|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the narrator, what is the dreadful ending to the evening?
(a) Max does not come to bed.
(b) Max is weeping for Rebecca.
(c) Mrs. Danvers and Max laugh at her.
(d) Mrs. Danvers laughs at her.
2. How long ago did the narrator last use her dressing-case?
(a) Three months.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Four months.
(d) A year.
3. As the storm approaches, to what does the narrator liken the sea?
(a) A blue lake.
(b) A black lake.
(c) A duckpond.
(d) A black snake.
4. According to Mrs. Danvers, why should Mrs. de Winter kill herself?
(a) Because Maxim does not love her, she's not happy and a misfit at Manderley.
(b) She'll go to Heaven where there are no troubles.
(c) Max will never return to her because he really loves Rebecca.
(d) It will make Rebecca happy.
5. How is the narrator's entrance to the ball announced?
(a) Some loud chords on a piano.
(b) Via a trumpet fanfare.
(c) Frith calls for order and announces her.
(d) Via a drum roll.
6. In what area of London does Dr Baker live?
(a) Barnet in North London.
(c) Maida Vale in Central London.
(d) Palmers Green in North London.
7. What does Maxim tell his wife at last?
(a) That he adores Rebecca.
(b) That he loves her.
(c) That he will soon come to love her.
(d) That he is penniless.
8. What does she believe about her relationship with Maxim?
(a) She believes she will need to work hard to get through the crisis.
(b) That it is over and the divorce settlement will make her rich.
(c) She believes the problems will blow over.
(d) She believes her marriage has failed after three months.
9. What does Favell want?
(a) For Maxim to pay him a lump sum to go away.
(b) Rebecca's money.
(c) To give Maxim a note he received from Rebecca.
(d) To receive an annual income from Maxim, as blackmail.
10. What is Mrs. Danvers doing as she tells Mrs. de Winter about the night Rebecca died?
(a) She is looking out the window at the sea below the house.
(b) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's arm to the extent of bruising it.
(c) She is pacing around the room like a mad thing.
(d) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's hands and is staring fiercely into her eyes.
11. Why is a diver employed?
(a) To make a report on damage to the reef.
(b) To salvage items from the ship's safe.
(c) To look for survivors.
(d) To inspect the damaged hull of the ship.
12. What does Dr Baker reveal?
(a) That Rebecca had a serious heart condition.
(b) That Rebecca needed an operation for a malformed uterus.
(c) That Rebecca had terminal cancer.
(d) That Rebecca was pregnant.
13. What are Maxim's dominant feelings about his years with Rebecca?
(a) Knowing other man could have what he couldn't have.
(b) The shame of having to deceive his grandmother.
(c) His awe at Rebecca's beauty and cleverness.
(d) The shame and degradation from living a lie.
14. Who announces the arrival of Maxim's car?
(b) Mrs. Danvers.
15. What flower does a guest suggest the narrator represents, in her blue dress?
(a) An iris.
(b) A forget-me-not.
(c) Morning glory vine.
(d) A cornflower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Coroner say about Mr Tubb's workmanship?
2. Where does the narrator stand to watch the drama of the grounded ship?
3. What is Mr Tubb's opinion about the boat's sinking?
4. What is the name of the game the narrator feels is being played with Mrs. Danvers?
5. For how long would Rebecca have her hair brushed?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)