|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What special privilege does Max extend to the narrator?
(a) He allows her to drive his car.
(b) He allows/wants her to call him by his family's name for him: Maxim.
(c) He allows her to wear his coat.
(d) He allows her to call him Max.
2. In what colors is the buoy painted?
(a) White and green.
(b) Orange and white.
(c) Red, white and blue.
(d) Orange and green.
3. What is the narrator's attitude to the age-gap between herself and Maxim?
(a) She thinks Maxim is more like a father as he is so much older.
(b) She thinks it will matter in the future.
(c) She thinks age doesn't mean anything in marriage.
(d) She thinks it is a big barrier to their happiness.
4. How is Manderley's drive different from how the narrator imagined it?
(a) There are no trees lining it.
(b) It is not wide and straight, but narrow and serpentine.
(c) It seems neglected, needs resurfacing.
(d) The gravel is red, not white.
5. How had they left the library door?
(a) Half open.
(b) Locked carefully.
6. How does the narrator show she is nervous around the servants?
(a) She creeps around on tiptoe.
(b) She tells how her hands shake when she lights a cigarette.
(c) She speaks to them in a tiny voice.
(d) She stutters when she speaks to them.
7. How long after her drowning was Rebecca's body found?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two months.
8. What Monte Carlo attraction will Mrs Van Hopper miss by leaving early?
(a) A opera performance.
(b) The Ballet.
(c) Her bridge club.
(d) A reception with the Grimaldis.
9. Whose things are in the boathouse?
10. What color is the stone of which Manderley is built?
11. What quality of the narrator's does Maxim de Winter value?
(a) Her unspoiled youth.
(b) Her beautiful fingernails.
(c) Her ability to lie to Mrs Van Hopper.
(d) Her sophistication and dress sense.
12. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
(a) They are the same age.
(b) She is a friendly, outgoing girl.
(c) She is experienced in service and very helpful.
(d) She has never been in service before and has no alarming standards.
13. From the woods, where does Maxim say the right-hand path leads?
(a) To some smugglers' caves.
(b) To Happy Valley.
(c) To a cove where they used to keep a boat.
(d) Back to Manderley.
14. What did the narrator wear on her visit to the bishop's wife?
(a) A skirt, twin set and pearls.
(b) Her flannel skirt.
(c) A frock.
(d) Slacks and a tunic top.
15. In what way does the narrator disobey her husband?
(a) She takes off her raincoat.
(b) She lets the dog run away.
(c) She puts Jasper on a leash.
(d) She goes looking for the dog Jasper.
Short Answer Questions
1. For the narrator, what gives "a glow about [her] morning"?
2. What is an appropriate word to use for the dream picture of Manderley's grounds and garden?
3. About what is the narrator especially knowledgeable?
4. Who does Max describe as being "invariably late for dinner"?
5. How far away do Beatrice and Giles live?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)