|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do the boy's parents marry?
2. Where is Eddie interrogated?
(a) At the Donegal farmhouse.
(b) Behind the house.
(c) In the shed.
(d) At the distillery.
3. Who told the boy the story of the man with the baby sock?
(a) Crazy Joe.
(b) His mother.
(d) His father.
4. Who does Larry meet on his way home from Grianan?
(a) The devil-woman.
(b) The boy's grandfather.
(c) Sergeant Burke.
(d) Crazy Joe.
5. Where does Jimmy go to work for several years?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the boy go with Moran in Chapter 4?
2. How long are Bernadette and Ena kept in the shed until the boy's father finds them?
3. How does the boy's father die?
4. In September 1954, the boy's teacher asks several unanswerable questions in which class?
5. Who is Danno Bredin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sergeant Burke's purpose for going to the boy's mother and revealing all that he knows of Eddie's death?
2. What happens to Jimmy and Claire?
3. What does the boy recall about "unconditional love"?
4. Why is Crazy Joe such a valuable character to the story of Eddie's disappearance and death?
5. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
6. The boy's mother is saddened throughout the entire novel, but why does her depression set in after her grandfather dies?
7. What does the boy's mother say that upsets Katie?
8. How does his mother's inability to speak because of her stroke affect her relationship with the boy?
9. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
10. Why does the boy narrator find it important to his relationship with his mother that he keep her secret?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)