|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the boy's mother in 1968?
2. What version of the boy's story does he burn?
3. Who told the boy the story of the man with the baby sock?
4. Why does the boy's father threaten Crazy Joe in Chapter 6?
5. What happens to the boy's mother after she stops taking the medicine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
2. What does the boy recall about "unconditional love"?
3. Why is the boy again upset with his mother at the end of Chapter 5?
4. The boy's mother is saddened throughout the entire novel, but why does her depression set in after her grandfather dies?
5. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
6. Why does Katie's family refuse to attend Meave's wedding?
7. How does his mother's inability to speak because of her stroke affect her relationship with the boy?
8. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
9. Why does the boy's evening with Irene prove to be a disappointment?
10. Why is Crazy Joe such a valuable character to the story of Eddie's disappearance and death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Good vs. evil is an important theme in the novel. Show how three characters made the wrong decision in regards to Eddie's death and explain what they should have done differently.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the boy's mother deals repeatedly with depression as her role in Eddie's death is progressively revealed.
1. How is she involved in the mystery surrounding Eddie's disappearance?
2. How is her relationship with Tony McIlhenny a factor in her involvement?
3. Do you think she should feel guilty?
Support your answers with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of secrets within the text. What kind of impact does secret-keeping have on the characters of the novel? How does it affect the plot as it progresses? Explain.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)