|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Father Nugent compare murder?
2. According to Chapter 6, what was Tony's job before he disappeared?
3. Who also visits the boy's parents as he is there in Chapter 6?
4. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
5. Who is Danno Bredin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the boy conclude that it was his mother who tipped off McIlhenny?
2. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
3. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
4. Why does the boy narrator find it important to his relationship with his mother that he keep her secret?
5. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
6. What does Father Nugent talk to the boy narrator about and why does it make him uncomfortable?
7. What is Sergeant Burke's purpose for going to the boy's mother and revealing all that he knows of Eddie's death?
8. Why does Katie's family refuse to attend Meave's wedding?
9. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
10. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How might the story progress differently if told through the voice of another character? How does the young boy add to the story's mystery? What might we know differently if one of his parents narrated the story instead?
Essay Topic 2
There are several symbols discussed in the novel. Discuss the use and meaning of disappearance, death, fire, and tradition.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Aunt Katie and the boy's mother.
1.) Why does the boy's mother react negatively toward Katie?
2.) Compare and contrast the women's behavior toward the boy narrator.
3.) Ultimately, they both experience the loss of the same man. How does it affect each of them?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)