|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of car does Jack Favell drive?
(a) A Morris estate car.
(b) A red sports car.
(c) A Daimler.
(d) A green sports car.
2. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
(a) Gaucho-influenced fashion.
(b) A type of flower.
3. What object is Robert suspected of stealing?
(a) A china cupid figurine.
(b) An alabaster vase belonging to Rebecca.
(c) A small painting.
(d) A statue of Neptune taming a seahorse.
4. What is an appropriate word to use for the dream picture of Manderley's grounds and garden?
5. As she flees into the interior of the house, who does the narrator encounter in the passageway?
(b) A housemaid.
(c) Mrs. Danvers.
(d) A scullery maid.
6. What does Maxim tell Mrs Van Hopper about his valet?
(a) He says he does not like travelling alone and the valet is company.
(b) He says his valet gossips.
(c) He says that he overpays his valet.
(d) He says he does not have a valet.
7. In what way does the narrator disobey her husband?
(a) She takes off her raincoat.
(b) She lets the dog run away.
(c) She puts Jasper on a leash.
(d) She goes looking for the dog Jasper.
8. What was the quality of Mrs Danvers' smile?
9. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
(a) She is a friendly, outgoing girl.
(b) She is experienced in service and very helpful.
(c) She has never been in service before and has no alarming standards.
(d) They are the same age.
10. Where is the narrator when Jack Favell discovers her?
(a) Behind her study door.
(b) Behind the door to the morning room.
(c) In the stone passageway.
(d) In the cottage.
11. In her former life, about what was the narrator sometimes worried?
(a) The poor quality of food at Manderley.
(b) The difficulty of getting good servants.
(c) The waste of food at Manderley.
(d) The waste of angel cake at Manderley.
12. What kind of flowers are in the morning room's vases?
(b) Pansies and clematis.
13. On what floor of the hotel building is Max's suite?
(a) It's on the second floor.
(b) It is on Level 148.
(c) It is on the seventh floor.
(d) It is on the third floor.
14. Of what does Mrs Danvers' face remind the narrator?
(a) A fox.
(b) A ferret.
(c) A skull.
(d) A ghost.
15. What does Frank think about the narrator?
(a) He thinks she is inexperienced and arrogant.
(b) He thinks that she is fresh, young and sensible.
(c) He thinks she is beautiful and shy.
(d) He thinks she is too young to manage Manderley.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator define happiness?
2. What annoys and astonishes Mrs Van Hopper?
3. In happier times, where did they take tea?
4. Why is the narrator rather shocked at herself?
5. What is meant by "Jasper has gone to the happy hunting grounds"?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)