|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
2. How do the boy's father's parents die?
3. Which of the boy's relatives dies in October 1949?
4. Where does the boy's father work?
5. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the boy uncomfortable with the sympathy he feels for the police after Rory Hannaway's death?
2. Why does the boy throw a rock at Sergeant Burke's police car?
3. Describe Grianan.
4. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
5. What strong religious beliefs of his community does the boy share in the beginning of Chapter 1?
6. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
7. What local belief surrounds the Field of the Disappeared?
8. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
9. What happens to Frances and Francis?
10. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used multiple times in the novel. Cite three examples and show how they are used to indicate events that will happen later in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How does the historical context of Northern Ireland affect the story itself? How does it affect the characters and the mystery of Eddie's death? Why is it important to know the historical context to fully understand the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Good vs. evil is an important theme in the novel. Show how three characters made the wrong decision in regards to Eddie's death and explain what they should have done differently.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)