|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
2. Who is Katie?
3. What happens to the distillery after the shootout?
4. Who tells the boy that some families are devil-haunted?
5. From which part of the traditions of both Protestants and Catholics does the boy derive excitement?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
2. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
3. What happens to Frances and Francis?
4. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
5. What memory does the boy have of an interaction between him and Crazy Joe?
6. Describe the boy's relationship with his mother.
7. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
8. What causes the rat infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
9. The theme of disappearance is further discussed in Chapter 2. Explain.
10. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of secrets within the text. What kind of impact does secret-keeping have on the characters of the novel? How does it affect the plot as it progresses? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Which parts of the story and characters of the novel do you identify with? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Does the boy narrator experience any form of catharsis in the novel? If so, what level of catharsis does he attain? Explain.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)