|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs Van Hopper misjudge the conversation with Maxim de Winter?
(a) She thinks Max was embarrassed by the narrator's behavior.
(b) She believes Max was flirting with the narrator.
(c) She believes Max thinks she is witty.
(d) She thinks Max is falling for her.
2. Overall, what does this description show the reader about Manderley?
(a) That it is made of grey stone.
(b) That it is a ruin, but unhaunted.
(c) That it is not in England.
(d) That it is a haunted ruin.
3. For the narrator, what is the result of Mrs Van Hopper's illness?
(a) She gets two weeks of boredom.
(b) She gets two weeks of freedom.
(c) She gets the sack.
(d) She learns some valuable lessons from the trained nurse.
4. What does Maxim tell Mrs Van Hopper about his valet?
(a) He says that he overpays his valet.
(b) He says he does not have a valet.
(c) He says he does not like travelling alone and the valet is company.
(d) He says his valet gossips.
5. In her dream of Manderley, the narrator stands . . .
(a) At the door of the boatshed.
(b) By a wooden gate leading to the drive.
(c) By an iron gate leading to the drive.
(d) At the window of Rebecca's room.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time the narrator bought the postcard, how much was her weekly pocket-money?
2. Identify the figurative language in the phrase "lies like an empty shell."
3. What interesting sight does the narrator remember seeing in Monaco?
4. In happier times, where did they take tea?
5. How does the narrator define happiness?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)