|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Favell want?
(a) To receive an annual income from Maxim, as blackmail.
(b) For Maxim to pay him a lump sum to go away.
(c) To give Maxim a note he received from Rebecca.
(d) Rebecca's money.
2. Who instructs Mrs. Danvers to lock Maxim and his wife in their room for the night?
(a) Colonel Julyan.
(b) Maxim de Winter.
(c) Mrs de Winter.
(d) Jack Favell.
3. Where does the narrator stand to watch the drama of the grounded ship?
(a) She goes to the end of the breakwater, then goes to the clifftop.
(b) She stays on the clifftop.
(c) She stays on the beach.
(d) She stays in the house and looks out the window.
4. What has tarnished the silver dresses?
(a) A bottle of furniture polish.
(b) Stale perfume of roses.
(d) The azalea scent, turned stale.
5. What are the qualities the narrator believes a person must have to be well-bred?
(a) An aristocratic pedigree.
(b) Pride and money.
(c) Pride and guts.
(d) A good accent and pride.
6. Why does Colonel Julyan not think it would help to write to the doctor about Rebecca's consultation?
(a) He would not give out confidential patient information in that manner.
(b) The doctor has moved house and might not receive the letter.
(c) There is a postal strike.
(d) The doctor probably doesn't have the medical records, as he has retired.
7. Who is the unexpected visitor that Frith announces?
(a) The coroner.
(b) Jack Favell.
(c) Rebecca's grandmother.
(d) Maxim's grandmother.
8. In what way does the narrator find Frank Crawley invaluable?
(a) He conducts an inspection of Happy Valley.
(b) He helps her serve tea to the many visitors.
(c) He helps her with accounts.
(d) He teaches her to ride.
9. Who discovers Baker's phone number?
(a) Mrs. Danvers.
(b) Colonel Julyan.
(c) Jack Favell.
(d) Mrs. de Winter.
10. What does Colonel Julyan say about blackmail?
(a) It is simple, but not pure.
(b) It is a way to become rich.
(c) It is pure and simple.
(d) It is neither pure nor simple.
11. What did Rebecca think of her lovers?
(a) She thought they were good providers.
(b) She adored them.
(c) She thought they gave her kudos.
(d) She laughed at them.
12. Why does Frank visit the vicar?
(a) To borrow his car.
(b) To confess what he knows about the murder.
(c) To arrange Rebecca's burial.
(d) To ask him for dinner.
13. What costume does Max choose for the ball?
(a) Max will be dressed as a shepherd.
(b) Max never wears fancy dress; he's in evening clothes.
(c) Max will be dressed as Julius Caesar.
(d) Max will be going as Riahard III.
14. What costume does Maxim de Winter suggest his wife wear to the fancy dress ball?
(a) Alice in Wonderland.
(b) Wonder Woman.
(c) A Dresden shepherdess.
(d) Alice Perrers.
15. What is Mrs. Danvers doing as she tells Mrs. de Winter about the night Rebecca died?
(a) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's arm to the extent of bruising it.
(b) She is looking out the window at the sea below the house.
(c) She has hold of Mrs. de Winter's hands and is staring fiercely into her eyes.
(d) She is pacing around the room like a mad thing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Max feel about speaking to the press?
2. What color dress does the narrator eventually wear top the ball?
3. Who announces the arrival of Maxim's car?
4. What does she believe about her relationship with Maxim?
5. What do the rockets indicate?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)