|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what colors is the buoy painted?
(a) Orange and white.
(b) White and green.
(c) Red, white and blue.
(d) Orange and green.
2. What is it that the narrator describes as like a dark hand?
(a) A cloud in front of the moon.
(b) The hand of Rebecca.
(c) The trees moving in the wind.
(d) The paw of a large dog.
3. What Monte Carlo attraction will Mrs Van Hopper miss by leaving early?
(a) A opera performance.
(b) The Ballet.
(c) A reception with the Grimaldis.
(d) Her bridge club.
4. What does the narrator find in the raincoat pocket?
(a) A bloodstained handkerchief.
(b) A note from Rebecca.
(c) A monogrammed handkerchief.
(d) A monogrammed cigarette case.
5. What is meant by "Jasper has gone to the happy hunting grounds"?
(a) Jasper is dead.
(b) Jasper is out hunting for rabbits.
(c) Jasper is a good hunting dog.
(d) Jasper is frisky.
6. What fault in Mrs Van Hopper changes the narrator's destiny?
(a) Her greediness.
(b) Her terrible taste in shoes.
(c) Her snobbishness.
(d) Her loud voice.
7. Which of these statements is true of Mrs Van Hopper?
(a) She likes matchmaking.
(b) She is assertive and interesting.
(c) She is refined and courteous.
(d) She is pushy, tactless, insensitive and boring,
8. Of what is Rebecca's vase made?
(b) Ming china.
(d) Poker work.
9. Who does Max describe as being "invariably late for dinner"?
(a) Mrs Van Hopper.
(b) King Alfred.
(d) King Ethelred the Unready.
10. Of what is Ben afraid?
(a) He's afraid he will lose his job.
(b) He's afraid of Jasper.
(c) He's afraid of Maxim de Winter.
(d) He's afraid he will be put in an asylum.
11. How does the narrator show she is nervous around the servants?
(a) She creeps around on tiptoe.
(b) She speaks to them in a tiny voice.
(c) She tells how her hands shake when she lights a cigarette.
(d) She stutters when she speaks to them.
12. What did the narrator do with the pieces of the figurine?
(a) She put them in an envelope which she hid in her desk.
(b) She put them in a container on her desk.
(c) She put them in an envelope and hid them under her pillow.
(d) She put them in her underwear drawer.
13. What sort of car does Jack Favell drive?
(a) A Morris estate car.
(b) A green sports car.
(c) A red sports car.
(d) A Daimler.
14. How does Beatrice greet the narrator?
(a) She looks at her coldly and extends a cold, moist hand.
(b) She shakes hands firmly.
(c) She shakes hands and kisses the narrator on each cheek.
(d) She kisses the narrator and shakes hands.
15. In her dream, to whom does the narrator call?
(a) The lodge-keeper.
(c) Maxim de Winter.
(d) Mrs Van Hopper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interesting sight does the narrator remember seeing in Monaco?
2. What fruit does the narrator anticipate being served at tea?
3. Why does the narrator think "ripping" is a poor word to describe her two weeks in Maxim's company?
4. What lie about her morning activities does the narrator tell Mrs Van Hopper?
5. How far away do Beatrice and Giles live?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)