|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
2. What is the first physical change Francis and Frances encounter?
3. What is going to be built across the river?
4. What does the boy's father do for a living?
5. The famous shoot-out in 1922 was between which two groups of people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy's grandfather tell him right before he dies?
2. Why does the boy try to run away in Chapter 3?
3. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
4. Why is the boy uncomfortable with the sympathy he feels for the police after Rory Hannaway's death?
5. Why is Una's death seen as an outlet for the boy's mother?
6. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
7. Why is the boy narrator fond of Aunt Katie?
8. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
9. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
10. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the boy's mother and father.
1.) How are they different in their treatments of the boy? How are they same?
2.) What parts of the family secret does each of them know?
3.) How do their behaviors change over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Which parts of the story and characters of the novel do you identify with? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Good vs. evil is an important theme in the novel. Show how three characters made the wrong decision in regards to Eddie's death and explain what they should have done differently.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)