|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
2. What happens to the distillery after the shootout?
3. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
4. Where did the shoot-out of 1922 occur?
5. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
2. Why is Una's death seen as an outlet for the boy's mother?
3. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
4. Why does the boy try to run away in Chapter 3?
5. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
6. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
7. How is the novel The Shan Van Vocht an example of female symbolism?
8. Describe the narrator.
9. What happens to Frances and Francis?
10. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used multiple times in the novel. Cite three examples and show how they are used to indicate events that will happen later in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Aunt Katie and the boy's mother.
1.) Why does the boy's mother react negatively toward Katie?
2.) Compare and contrast the women's behavior toward the boy narrator.
3.) Ultimately, they both experience the loss of the same man. How does it affect each of them?
Essay Topic 3
Would it have been better if the mystery of Eddie's death was revealed earlier in the novel? How does the slowly unfolding mystery add to the boy narrator's character development? How does it shape him to become the man he grows up to be?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)