|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
(b) The library.
(c) The brothel.
(d) The distillery.
2. Why doesn't the girl return Jimmy's affection?
(a) She lives a life of celibacy.
(b) She doesn't associate with his family.
(c) She moves away.
(d) She loves someone else.
3. Where is Eddie interrogated?
(a) At the Donegal farmhouse.
(b) Behind the house.
(c) In the shed.
(d) At the distillery.
4. What advice does Crazy Joe give the boy in Chapter 6?
(a) Read books.
(b) Chase girls.
(c) Plant a garden.
(d) Talk to his mother about Eddie.
5. At the very end of the book, what does the narrator think he hears as he is going down the stairs?
(a) A sigh.
(b) A bird.
(c) A siren.
(d) The clock tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Larry meet on his way home from Grianan?
2. In what year does the boy enter university?
3. Who told the boy the story of the man with the baby sock?
4. When Sergeant Burke comes to talk to the boy's mother, what does he reveal as his reason for beating her husband?
5. Who also visits the boy's parents as he is there in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
2. How does his mother's inability to speak because of her stroke affect her relationship with the boy?
3. Why is Crazy Joe such a valuable character to the story of Eddie's disappearance and death?
4. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
5. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
6. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
7. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
8. What is important about the boy's reading of the story of Eddie's death in Irish?
9. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
10. How does the boy conclude that it was his mother who tipped off McIlhenny?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)