|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who begins to visit the boy's mother regularly in Chapter 6?
(a) Crazy Joe.
(b) Sergeant Burke.
(d) The priest.
2. How does the boy's father die?
(a) An aneurysm.
(b) A second heart attack.
(c) An accident.
3. What language does the boy use to his advantage because his parents do not understand it?
4. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
(a) She had been in love with someone other than his father.
(b) She is faking her depression.
(c) He doesn't trust his mother.
(d) She was involved in Eddie's death.
5. Why does the boy's father threaten Crazy Joe in Chapter 6?
(a) Because he was mean to the boy.
(b) Because he was trying to steal from the boy.
(c) Because he was giving the boy bad advice.
(d) Because he laid a hand on the boy's knee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the boy after he takes the girl to the cinema?
2. What does Katie's sister tell her that upsets her?
3. What does the boy say is significant because of the mother's change?
4. When do Eddie's parents die?
5. At the very end of the book, what does the narrator think he hears as he is going down the stairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katie's family refuse to attend Meave's wedding?
2. What does the boy believe about his loyalties to his parents as he sets off to college?
3. What is the boy punished for by the Dean and what is his punishment?
4. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
5. How is the boy's mother's interpretation of the story of Sean and the baby sock a reflection on her own relationship with Tony McIlhenny and her role in Eddie's murder?
6. Why is the boy again upset with his mother at the end of Chapter 5?
7. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
8. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
9. What does the boy's mother say that upsets Katie?
10. What does the boy recall about "unconditional love"?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)