|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
2. Why does the boy's father hit him in Chapter 3?
3. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
4. Where did the shoot-out of 1922 occur?
5. How does the boy describe how he got rid of the infestation in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy's grandfather tell him right before he dies?
2. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
3. Describe Grianan.
4. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
5. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
6. When the boy's father takes him and his brother Liam out on the boat, what does his father reveal to them and why does it make the boy feel uncomfortable?
7. Why is the boy uncomfortable with the sympathy he feels for the police after Rory Hannaway's death?
8. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
9. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
10. How can we see in Chapter 2 that the belief in the supernatural is a powerful force in Northern Ireland during this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of secrets within the text. What kind of impact does secret-keeping have on the characters of the novel? How does it affect the plot as it progresses? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Does the boy narrator experience any form of catharsis in the novel? If so, what level of catharsis does he attain? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Good vs. evil is an important theme in the novel. Show how three characters made the wrong decision in regards to Eddie's death and explain what they should have done differently.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)