|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Colonel Julyan?
(a) A famous lawyer from London.
(b) The magistrate for Kerrith.
(c) A distant relative of Rebecca's.
(d) The magistrate for Penwith.
2. In what area of London does Dr Baker live?
(b) Maida Vale in Central London.
(c) Palmers Green in North London.
(d) Barnet in North London.
3. According to Mrs. Danvers, why should Mrs. de Winter kill herself?
(a) Because Maxim does not love her, she's not happy and a misfit at Manderley.
(b) Max will never return to her because he really loves Rebecca.
(c) It will make Rebecca happy.
(d) She'll go to Heaven where there are no troubles.
4. What color is the coverlet on Rebecca's bed?
(a) Gold and Chinese red.
(b) Purple and gold.
5. Which words best describe Beatrice's Christmas party?
(a) Boistrous, noisy, silly and messy.
(b) Noisy, and very drunken with fights breaking out.
(c) Boistrous in an elegant way.
(d) Elegant, organized, but rather stodgy.
6. What does the narrator's dream suggest?
(a) That she likes walking in the forest.
(b) That she is insecure about Maxim's feelings for her.
(c) That she would like to be Rebecca.
(d) That she is spooked by Mrs. Danvers.
7. Why does the narrator tell Frank Crawley that Maxim did not come to bed?
(a) She wants him to find Max and intercede for her.
(b) She trusts him, so confides in him.
(c) She wants Frank to feel sorry for her.
(d) She is overwrought and blurts it out unthinkingly.
8. What is Mr Tubb's opinion about the boat's sinking?
(a) He says part of the hull was sawn off.
(b) He says it was deliberately scuttled.
(c) He says Rebecca was unusually careless.
(d) He says someone tampered with the boat when it was moored.
9. Why is Beatrice unable to visit?
(a) She has to nurse Giles and Roger.
(b) She has the measles.
(c) The family is in quarantine due to the measles.
(d) She is too embarrassed.
10. What are Maxim's dominant feelings about his years with Rebecca?
(a) His awe at Rebecca's beauty and cleverness.
(b) Knowing other man could have what he couldn't have.
(c) The shame of having to deceive his grandmother.
(d) The shame and degradation from living a lie.
11. Why does Colonel Julyan not think it would help to write to the doctor about Rebecca's consultation?
(a) There is a postal strike.
(b) The doctor has moved house and might not receive the letter.
(c) He would not give out confidential patient information in that manner.
(d) The doctor probably doesn't have the medical records, as he has retired.
12. What is Colonel Julyan's hope concerning Jack Favell?
(a) That he will be run over by a bus.
(b) That he will wake up to himself.
(c) That he will remember to bring Rebecca's note.
(d) That he has overslept.
13. How long ago did the narrator last use her dressing-case?
(a) Three months.
(b) Four months.
(c) A year.
(d) Four weeks.
14. What shocks does Maxim claim to have suffered?
(a) The shock of seeing his new wife in Rebecca's dress.
(b) The discovery of the boat and the discovery of the body.
(c) Learning he'd made a mistake in identificaton and finding out the boat was sunk on purpose.
(d) His mistaken identification and his sister's illness.
15. What is depicted on the postcard set on the doctor's mantelpiece?
(a) A picture of Lake Geneva.
(b) A picture of Lake Como.
(c) A picture of Lake Constance.
(d) A picture of the Venice Lagoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has tarnished the silver dresses?
2. Where is the narrator when she puts "out [her] hand and touche[s] the brushes"?
3. For how long would Rebecca have her hair brushed?
4. What do the rockets indicate?
5. What does the narrator realize about Frank?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)