|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens two days before the boy visits his parents in Chapter 6?
2. Which one of these characters does not know the truth about Eddie's death in Chapter 5?
3. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
4. An army chaplain comes to the school to talk to the boys about what?
5. What does the boy's mother say out-of-the-blue while he is washing dishes with his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Aunt Katie and the boy's mother.
1.) Why does the boy's mother react negatively toward Katie?
2.) Compare and contrast the women's behavior toward the boy narrator.
3.) Ultimately, they both experience the loss of the same man. How does it affect each of them?
Essay Topic 2
Would it have been better if the mystery of Eddie's death was revealed earlier in the novel? How does the slowly unfolding mystery add to the boy narrator's character development? How does it shape him to become the man he grows up to be?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used multiple times in the novel. Cite three examples and show how they are used to indicate events that will happen later in the novel.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)