|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
2. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
3. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
4. Why is the boys' mother upset when they return from their boat ride across the river?
5. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
2. How can we see in Chapter 2 that the belief in the supernatural is a powerful force in Northern Ireland during this time?
3. Describe Crazy Joe.
4. Describe the boy's relationship with his mother.
5. When the boy's father takes him and his brother Liam out on the boat, what does his father reveal to them and why does it make the boy feel uncomfortable?
6. Why is the boy uncomfortable with the sympathy he feels for the police after Rory Hannaway's death?
7. Describe the narrator.
8. Why does the boy try to run away in Chapter 3?
9. What causes the rat infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
10. The theme of disappearance is further discussed in Chapter 2. Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the boy narrator experience any form of catharsis in the novel? If so, what level of catharsis does he attain? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How does the historical context of Northern Ireland affect the story itself? How does it affect the characters and the mystery of Eddie's death? Why is it important to know the historical context to fully understand the novel?
Essay Topic 3
As the novel progresses, the mystery of Eddie's disappearance is pieced together by the boy narrator.
1. What does the boy learn about his family because of the family secret?
2. How has the boy's relationship with his parents changed as the secret has been revealed?
3. How has the boy's determination to find out the secret changed as the secret slowly becomes revealed?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)