Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator react to Maxim's invitation to lunch with him?
(a) She is disturbed because he is flirting with her.
(b) She thinks he is just being polite and that her presence would spoil his lunch.
(c) She says nothing and goes quietly to his table.
(d) She is excited at being invited to lunch with someone so important.
2. What color is the stone of which Manderley is built?
3. What is the narrator's attitude to the age-gap between herself and Maxim?
(a) She thinks it is a big barrier to their happiness.
(b) She thinks Maxim is more like a father as he is so much older.
(c) She thinks age doesn't mean anything in marriage.
(d) She thinks it will matter in the future.
4. In what setting does the narrator think Max de Winter belongs?
(a) On the cover of a magazine like Tatler.
(b) At Palm Beach in Florida.
(c) In an imposing London bank building.
(d) A fifteenth century walled city.
5. Of what is Ben afraid?
(a) He's afraid he will be put in an asylum.
(b) He's afraid of Maxim de Winter.
(c) He's afraid he will lose his job.
(d) He's afraid of Jasper.
6. As she flees into the interior of the house, who does the narrator encounter in the passageway?
(b) A scullery maid.
(c) A housemaid.
(d) Mrs. Danvers.
7. Who is Jasper?
(a) A ferret.
(b) The narrator's cat.
(c) Maxim's dog.
(d) Rebecca's dog.
8. What does the narrator read in Frank Crawley's eyes?
9. How is Manderley's drive different from how the narrator imagined it?
(a) The gravel is red, not white.
(b) There are no trees lining it.
(c) It seems neglected, needs resurfacing.
(d) It is not wide and straight, but narrow and serpentine.
10. How does the narrator show she is nervous around the servants?
(a) She speaks to them in a tiny voice.
(b) She stutters when she speaks to them.
(c) She creeps around on tiptoe.
(d) She tells how her hands shake when she lights a cigarette.
11. In happier times, where did they take tea?
(a) On the beach.
(b) Under the chestnut tree.
(c) In the boathouse.
(d) In the rose garden.
12. What did the narrator do with the pieces of the figurine?
(a) She put them in a container on her desk.
(b) She put them in an envelope and hid them under her pillow.
(c) She put them in an envelope which she hid in her desk.
(d) She put them in her underwear drawer.
13. Why does the narrator think "ripping" is a poor word to describe her two weeks in Maxim's company?
(a) She avoids using slang words at all times.
(b) It's a shallow expression that doesn't convey the depth of happiness she has experienced.
(c) Her late father didn't like that expression.
(d) It's a word that is not grown-up enough for her.
14. Who is responsible for attending to the narrator's letters?
(a) Mrs. Danvers.
(b) Robert, the footman.
(c) Frith, the butler.
(d) Maxim de Winter.
15. How far away do Beatrice and Giles live?
(a) Two hundred miles away.
(b) Fifteen miles away.
(c) Forty miles away.
(d) Fifty miles away.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is the narrator especially knowledgeable?
2. Of what is Rebecca's vase made?
3. What annoys and astonishes Mrs Van Hopper?
4. What does Maxim tell Mrs Van Hopper about his valet?
5. What does the narrator believe to be inevitable in everyone's life?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)