|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jimmy die?
(a) Heart attack.
(b) Broken neck.
(c) Gunshot wound.
2. In September 1954, the boy's teacher asks several unanswerable questions in which class?
3. Why does the boy not tell his mother everything he knows about Eddie's death?
(a) He doesn't think she deserves to know.
(b) He is afraid of her reaction.
(c) He thinks that she already knows the truth but is hiding it.
(d) He thinks she is too sensitive to handle the truth.
4. What does the boy's mother say out-of-the-blue while he is washing dishes with his father?
(a) "The queen smiles for a day."
(b) "Silence follows those who know the truth."
(c) "We only live once."
(d) "Paradise was not far away when I died."
5. Which of these statements about the local asylum is true?
(a) It has only male patients.
(b) It has a positive turnover rate.
(c) It went under right after Eddie's disappearance.
(d) It has a reputation for cruel treatment of patients.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Larry meet on his way home from Grianan?
2. Who was McIlhenny involved with before he marries Katie?
3. What is wrong about the boy taking Irene to the cinema?
4. Why is the boy's mother afraid of her visitor?
5. When the boy encounters Crazy Joe in Chapter 5, what does Crazy Joe ask him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katie's family refuse to attend Meave's wedding?
2. What does the boy recall about "unconditional love"?
3. What information does the boy's mother find out after Sergeant Burke dies that makes her angry?
4. What is important about the boy's reading of the story of Eddie's death in Irish?
5. What does Crazy Joe know about the mystery surrounding Eddie's death?
6. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
7. What happens to Jimmy and Claire?
8. What is Sergeant Burke's purpose for going to the boy's mother and revealing all that he knows of Eddie's death?
9. Who is Danno Bredin?
10. What is the boy punished for by the Dean and what is his punishment?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)