|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jasper?
(a) Rebecca's dog.
(b) Maxim's dog.
(c) The narrator's cat.
(d) A ferret.
2. Overall, what does this description show the reader about Manderley?
(a) That it is not in England.
(b) That it is a haunted ruin.
(c) That it is made of grey stone.
(d) That it is a ruin, but unhaunted.
3. In what condition is the sofa-bed in the boathouse?
(a) It is stained with blood.
(b) It has been nibbled by mice and rats--not in good condition.
(c) It has been reupholstered.
(d) It is ripped open
4. Why is the meal with Mrs Van Hopper eaten in silence?
(a) The narrator has nothing to say.
(b) Mrs Van Hopper likes to concentrate on the food.
(c) Mrs Van Hopper is annoyed with Max de Winter.
(d) Mrs Van Hopper is keeping silence for Lent.
5. On what floor of the hotel building is Max's suite?
(a) It's on the second floor.
(b) It is on Level 148.
(c) It is on the seventh floor.
(d) It is on the third floor.
6. Who first suggests the revival of the Manderley Fancy Dress ball?
(a) Beatrice Lacy.
(b) The bishop in a neighboring cathedral town.
(c) Mrs. Danvers.
(d) The wife of a bishop in a neighboring cathedral town.
7. Of what is Ben afraid?
(a) He's afraid of Maxim de Winter.
(b) He's afraid he will lose his job.
(c) He's afraid he will be put in an asylum.
(d) He's afraid of Jasper.
8. How far away do Beatrice and Giles live?
(a) Fifty miles away.
(b) Fifteen miles away.
(c) Two hundred miles away.
(d) Forty miles away.
9. What comment does Maxim make about Beatrice?
(a) She is a good person, but tactless.
(b) She is tactless but a good hostess.
(c) She is a good person but talks too much.
(d) She is a good rider.
10. How does the narrator show she is nervous around the servants?
(a) She speaks to them in a tiny voice.
(b) She stutters when she speaks to them.
(c) She creeps around on tiptoe.
(d) She tells how her hands shake when she lights a cigarette.
11. In what colors is the buoy painted?
(a) Red, white and blue.
(b) White and green.
(c) Orange and white.
(d) Orange and green.
12. To what does the word "gaucherie" refer?
(c) Gaucho-influenced fashion.
(d) A type of flower.
13. How long after her drowning was Rebecca's body found?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two days.
14. At the time the narrator bought the postcard, how much was her weekly pocket-money?
(b) A shilling.
(d) A dime.
15. What does the leather book contain?
(a) Detailed accounts.
(b) Details about Rebecca's lovers.
(c) A yearly menu plan.
(d) Details about guests at Manderley.
Short Answer Questions
1. From the woods, where does Maxim say the right-hand path leads?
2. What does Maxim tell Mrs Van Hopper about his valet?
3. What can moonlight do, according to the narrator?
4. How do the de Winters travel from London to Manderley?
5. What did the narrator do with the pieces of the figurine?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)