Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's mother do with the flower he gives her in Chapter 6?
2. What happens to the boy's father right before he retires?
3. Where do the police help McIlhenny escape to after he was tipped off to the boy's grandfather in 1926?
4. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
5. What is Claire's last expression?
How might the story progress differently if told through the voice of another character? How does the young boy add to the story's mystery? What might we know differently if one of his parents narrated the story instead?
Throughout the novel, the boy encounters and overcomes many difficult situations in order to piece together his family's history and to find out what happened to his uncle. The story is riddled with sadness, death, poor choices, and loss; how can this story be redeemed? Is there any hope in this story? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Discuss the significance of silence in the novel.
1.) How and why does Larry McLaughlin stop talking? How does it affect the family secret?
2.) How and why does Brigid stop talking? What does this reflect on Larry's own silence?
3.) How and why does the boy's mother stop talking? How does this affect her inner turmoil?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)