|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 6, how many of the boy's parents' children live at home?
2. Why does Sergeant Burke want the situation with Eddie's death cleared up?
(a) So that someone will be punished for it.
(b) So that he can sleep at night.
(c) So that the boy's mother is happy again.
(d) So that the children will not be poisoned by it.
3. Who teaches the boy about sex?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) Father Nugent.
(d) Brother Regan.
4. What happens to the boy's mother in 1968?
(a) She gets in an accident.
(b) She meets an old friend.
(c) She suffers a stroke.
(d) She goes insane.
5. When do the boy's parents meet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jimmy from Chapter 4?
2. The boy's mother's depression causes her to do what?
3. To whom is the boy attracted in Chapter 4?
4. What happens two days before the boy visits his parents in Chapter 6?
5. In what year does the boy enter university?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Father Nugent talk to the boy narrator about and why does it make him uncomfortable?
2. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
3. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
4. Why is Crazy Joe such a valuable character to the story of Eddie's disappearance and death?
5. What does the boy believe about his loyalties to his parents as he sets off to college?
6. How does his mother's inability to speak because of her stroke affect her relationship with the boy?
7. What is important about the boy's reading of the story of Eddie's death in Irish?
8. How does the boy conclude that it was his mother who tipped off McIlhenny?
9. What happens to Jimmy and Claire?
10. What is Sergeant Burke's purpose for going to the boy's mother and revealing all that he knows of Eddie's death?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)