|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the boy's parents meet?
2. Why does the boy not tell his mother everything he knows about Eddie's death?
3. Which character dies in 1959?
4. Who does Larry meet on his way home from Grianan?
5. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Crazy Joe know about the mystery surrounding Eddie's death?
2. How does the boy conclude that it was his mother who tipped off McIlhenny?
3. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
4. The boy's mother is saddened throughout the entire novel, but why does her depression set in after her grandfather dies?
5. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
6. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
7. What happens to Jimmy and Claire?
8. What information does the boy's mother find out after Sergeant Burke dies that makes her angry?
9. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
10. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the boy narrator experience any form of catharsis in the novel? If so, what level of catharsis does he attain? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of secrets within the text. What kind of impact does secret-keeping have on the characters of the novel? How does it affect the plot as it progresses? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the boy's mother and father.
1.) How are they different in their treatments of the boy? How are they same?
2.) What parts of the family secret does each of them know?
3.) How do their behaviors change over the course of the novel?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)