|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator tell Frank Crawley that Maxim did not come to bed?
(a) She trusts him, so confides in him.
(b) She is overwrought and blurts it out unthinkingly.
(c) She wants Frank to feel sorry for her.
(d) She wants him to find Max and intercede for her.
2. Why does Frank visit the vicar?
(a) To arrange Rebecca's burial.
(b) To ask him for dinner.
(c) To confess what he knows about the murder.
(d) To borrow his car.
3. What is the "frightful word of six letters" to which the narrator refers?
4. What is the narrator's first reaction to Maxim's confession that he killed Rebecca?
5. What is Beatrice's theory about the holes in Rebecca's boat?
(a) She thinks Maxim was responsible.
(b) She thinks Ben probably did it.
(c) She thinks Communists were responsible.
(d) She doesn't believe there were any holes in the boat.
6. What was Rebecca's attitude to doctors?
(a) She respected them.
(b) She was indifferent to them.
(c) She despised them.
(d) She didn't trust them completely, but consulted them.
7. What does Maxim tell his wife at last?
(a) That he will soon come to love her.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That he adores Rebecca.
(d) That he is penniless.
8. Why is a diver employed?
(a) To salvage items from the ship's safe.
(b) To look for survivors.
(c) To make a report on damage to the reef.
(d) To inspect the damaged hull of the ship.
9. In what area of London does Dr Baker live?
(a) Palmers Green in North London.
(b) Barnet in North London.
(d) Maida Vale in Central London.
10. What is Mrs. Danvers doing as she tells Mrs. de Winter about the night Rebecca died?
(a) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's hands and is staring fiercely into her eyes.
(b) She is looking out the window at the sea below the house.
(c) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's arm to the extent of bruising it.
(d) She is pacing around the room like a mad thing.
11. What does Maxim ask Frank to do?
(a) To take his wife in to Lanyon.
(b) To wait at Manderley.
(c) To take his wife back to Manderley.
(d) To take Mrs. Danvers back to Manderley.
12. Who discovers Baker's phone number?
(a) Colonel Julyan.
(b) Mrs. de Winter.
(c) Mrs. Danvers.
(d) Jack Favell.
13. What are Maxim's dominant feelings about his years with Rebecca?
(a) The shame and degradation from living a lie.
(b) The shame of having to deceive his grandmother.
(c) Knowing other man could have what he couldn't have.
(d) His awe at Rebecca's beauty and cleverness.
14. What reason does Mrs Danvers give for her deception over the ball dress?
(a) She likes the feeling of power.
(b) She wanted revenge because she believes Mrs. de Winter told her husband of Jack Favell's visit.
(c) She says it is something Rebecca would have done.
(d) She thinks Mrs. de Winter is a weak fool and therefore fair game.
15. What explanation does Maxim give for the shipping disaster?
(a) He believes the ship had not taken a pilot on board.
(b) He believes the ship had tried to avoid smugglers.
(c) He believes the ship mistook the bay for Kerrith Harbour.
(d) He believes the ship's captain was drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the storm approaches, to what does the narrator liken the sea?
2. How might Beatrice's driving be described?
3. What does the narrator not want her husband to know?
4. Who instructs Mrs. Danvers to lock Maxim and his wife in their room for the night?
5. What is depicted on the postcard set on the doctor's mantelpiece?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)