|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the rockets indicate?
(a) That a ship has collided with the wharf and destroyed it.
(b) That a member of the Royal Family has died.
(c) That two ships have collided in the fog.
(d) That a ship has gone ashore/run aground in the bay.
2. Why does Frank visit the vicar?
(a) To confess what he knows about the murder.
(b) To borrow his car.
(c) To ask him for dinner.
(d) To arrange Rebecca's burial.
3. For how long would Rebecca have her hair brushed?
(a) Fifteen minutes.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) Thirty minutes.
4. What story is circulated regarding Mrs. de Winter's dress?
(a) That the dress was ruined by the maid.
(b) That the dress was too big and had to be returned.
(c) That the dress was in the wrong color.
(d) That the dressmaker sent the wrong dress.
5. For the narrator, what is the dreadful ending to the evening?
(a) Mrs. Danvers laughs at her.
(b) Max does not come to bed.
(c) Mrs. Danvers and Max laugh at her.
(d) Max is weeping for Rebecca.
6. How does Max feel about speaking to the press?
(a) He doesn't want to make any statements.
(b) He is worried he might antagonize them.
(c) He thinks he needs them on his side.
(d) He only wants to make prepared statements.
7. Ben offers the narrator some winkles. What are winkles?
(a) A type of Cornish biscuit.
(b) Berry fruits that grow in the forest.
(c) Undersized fish.
(d) Small shellfish.
8. What does the narrator's dream suggest?
(a) That she likes walking in the forest.
(b) That she is spooked by Mrs. Danvers.
(c) That she is insecure about Maxim's feelings for her.
(d) That she would like to be Rebecca.
9. What does Frank consider to be a universal instinct?
(a) To dress up in some sort of disguise.
(b) To dress up and get drunk at parties.
(c) To kill enemies.
(d) To disguise intentions if feeling threatened.
10. What did Rebecca think of her lovers?
(a) She thought they were good providers.
(b) She thought they gave her kudos.
(c) She laughed at them.
(d) She adored them.
11. What costume does Maxim de Winter suggest his wife wear to the fancy dress ball?
(a) A Dresden shepherdess.
(b) Wonder Woman.
(c) Alice in Wonderland.
(d) Alice Perrers.
12. Who announces the arrival of Maxim's car?
(b) Mrs. Danvers.
13. What does the narrator not want her husband to know?
(a) That she visited his grandmother.
(b) The way his grandmother behaved, wanting Rebecca.
(c) That the nurse is not looking after his grandmother properly.
(d) That Beatrice endangered her life in the car.
14. What has changed concerning the relationship between the narrator and Mrs. Danvers?
(a) The power of Mrs. Danvers has grown stronger.
(b) The power roles are reversed.
(c) All power has gone out of the relationship.
(d) The narrator has gained some power.
15. What is the name of the game the narrator feels is being played with Mrs. Danvers?
(a) Spicks and Soecks.
(b) Old Bailey.
(c) Old Witch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Rebecca's boat, as written on the name board?
2. What does Colonel Julyan say about blackmail?
3. What color dress does the narrator eventually wear top the ball?
4. In her morning reverie, how does the protagonist/narrator depict life at Manderley?
5. What is Colonel Julyan's hope concerning Jack Favell?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)