|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What eventually happens to Danno?
(a) He starts a new family.
(b) He becomes ill and dies.
(c) He moves away.
(d) He returns to the military.
2. Where does the boy go to university?
3. According to Chapter 6, what was Tony's job before he disappeared?
(a) Bus conductor.
(b) Train operator.
(c) Coal mine worker.
(d) Police inspector.
4. What happens to the boy's father right before he retires?
(a) He reveals everything about Eddie's death.
(b) He goes missing.
(c) He suffers a heart attack.
(d) He dies.
5. In what year does the boy enter university?
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is introduced at the local community hall?
2. What version of the boy's story does he burn?
3. What reason does the boy's mother give for not taking her medicine?
4. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
5. For what does Sergeant Burke apologize in 1957?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
2. How does the boy conclude that it was his mother who tipped off McIlhenny?
3. What does Crazy Joe know about the mystery surrounding Eddie's death?
4. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
5. Why doesn't the boy reveal to his parents what he knows of Eddie's death?
6. What does the boy mean when he says he has become the "plague himself" by wanting to know what had "plagued her"?
7. Why is Crazy Joe such a valuable character to the story of Eddie's disappearance and death?
8. What information does the boy's mother find out after Sergeant Burke dies that makes her angry?
9. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
10. Why does the boy's evening with Irene prove to be a disappointment?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)