|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose things are in the boathouse?
2. Why is the narrator rather shocked at herself?
(a) Because she feels free and happy with Max away in London.
(b) Because she spoke up to Mrs. Danvers.
(c) Because she took biscuits and fruit.
(d) Because she played Hare and Hounds with the children.
3. What does Mrs Van Hopper ask the narrator to fetch from her room?
(a) A letter from her daughter.
(b) A letter from her nephew.
(c) Her gloves.
(d) The train timetable.
4. What enjoyable holiday does the bishop's wife mention?
(a) A holiday in Australia.
(b) A holiday at Monte Carlo.
(c) A walking holiday in the Pennines.
(d) A trip on the Orient Express.
5. What fruit does the narrator anticipate being served at tea?
(a) Strawberries and cream.
(b) Fresh raspberries.
6. How does Beatrice greet the narrator?
(a) She looks at her coldly and extends a cold, moist hand.
(b) She shakes hands firmly.
(c) She kisses the narrator and shakes hands.
(d) She shakes hands and kisses the narrator on each cheek.
7. What did the narrator wear on her visit to the bishop's wife?
(a) Slacks and a tunic top.
(b) A skirt, twin set and pearls.
(c) Her flannel skirt.
(d) A frock.
8. Jasper is what breed of dog?
(a) A cocker spaniel.
(b) A King Charles spaniel.
(c) A corgi.
(d) A border collie.
9. What does Mrs. Danvers offer to do?
(a) To open up the rooms in the west wing and to take the narrator on a tour.
(b) To show the narrator how Rebecca organised her menus.
(c) To show the narrator where the stone passage is.
(d) To take the narrator downstairs.
10. What sort of car does Jack Favell drive?
(a) A red sports car.
(b) A Morris estate car.
(c) A Daimler.
(d) A green sports car.
11. What excuse does the narrator give to Mrs. Danvers?
(a) She says she has lost her way.
(b) She says she has lost her key.
(c) She says she is looking for a book.
(d) She says she has a headache.
12. What kind of flowers are in the morning room's vases?
(b) Pansies and clematis.
13. What object does Ben attempt to hide from the narrator?
(a) A fishing line.
(b) A length of twine.
(c) A box of matches.
(d) A piece of wood.
14. What is meant by "Jasper has gone to the happy hunting grounds"?
(a) Jasper is dead.
(b) Jasper is a good hunting dog.
(c) Jasper is out hunting for rabbits.
(d) Jasper is frisky.
15. What does the narrator read in Frank Crawley's eyes?
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is the narrator especially knowledgeable?
2. Of what is Ben afraid?
3. What interrupts Mrs Van Hopper's conversation with Max de Winter?
4. Who is responsible for attending to the narrator's letters?
5. Why is the meal with Mrs Van Hopper eaten in silence?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)