|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy's mother do with the flower he gives her in Chapter 6?
(a) She destroys it.
(b) She throws it away.
(c) She puts it in a vase in the window.
(d) She eats it.
2. What does the boy think happened to Eddie in the secret passage of Grianan?
(a) Eddie starved to death.
(b) Eddie was swallowed up by the earth.
(c) His grandfather shot him.
(d) Larry shot him.
3. When do the boy's parents meet?
4. What version of the boy's story does he burn?
(a) The miscopied version.
(b) The Irish version.
(c) The final version.
(d) The English version.
5. Who does Larry meet on his way home from Grianan?
(a) The boy's grandfather.
(b) The devil-woman.
(c) Sergeant Burke.
(d) Crazy Joe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character dies in 1959?
2. How long are Bernadette and Ena kept in the shed until the boy's father finds them?
3. When does the boy's mother find out the truth about Eddie?
4. Which of these statements about the local asylum is true?
5. What passages of scripture does the boy find intriguing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Crazy Joe such a valuable character to the story of Eddie's disappearance and death?
2. How is the boy's mother's interpretation of the story of Sean and the baby sock a reflection on her own relationship with Tony McIlhenny and her role in Eddie's murder?
3. Why doesn't the boy reveal to his parents what he knows of Eddie's death?
4. What information does the boy's mother find out after Sergeant Burke dies that makes her angry?
5. Why does the boy's evening with Irene prove to be a disappointment?
6. Why does the boy narrator find it important to his relationship with his mother that he keep her secret?
7. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
8. What is important about the boy's reading of the story of Eddie's death in Irish?
9. What happens to Jimmy and Claire?
10. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)