|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who opens the car door for the narrator?
(a) The butler.
(b) Mrs. Danvers.
(d) She opens it herself.
2. On what floor of the hotel building is Max's suite?
(a) It is on Level 148.
(b) It's on the second floor.
(c) It is on the third floor.
(d) It is on the seventh floor.
3. What special privilege does Max extend to the narrator?
(a) He allows her to call him Max.
(b) He allows/wants her to call him by his family's name for him: Maxim.
(c) He allows her to drive his car.
(d) He allows her to wear his coat.
4. Why is the meal with Mrs Van Hopper eaten in silence?
(a) Mrs Van Hopper is annoyed with Max de Winter.
(b) The narrator has nothing to say.
(c) Mrs Van Hopper likes to concentrate on the food.
(d) Mrs Van Hopper is keeping silence for Lent.
5. In what condition is the sofa-bed in the boathouse?
(a) It is stained with blood.
(b) It is ripped open
(c) It has been nibbled by mice and rats--not in good condition.
(d) It has been reupholstered.
6. How had they left the library door?
(b) Locked carefully.
(d) Half open.
7. What does Frank tell the narrator about Ben?
(a) That he wouldn't hurt a fly.
(b) That he will soon be taken to an asylum.
(c) That he wouldn't harm a child.
(d) That he was devoted to Rebecca.
8. What gives the impression of a church archway?
(a) Oak trees.
(b) Binsey poplars.
(c) Monster shrubs and plants.
(d) The mingled branches of beech trees.
9. In her dream, to whom does the narrator call?
(a) The lodge-keeper.
(b) Maxim de Winter.
(c) Mrs Van Hopper.
10. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
(a) They are the same age.
(b) She has never been in service before and has no alarming standards.
(c) She is a friendly, outgoing girl.
(d) She is experienced in service and very helpful.
11. In her dream of Manderley, the narrator stands . . .
(a) By an iron gate leading to the drive.
(b) By a wooden gate leading to the drive.
(c) At the window of Rebecca's room.
(d) At the door of the boatshed.
12. What interesting sight does the narrator remember seeing in Monaco?
(a) A crooked white building.
(b) A crooked house in a cobbled square.
(c) A ghostly figure in the sky.
(d) Prince Rainier driving with Princess Grace.
13. Why is the narrator rather shocked at herself?
(a) Because she feels free and happy with Max away in London.
(b) Because she spoke up to Mrs. Danvers.
(c) Because she played Hare and Hounds with the children.
(d) Because she took biscuits and fruit.
14. Of what is Ben afraid?
(a) He's afraid of Jasper.
(b) He's afraid of Maxim de Winter.
(c) He's afraid he will be put in an asylum.
(d) He's afraid he will lose his job.
15. What object does Ben attempt to hide from the narrator?
(a) A fishing line.
(b) A length of twine.
(c) A piece of wood.
(d) A box of matches.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beatrice greet the narrator?
2. In what colors is the buoy painted?
3. What color is the stone of which Manderley is built?
4. Who is Jasper?
5. What excuse does the narrator give to Mrs. Danvers?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)