|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maxim tell his wife to do?
(a) To go upstairs and stay there out of sight.
(b) To fetch Mrs. Danvers.
(c) Accompany him to the library.
(d) To go and get changed before anyone arrives.
2. In what area of London does Dr Baker live?
(a) Palmers Green in North London.
(b) Barnet in North London.
(c) Maida Vale in Central London.
3. For how long would Rebecca have her hair brushed?
(a) Fifteen minutes.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) Thirty minutes.
4. What does Frank consider to be a universal instinct?
(a) To dress up and get drunk at parties.
(b) To dress up in some sort of disguise.
(c) To disguise intentions if feeling threatened.
(d) To kill enemies.
5. What does the narrator realize about Frank?
(a) That he no longer believes in Maxim.
(b) That he knows Maxim killed Rebecca.
(c) That he is in love with her.
(d) That he will betray Maxim.
6. What does Beatrice suggest the narrator do in the morning?
(a) She should have a good lie-in, with breakfast in bed.
(b) She should apologize to Maxim.
(c) She should get up early and talk to Max.
(d) She should sack Mrs. Danvers.
7. Who instructs Mrs. Danvers to lock Maxim and his wife in their room for the night?
(a) Maxim de Winter.
(b) Colonel Julyan.
(c) Mrs de Winter.
(d) Jack Favell.
8. What does the narrator's dream suggest?
(a) That she would like to be Rebecca.
(b) That she likes walking in the forest.
(c) That she is spooked by Mrs. Danvers.
(d) That she is insecure about Maxim's feelings for her.
9. In what way does the narrator find Frank Crawley invaluable?
(a) He teaches her to ride.
(b) He conducts an inspection of Happy Valley.
(c) He helps her with accounts.
(d) He helps her serve tea to the many visitors.
10. What does she believe about her relationship with Maxim?
(a) She believes the problems will blow over.
(b) She believes she will need to work hard to get through the crisis.
(c) She believes her marriage has failed after three months.
(d) That it is over and the divorce settlement will make her rich.
11. What is the "frightful word of six letters" to which the narrator refers?
12. Why does Colonel Julyan not think it would help to write to the doctor about Rebecca's consultation?
(a) He would not give out confidential patient information in that manner.
(b) The doctor probably doesn't have the medical records, as he has retired.
(c) There is a postal strike.
(d) The doctor has moved house and might not receive the letter.
13. Who is the unexpected visitor that Frith announces?
(a) Jack Favell.
(b) Maxim's grandmother.
(c) The coroner.
(d) Rebecca's grandmother.
14. Ben offers the narrator some winkles. What are winkles?
(a) Small shellfish.
(b) A type of Cornish biscuit.
(c) Undersized fish.
(d) Berry fruits that grow in the forest.
15. What is Beatrice's theory about the holes in Rebecca's boat?
(a) She thinks Communists were responsible.
(b) She doesn't believe there were any holes in the boat.
(c) She thinks Maxim was responsible.
(d) She thinks Ben probably did it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Maxim misunderstood his wife to this point?
2. In her morning reverie, how does the protagonist/narrator depict life at Manderley?
3. What prevents Beatrice going to London with them all?
4. Who is Colonel Julyan?
5. Why are the shops in Layton closed?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)