|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to both Brigid and Larry in Chapter 2?
2. How do the boy's father's parents die?
3. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
4. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
5. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
2. How do we see the boy react and respond to his circumstances in Chapter 1 instead of accepting them at face value?
3. Why is the boy uncomfortable with the sympathy he feels for the police after Rory Hannaway's death?
4. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
5. Describe Grianan.
6. What local belief surrounds the Field of the Disappeared?
7. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
8. Describe the narrator.
9. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
10. Why does the boy throw a rock at Sergeant Burke's police car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How might the story progress differently if told through the voice of another character? How does the young boy add to the story's mystery? What might we know differently if one of his parents narrated the story instead?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the boy's mother and father.
1.) How are they different in their treatments of the boy? How are they same?
2.) What parts of the family secret does each of them know?
3.) How do their behaviors change over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of disappearance and death as themes in the novel?
1. Are these themes important to keeping the secret a mystery to the boy?
2. How does the story of Eddie's death change for the boy as more people disappear or die?
3. How are the stories told by the characters (Sean, Francis, Frances, Brigid, Claire Falkener, Grenaghan, etc.) all related to this theme of death and disappearance?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)