|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these statements about the local asylum is true?
(a) It has only male patients.
(b) It has a positive turnover rate.
(c) It went under right after Eddie's disappearance.
(d) It has a reputation for cruel treatment of patients.
2. Which two groups does the boy's mother find out were collaborating together?
(a) The police and the boy's uncles.
(b) The police and the priests.
(c) The boy's uncles and the priests.
(d) The priests and the IRA.
3. What does Crazy Joe reveal to the boy?
(a) He knows why Larry has stopped talking.
(b) He knows who tipped off McIlhenny.
(c) He saw McIlhenny get out of the Sergeant's car in July 1926.
(d) He saw Eddie die.
4. Who is Jimmy from Chapter 4?
(a) A clergyman at the church.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) One of the boy's uncles.
(d) Grenaghan's grandfather.
5. To what does Father Nugent compare murder?
(b) Sex without love.
(c) Disobeying your parents.
(d) Hating your brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. An army chaplain comes to the school to talk to the boys about what?
2. When Danno returns home, what does he find?
3. Who was Jimmy in love with?
4. Why is the boy punished in 1954 by the Dean?
5. When the boy encounters Crazy Joe in Chapter 5, what does Crazy Joe ask him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
2. What information does the boy's mother find out after Sergeant Burke dies that makes her angry?
3. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
4. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
5. What happens to Jimmy and Claire?
6. What does Crazy Joe know about the mystery surrounding Eddie's death?
7. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
8. How is the boy's mother's interpretation of the story of Sean and the baby sock a reflection on her own relationship with Tony McIlhenny and her role in Eddie's murder?
9. Why is the boy again upset with his mother at the end of Chapter 5?
10. What does the boy mean when he says he has become the "plague himself" by wanting to know what had "plagued her"?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)