|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the novel begin?
2. What does the boy's father do for a living?
3. Who tells the boy that some families are devil-haunted?
4. Who teaches the boy's math class?
5. How old was the boy's father when he was left in charge of the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Danno Bredin?
2. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
3. Why does the boy throw a rock at Sergeant Burke's police car?
4. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
5. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
6. What does Crazy Joe know about the mystery surrounding Eddie's death?
7. Describe the narrator.
8. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
9. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
10. What happens to Frances and Francis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who do you think is ultimately responsible for Eddie's death?
1. Is it the hand that pulls the trigger or the hand that orchestrates it to happen?
2. Are multiple people to blame?
3. Is one person more guilty than another?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Aunt Katie and the boy's mother.
1.) Why does the boy's mother react negatively toward Katie?
2.) Compare and contrast the women's behavior toward the boy narrator.
3.) Ultimately, they both experience the loss of the same man. How does it affect each of them?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters in the novel would be considered guides for the boy narrator? What do they teach him? Are they positive or negative mentors?
This section contains 1,440 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)