|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ben offers the narrator some winkles. What are winkles?
(a) Small shellfish.
(b) Berry fruits that grow in the forest.
(c) Undersized fish.
(d) A type of Cornish biscuit.
2. Why are the shops in Layton closed?
(a) The shopowners have all gone to the inquest.
(b) It is Sunday.
(c) It is early closing day.
(d) As a mark of respect to Rebecca.
3. What is the narrator's first reaction to Maxim's confession that he killed Rebecca?
4. What shocks does Maxim claim to have suffered?
(a) The shock of seeing his new wife in Rebecca's dress.
(b) Learning he'd made a mistake in identificaton and finding out the boat was sunk on purpose.
(c) The discovery of the boat and the discovery of the body.
(d) His mistaken identification and his sister's illness.
5. Where is the narrator when she puts "out [her] hand and touche[s] the brushes"?
(a) In the garage where paints are stored.
(b) In Rebecca's room in the west wing.
(c) In an art studio where Rebecca once worked.
(d) In Mrs. Danvers' room.
6. For the narrator, what is the dreadful ending to the evening?
(a) Mrs. Danvers and Max laugh at her.
(b) Mrs. Danvers laughs at her.
(c) Max is weeping for Rebecca.
(d) Max does not come to bed.
7. Where does the narrator stand to watch the drama of the grounded ship?
(a) She stays in the house and looks out the window.
(b) She stays on the beach.
(c) She goes to the end of the breakwater, then goes to the clifftop.
(d) She stays on the clifftop.
8. What does the narrator realize about Frank?
(a) That he is in love with her.
(b) That he will betray Maxim.
(c) That he no longer believes in Maxim.
(d) That he knows Maxim killed Rebecca.
9. How is the narrator's entrance to the ball announced?
(a) Some loud chords on a piano.
(b) Via a trumpet fanfare.
(c) Via a drum roll.
(d) Frith calls for order and announces her.
10. What flower does a guest suggest the narrator represents, in her blue dress?
(a) A forget-me-not.
(b) An iris.
(c) Morning glory vine.
(d) A cornflower.
11. What costume does Maxim de Winter suggest his wife wear to the fancy dress ball?
(a) Alice in Wonderland.
(b) A Dresden shepherdess.
(c) Alice Perrers.
(d) Wonder Woman.
12. What is Mrs. Danvers doing as she tells Mrs. de Winter about the night Rebecca died?
(a) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's arm to the extent of bruising it.
(b) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's hands and is staring fiercely into her eyes.
(c) She is looking out the window at the sea below the house.
(d) She is pacing around the room like a mad thing.
13. What prevents Beatrice going to London with them all?
(a) Giles is ill and Beatrice is suspicious of the nurse.
(b) Roger wants her to watch him play cricket.
(c) Roger can't be left as he is sick and doesn't like the nurse.
(d) Her car is in for service.
14. What costume does Max choose for the ball?
(a) Max will be going as Riahard III.
(b) Max never wears fancy dress; he's in evening clothes.
(c) Max will be dressed as Julius Caesar.
(d) Max will be dressed as a shepherd.
15. What does Maxim ask Frank to do?
(a) To take his wife in to Lanyon.
(b) To take his wife back to Manderley.
(c) To wait at Manderley.
(d) To take Mrs. Danvers back to Manderley.
Short Answer Questions
1. How might Beatrice's driving be described?
2. What does Maxim's Gran believe are the three most important qualities in a wife?
3. What does Mrs. Danvers suggest to the narrator?
4. What are Maxim's dominant feelings about his years with Rebecca?
5. What was Rebecca's attitude to doctors?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)