|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr Tubb's opinion about the boat's sinking?
(a) He says it was deliberately scuttled.
(b) He says someone tampered with the boat when it was moored.
(c) He says part of the hull was sawn off.
(d) He says Rebecca was unusually careless.
2. What has changed concerning the relationship between the narrator and Mrs. Danvers?
(a) The narrator has gained some power.
(b) The power roles are reversed.
(c) The power of Mrs. Danvers has grown stronger.
(d) All power has gone out of the relationship.
3. What is the name of Rebecca's boat, as written on the name board?
(a) Je Reviens.
(c) Jete, jete!
(d) Je t'aime.
4. Who saw Rebecca leave the note at Favell's flat?
(a) A housemaid.
(b) The porter.
(c) A cab driver.
(d) Rebecca's chauffeur.
5. What are Maxim's dominant feelings about his years with Rebecca?
(a) Knowing other man could have what he couldn't have.
(b) His awe at Rebecca's beauty and cleverness.
(c) The shame and degradation from living a lie.
(d) The shame of having to deceive his grandmother.
6. How many people from the ship are drowned?
(c) Three hundred.
7. In what sort of mood is the narrator the morning after the fancy dress ball?
(a) She is exhausted.
(b) She is tired and nervous.
(c) She is in despair.
(d) She is angry and depressed.
8. For how long would Rebecca have her hair brushed?
(a) Fifteen minutes.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) Twenty minutes.
(d) Thirty minutes.
9. Why does Colonel Julyan not think it would help to write to the doctor about Rebecca's consultation?
(a) There is a postal strike.
(b) The doctor probably doesn't have the medical records, as he has retired.
(c) The doctor has moved house and might not receive the letter.
(d) He would not give out confidential patient information in that manner.
10. What does Beatrice suggest the narrator do in the morning?
(a) She should have a good lie-in, with breakfast in bed.
(b) She should sack Mrs. Danvers.
(c) She should get up early and talk to Max.
(d) She should apologize to Maxim.
11. What flower does a guest suggest the narrator represents, in her blue dress?
(a) Morning glory vine.
(b) An iris.
(c) A forget-me-not.
(d) A cornflower.
12. What does Favell want?
(a) To give Maxim a note he received from Rebecca.
(b) Rebecca's money.
(c) To receive an annual income from Maxim, as blackmail.
(d) For Maxim to pay him a lump sum to go away.
13. Who discovers Baker's phone number?
(a) Mrs. de Winter.
(b) Mrs. Danvers.
(c) Jack Favell.
(d) Colonel Julyan.
14. Ben offers the narrator some winkles. What are winkles?
(a) Undersized fish.
(b) Small shellfish.
(c) Berry fruits that grow in the forest.
(d) A type of Cornish biscuit.
15. Why are the shops in Layton closed?
(a) It is Sunday.
(b) The shopowners have all gone to the inquest.
(c) It is early closing day.
(d) As a mark of respect to Rebecca.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Beatrice unable to visit?
2. How has Maxim misunderstood his wife to this point?
3. What does Maxim's Gran believe are the three most important qualities in a wife?
4. What does Maxim tell his wife to do?
5. What does the narrator not want her husband to know?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)