|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
2. What does the boy's father do for a living?
3. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
4. Which of the boy's relatives dies in October 1949?
5. Who tells the boy's father about Eddie's killing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator.
2. Why is Una's death seen as an outlet for the boy's mother?
3. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
4. How can we see in Chapter 2 that the belief in the supernatural is a powerful force in Northern Ireland during this time?
5. Describe Grianan.
6. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
7. What does the boy's grandfather tell him right before he dies?
8. How is the motif of fire used in Chapter 3?
9. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
10. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you were the boy narrator, would you have kept the information you found out about Eddie's death a secret? The boy narrator does not reveal to his mother what he knows; would you have done the same? What might have changed if the boy had told his mother what he knew?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the boy encounters and overcomes many difficult situations in order to piece together his family's history and to find out what happened to his uncle. The story is riddled with sadness, death, poor choices, and loss; how can this story be redeemed? Is there any hope in this story? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Aunt Katie and the boy's mother.
1.) Why does the boy's mother react negatively toward Katie?
2.) Compare and contrast the women's behavior toward the boy narrator.
3.) Ultimately, they both experience the loss of the same man. How does it affect each of them?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)