|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
2. Who is Katie?
3. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
4. Who teaches the boy's math class?
5. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy's grandfather tell him right before he dies?
2. Why does the boy try to run away in Chapter 3?
3. How do we see the boy react and respond to his circumstances in Chapter 1 instead of accepting them at face value?
4. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
5. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
6. How can we see in Chapter 2 that the belief in the supernatural is a powerful force in Northern Ireland during this time?
7. Why is the boy uncomfortable with the sympathy he feels for the police after Rory Hannaway's death?
8. What strong religious beliefs of his community does the boy share in the beginning of Chapter 1?
9. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
10. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the boy's mother deals repeatedly with depression as her role in Eddie's death is progressively revealed.
1. How is she involved in the mystery surrounding Eddie's disappearance?
2. How is her relationship with Tony McIlhenny a factor in her involvement?
3. Do you think she should feel guilty?
Support your answers with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Does the boy narrator experience any form of catharsis in the novel? If so, what level of catharsis does he attain? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Aunt Katie and the boy's mother.
1.) Why does the boy's mother react negatively toward Katie?
2.) Compare and contrast the women's behavior toward the boy narrator.
3.) Ultimately, they both experience the loss of the same man. How does it affect each of them?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)