|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jimmy go to work for several years?
2. When does the boy's mother find out the truth about Eddie?
3. What does the boy's mother do with the flower he gives her in Chapter 6?
4. To whom does the baby sock belong?
5. Upon what does the Anglican army chaplain say communism is based?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
2. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
3. What is the boy punished for by the Dean and what is his punishment?
4. What happens to Jimmy and Claire?
5. What does Crazy Joe know about the mystery surrounding Eddie's death?
6. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
7. What is important about the boy's reading of the story of Eddie's death in Irish?
8. What is Sergeant Burke's purpose for going to the boy's mother and revealing all that he knows of Eddie's death?
9. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
10. What does the boy recall about "unconditional love"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were the boy narrator, would you have kept the information you found out about Eddie's death a secret? The boy narrator does not reveal to his mother what he knows; would you have done the same? What might have changed if the boy had told his mother what he knew?
Essay Topic 2
If this story had happened in America, how might it change? What details would be different? What historical events in America might have affected the story? How might the characters behave differently?
Essay Topic 3
There are several symbols discussed in the novel. Discuss the use and meaning of disappearance, death, fire, and tradition.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)