|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sergeant Burke want the situation with Eddie's death cleared up?
2. What happens to the boy's mother in 1968?
3. How long are Bernadette and Ena kept in the shed until the boy's father finds them?
4. To whom does the baby sock belong?
5. According to Chapter 6, what was Tony's job before he disappeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
2. What happens to Jimmy and Claire?
3. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
4. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
5. How does his mother's inability to speak because of her stroke affect her relationship with the boy?
6. Why doesn't the boy reveal to his parents what he knows of Eddie's death?
7. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
8. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
9. Who is Danno Bredin?
10. The boy's mother is saddened throughout the entire novel, but why does her depression set in after her grandfather dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the boy narrator experience any form of catharsis in the novel? If so, what level of catharsis does he attain? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Aunt Katie and the boy's mother.
1.) Why does the boy's mother react negatively toward Katie?
2.) Compare and contrast the women's behavior toward the boy narrator.
3.) Ultimately, they both experience the loss of the same man. How does it affect each of them?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the boy's mother and father.
1.) How are they different in their treatments of the boy? How are they same?
2.) What parts of the family secret does each of them know?
3.) How do their behaviors change over the course of the novel?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)