|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The tenor of his conversation at lunch makes it clear that Maxim . . .
(a) is becoming tired of his wife.
(b) is hungry.
(c) looks forward to the time his wife becomes more sophisticated.
(d) does not admire deceit.
2. Who is Colonel Julyan?
(a) The magistrate for Penwith.
(b) The magistrate for Kerrith.
(c) A distant relative of Rebecca's.
(d) A famous lawyer from London.
3. What does Mrs. Danvers suggest to the narrator?
(a) That it is time they both had a break and went downstairs.
(b) That Rebecca haunts Manderley.
(c) That Rebecca is her spirit guide.
(d) That she wear Rebecca's clothes.
4. What flower does a guest suggest the narrator represents, in her blue dress?
(a) A forget-me-not.
(b) Morning glory vine.
(c) A cornflower.
(d) An iris.
5. What did Rebecca think of her lovers?
(a) She thought they were good providers.
(b) She adored them.
(c) She laughed at them.
(d) She thought they gave her kudos.
6. What is Mrs. Danvers doing as she tells Mrs. de Winter about the night Rebecca died?
(a) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's hands and is staring fiercely into her eyes.
(b) She is pacing around the room like a mad thing.
(c) She is looking out the window at the sea below the house.
(d) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's arm to the extent of bruising it.
7. Who is Captain Searle?
(a) The diver.
(b) The captain of the foundered vessel.
(c) The harbormaster at Kerrith.
(d) An army reservist and magistrate.
8. What do the rockets indicate?
(a) That a member of the Royal Family has died.
(b) That a ship has gone ashore/run aground in the bay.
(c) That two ships have collided in the fog.
(d) That a ship has collided with the wharf and destroyed it.
9. For how long would Rebecca have her hair brushed?
(a) Fifteen minutes.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) Thirty minutes.
10. What has changed concerning the relationship between the narrator and Mrs. Danvers?
(a) All power has gone out of the relationship.
(b) The narrator has gained some power.
(c) The power of Mrs. Danvers has grown stronger.
(d) The power roles are reversed.
11. Where does the narrator stand to watch the drama of the grounded ship?
(a) She stays in the house and looks out the window.
(b) She stays on the beach.
(c) She goes to the end of the breakwater, then goes to the clifftop.
(d) She stays on the clifftop.
12. What color dress does the narrator eventually wear top the ball?
13. What does Colonel Julyan say about blackmail?
(a) It is simple, but not pure.
(b) It is a way to become rich.
(c) It is pure and simple.
(d) It is neither pure nor simple.
14. Who instructs Mrs. Danvers to lock Maxim and his wife in their room for the night?
(a) Mrs de Winter.
(b) Jack Favell.
(c) Colonel Julyan.
(d) Maxim de Winter.
15. For the narrator, what is the dreadful ending to the evening?
(a) Max does not come to bed.
(b) Mrs. Danvers laughs at her.
(c) Max is weeping for Rebecca.
(d) Mrs. Danvers and Max laugh at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the unexpected visitor that Frith announces?
2. What is depicted on the postcard set on the doctor's mantelpiece?
3. What does Frank consider to be a universal instinct?
4. What does the Coroner say about Mr Tubb's workmanship?
5. How does Max feel about speaking to the press?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)