|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy's mother warn him to stay away from the person she warns him about?
2. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
3. What event is introduced at the local community hall?
4. Which two groups does the boy's mother find out were collaborating together?
5. On the day the boy earns his degree from university, when does he arrive home to tell the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does the boy's mother find out after Sergeant Burke dies that makes her angry?
2. Why does the boy's evening with Irene prove to be a disappointment?
3. What is the boy punished for by the Dean and what is his punishment?
4. What does Crazy Joe know about the mystery surrounding Eddie's death?
5. What does Father Nugent talk to the boy narrator about and why does it make him uncomfortable?
6. Why doesn't the boy reveal to his parents what he knows of Eddie's death?
7. Why is the boy again upset with his mother at the end of Chapter 5?
8. Why does the boy narrator find it important to his relationship with his mother that he keep her secret?
9. What is Sergeant Burke's purpose for going to the boy's mother and revealing all that he knows of Eddie's death?
10. Why is Crazy Joe such a valuable character to the story of Eddie's disappearance and death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the novel progresses, the mystery of Eddie's disappearance is pieced together by the boy narrator.
1. What does the boy learn about his family because of the family secret?
2. How has the boy's relationship with his parents changed as the secret has been revealed?
3. How has the boy's determination to find out the secret changed as the secret slowly becomes revealed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of secrets within the text. What kind of impact does secret-keeping have on the characters of the novel? How does it affect the plot as it progresses? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Does the boy narrator experience any form of catharsis in the novel? If so, what level of catharsis does he attain? Explain.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)