|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which words best describe Beatrice's Christmas party?
(a) Boistrous, noisy, silly and messy.
(b) Boistrous in an elegant way.
(c) Noisy, and very drunken with fights breaking out.
(d) Elegant, organized, but rather stodgy.
2. What explanation does Maxim give for the shipping disaster?
(a) He believes the ship had tried to avoid smugglers.
(b) He believes the ship had not taken a pilot on board.
(c) He believes the ship's captain was drunk.
(d) He believes the ship mistook the bay for Kerrith Harbour.
3. What is the name of Rebecca's boat, as written on the name board?
(a) Je Reviens.
(b) Je t'aime.
(d) Jete, jete!
4. What do the rockets indicate?
(a) That a member of the Royal Family has died.
(b) That two ships have collided in the fog.
(c) That a ship has collided with the wharf and destroyed it.
(d) That a ship has gone ashore/run aground in the bay.
5. What does Colonel Julyan say about blackmail?
(a) It is simple, but not pure.
(b) It is pure and simple.
(c) It is neither pure nor simple.
(d) It is a way to become rich.
6. Why does Frank visit the vicar?
(a) To borrow his car.
(b) To ask him for dinner.
(c) To confess what he knows about the murder.
(d) To arrange Rebecca's burial.
7. How long ago did the narrator last use her dressing-case?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Four months.
(c) A year.
(d) Three months.
8. How is the narrator's entrance to the ball announced?
(a) Frith calls for order and announces her.
(b) Via a trumpet fanfare.
(c) Some loud chords on a piano.
(d) Via a drum roll.
9. Who discovers Baker's phone number?
(a) Jack Favell.
(b) Mrs. de Winter.
(c) Mrs. Danvers.
(d) Colonel Julyan.
10. What color dress does the narrator eventually wear top the ball?
11. The tenor of his conversation at lunch makes it clear that Maxim . . .
(a) is becoming tired of his wife.
(b) looks forward to the time his wife becomes more sophisticated.
(c) does not admire deceit.
(d) is hungry.
12. Where is the narrator when she puts "out [her] hand and touche[s] the brushes"?
(a) In the garage where paints are stored.
(b) In Rebecca's room in the west wing.
(c) In an art studio where Rebecca once worked.
(d) In Mrs. Danvers' room.
13. Why is a diver employed?
(a) To make a report on damage to the reef.
(b) To inspect the damaged hull of the ship.
(c) To look for survivors.
(d) To salvage items from the ship's safe.
14. What does Maxim tell his wife to do?
(a) To go upstairs and stay there out of sight.
(b) Accompany him to the library.
(c) To fetch Mrs. Danvers.
(d) To go and get changed before anyone arrives.
15. What costume does Max choose for the ball?
(a) Max will be going as Riahard III.
(b) Max will be dressed as Julius Caesar.
(c) Max never wears fancy dress; he's in evening clothes.
(d) Max will be dressed as a shepherd.
Short Answer Questions
1. On reflection about past events, what deduction does the narrator make?
2. Who is Colonel Julyan?
3. What does Rebecca imply during her final confrontation with Maxim?
4. How does the narrator feel about visiting Maxim's grandmother?
5. Who instructs Mrs. Danvers to lock Maxim and his wife in their room for the night?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)