|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the narrator when she puts "out [her] hand and touche[s] the brushes"?
(a) In the garage where paints are stored.
(b) In an art studio where Rebecca once worked.
(c) In Mrs. Danvers' room.
(d) In Rebecca's room in the west wing.
2. What does the narrator not want her husband to know?
(a) That the nurse is not looking after his grandmother properly.
(b) That she visited his grandmother.
(c) The way his grandmother behaved, wanting Rebecca.
(d) That Beatrice endangered her life in the car.
3. Who is Captain Searle?
(a) An army reservist and magistrate.
(b) The diver.
(c) The harbormaster at Kerrith.
(d) The captain of the foundered vessel.
4. What is the name of Rebecca's boat, as written on the name board?
(b) Je Reviens.
(c) Je t'aime.
(d) Jete, jete!
5. What does she believe about her relationship with Maxim?
(a) That it is over and the divorce settlement will make her rich.
(b) She believes her marriage has failed after three months.
(c) She believes she will need to work hard to get through the crisis.
(d) She believes the problems will blow over.
6. What does Rebecca imply during her final confrontation with Maxim?
(a) That she is pregnant with another man's child.
(b) That Maxim won't divorce her because she is pregnant.
(c) That Maxim is impotent.
(d) That she is pregnant with Maxim's child.
7. What does Maxim tell his wife to do?
(a) To fetch Mrs. Danvers.
(b) Accompany him to the library.
(c) To go upstairs and stay there out of sight.
(d) To go and get changed before anyone arrives.
8. How has Maxim misunderstood his wife to this point?
(a) He has thought his wife aloof, unhappy and bored because of their age difference.
(b) He has thought his wife might be in love with Frank.
(c) He has thought his wife was under the thumb of Mrs. Danvers.
(d) He has thought his wife was bored and unhappy because she hadn't yet become pregnant.
9. What costume does Max choose for the ball?
(a) Max never wears fancy dress; he's in evening clothes.
(b) Max will be dressed as a shepherd.
(c) Max will be going as Riahard III.
(d) Max will be dressed as Julius Caesar.
10. For how long would Rebecca have her hair brushed?
(a) Twenty minutes.
(b) Five minutes.
(c) Fifteen minutes.
(d) Thirty minutes.
11. What reason does Mrs Danvers give for her deception over the ball dress?
(a) She says it is something Rebecca would have done.
(b) She wanted revenge because she believes Mrs. de Winter told her husband of Jack Favell's visit.
(c) She likes the feeling of power.
(d) She thinks Mrs. de Winter is a weak fool and therefore fair game.
12. How might Beatrice's driving be described?
(a) Fast and skilful.
(b) Fast, but careful and relatively safe.
(c) Sensible, driving always at an appropriate speed.
(d) Fast, dangerous, not seeming to notice the chaos she causes.
13. The tenor of his conversation at lunch makes it clear that Maxim . . .
(a) is hungry.
(b) looks forward to the time his wife becomes more sophisticated.
(c) is becoming tired of his wife.
(d) does not admire deceit.
14. In what way does the narrator find Frank Crawley invaluable?
(a) He teaches her to ride.
(b) He helps her serve tea to the many visitors.
(c) He conducts an inspection of Happy Valley.
(d) He helps her with accounts.
15. In what sort of mood is the narrator the morning after the fancy dress ball?
(a) She is exhausted.
(b) She is tired and nervous.
(c) She is angry and depressed.
(d) She is in despair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colonel Julyan say about blackmail?
2. What has tarnished the silver dresses?
3. What does the narrator's dream suggest?
4. What is Beatrice's theory about the holes in Rebecca's boat?
5. What does Beatrice suggest the narrator do in the morning?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)