|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
2. Why does the boy's father hit him in Chapter 3?
3. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
4. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
5. What are the IRA gunmen protesting at the shootout at the distillery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
2. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
3. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
4. Why is the boy uncomfortable with the sympathy he feels for the police after Rory Hannaway's death?
5. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
6. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
7. Why is Una's death seen as an outlet for the boy's mother?
8. Why does the boy try to run away in Chapter 3?
9. What local belief surrounds the Field of the Disappeared?
10. What memory does the boy have of an interaction between him and Crazy Joe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the boy narrator experience any form of catharsis in the novel? If so, what level of catharsis does he attain? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used multiple times in the novel. Cite three examples and show how they are used to indicate events that will happen later in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How does the historical context of Northern Ireland affect the story itself? How does it affect the characters and the mystery of Eddie's death? Why is it important to know the historical context to fully understand the novel?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)