|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocks does Maxim claim to have suffered?
(a) The discovery of the boat and the discovery of the body.
(b) Learning he'd made a mistake in identificaton and finding out the boat was sunk on purpose.
(c) His mistaken identification and his sister's illness.
(d) The shock of seeing his new wife in Rebecca's dress.
2. What does Mrs. Danvers suggest to the narrator?
(a) That she wear Rebecca's clothes.
(b) That Rebecca haunts Manderley.
(c) That Rebecca is her spirit guide.
(d) That it is time they both had a break and went downstairs.
3. Who is the unexpected visitor that Frith announces?
(a) Jack Favell.
(b) The coroner.
(c) Rebecca's grandmother.
(d) Maxim's grandmother.
4. As the storm approaches, to what does the narrator liken the sea?
(a) A blue lake.
(b) A black snake.
(c) A black lake.
(d) A duckpond.
5. What is the name of the game the narrator feels is being played with Mrs. Danvers?
(b) Spicks and Soecks.
(c) Old Bailey.
(d) Old Witch.
6. What does Frank consider to be a universal instinct?
(a) To kill enemies.
(b) To dress up and get drunk at parties.
(c) To dress up in some sort of disguise.
(d) To disguise intentions if feeling threatened.
7. What costume does Maxim de Winter suggest his wife wear to the fancy dress ball?
(a) Wonder Woman.
(b) A Dresden shepherdess.
(c) Alice Perrers.
(d) Alice in Wonderland.
8. What prevents Beatrice going to London with them all?
(a) Giles is ill and Beatrice is suspicious of the nurse.
(b) Roger can't be left as he is sick and doesn't like the nurse.
(c) Her car is in for service.
(d) Roger wants her to watch him play cricket.
9. What did Rebecca think of her lovers?
(a) She thought they gave her kudos.
(b) She adored them.
(c) She laughed at them.
(d) She thought they were good providers.
10. What does Maxim ask Frank to do?
(a) To take Mrs. Danvers back to Manderley.
(b) To take his wife back to Manderley.
(c) To wait at Manderley.
(d) To take his wife in to Lanyon.
11. What does Maxim tell his wife at last?
(a) That he will soon come to love her.
(b) That he adores Rebecca.
(c) That he is penniless.
(d) That he loves her.
12. Who are Hastings and Birkett?
(a) A firm specializing in marine salvage.
(c) Travel agents.
(d) Police officers.
13. What is the narrator's first reaction to Maxim's confession that he killed Rebecca?
14. Why does Colonel Julyan not think it would help to write to the doctor about Rebecca's consultation?
(a) The doctor probably doesn't have the medical records, as he has retired.
(b) There is a postal strike.
(c) He would not give out confidential patient information in that manner.
(d) The doctor has moved house and might not receive the letter.
15. What does the narrator's dream suggest?
(a) That she is insecure about Maxim's feelings for her.
(b) That she would like to be Rebecca.
(c) That she likes walking in the forest.
(d) That she is spooked by Mrs. Danvers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color dress does the narrator eventually wear top the ball?
2. The tenor of his conversation at lunch makes it clear that Maxim . . .
3. Why does Frank visit the vicar?
4. What does Favell want?
5. How many people from the ship are drowned?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)