|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which section of the library does Crazy Joe frequent?
2. Why does the boy's father hit him in Chapter 3?
3. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
4. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
5. What does the boy's father do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the boy throw a rock at Sergeant Burke's police car?
2. Describe Crazy Joe.
3. Describe the boy's relationship with his mother.
4. Describe Grianan.
5. How do we see the boy react and respond to his circumstances in Chapter 1 instead of accepting them at face value?
6. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
7. When the boy's father takes him and his brother Liam out on the boat, what does his father reveal to them and why does it make the boy feel uncomfortable?
8. How is the motif of fire used in Chapter 3?
9. What memory does the boy have of an interaction between him and Crazy Joe?
10. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who do you think is ultimately responsible for Eddie's death?
1. Is it the hand that pulls the trigger or the hand that orchestrates it to happen?
2. Are multiple people to blame?
3. Is one person more guilty than another?
Essay Topic 2
Does the boy narrator experience any form of catharsis in the novel? If so, what level of catharsis does he attain? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Which characters in the novel would be considered guides for the boy narrator? What do they teach him? Are they positive or negative mentors?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)