|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The tenor of his conversation at lunch makes it clear that Maxim . . .
(a) is becoming tired of his wife.
(b) does not admire deceit.
(c) looks forward to the time his wife becomes more sophisticated.
(d) is hungry.
2. How long ago did the narrator last use her dressing-case?
(a) Three months.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) A year.
(d) Four months.
3. What reason does Mrs Danvers give for her deception over the ball dress?
(a) She says it is something Rebecca would have done.
(b) She wanted revenge because she believes Mrs. de Winter told her husband of Jack Favell's visit.
(c) She likes the feeling of power.
(d) She thinks Mrs. de Winter is a weak fool and therefore fair game.
4. Why are the shops in Layton closed?
(a) It is early closing day.
(b) It is Sunday.
(c) As a mark of respect to Rebecca.
(d) The shopowners have all gone to the inquest.
5. What is the name of the game the narrator feels is being played with Mrs. Danvers?
(b) Old Witch.
(c) Spicks and Soecks.
(d) Old Bailey.
6. What does she believe about her relationship with Maxim?
(a) She believes she will need to work hard to get through the crisis.
(b) She believes her marriage has failed after three months.
(c) She believes the problems will blow over.
(d) That it is over and the divorce settlement will make her rich.
7. Why is Beatrice unable to visit?
(a) She has to nurse Giles and Roger.
(b) The family is in quarantine due to the measles.
(c) She is too embarrassed.
(d) She has the measles.
8. What is Beatrice's theory about the holes in Rebecca's boat?
(a) She doesn't believe there were any holes in the boat.
(b) She thinks Communists were responsible.
(c) She thinks Maxim was responsible.
(d) She thinks Ben probably did it.
9. What is Mr Tubb's opinion about the boat's sinking?
(a) He says Rebecca was unusually careless.
(b) He says someone tampered with the boat when it was moored.
(c) He says part of the hull was sawn off.
(d) He says it was deliberately scuttled.
10. What does Colonel Julyan say about blackmail?
(a) It is simple, but not pure.
(b) It is neither pure nor simple.
(c) It is pure and simple.
(d) It is a way to become rich.
11. What does Dr Baker reveal?
(a) That Rebecca needed an operation for a malformed uterus.
(b) That Rebecca was pregnant.
(c) That Rebecca had terminal cancer.
(d) That Rebecca had a serious heart condition.
12. What does the narrator not want her husband to know?
(a) That she visited his grandmother.
(b) That the nurse is not looking after his grandmother properly.
(c) That Beatrice endangered her life in the car.
(d) The way his grandmother behaved, wanting Rebecca.
13. Who is Captain Searle?
(a) An army reservist and magistrate.
(b) The harbormaster at Kerrith.
(c) The diver.
(d) The captain of the foundered vessel.
14. What is the "frightful word of six letters" to which the narrator refers?
15. What does Frank consider to be a universal instinct?
(a) To dress up in some sort of disguise.
(b) To disguise intentions if feeling threatened.
(c) To kill enemies.
(d) To dress up and get drunk at parties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the coverlet on Rebecca's bed?
2. Who announces the arrival of Maxim's car?
3. What do the rockets indicate?
4. Where does the narrator stand to watch the drama of the grounded ship?
5. In what way does the narrator find Frank Crawley invaluable?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)