|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told the boy the story of the man with the baby sock?
2. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
3. From whom does the boy's mother warn him to stay away in Chapter 6?
4. Which one of these characters does not know the truth about Eddie's death in Chapter 5?
5. What happens two days before the boy visits his parents in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy's mother say that upsets Katie?
2. Why doesn't the boy reveal to his parents what he knows of Eddie's death?
3. How does the boy conclude that it was his mother who tipped off McIlhenny?
4. Why does Katie's family refuse to attend Meave's wedding?
5. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
6. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
7. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
8. Why is Crazy Joe such a valuable character to the story of Eddie's disappearance and death?
9. What is the boy punished for by the Dean and what is his punishment?
10. What does the boy recall about "unconditional love"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters in the novel would be considered guides for the boy narrator? What do they teach him? Are they positive or negative mentors?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the boy encounters and overcomes many difficult situations in order to piece together his family's history and to find out what happened to his uncle. The story is riddled with sadness, death, poor choices, and loss; how can this story be redeemed? Is there any hope in this story? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
If you were the boy narrator, would you have kept the information you found out about Eddie's death a secret? The boy narrator does not reveal to his mother what he knows; would you have done the same? What might have changed if the boy had told his mother what he knew?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)