Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's mother do with the flower he gives her in Chapter 6?
2. What happens to the boy's father right before he retires?
3. Where do the police help McIlhenny escape to after he was tipped off to the boy's grandfather in 1926?
4. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
5. What is Claire's last expression?
Essay Topic 1
Does the boy narrator experience any form of catharsis in the novel? If so, what level of catharsis does he attain? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How does the historical context of Northern Ireland affect the story itself? How does it affect the characters and the mystery of Eddie's death? Why is it important to know the historical context to fully understand the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Would it have been better if the mystery of Eddie's death was revealed earlier in the novel? How does the slowly unfolding mystery add to the boy narrator's character development? How does it shape him to become the man he grows up to be?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)