|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
2. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
3. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
4. According to the local belief his father told the boy, who gathers at the Field of the Disappeared at Christmas and other festivals?
5. How do the boy's father's parents die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
2. How do we see the boy react and respond to his circumstances in Chapter 1 instead of accepting them at face value?
3. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
4. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
5. What happens to Frances and Francis?
6. Describe Grianan.
7. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
8. Describe Crazy Joe.
9. Why does the boy throw a rock at Sergeant Burke's police car?
10. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used multiple times in the novel. Cite three examples and show how they are used to indicate events that will happen later in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of silence in the novel.
1.) How and why does Larry McLaughlin stop talking? How does it affect the family secret?
2.) How and why does Brigid stop talking? What does this reflect on Larry's own silence?
3.) How and why does the boy's mother stop talking? How does this affect her inner turmoil?
Essay Topic 3
Which parts of the story and characters of the novel do you identify with? Why?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)