|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the boy's mother afraid of her visitor?
2. What happens to the boy's mother in 1968?
3. Who was Jimmy in love with?
4. What eventually happens to Danno?
5. Where do the police help McIlhenny escape to after he was tipped off to the boy's grandfather in 1926?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy's mother say that upsets Katie?
2. Why does Katie's family refuse to attend Meave's wedding?
3. Why does the boy's evening with Irene prove to be a disappointment?
4. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
5. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
6. Why is the boy again upset with his mother at the end of Chapter 5?
7. What does Father Nugent talk to the boy narrator about and why does it make him uncomfortable?
8. Who is Danno Bredin?
9. What does Crazy Joe know about the mystery surrounding Eddie's death?
10. What does the boy believe about his loyalties to his parents as he sets off to college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Aunt Katie and the boy's mother.
1.) Why does the boy's mother react negatively toward Katie?
2.) Compare and contrast the women's behavior toward the boy narrator.
3.) Ultimately, they both experience the loss of the same man. How does it affect each of them?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the boy encounters and overcomes many difficult situations in order to piece together his family's history and to find out what happened to his uncle. The story is riddled with sadness, death, poor choices, and loss; how can this story be redeemed? Is there any hope in this story? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
If you were the boy narrator, would you have kept the information you found out about Eddie's death a secret? The boy narrator does not reveal to his mother what he knows; would you have done the same? What might have changed if the boy had told his mother what he knew?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)