|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Maxim misunderstood his wife to this point?
(a) He has thought his wife was under the thumb of Mrs. Danvers.
(b) He has thought his wife aloof, unhappy and bored because of their age difference.
(c) He has thought his wife was bored and unhappy because she hadn't yet become pregnant.
(d) He has thought his wife might be in love with Frank.
2. What shocks does Maxim claim to have suffered?
(a) The discovery of the boat and the discovery of the body.
(b) His mistaken identification and his sister's illness.
(c) The shock of seeing his new wife in Rebecca's dress.
(d) Learning he'd made a mistake in identificaton and finding out the boat was sunk on purpose.
3. Who is the unexpected visitor that Frith announces?
(a) Jack Favell.
(b) Rebecca's grandmother.
(c) Maxim's grandmother.
(d) The coroner.
4. Which words best describe Beatrice's Christmas party?
(a) Elegant, organized, but rather stodgy.
(b) Boistrous, noisy, silly and messy.
(c) Noisy, and very drunken with fights breaking out.
(d) Boistrous in an elegant way.
5. What is the narrator's first reaction to Maxim's confession that he killed Rebecca?
6. Why is Beatrice unable to visit?
(a) The family is in quarantine due to the measles.
(b) She is too embarrassed.
(c) She has to nurse Giles and Roger.
(d) She has the measles.
7. Why are the shops in Layton closed?
(a) The shopowners have all gone to the inquest.
(b) It is Sunday.
(c) As a mark of respect to Rebecca.
(d) It is early closing day.
8. What is Colonel Julyan's hope concerning Jack Favell?
(a) That he will remember to bring Rebecca's note.
(b) That he will wake up to himself.
(c) That he has overslept.
(d) That he will be run over by a bus.
9. Why does Frank visit the vicar?
(a) To arrange Rebecca's burial.
(b) To borrow his car.
(c) To confess what he knows about the murder.
(d) To ask him for dinner.
10. What does the narrator's dream suggest?
(a) That she would like to be Rebecca.
(b) That she is spooked by Mrs. Danvers.
(c) That she is insecure about Maxim's feelings for her.
(d) That she likes walking in the forest.
11. In what area of London does Dr Baker live?
(b) Maida Vale in Central London.
(c) Palmers Green in North London.
(d) Barnet in North London.
12. For the narrator, what is the dreadful ending to the evening?
(a) Mrs. Danvers and Max laugh at her.
(b) Mrs. Danvers laughs at her.
(c) Max does not come to bed.
(d) Max is weeping for Rebecca.
13. What was Rebecca's attitude to doctors?
(a) She didn't trust them completely, but consulted them.
(b) She respected them.
(c) She was indifferent to them.
(d) She despised them.
14. What does Maxim ask Frank to do?
(a) To take Mrs. Danvers back to Manderley.
(b) To take his wife in to Lanyon.
(c) To take his wife back to Manderley.
(d) To wait at Manderley.
15. Why does the narrator tell Frank Crawley that Maxim did not come to bed?
(a) She wants Frank to feel sorry for her.
(b) She trusts him, so confides in him.
(c) She wants him to find Max and intercede for her.
(d) She is overwrought and blurts it out unthinkingly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How might Beatrice's driving be described?
2. In what sort of mood is the narrator the morning after the fancy dress ball?
3. For how long would Rebecca have her hair brushed?
4. What does Mrs. Danvers suggest to the narrator?
5. What is Mrs. Danvers doing as she tells Mrs. de Winter about the night Rebecca died?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)