|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what condition is the sofa-bed in the boathouse?
(a) It has been nibbled by mice and rats--not in good condition.
(b) It has been reupholstered.
(c) It is ripped open
(d) It is stained with blood.
2. What fault in Mrs Van Hopper changes the narrator's destiny?
(a) Her loud voice.
(b) Her terrible taste in shoes.
(c) Her snobbishness.
(d) Her greediness.
3. What does Mrs. Danvers offer to do?
(a) To open up the rooms in the west wing and to take the narrator on a tour.
(b) To take the narrator downstairs.
(c) To show the narrator where the stone passage is.
(d) To show the narrator how Rebecca organised her menus.
4. Where is the narrator when Jack Favell discovers her?
(a) Behind her study door.
(b) In the cottage.
(c) Behind the door to the morning room.
(d) In the stone passageway.
5. What kind of flowers are in the morning room's vases?
(c) Pansies and clematis.
6. Why does the narrator value boredom?
(a) It is a pleasant antidote to fear.
(b) There'll be excitement later when she reads the cricket scores.
(c) She doesn't value it at all and is restless.
(d) It gives her time to write her novel.
7. How does the narrator show she is nervous around the servants?
(a) She creeps around on tiptoe.
(b) She speaks to them in a tiny voice.
(c) She tells how her hands shake when she lights a cigarette.
(d) She stutters when she speaks to them.
8. How is the narrator reminded of an English spring?
(a) Through old copies of the magazine Field.
(b) Through news of England on the radio.
(c) By looking through her photograph album.
(d) Through conversations with Maxim.
9. What does the leather book contain?
(a) A yearly menu plan.
(b) Details about Rebecca's lovers.
(c) Detailed accounts.
(d) Details about guests at Manderley.
10. What is meant by "Jasper has gone to the happy hunting grounds"?
(a) Jasper is frisky.
(b) Jasper is out hunting for rabbits.
(c) Jasper is dead.
(d) Jasper is a good hunting dog.
11. What Monte Carlo attraction will Mrs Van Hopper miss by leaving early?
(a) A reception with the Grimaldis.
(b) The Ballet.
(c) Her bridge club.
(d) A opera performance.
12. Which birds remind the narrator of Manderley?
(b) Guinea fowl.
13. What object does Ben attempt to hide from the narrator?
(a) A fishing line.
(b) A length of twine.
(c) A piece of wood.
(d) A box of matches.
14. What can moonlight do, according to the narrator?
(a) Moonlight can scare you.
(b) Moonlight can reveal secrets.
(c) Moonlight can make you feel romantic.
(d) Moonlight can play odd tricks upon the fancy.
15. In what colors is the buoy painted?
(a) Orange and white.
(b) Orange and green.
(c) White and green.
(d) Red, white and blue.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what setting does the narrator think Max de Winter belongs?
2. How is Manderley's drive different from how the narrator imagined it?
3. From what illness is Mrs Van Hopper suffering?
4. What does Frank tell the narrator about Ben?
5. How does Beatrice greet the narrator?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)