|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Coroner say about Mr Tubb's workmanship?
(a) He says it is irrelevant.
(b) He says it is excellent and he would like him to work on his wife's boat.
(c) He condemns it as being responsible for the accident.
(d) He says it is excellent and was not to blame for the accident.
2. In what sort of mood is the narrator the morning after the fancy dress ball?
(a) She is tired and nervous.
(b) She is exhausted.
(c) She is in despair.
(d) She is angry and depressed.
3. What flower does a guest suggest the narrator represents, in her blue dress?
(a) A cornflower.
(b) A forget-me-not.
(c) Morning glory vine.
(d) An iris.
4. What is Beatrice's theory about the holes in Rebecca's boat?
(a) She thinks Ben probably did it.
(b) She thinks Maxim was responsible.
(c) She doesn't believe there were any holes in the boat.
(d) She thinks Communists were responsible.
5. How long ago did the narrator last use her dressing-case?
(a) Four months.
(b) Three months.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) A year.
6. Why does Frank visit the vicar?
(a) To borrow his car.
(b) To arrange Rebecca's burial.
(c) To ask him for dinner.
(d) To confess what he knows about the murder.
7. What does Rebecca imply during her final confrontation with Maxim?
(a) That Maxim won't divorce her because she is pregnant.
(b) That she is pregnant with Maxim's child.
(c) That she is pregnant with another man's child.
(d) That Maxim is impotent.
8. What does Maxim tell his wife to do?
(a) To go upstairs and stay there out of sight.
(b) To fetch Mrs. Danvers.
(c) Accompany him to the library.
(d) To go and get changed before anyone arrives.
9. Why is Beatrice unable to visit?
(a) The family is in quarantine due to the measles.
(b) She has the measles.
(c) She is too embarrassed.
(d) She has to nurse Giles and Roger.
10. What costume does Max choose for the ball?
(a) Max will be dressed as a shepherd.
(b) Max will be dressed as Julius Caesar.
(c) Max never wears fancy dress; he's in evening clothes.
(d) Max will be going as Riahard III.
11. Who discovers Baker's phone number?
(a) Colonel Julyan.
(b) Jack Favell.
(c) Mrs. Danvers.
(d) Mrs. de Winter.
12. Where does the narrator stand to watch the drama of the grounded ship?
(a) She stays in the house and looks out the window.
(b) She stays on the beach.
(c) She stays on the clifftop.
(d) She goes to the end of the breakwater, then goes to the clifftop.
13. What is the narrator's first reaction to Maxim's confession that he killed Rebecca?
14. What does Favell think will help Ben to remember him?
(a) A whipping.
(c) A good supper.
(d) The people at the asylum.
15. What does Dr Baker reveal?
(a) That Rebecca had terminal cancer.
(b) That Rebecca was pregnant.
(c) That Rebecca needed an operation for a malformed uterus.
(d) That Rebecca had a serious heart condition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colonel Julyan say about blackmail?
2. The tenor of his conversation at lunch makes it clear that Maxim . . .
3. Who saw Rebecca leave the note at Favell's flat?
4. Why is a diver employed?
5. Who is the unexpected visitor that Frith announces?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)