|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what condition is the sofa-bed in the boathouse?
(a) It is ripped open
(b) It is stained with blood.
(c) It has been nibbled by mice and rats--not in good condition.
(d) It has been reupholstered.
2. Which things are permanent, according to the narrator?
(a) The bare little hotel bedroom and the dream.
(b) Fear and suffering.
(c) Manderley and Rebecca.
(d) The brown lilac and the Happy Valley.
3. In her dream, to whom does the narrator call?
(a) The lodge-keeper.
(b) Mrs Van Hopper.
(d) Maxim de Winter.
4. For the narrator, what gives "a glow about [her] morning"?
(a) The pleasure of wearing Max's coat.
(b) Getting away from Mrs Van Hopper.
(c) Her new makeup.
(d) The pleasure of driving in the car with Max.
5. What does the narrator find in the raincoat pocket?
(a) A monogrammed handkerchief.
(b) A bloodstained handkerchief.
(c) A monogrammed cigarette case.
(d) A note from Rebecca.
6. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
(a) She is a friendly, outgoing girl.
(b) She has never been in service before and has no alarming standards.
(c) She is experienced in service and very helpful.
(d) They are the same age.
7. Who does Max describe as being "invariably late for dinner"?
(a) King Ethelred the Unready.
(c) Mrs Van Hopper.
(d) King Alfred.
8. Who is responsible for attending to the narrator's letters?
(a) Robert, the footman.
(b) Mrs. Danvers.
(c) Frith, the butler.
(d) Maxim de Winter.
9. What Monte Carlo attraction will Mrs Van Hopper miss by leaving early?
(a) The Ballet.
(b) A opera performance.
(c) A reception with the Grimaldis.
(d) Her bridge club.
10. Who is Jasper?
(a) The narrator's cat.
(b) A ferret.
(c) Maxim's dog.
(d) Rebecca's dog.
11. Why does the narrator think "ripping" is a poor word to describe her two weeks in Maxim's company?
(a) Her late father didn't like that expression.
(b) It's a word that is not grown-up enough for her.
(c) It's a shallow expression that doesn't convey the depth of happiness she has experienced.
(d) She avoids using slang words at all times.
12. In what way does the narrator disobey her husband?
(a) She lets the dog run away.
(b) She puts Jasper on a leash.
(c) She goes looking for the dog Jasper.
(d) She takes off her raincoat.
13. How are the desk pigeonholes labeled?
(a) In copperplate engraving.
(b) In Mrs Danvers' handwriting.
(c) In Rebecca's handwriting.
(d) In typewritten courier font.
14. What was the quality of Mrs Danvers' smile?
15. Who first suggests the revival of the Manderley Fancy Dress ball?
(a) Beatrice Lacy.
(b) The wife of a bishop in a neighboring cathedral town.
(c) Mrs. Danvers.
(d) The bishop in a neighboring cathedral town.
Short Answer Questions
1. As she flees into the interior of the house, who does the narrator encounter in the passageway?
2. How does the narrator react to Maxim's invitation to lunch with him?
3. How does Beatrice announce that she will be coming to lunch?
4. What does Mrs. Danvers offer to do?
5. What excuse does the narrator give to Mrs. Danvers?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)