|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her former life, about what was the narrator sometimes worried?
(a) The difficulty of getting good servants.
(b) The waste of food at Manderley.
(c) The waste of angel cake at Manderley.
(d) The poor quality of food at Manderley.
2. How does Beatrice greet the narrator?
(a) She looks at her coldly and extends a cold, moist hand.
(b) She shakes hands firmly.
(c) She kisses the narrator and shakes hands.
(d) She shakes hands and kisses the narrator on each cheek.
3. Of what is Ben afraid?
(a) He's afraid of Maxim de Winter.
(b) He's afraid he will lose his job.
(c) He's afraid he will be put in an asylum.
(d) He's afraid of Jasper.
4. How does the narrator react to Maxim's invitation to lunch with him?
(a) She thinks he is just being polite and that her presence would spoil his lunch.
(b) She is disturbed because he is flirting with her.
(c) She is excited at being invited to lunch with someone so important.
(d) She says nothing and goes quietly to his table.
5. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
(a) A type of flower.
(d) Gaucho-influenced fashion.
6. What excuse does the narrator give to Mrs. Danvers?
(a) She says she is looking for a book.
(b) She says she has lost her way.
(c) She says she has lost her key.
(d) She says she has a headache.
7. For the narrator, what is the result of Mrs Van Hopper's illness?
(a) She gets two weeks of freedom.
(b) She gets the sack.
(c) She learns some valuable lessons from the trained nurse.
(d) She gets two weeks of boredom.
8. Which birds remind the narrator of Manderley?
(c) Guinea fowl.
9. How far away do Beatrice and Giles live?
(a) Forty miles away.
(b) Fifty miles away.
(c) Two hundred miles away.
(d) Fifteen miles away.
10. How does the narrator respond to Maxim's note?
(a) She reads it but does not send a reply.
(b) She is excited and hides the note from Mrs Van Hopper.
(c) She is shocked and destroys the note.
(d) She reads it and replies at once.
11. Where does Maxim propose to take the narrator for their honeymoon?
(c) New York.
12. What is the narrator's attitude to the age-gap between herself and Maxim?
(a) She thinks Maxim is more like a father as he is so much older.
(b) She thinks it will matter in the future.
(c) She thinks it is a big barrier to their happiness.
(d) She thinks age doesn't mean anything in marriage.
13. What does Frank tell the narrator about Ben?
(a) That he wouldn't hurt a fly.
(b) That he will soon be taken to an asylum.
(c) That he wouldn't harm a child.
(d) That he was devoted to Rebecca.
14. Whose things are in the boathouse?
15. What fault in Mrs Van Hopper changes the narrator's destiny?
(a) Her loud voice.
(b) Her terrible taste in shoes.
(c) Her snobbishness.
(d) Her greediness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives the impression of a church archway?
2. What is meant by "Jasper has gone to the happy hunting grounds"?
3. For the narrator, what gives "a glow about [her] morning"?
4. What enjoyable holiday does the bishop's wife mention?
5. What did the narrator do with the pieces of the figurine?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)