|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator's attitude to the age-gap between herself and Maxim?
(a) She thinks age doesn't mean anything in marriage.
(b) She thinks it is a big barrier to their happiness.
(c) She thinks it will matter in the future.
(d) She thinks Maxim is more like a father as he is so much older.
2. Why does the narrator value boredom?
(a) She doesn't value it at all and is restless.
(b) It gives her time to write her novel.
(c) It is a pleasant antidote to fear.
(d) There'll be excitement later when she reads the cricket scores.
3. How does the narrator respond to Maxim's note?
(a) She is excited and hides the note from Mrs Van Hopper.
(b) She is shocked and destroys the note.
(c) She reads it but does not send a reply.
(d) She reads it and replies at once.
4. What annoys and astonishes Mrs Van Hopper?
(a) The difficulty of packing for the trip.
(b) That little Nancy might have appendicitis.
(c) Her realization that the narrator is happy in Europe.
(d) Her realizaton that the narrator isn't excited about going to New York.
5. What does Mrs. Danvers offer to do?
(a) To take the narrator downstairs.
(b) To show the narrator how Rebecca organised her menus.
(c) To open up the rooms in the west wing and to take the narrator on a tour.
(d) To show the narrator where the stone passage is.
6. What does Maxim tell Mrs Van Hopper about his valet?
(a) He says he does not have a valet.
(b) He says that he overpays his valet.
(c) He says his valet gossips.
(d) He says he does not like travelling alone and the valet is company.
7. What is Maxim's attitude to his past life?
(a) He does not wish to remember it.
(b) It is a place full of sacred memories that he does not want to share.
(c) He wants to accept his mistakes and move on.
(d) He wants to talk about it to free himself from its ghosts.
8. How long after her drowning was Rebecca's body found?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two weeks.
9. What kind of flowers are in the morning room's vases?
(d) Pansies and clematis.
10. In her former life, about what was the narrator sometimes worried?
(a) The waste of angel cake at Manderley.
(b) The poor quality of food at Manderley.
(c) The difficulty of getting good servants.
(d) The waste of food at Manderley.
11. What does the narrator read in Frank Crawley's eyes?
12. Who first suggests the revival of the Manderley Fancy Dress ball?
(a) Beatrice Lacy.
(b) Mrs. Danvers.
(c) The bishop in a neighboring cathedral town.
(d) The wife of a bishop in a neighboring cathedral town.
13. What does the narrator find in the raincoat pocket?
(a) A monogrammed handkerchief.
(b) A bloodstained handkerchief.
(c) A monogrammed cigarette case.
(d) A note from Rebecca.
14. What quality of the narrator's does Maxim de Winter value?
(a) Her beautiful fingernails.
(b) Her sophistication and dress sense.
(c) Her ability to lie to Mrs Van Hopper.
(d) Her unspoiled youth.
15. From the woods, where does Maxim say the right-hand path leads?
(a) Back to Manderley.
(b) To a cove where they used to keep a boat.
(c) To Happy Valley.
(d) To some smugglers' caves.
Short Answer Questions
1. For the narrator, what gives "a glow about [her] morning"?
2. What is meant by "Jasper has gone to the happy hunting grounds"?
3. How does Beatrice greet the narrator?
4. What does the narrator believe to be inevitable in everyone's life?
5. How far away do Beatrice and Giles live?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)