|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can moonlight do, according to the narrator?
(a) Moonlight can make you feel romantic.
(b) Moonlight can play odd tricks upon the fancy.
(c) Moonlight can scare you.
(d) Moonlight can reveal secrets.
2. What interesting sight does the narrator remember seeing in Monaco?
(a) Prince Rainier driving with Princess Grace.
(b) A ghostly figure in the sky.
(c) A crooked white building.
(d) A crooked house in a cobbled square.
3. How does Beatrice announce that she will be coming to lunch?
(a) She telephones Mrs Danvers.
(b) She telephones Maxim.
(c) In a postcard.
(d) In a letter.
4. Who opens the car door for the narrator?
(a) She opens it herself.
(c) Mrs. Danvers.
(d) The butler.
5. In her dream of Manderley, the narrator stands . . .
(a) By an iron gate leading to the drive.
(b) At the door of the boatshed.
(c) By a wooden gate leading to the drive.
(d) At the window of Rebecca's room.
6. In her dream, to whom does the narrator call?
(b) The lodge-keeper.
(c) Maxim de Winter.
(d) Mrs Van Hopper.
7. What lie about her morning activities does the narrator tell Mrs Van Hopper?
(a) She says she has been playing golf with the professional.
(b) She says she has been playing tennis with the professional.
(c) She says she went to the casino.
(d) She tells Mrs Van Hopper she went for a walk.
8. Which of these statements is true of Mrs Van Hopper?
(a) She is refined and courteous.
(b) She is assertive and interesting.
(c) She is pushy, tactless, insensitive and boring,
(d) She likes matchmaking.
9. What did the narrator wear on her visit to the bishop's wife?
(a) Her flannel skirt.
(b) A skirt, twin set and pearls.
(c) Slacks and a tunic top.
(d) A frock.
10. In happier times, where did they take tea?
(a) In the boathouse.
(b) In the rose garden.
(c) On the beach.
(d) Under the chestnut tree.
11. What fault in Mrs Van Hopper changes the narrator's destiny?
(a) Her terrible taste in shoes.
(b) Her snobbishness.
(c) Her greediness.
(d) Her loud voice.
12. From what illness is Mrs Van Hopper suffering?
13. At the time the narrator bought the postcard, how much was her weekly pocket-money?
(a) A dime.
(b) A shilling.
14. With what does Mrs Van Hopper compare Manderley?
(a) Buckingham Palace.
(b) Palm Beach.
(d) An Irish castle.
15. What Monte Carlo attraction will Mrs Van Hopper miss by leaving early?
(a) The Ballet.
(b) A opera performance.
(c) Her bridge club.
(d) A reception with the Grimaldis.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs Van Hopper misjudge the conversation with Maxim de Winter?
2. Why does the narrator value boredom?
3. How does the narrator define happiness?
4. From the woods, where does Maxim say the right-hand path leads?
5. What quality of the narrator's does Maxim de Winter value?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)