|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the girl return Jimmy's affection?
2. Why will no one ever know what really happened to Eddie in the secret passageway of Grianan?
3. What is Claire's last expression?
4. The boy's mother's depression causes her to do what?
5. What information does Katie have over her sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Danno Bredin?
2. Why does the boy narrator find it important to his relationship with his mother that he keep her secret?
3. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
4. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
5. How does the boy conclude that it was his mother who tipped off McIlhenny?
6. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
7. What does Father Nugent talk to the boy narrator about and why does it make him uncomfortable?
8. What does the boy's mother say that upsets Katie?
9. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
10. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used multiple times in the novel. Cite three examples and show how they are used to indicate events that will happen later in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How might the story progress differently if told through the voice of another character? How does the young boy add to the story's mystery? What might we know differently if one of his parents narrated the story instead?
Essay Topic 3
Who do you think is ultimately responsible for Eddie's death?
1. Is it the hand that pulls the trigger or the hand that orchestrates it to happen?
2. Are multiple people to blame?
3. Is one person more guilty than another?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)