|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
(a) Gaucho-influenced fashion.
(d) A type of flower.
2. What did the narrator do with the pieces of the figurine?
(a) She put them in an envelope and hid them under her pillow.
(b) She put them in an envelope which she hid in her desk.
(c) She put them in a container on her desk.
(d) She put them in her underwear drawer.
3. What does Mrs Van Hopper think the narrator will like about New York?
(a) There will be boys, excitement and her own set of friends.
(b) The shopping in Bloomingdale's.
(c) Friends, the theatre and Central Park in June.
(d) There will be boys and jazz clubs.
4. What does the narrator find in the pocket of the car?
(a) Rebecca's gloves.
(b) A cache of love-letters.
(c) A well-thumbed novel.
(d) A book of poetry.
5. What quality of the narrator's does Maxim de Winter value?
(a) Her sophistication and dress sense.
(b) Her unspoiled youth.
(c) Her ability to lie to Mrs Van Hopper.
(d) Her beautiful fingernails.
6. In her dream, to whom does the narrator call?
(a) The lodge-keeper.
(b) Maxim de Winter.
(c) Mrs Van Hopper.
7. Jasper is what breed of dog?
(a) A corgi.
(b) A cocker spaniel.
(c) A King Charles spaniel.
(d) A border collie.
8. What did the narrator wear on her visit to the bishop's wife?
(a) Slacks and a tunic top.
(b) Her flannel skirt.
(c) A skirt, twin set and pearls.
(d) A frock.
9. What does Mrs Van Hopper ask the narrator to fetch from her room?
(a) The train timetable.
(b) A letter from her daughter.
(c) Her gloves.
(d) A letter from her nephew.
10. What interesting sight does the narrator remember seeing in Monaco?
(a) A ghostly figure in the sky.
(b) A crooked white building.
(c) Prince Rainier driving with Princess Grace.
(d) A crooked house in a cobbled square.
11. From what illness is Mrs Van Hopper suffering?
12. Where is the narrator when Jack Favell discovers her?
(a) Behind her study door.
(b) In the stone passageway.
(c) In the cottage.
(d) Behind the door to the morning room.
13. How does the narrator respond to Maxim's note?
(a) She is shocked and destroys the note.
(b) She reads it and replies at once.
(c) She reads it but does not send a reply.
(d) She is excited and hides the note from Mrs Van Hopper.
14. From the woods, where does Maxim say the right-hand path leads?
(a) To Happy Valley.
(b) Back to Manderley.
(c) To some smugglers' caves.
(d) To a cove where they used to keep a boat.
15. How is Manderley's drive different from how the narrator imagined it?
(a) There are no trees lining it.
(b) The gravel is red, not white.
(c) It seems neglected, needs resurfacing.
(d) It is not wide and straight, but narrow and serpentine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the narrator reminded of an English spring?
2. Which of these statements is true of Mrs Van Hopper?
3. In happier times, where did they take tea?
4. What object is Robert suspected of stealing?
5. What does the narrator believe to be inevitable in everyone's life?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)