|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What costume does Maxim de Winter suggest his wife wear to the fancy dress ball?
(a) Wonder Woman.
(b) A Dresden shepherdess.
(c) Alice in Wonderland.
(d) Alice Perrers.
2. Who saw Rebecca leave the note at Favell's flat?
(a) The porter.
(b) A cab driver.
(c) Rebecca's chauffeur.
(d) A housemaid.
3. For how long would Rebecca have her hair brushed?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Thirty minutes.
(d) Fifteen minutes.
4. How might Beatrice's driving be described?
(a) Fast, but careful and relatively safe.
(b) Fast, dangerous, not seeming to notice the chaos she causes.
(c) Sensible, driving always at an appropriate speed.
(d) Fast and skilful.
5. Why are the shops in Layton closed?
(a) It is early closing day.
(b) The shopowners have all gone to the inquest.
(c) As a mark of respect to Rebecca.
(d) It is Sunday.
6. What does Maxim tell his wife at last?
(a) That he will soon come to love her.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That he adores Rebecca.
(d) That he is penniless.
7. What was Rebecca's attitude to doctors?
(a) She respected them.
(b) She despised them.
(c) She didn't trust them completely, but consulted them.
(d) She was indifferent to them.
8. What is the narrator's first reaction to Maxim's confession that he killed Rebecca?
9. What are the qualities the narrator believes a person must have to be well-bred?
(a) An aristocratic pedigree.
(b) Pride and money.
(c) A good accent and pride.
(d) Pride and guts.
10. Who announces the arrival of Maxim's car?
(d) Mrs. Danvers.
11. What does Mrs. Danvers suggest to the narrator?
(a) That it is time they both had a break and went downstairs.
(b) That Rebecca is her spirit guide.
(c) That Rebecca haunts Manderley.
(d) That she wear Rebecca's clothes.
12. According to Mrs. Danvers, why should Mrs. de Winter kill herself?
(a) Because Maxim does not love her, she's not happy and a misfit at Manderley.
(b) She'll go to Heaven where there are no troubles.
(c) Max will never return to her because he really loves Rebecca.
(d) It will make Rebecca happy.
13. What flower does a guest suggest the narrator represents, in her blue dress?
(a) A cornflower.
(b) A forget-me-not.
(c) Morning glory vine.
(d) An iris.
14. For the narrator, what is the dreadful ending to the evening?
(a) Max is weeping for Rebecca.
(b) Max does not come to bed.
(c) Mrs. Danvers laughs at her.
(d) Mrs. Danvers and Max laugh at her.
15. On reflection about past events, what deduction does the narrator make?
(a) That Jack Favell knows how to get his way.
(b) That Colonel Julyan believes in the murder.
(c) That Frank witnessed the murder.
(d) That Ben witnessed the murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has tarnished the silver dresses?
2. How long ago did the narrator last use her dressing-case?
3. What reason does Mrs Danvers give for her deception over the ball dress?
4. Who is Captain Searle?
5. Why is Beatrice unable to visit?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)