|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From the woods, where does Maxim say the right-hand path leads?
(a) To a cove where they used to keep a boat.
(b) To some smugglers' caves.
(c) To Happy Valley.
(d) Back to Manderley.
2. Whose things are in the boathouse?
3. What is the narrator's attitude to the age-gap between herself and Maxim?
(a) She thinks it will matter in the future.
(b) She thinks Maxim is more like a father as he is so much older.
(c) She thinks age doesn't mean anything in marriage.
(d) She thinks it is a big barrier to their happiness.
4. In what condition is the sofa-bed in the boathouse?
(a) It is ripped open
(b) It has been nibbled by mice and rats--not in good condition.
(c) It is stained with blood.
(d) It has been reupholstered.
5. How does the narrator react to Maxim's invitation to lunch with him?
(a) She says nothing and goes quietly to his table.
(b) She thinks he is just being polite and that her presence would spoil his lunch.
(c) She is excited at being invited to lunch with someone so important.
(d) She is disturbed because he is flirting with her.
6. What quality of the narrator's does Maxim de Winter value?
(a) Her beautiful fingernails.
(b) Her unspoiled youth.
(c) Her ability to lie to Mrs Van Hopper.
(d) Her sophistication and dress sense.
7. What object does Ben attempt to hide from the narrator?
(a) A piece of wood.
(b) A fishing line.
(c) A box of matches.
(d) A length of twine.
8. For the narrator, what is the result of Mrs Van Hopper's illness?
(a) She learns some valuable lessons from the trained nurse.
(b) She gets two weeks of boredom.
(c) She gets two weeks of freedom.
(d) She gets the sack.
9. How does the narrator feel about playing bridge?
(a) She prefers it to chess.
(b) She thinks it's like Snap and Happy Families.
(c) She does not enjoy it.
(d) She thinks it suits her sharp mind.
10. What special privilege does Max extend to the narrator?
(a) He allows her to wear his coat.
(b) He allows her to drive his car.
(c) He allows/wants her to call him by his family's name for him: Maxim.
(d) He allows her to call him Max.
11. Jasper is what breed of dog?
(a) A corgi.
(b) A border collie.
(c) A cocker spaniel.
(d) A King Charles spaniel.
12. What excuse does the narrator give to Mrs. Danvers?
(a) She says she is looking for a book.
(b) She says she has lost her key.
(c) She says she has a headache.
(d) She says she has lost her way.
13. In happier times, where did they take tea?
(a) In the rose garden.
(b) In the boathouse.
(c) On the beach.
(d) Under the chestnut tree.
14. What does Maxim tell his wife about the east wing?
(a) It is pleasant and has a good view of the shrubbery.
(b) It is a good place to raise a family.
(c) It is more cheerful and has a lovely view of the rose garden.
(d) It is haunted and he never goes there.
15. In what colors is the buoy painted?
(a) Orange and white.
(b) Orange and green.
(c) White and green.
(d) Red, white and blue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is meant by "Jasper has gone to the happy hunting grounds"?
2. In her dream of Manderley, the narrator stands . . .
3. What comment does Maxim make about Beatrice?
4. Why is the narrator rather shocked at herself?
5. What does Maxim tell Mrs Van Hopper about his valet?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)