|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Danvers doing as she tells Mrs. de Winter about the night Rebecca died?
(a) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's hands and is staring fiercely into her eyes.
(b) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's arm to the extent of bruising it.
(c) She is looking out the window at the sea below the house.
(d) She is pacing around the room like a mad thing.
2. What does Favell want?
(a) To receive an annual income from Maxim, as blackmail.
(b) Rebecca's money.
(c) For Maxim to pay him a lump sum to go away.
(d) To give Maxim a note he received from Rebecca.
3. How long ago did the narrator last use her dressing-case?
(a) Three months.
(b) Four months.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) A year.
4. What does the narrator realize about Frank?
(a) That he will betray Maxim.
(b) That he no longer believes in Maxim.
(c) That he is in love with her.
(d) That he knows Maxim killed Rebecca.
5. What is Colonel Julyan's hope concerning Jack Favell?
(a) That he will wake up to himself.
(b) That he will remember to bring Rebecca's note.
(c) That he will be run over by a bus.
(d) That he has overslept.
6. What reason does Mrs Danvers give for her deception over the ball dress?
(a) She says it is something Rebecca would have done.
(b) She likes the feeling of power.
(c) She thinks Mrs. de Winter is a weak fool and therefore fair game.
(d) She wanted revenge because she believes Mrs. de Winter told her husband of Jack Favell's visit.
7. What does the narrator not want her husband to know?
(a) That she visited his grandmother.
(b) The way his grandmother behaved, wanting Rebecca.
(c) That Beatrice endangered her life in the car.
(d) That the nurse is not looking after his grandmother properly.
8. What does Dr Baker reveal?
(a) That Rebecca had terminal cancer.
(b) That Rebecca had a serious heart condition.
(c) That Rebecca needed an operation for a malformed uterus.
(d) That Rebecca was pregnant.
9. Why does Frank visit the vicar?
(a) To confess what he knows about the murder.
(b) To ask him for dinner.
(c) To arrange Rebecca's burial.
(d) To borrow his car.
10. What does Maxim tell his wife to do?
(a) To go upstairs and stay there out of sight.
(b) Accompany him to the library.
(c) To fetch Mrs. Danvers.
(d) To go and get changed before anyone arrives.
11. In what sort of mood is the narrator the morning after the fancy dress ball?
(a) She is exhausted.
(b) She is in despair.
(c) She is angry and depressed.
(d) She is tired and nervous.
12. What prevents Beatrice going to London with them all?
(a) Her car is in for service.
(b) Giles is ill and Beatrice is suspicious of the nurse.
(c) Roger wants her to watch him play cricket.
(d) Roger can't be left as he is sick and doesn't like the nurse.
13. Why does the narrator tell Frank Crawley that Maxim did not come to bed?
(a) She wants him to find Max and intercede for her.
(b) She wants Frank to feel sorry for her.
(c) She trusts him, so confides in him.
(d) She is overwrought and blurts it out unthinkingly.
14. What does Maxim's Gran believe are the three most important qualities in a wife?
(a) Breeding, brains and beauty.
(b) Breeding, bearing and beauty,
(c) Fertility, feistiness and fearlessness.
(d) Archness, aristocracy and acumen.
15. What are the qualities the narrator believes a person must have to be well-bred?
(a) An aristocratic pedigree.
(b) A good accent and pride.
(c) Pride and guts.
(d) Pride and money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story is circulated regarding Mrs. de Winter's dress?
2. Who is Colonel Julyan?
3. What does Rebecca imply during her final confrontation with Maxim?
4. For how long would Rebecca have her hair brushed?
5. In what area of London does Dr Baker live?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)