|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his mother tells him much of the story of Eddie's death at the end of Chapter 5, why is the boy still hurt?
2. What happens to the boy's father right before he retires?
3. Why is the boy punished in 1954 by the Dean?
4. To whom is the boy attracted in Chapter 4?
5. At the very end of the book, what does the narrator think he hears as he is going down the stairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the boy's evening with Irene prove to be a disappointment?
2. What is important about the boy's reading of the story of Eddie's death in Irish?
3. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
4. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
5. How does the boy conclude that it was his mother who tipped off McIlhenny?
6. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
7. What does Father Nugent talk to the boy narrator about and why does it make him uncomfortable?
8. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
9. Who is Danno Bredin?
10. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Aunt Katie and the boy's mother.
1.) Why does the boy's mother react negatively toward Katie?
2.) Compare and contrast the women's behavior toward the boy narrator.
3.) Ultimately, they both experience the loss of the same man. How does it affect each of them?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters in the novel would be considered guides for the boy narrator? What do they teach him? Are they positive or negative mentors?
Essay Topic 3
Who do you think is ultimately responsible for Eddie's death?
1. Is it the hand that pulls the trigger or the hand that orchestrates it to happen?
2. Are multiple people to blame?
3. Is one person more guilty than another?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)