|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's mother do with the flower he gives her in Chapter 6?
2. What does the boy say is significant because of the mother's change?
3. What happens two days before the boy visits his parents in Chapter 6?
4. What does the boy conclude about his mother during Chapter 5?
5. What eventually happens to Danno?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Danno Bredin?
2. Why doesn't the boy reveal to his parents what he knows of Eddie's death?
3. What does the boy's mother say that upsets Katie?
4. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
5. How does his mother's inability to speak because of her stroke affect her relationship with the boy?
6. How does the boy conclude that it was his mother who tipped off McIlhenny?
7. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
8. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
9. How is the boy's mother's interpretation of the story of Sean and the baby sock a reflection on her own relationship with Tony McIlhenny and her role in Eddie's murder?
10. Why does Katie's family refuse to attend Meave's wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the boy's mother and father.
1.) How are they different in their treatments of the boy? How are they same?
2.) What parts of the family secret does each of them know?
3.) How do their behaviors change over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How might the story progress differently if told through the voice of another character? How does the young boy add to the story's mystery? What might we know differently if one of his parents narrated the story instead?
Essay Topic 3
If you were the boy narrator, would you have kept the information you found out about Eddie's death a secret? The boy narrator does not reveal to his mother what he knows; would you have done the same? What might have changed if the boy had told his mother what he knew?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)