|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man who always carried a baby sock in his small brown case?
2. Which of these statements about the local asylum is true?
3. To whom is the boy attracted in Chapter 4?
4. According to Chapter 6, what was Tony's job before he disappeared?
5. Who teaches the boy about sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jimmy and Claire?
2. Why is Crazy Joe such a valuable character to the story of Eddie's disappearance and death?
3. Why does the boy's evening with Irene prove to be a disappointment?
4. What does the boy believe about his loyalties to his parents as he sets off to college?
5. How does his mother's inability to speak because of her stroke affect her relationship with the boy?
6. Who is Danno Bredin?
7. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
8. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
9. What information does the boy's mother find out after Sergeant Burke dies that makes her angry?
10. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would it have been better if the mystery of Eddie's death was revealed earlier in the novel? How does the slowly unfolding mystery add to the boy narrator's character development? How does it shape him to become the man he grows up to be?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of disappearance and death as themes in the novel?
1. Are these themes important to keeping the secret a mystery to the boy?
2. How does the story of Eddie's death change for the boy as more people disappear or die?
3. How are the stories told by the characters (Sean, Francis, Frances, Brigid, Claire Falkener, Grenaghan, etc.) all related to this theme of death and disappearance?
Essay Topic 3
Who do you think is ultimately responsible for Eddie's death?
1. Is it the hand that pulls the trigger or the hand that orchestrates it to happen?
2. Are multiple people to blame?
3. Is one person more guilty than another?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)