|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator wear on her visit to the bishop's wife?
(a) Slacks and a tunic top.
(b) A frock.
(c) A skirt, twin set and pearls.
(d) Her flannel skirt.
2. What does Mrs. Danvers offer to do?
(a) To open up the rooms in the west wing and to take the narrator on a tour.
(b) To show the narrator how Rebecca organised her menus.
(c) To show the narrator where the stone passage is.
(d) To take the narrator downstairs.
3. How long after her drowning was Rebecca's body found?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two days.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two months.
4. Who opens the car door for the narrator?
(a) She opens it herself.
(c) The butler.
(d) Mrs. Danvers.
5. What does the narrator find in the raincoat pocket?
(a) A monogrammed handkerchief.
(b) A bloodstained handkerchief.
(c) A note from Rebecca.
(d) A monogrammed cigarette case.
6. What quality of the narrator's does Maxim de Winter value?
(a) Her unspoiled youth.
(b) Her ability to lie to Mrs Van Hopper.
(c) Her sophistication and dress sense.
(d) Her beautiful fingernails.
7. Which things are permanent, according to the narrator?
(a) The brown lilac and the Happy Valley.
(b) Fear and suffering.
(c) Manderley and Rebecca.
(d) The bare little hotel bedroom and the dream.
8. What fruit does the narrator anticipate being served at tea?
(a) Strawberries and cream.
(c) Fresh raspberries.
9. Overall, what does this description show the reader about Manderley?
(a) That it is not in England.
(b) That it is made of grey stone.
(c) That it is a ruin, but unhaunted.
(d) That it is a haunted ruin.
10. What sort of car does Jack Favell drive?
(a) A Morris estate car.
(b) A green sports car.
(c) A red sports car.
(d) A Daimler.
11. Who is Jasper?
(a) Rebecca's dog.
(b) Maxim's dog.
(c) The narrator's cat.
(d) A ferret.
12. From what illness is Mrs Van Hopper suffering?
13. Jasper is what breed of dog?
(a) A cocker spaniel.
(b) A corgi.
(c) A King Charles spaniel.
(d) A border collie.
14. Why does the narrator value boredom?
(a) She doesn't value it at all and is restless.
(b) It is a pleasant antidote to fear.
(c) It gives her time to write her novel.
(d) There'll be excitement later when she reads the cricket scores.
15. For the narrator, what is the result of Mrs Van Hopper's illness?
(a) She gets two weeks of freedom.
(b) She learns some valuable lessons from the trained nurse.
(c) She gets the sack.
(d) She gets two weeks of boredom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which birds remind the narrator of Manderley?
2. In what way does the narrator disobey her husband?
3. How is the narrator reminded of an English spring?
4. What does the narrator read in Frank Crawley's eyes?
5. Who does Max describe as being "invariably late for dinner"?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)