|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the narrator's entrance to the ball announced?
(a) Via a drum roll.
(b) Via a trumpet fanfare.
(c) Frith calls for order and announces her.
(d) Some loud chords on a piano.
2. In what way does the narrator find Frank Crawley invaluable?
(a) He conducts an inspection of Happy Valley.
(b) He helps her serve tea to the many visitors.
(c) He teaches her to ride.
(d) He helps her with accounts.
3. Who instructs Mrs. Danvers to lock Maxim and his wife in their room for the night?
(a) Colonel Julyan.
(b) Maxim de Winter.
(c) Mrs de Winter.
(d) Jack Favell.
4. What does the narrator's dream suggest?
(a) That she likes walking in the forest.
(b) That she is spooked by Mrs. Danvers.
(c) That she would like to be Rebecca.
(d) That she is insecure about Maxim's feelings for her.
5. In what sort of mood is the narrator the morning after the fancy dress ball?
(a) She is tired and nervous.
(b) She is in despair.
(c) She is exhausted.
(d) She is angry and depressed.
6. The tenor of his conversation at lunch makes it clear that Maxim . . .
(a) does not admire deceit.
(b) is hungry.
(c) looks forward to the time his wife becomes more sophisticated.
(d) is becoming tired of his wife.
7. What does Dr Baker reveal?
(a) That Rebecca was pregnant.
(b) That Rebecca had terminal cancer.
(c) That Rebecca needed an operation for a malformed uterus.
(d) That Rebecca had a serious heart condition.
8. What has tarnished the silver dresses?
(a) Stale perfume of roses.
(b) The azalea scent, turned stale.
(c) A bottle of furniture polish.
9. Who is the unexpected visitor that Frith announces?
(a) Maxim's grandmother.
(b) The coroner.
(c) Jack Favell.
(d) Rebecca's grandmother.
10. On reflection about past events, what deduction does the narrator make?
(a) That Colonel Julyan believes in the murder.
(b) That Ben witnessed the murder.
(c) That Jack Favell knows how to get his way.
(d) That Frank witnessed the murder.
11. What are Maxim's dominant feelings about his years with Rebecca?
(a) The shame of having to deceive his grandmother.
(b) His awe at Rebecca's beauty and cleverness.
(c) The shame and degradation from living a lie.
(d) Knowing other man could have what he couldn't have.
12. How long ago did the narrator last use her dressing-case?
(a) Four months.
(b) A year.
(c) Three months.
(d) Four weeks.
13. What do the rockets indicate?
(a) That a ship has collided with the wharf and destroyed it.
(b) That two ships have collided in the fog.
(c) That a ship has gone ashore/run aground in the bay.
(d) That a member of the Royal Family has died.
14. Who announces the arrival of Maxim's car?
(c) Mrs. Danvers.
15. For how long would Rebecca have her hair brushed?
(a) Fifteen minutes.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Thirty minutes.
(d) Five minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator realize about Frank?
2. What does the narrator not want her husband to know?
3. How might Beatrice's driving be described?
4. According to Mrs. Danvers, why should Mrs. de Winter kill herself?
5. What does Maxim ask Frank to do?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)