|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's father do for a living?
2. On what day do the Francis and Frances' parents die?
3. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
4. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
5. Who tells the boy that some families are devil-haunted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the motif of fire used in Chapter 3?
2. How can we see in Chapter 2 that the belief in the supernatural is a powerful force in Northern Ireland during this time?
3. The theme of disappearance is further discussed in Chapter 2. Explain.
4. The boy's mother is saddened throughout the entire novel, but why does her depression set in after her grandfather dies?
5. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
6. What information does the boy's mother find out after Sergeant Burke dies that makes her angry?
7. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
8. Describe Grianan.
9. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
10. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
Essay Topic 1
Which characters in the novel would be considered guides for the boy narrator? What do they teach him? Are they positive or negative mentors?
Essay Topic 2
Who do you think is ultimately responsible for Eddie's death?
1. Is it the hand that pulls the trigger or the hand that orchestrates it to happen?
2. Are multiple people to blame?
3. Is one person more guilty than another?
Essay Topic 3
Does the boy narrator experience any form of catharsis in the novel? If so, what level of catharsis does he attain? Explain.
This section contains 1,564 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)