|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long are Bernadette and Ena kept in the shed until the boy's father finds them?
2. Who is Charlie McCabe?
3. To whom is the boy attracted in Chapter 4?
4. What version of the boy's story does he burn?
5. Why does the boy's father threaten Crazy Joe in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy's mother say that upsets Katie?
2. What information does the boy's mother find out after Sergeant Burke dies that makes her angry?
3. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
4. How does his mother's inability to speak because of her stroke affect her relationship with the boy?
5. What does Crazy Joe know about the mystery surrounding Eddie's death?
6. Who is Danno Bredin?
7. How does the boy conclude that it was his mother who tipped off McIlhenny?
8. Why is Crazy Joe such a valuable character to the story of Eddie's disappearance and death?
9. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
10. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used multiple times in the novel. Cite three examples and show how they are used to indicate events that will happen later in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Which characters in the novel would be considered guides for the boy narrator? What do they teach him? Are they positive or negative mentors?
Essay Topic 3
Does the boy narrator experience any form of catharsis in the novel? If so, what level of catharsis does he attain? Explain.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)