|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after her drowning was Rebecca's body found?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six months.
2. How does the narrator respond to Maxim's note?
(a) She is shocked and destroys the note.
(b) She reads it but does not send a reply.
(c) She reads it and replies at once.
(d) She is excited and hides the note from Mrs Van Hopper.
3. In what way does the narrator disobey her husband?
(a) She takes off her raincoat.
(b) She lets the dog run away.
(c) She goes looking for the dog Jasper.
(d) She puts Jasper on a leash.
4. What fruit does the narrator anticipate being served at tea?
(a) Strawberries and cream.
(c) Fresh raspberries.
5. Why is the meal with Mrs Van Hopper eaten in silence?
(a) Mrs Van Hopper is keeping silence for Lent.
(b) The narrator has nothing to say.
(c) Mrs Van Hopper likes to concentrate on the food.
(d) Mrs Van Hopper is annoyed with Max de Winter.
6. Which things are permanent, according to the narrator?
(a) The brown lilac and the Happy Valley.
(b) Fear and suffering.
(c) Manderley and Rebecca.
(d) The bare little hotel bedroom and the dream.
7. What interrupts Mrs Van Hopper's conversation with Max de Winter?
(a) Mrs Van Hopper falls ill.
(b) A page-boy brings a letter for Maxim.
(c) Max spills coffee all over the narrator.
(d) A page-boy tells Mrs Van Hopper that a dressmaker is waiting.
8. What does Frank tell the narrator about Ben?
(a) That he wouldn't harm a child.
(b) That he will soon be taken to an asylum.
(c) That he wouldn't hurt a fly.
(d) That he was devoted to Rebecca.
9. Where does Maxim propose to take the narrator for their honeymoon?
(c) New York.
10. What does Frank think about the narrator?
(a) He thinks she is beautiful and shy.
(b) He thinks she is inexperienced and arrogant.
(c) He thinks she is too young to manage Manderley.
(d) He thinks that she is fresh, young and sensible.
11. What comment does Maxim make about Beatrice?
(a) She is tactless but a good hostess.
(b) She is a good rider.
(c) She is a good person but talks too much.
(d) She is a good person, but tactless.
12. What did the narrator wear on her visit to the bishop's wife?
(a) Her flannel skirt.
(b) A frock.
(c) Slacks and a tunic top.
(d) A skirt, twin set and pearls.
13. What quality of the narrator's does Maxim de Winter value?
(a) Her beautiful fingernails.
(b) Her unspoiled youth.
(c) Her sophistication and dress sense.
(d) Her ability to lie to Mrs Van Hopper.
14. In happier times, where did they take tea?
(a) On the beach.
(b) In the boathouse.
(c) In the rose garden.
(d) Under the chestnut tree.
15. What is an appropriate word to use for the dream picture of Manderley's grounds and garden?
Short Answer Questions
1. What enjoyable holiday does the bishop's wife mention?
2. What is significant about the man the narrator meets on the beach?
3. How does the narrator show she is nervous around the servants?
4. How are the desk pigeonholes labeled?
5. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)