Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From the woods, where does Maxim say the right-hand path leads?
(a) To some smugglers' caves.
(b) To Happy Valley.
(c) To a cove where they used to keep a boat.
(d) Back to Manderley.
2. Why does the narrator feel comfortable with her maid Clarice?
(a) She has never been in service before and has no alarming standards.
(b) They are the same age.
(c) She is experienced in service and very helpful.
(d) She is a friendly, outgoing girl.
3. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
(c) Gaucho-influenced fashion.
(d) A type of flower.
4. What gives the impression of a church archway?
(a) The mingled branches of beech trees.
(b) Binsey poplars.
(c) Monster shrubs and plants.
(d) Oak trees.
5. Why is the meal with Mrs Van Hopper eaten in silence?
(a) Mrs Van Hopper is keeping silence for Lent.
(b) Mrs Van Hopper likes to concentrate on the food.
(c) Mrs Van Hopper is annoyed with Max de Winter.
(d) The narrator has nothing to say.
6. Where is the narrator when Jack Favell discovers her?
(a) Behind the door to the morning room.
(b) In the cottage.
(c) Behind her study door.
(d) In the stone passageway.
7. What sort of car does Jack Favell drive?
(a) A green sports car.
(b) A Morris estate car.
(c) A Daimler.
(d) A red sports car.
8. Which birds remind the narrator of Manderley?
(a) Guinea fowl.
9. How long after her drowning was Rebecca's body found?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six months.
10. In what condition is the sofa-bed in the boathouse?
(a) It is stained with blood.
(b) It has been nibbled by mice and rats--not in good condition.
(c) It is ripped open
(d) It has been reupholstered.
11. What does Frank tell the narrator about Ben?
(a) That he will soon be taken to an asylum.
(b) That he wouldn't harm a child.
(c) That he wouldn't hurt a fly.
(d) That he was devoted to Rebecca.
12. What comment does Maxim make about Beatrice?
(a) She is a good rider.
(b) She is a good person, but tactless.
(c) She is tactless but a good hostess.
(d) She is a good person but talks too much.
13. In her former life, about what was the narrator sometimes worried?
(a) The waste of angel cake at Manderley.
(b) The poor quality of food at Manderley.
(c) The difficulty of getting good servants.
(d) The waste of food at Manderley.
14. What fruit does the narrator anticipate being served at tea?
(a) Fresh raspberries.
(c) Strawberries and cream.
15. What can moonlight do, according to the narrator?
(a) Moonlight can make you feel romantic.
(b) Moonlight can play odd tricks upon the fancy.
(c) Moonlight can scare you.
(d) Moonlight can reveal secrets.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Manderley's drive different from how the narrator imagined it?
2. Which of these statements is true of Mrs Van Hopper?
3. Why is the narrator rather shocked at herself?
4. How does Mrs Van Hopper misjudge the conversation with Maxim de Winter?
5. For the narrator, what is the result of Mrs Van Hopper's illness?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)