de Winter's dress?
(a) That the dressmaker sent the wrong dress.
(b) That the dress was too big and had to be returned.
(c) That the dress was ruined by the maid.
(d) That the dress was in the wrong color.
5. Where is the narrator when she puts "out [her] hand and touche[s] the brushes"?
(a) In Mrs. Danvers' room.
(b) In the garage where paints are stored.
(c) In Rebecca's room in the west wing.
(d) In an art studio where Rebecca once worked.
6. As the storm approaches, to what does the narrator liken the sea?
(a) A blue lake.
(b) A duckpond.
(c) A black snake.
(d) A black lake.
7. Why is Beatrice unable to visit?
(a) The family is in quarantine due to the measles.
(b) She has the measles.
(c) She has to nurse Giles and Roger.
(d) She is too embarrassed.
8. What does Maxim ask Frank to do?
(a) To take his wife back to Manderley.
(b) To wait at Manderley.
(c) To take Mrs. Danvers back to Manderley.
(d) To take his wife in to Lanyon.
9. What did Rebecca think of her lovers?
(a) She adored them.
(b) She thought they gave her kudos.
(c) She thought they were good providers.
(d) She laughed at them.
10. Who discovers Baker's phone number?
(a) Jack Favell.
(b) Mrs. de Winter.
(c) Colonel Julyan.
(d) Mrs. Danvers.
11. How is the narrator's entrance to the ball announced?
(a) Via a drum roll.
(b) Frith calls for order and announces her.
(c) Some loud chords on a piano.
(d) Via a trumpet fanfare.
12. What is the narrator's first reaction to Maxim's confession that he killed Rebecca?
13. What does the narrator realize about Frank?
(a) That he knows Maxim killed Rebecca.
(b) That he is in love with her.
(c) That he will betray Maxim.
(d) That he no longer believes in Maxim.
14. What are the qualities the narrator believes a person must have to be well-bred?
(a) A good accent and pride.
(b) Pride and money.
(c) An aristocratic pedigree.
(d) Pride and guts.
15. What is the name of Rebecca's boat, as written on the name board?
(a) Jete, jete!
(b) Je Reviens.
(d) Je t'aime.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Mrs Danvers give for her deception over the ball dress?
2. On reflection about past events, what deduction does the narrator make?
3. What costume does Maxim de Winter suggest his wife wear to the fancy dress ball?
4. What does Frank consider to be a universal instinct?
5. Who instructs Mrs. Danvers to lock Maxim and his wife in their room for the night?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)