Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's mother do with the flower he gives her in Chapter 6?
2. What happens to the boy's father right before he retires?
3. Where do the police help McIlhenny escape to after he was tipped off to the boy's grandfather in 1926?
4. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
5. What is Claire's last expression?
There are several symbols discussed in the novel. Discuss the use and meaning of disappearance, death, fire, and tradition.
Throughout the novel, the boy encounters and overcomes many difficult situations in order to piece together his family's history and to find out what happened to his uncle. The story is riddled with sadness, death, poor choices, and loss; how can this story be redeemed? Is there any hope in this story? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
If you were the boy narrator, would you have kept the information you found out about Eddie's death a secret? The boy narrator does not reveal to his mother what he knows; would you have done the same? What might have changed if the boy had told his mother what he knew?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)