|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator respond to Maxim's note?
(a) She is shocked and destroys the note.
(b) She reads it but does not send a reply.
(c) She is excited and hides the note from Mrs Van Hopper.
(d) She reads it and replies at once.
2. What is meant by "Jasper has gone to the happy hunting grounds"?
(a) Jasper is frisky.
(b) Jasper is a good hunting dog.
(c) Jasper is out hunting for rabbits.
(d) Jasper is dead.
3. How long after her drowning was Rebecca's body found?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two days.
4. What can moonlight do, according to the narrator?
(a) Moonlight can scare you.
(b) Moonlight can reveal secrets.
(c) Moonlight can play odd tricks upon the fancy.
(d) Moonlight can make you feel romantic.
5. What is significant about the man the narrator meets on the beach?
(a) His clothes are ragged.
(b) He talks incoherently.
(c) He has a mental disability: he is an idiot in the true sense of the word.
(d) He looks like Maxim's evil twin.
6. How far away do Beatrice and Giles live?
(a) Fifty miles away.
(b) Forty miles away.
(c) Fifteen miles away.
(d) Two hundred miles away.
7. Overall, what does this description show the reader about Manderley?
(a) That it is a haunted ruin.
(b) That it is made of grey stone.
(c) That it is a ruin, but unhaunted.
(d) That it is not in England.
8. From the woods, where does Maxim say the right-hand path leads?
(a) To Happy Valley.
(b) To some smugglers' caves.
(c) Back to Manderley.
(d) To a cove where they used to keep a boat.
9. Who is Jasper?
(a) Rebecca's dog.
(b) Maxim's dog.
(c) The narrator's cat.
(d) A ferret.
10. What comment does Maxim make about Beatrice?
(a) She is a good person, but tactless.
(b) She is a good person but talks too much.
(c) She is tactless but a good hostess.
(d) She is a good rider.
11. How do the de Winters travel from London to Manderley?
(a) They take a train from Euston.
(b) They travel by car.
(c) They take the train from Victoria station.
(d) They travel by sailboat.
12. What enjoyable holiday does the bishop's wife mention?
(a) A walking holiday in the Pennines.
(b) A trip on the Orient Express.
(c) A holiday at Monte Carlo.
(d) A holiday in Australia.
13. What did the narrator do with the pieces of the figurine?
(a) She put them in an envelope which she hid in her desk.
(b) She put them in her underwear drawer.
(c) She put them in a container on her desk.
(d) She put them in an envelope and hid them under her pillow.
14. Who is responsible for attending to the narrator's letters?
(a) Maxim de Winter.
(b) Robert, the footman.
(c) Mrs. Danvers.
(d) Frith, the butler.
15. What does Maxim tell Mrs Van Hopper about his valet?
(a) He says he does not have a valet.
(b) He says that he overpays his valet.
(c) He says he does not like travelling alone and the valet is company.
(d) He says his valet gossips.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator find in the raincoat pocket?
2. Identify the figurative language in the phrase "lies like an empty shell."
3. What did the narrator wear on her visit to the bishop's wife?
4. What does the leather book contain?
5. Where does Maxim propose to take the narrator for their honeymoon?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)