|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Father Nugent compare murder?
2. Who begins to visit the boy's mother regularly in Chapter 6?
3. What is Claire's last expression?
4. Who is Charlie McCabe?
5. After his mother tells him much of the story of Eddie's death at the end of Chapter 5, why is the boy still hurt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
2. What does the boy's mother say that upsets Katie?
3. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
4. What happens to Jimmy and Claire?
5. Why is the boy again upset with his mother at the end of Chapter 5?
6. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
7. What does the boy believe about his loyalties to his parents as he sets off to college?
8. How is the boy's mother's interpretation of the story of Sean and the baby sock a reflection on her own relationship with Tony McIlhenny and her role in Eddie's murder?
9. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
10. What does the boy mean when he says he has become the "plague himself" by wanting to know what had "plagued her"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the boy's mother and father.
1.) How are they different in their treatments of the boy? How are they same?
2.) What parts of the family secret does each of them know?
3.) How do their behaviors change over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
If this story had happened in America, how might it change? What details would be different? What historical events in America might have affected the story? How might the characters behave differently?
Essay Topic 3
Would it have been better if the mystery of Eddie's death was revealed earlier in the novel? How does the slowly unfolding mystery add to the boy narrator's character development? How does it shape him to become the man he grows up to be?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)