|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the boy and his brother, Liam, are taken across the river by their father, what does his father's explanation about Eddie reveal to the boy?
2. Who is the heroine of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
3. Why is the boys' mother upset when they return from their boat ride across the river?
4. On what day do the Francis and Frances' parents die?
5. Who is Meave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
2. Describe the boy's relationship with his mother.
3. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
4. Why is the boy again upset with his mother at the end of Chapter 5?
5. How do we see the boy react and respond to his circumstances in Chapter 1 instead of accepting them at face value?
6. What does the boy's mother say that upsets Katie?
7. Why doesn't the boy reveal to his parents what he knows of Eddie's death?
8. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
9. When the boy's father takes him and his brother Liam out on the boat, what does his father reveal to them and why does it make the boy feel uncomfortable?
10. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
Essay Topic 1
How might the story progress differently if told through the voice of another character? How does the young boy add to the story's mystery? What might we know differently if one of his parents narrated the story instead?
Essay Topic 2
Would it have been better if the mystery of Eddie's death was revealed earlier in the novel? How does the slowly unfolding mystery add to the boy narrator's character development? How does it shape him to become the man he grows up to be?
Essay Topic 3
Which parts of the story and characters of the novel do you identify with? Why?
This section contains 1,546 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)