|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the boy's father die?
(b) An aneurysm.
(c) An accident.
(d) A second heart attack.
2. To whom does the baby sock belong?
(a) The man's daughter.
(b) The man's sister.
(c) The man's niece.
(d) No one knows.
3. What does the boy's mother do with the flower he gives her in Chapter 6?
(a) She throws it away.
(b) She eats it.
(c) She destroys it.
(d) She puts it in a vase in the window.
4. To what does Father Nugent compare murder?
(a) Disobeying your parents.
(b) Sex without love.
(d) Hating your brother.
5. After the boy's mother develops depression, what does she begin to have visions of?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does his mother's body change after what happens to her in 1968?
2. When Sergeant Burke comes to talk to the boy's mother, what does he reveal as his reason for beating her husband?
3. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
4. What happens two days before the boy visits his parents in Chapter 6?
5. How does Jimmy die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
2. What is important about the boy's reading of the story of Eddie's death in Irish?
3. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
4. What happens to Jimmy and Claire?
5. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
6. Why is the boy again upset with his mother at the end of Chapter 5?
7. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
8. Why does the boy narrator find it important to his relationship with his mother that he keep her secret?
9. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
10. What is the boy punished for by the Dean and what is his punishment?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)