|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy conclude about his mother during Chapter 5?
(a) She was always insane.
(b) She always knew about Eddie's death.
(c) She always knew McIlhenny was an informer.
(d) She didn't really like Tony.
2. What happens to the boy after he takes the girl to the cinema?
(a) His parents see him kiss her goodnight.
(b) He gets hit after being set up by the girl.
(c) He asks her to be his girlfriend.
(d) He gives her flowers.
3. To whom does the baby sock belong?
(a) The man's sister.
(b) The man's daughter.
(c) The man's niece.
(d) No one knows.
4. What does the boy think happened to Eddie in the secret passage of Grianan?
(a) Eddie starved to death.
(b) Larry shot him.
(c) His grandfather shot him.
(d) Eddie was swallowed up by the earth.
5. Why does the boy's father threaten Crazy Joe in Chapter 6?
(a) Because he was mean to the boy.
(b) Because he was trying to steal from the boy.
(c) Because he was giving the boy bad advice.
(d) Because he laid a hand on the boy's knee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What eventually happens to Danno?
2. An army chaplain comes to the school to talk to the boys about what?
3. Where do the police help McIlhenny escape to after he was tipped off to the boy's grandfather in 1926?
4. Who is Jimmy from Chapter 4?
5. Why is the boy punished in 1954 by the Dean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jimmy and Claire?
2. What does the boy believe about his loyalties to his parents as he sets off to college?
3. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
4. What information does the boy's mother find out after Sergeant Burke dies that makes her angry?
5. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
6. The boy's mother is saddened throughout the entire novel, but why does her depression set in after her grandfather dies?
7. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
8. How does the boy conclude that it was his mother who tipped off McIlhenny?
9. What does Father Nugent talk to the boy narrator about and why does it make him uncomfortable?
10. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)