|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maxim's Gran believe are the three most important qualities in a wife?
(a) Breeding, bearing and beauty,
(b) Archness, aristocracy and acumen.
(c) Breeding, brains and beauty.
(d) Fertility, feistiness and fearlessness.
2. What does Frank consider to be a universal instinct?
(a) To dress up in some sort of disguise.
(b) To kill enemies.
(c) To dress up and get drunk at parties.
(d) To disguise intentions if feeling threatened.
3. What does Colonel Julyan say about blackmail?
(a) It is neither pure nor simple.
(b) It is a way to become rich.
(c) It is simple, but not pure.
(d) It is pure and simple.
4. How does Max feel about speaking to the press?
(a) He doesn't want to make any statements.
(b) He only wants to make prepared statements.
(c) He thinks he needs them on his side.
(d) He is worried he might antagonize them.
5. What is Mr Tubb's opinion about the boat's sinking?
(a) He says someone tampered with the boat when it was moored.
(b) He says Rebecca was unusually careless.
(c) He says it was deliberately scuttled.
(d) He says part of the hull was sawn off.
6. For the narrator, what is the dreadful ending to the evening?
(a) Mrs. Danvers and Max laugh at her.
(b) Max is weeping for Rebecca.
(c) Mrs. Danvers laughs at her.
(d) Max does not come to bed.
7. What is depicted on the postcard set on the doctor's mantelpiece?
(a) A picture of Lake Geneva.
(b) A picture of the Venice Lagoon.
(c) A picture of Lake Como.
(d) A picture of Lake Constance.
8. How many people from the ship are drowned?
(c) Three hundred.
9. What costume does Maxim de Winter suggest his wife wear to the fancy dress ball?
(a) Alice Perrers.
(b) Alice in Wonderland.
(c) A Dresden shepherdess.
(d) Wonder Woman.
10. In what sort of mood is the narrator the morning after the fancy dress ball?
(a) She is tired and nervous.
(b) She is angry and depressed.
(c) She is in despair.
(d) She is exhausted.
11. As the storm approaches, to what does the narrator liken the sea?
(a) A duckpond.
(b) A black lake.
(c) A black snake.
(d) A blue lake.
12. In what area of London does Dr Baker live?
(b) Palmers Green in North London.
(c) Barnet in North London.
(d) Maida Vale in Central London.
13. What does Maxim tell his wife at last?
(a) That he adores Rebecca.
(b) That he is penniless.
(c) That he loves her.
(d) That he will soon come to love her.
14. Why is a diver employed?
(a) To look for survivors.
(b) To inspect the damaged hull of the ship.
(c) To salvage items from the ship's safe.
(d) To make a report on damage to the reef.
15. What is Mrs. Danvers doing as she tells Mrs. de Winter about the night Rebecca died?
(a) She is looking out the window at the sea below the house.
(b) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's hands and is staring fiercely into her eyes.
(c) She is pacing around the room like a mad thing.
(d) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's arm to the extent of bruising it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Colonel Julyan not think it would help to write to the doctor about Rebecca's consultation?
2. What reason does Mrs Danvers give for her deception over the ball dress?
3. What is Colonel Julyan's hope concerning Jack Favell?
4. What does Favell think will help Ben to remember him?
5. Which words best describe Beatrice's Christmas party?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)