|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Larry meet on his way home from Grianan?
2. What passages of scripture does the boy find intriguing?
3. What event is introduced at the local community hall?
4. How does the boy's father die?
5. When do the boy's parents marry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of disappearance and death as themes in the novel?
1. Are these themes important to keeping the secret a mystery to the boy?
2. How does the story of Eddie's death change for the boy as more people disappear or die?
3. How are the stories told by the characters (Sean, Francis, Frances, Brigid, Claire Falkener, Grenaghan, etc.) all related to this theme of death and disappearance?
Essay Topic 2
If this story had happened in America, how might it change? What details would be different? What historical events in America might have affected the story? How might the characters behave differently?
Essay Topic 3
As the novel progresses, the mystery of Eddie's disappearance is pieced together by the boy narrator.
1. What does the boy learn about his family because of the family secret?
2. How has the boy's relationship with his parents changed as the secret has been revealed?
3. How has the boy's determination to find out the secret changed as the secret slowly becomes revealed?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)