Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's mother do with the flower he gives her in Chapter 6?
2. What happens to the boy's father right before he retires?
3. Where do the police help McIlhenny escape to after he was tipped off to the boy's grandfather in 1926?
4. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
5. What is Claire's last expression?
What is the significance of disappearance and death as themes in the novel?
1. Are these themes important to keeping the secret a mystery to the boy?
2. How does the story of Eddie's death change for the boy as more people disappear or die?
3. How are the stories told by the characters (Sean, Francis, Frances, Brigid, Claire Falkener, Grenaghan, etc.) all related to this theme of death and disappearance?
As the novel progresses, the mystery of Eddie's disappearance is pieced together by the boy narrator.
1. What does the boy learn about his family because of the family secret?
2. How has the boy's relationship with his parents changed as the secret has been revealed?
3. How has the boy's determination to find out the secret changed as the secret slowly becomes revealed?
How does the historical context of Northern Ireland affect the story itself? How does it affect the characters and the mystery of Eddie's death? Why is it important to know the historical context to fully understand the novel?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)