|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frank visit the vicar?
(a) To confess what he knows about the murder.
(b) To borrow his car.
(c) To arrange Rebecca's burial.
(d) To ask him for dinner.
2. How many people from the ship are drowned?
(b) Three hundred.
3. What costume does Max choose for the ball?
(a) Max will be going as Riahard III.
(b) Max will be dressed as Julius Caesar.
(c) Max never wears fancy dress; he's in evening clothes.
(d) Max will be dressed as a shepherd.
4. What is Mr Tubb's opinion about the boat's sinking?
(a) He says part of the hull was sawn off.
(b) He says it was deliberately scuttled.
(c) He says Rebecca was unusually careless.
(d) He says someone tampered with the boat when it was moored.
5. For how long would Rebecca have her hair brushed?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) Fifteen minutes.
(c) Twenty minutes.
(d) Thirty minutes.
6. What does Frank consider to be a universal instinct?
(a) To dress up in some sort of disguise.
(b) To disguise intentions if feeling threatened.
(c) To dress up and get drunk at parties.
(d) To kill enemies.
7. Who announces the arrival of Maxim's car?
(b) Mrs. Danvers.
8. What does Colonel Julyan say about blackmail?
(a) It is a way to become rich.
(b) It is pure and simple.
(c) It is neither pure nor simple.
(d) It is simple, but not pure.
9. What has tarnished the silver dresses?
(a) Stale perfume of roses.
(b) A bottle of furniture polish.
(c) The azalea scent, turned stale.
10. What did Rebecca think of her lovers?
(a) She thought they gave her kudos.
(b) She adored them.
(c) She thought they were good providers.
(d) She laughed at them.
11. What is the narrator's first reaction to Maxim's confession that he killed Rebecca?
12. What is depicted on the postcard set on the doctor's mantelpiece?
(a) A picture of Lake Constance.
(b) A picture of the Venice Lagoon.
(c) A picture of Lake Como.
(d) A picture of Lake Geneva.
13. Who saw Rebecca leave the note at Favell's flat?
(a) Rebecca's chauffeur.
(b) The porter.
(c) A housemaid.
(d) A cab driver.
14. What story is circulated regarding Mrs. de Winter's dress?
(a) That the dressmaker sent the wrong dress.
(b) That the dress was ruined by the maid.
(c) That the dress was too big and had to be returned.
(d) That the dress was in the wrong color.
15. What does Maxim's Gran believe are the three most important qualities in a wife?
(a) Fertility, feistiness and fearlessness.
(b) Archness, aristocracy and acumen.
(c) Breeding, brains and beauty.
(d) Breeding, bearing and beauty,
Short Answer Questions
1. The tenor of his conversation at lunch makes it clear that Maxim . . .
2. What is the name of the game the narrator feels is being played with Mrs. Danvers?
3. In what sort of mood is the narrator the morning after the fancy dress ball?
4. How is the narrator's entrance to the ball announced?
5. On reflection about past events, what deduction does the narrator make?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)