|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maxim tell his wife about the east wing?
(a) It is haunted and he never goes there.
(b) It is pleasant and has a good view of the shrubbery.
(c) It is more cheerful and has a lovely view of the rose garden.
(d) It is a good place to raise a family.
2. Jasper is what breed of dog?
(a) A border collie.
(b) A King Charles spaniel.
(c) A corgi.
(d) A cocker spaniel.
3. At the time the narrator bought the postcard, how much was her weekly pocket-money?
(a) A dime.
(d) A shilling.
4. With what does Mrs Van Hopper compare Manderley?
(b) An Irish castle.
(c) Palm Beach.
(d) Buckingham Palace.
5. What comment does Maxim make about Beatrice?
(a) She is tactless but a good hostess.
(b) She is a good person, but tactless.
(c) She is a good rider.
(d) She is a good person but talks too much.
6. How is the narrator reminded of an English spring?
(a) By looking through her photograph album.
(b) Through conversations with Maxim.
(c) Through news of England on the radio.
(d) Through old copies of the magazine Field.
7. Which of these statements is true of Mrs Van Hopper?
(a) She likes matchmaking.
(b) She is assertive and interesting.
(c) She is refined and courteous.
(d) She is pushy, tactless, insensitive and boring,
8. What annoys and astonishes Mrs Van Hopper?
(a) Her realization that the narrator is happy in Europe.
(b) The difficulty of packing for the trip.
(c) Her realizaton that the narrator isn't excited about going to New York.
(d) That little Nancy might have appendicitis.
9. For the narrator, what is the result of Mrs Van Hopper's illness?
(a) She learns some valuable lessons from the trained nurse.
(b) She gets two weeks of boredom.
(c) She gets the sack.
(d) She gets two weeks of freedom.
10. What interrupts Mrs Van Hopper's conversation with Max de Winter?
(a) Mrs Van Hopper falls ill.
(b) A page-boy brings a letter for Maxim.
(c) A page-boy tells Mrs Van Hopper that a dressmaker is waiting.
(d) Max spills coffee all over the narrator.
11. How does Beatrice announce that she will be coming to lunch?
(a) She telephones Mrs Danvers.
(b) She telephones Maxim.
(c) In a postcard.
(d) In a letter.
12. Of what is Ben afraid?
(a) He's afraid he will be put in an asylum.
(b) He's afraid of Jasper.
(c) He's afraid he will lose his job.
(d) He's afraid of Maxim de Winter.
13. What object is Robert suspected of stealing?
(a) An alabaster vase belonging to Rebecca.
(b) A small painting.
(c) A china cupid figurine.
(d) A statue of Neptune taming a seahorse.
14. How does the narrator respond to Maxim's note?
(a) She is shocked and destroys the note.
(b) She is excited and hides the note from Mrs Van Hopper.
(c) She reads it and replies at once.
(d) She reads it but does not send a reply.
15. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
(b) A type of flower.
(c) Gaucho-influenced fashion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which birds remind the narrator of Manderley?
2. What can moonlight do, according to the narrator?
3. How had they left the library door?
4. Of what does Mrs Danvers' face remind the narrator?
5. How does the narrator feel about playing bridge?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)