|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the boy's father threaten Crazy Joe in Chapter 6?
(a) Because he laid a hand on the boy's knee.
(b) Because he was trying to steal from the boy.
(c) Because he was giving the boy bad advice.
(d) Because he was mean to the boy.
2. What does the boy's mother say out-of-the-blue while he is washing dishes with his father?
(a) "The queen smiles for a day."
(b) "Silence follows those who know the truth."
(c) "We only live once."
(d) "Paradise was not far away when I died."
3. What does Katie's sister tell her that upsets her?
(a) That Meave's husband will leave her just like Katie's husband left her.
(b) That Meave's husband would soon cheat on her.
(c) That Tony really loved Katie's sister instead.
(d) That Meave will stop talking to Katie soon.
4. What does the boy think happened to Eddie in the secret passage of Grianan?
(a) Larry shot him.
(b) Eddie was swallowed up by the earth.
(c) His grandfather shot him.
(d) Eddie starved to death.
5. Why does the boy not tell his mother everything he knows about Eddie's death?
(a) He thinks that she already knows the truth but is hiding it.
(b) He doesn't think she deserves to know.
(c) He thinks she is too sensitive to handle the truth.
(d) He is afraid of her reaction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's mother do with the flower he gives her in Chapter 6?
2. Where does Jimmy go to work for several years?
3. Why does Sergeant Burke want the situation with Eddie's death cleared up?
4. What does the boy say is significant because of the mother's change?
5. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
2. What does the boy believe about his loyalties to his parents as he sets off to college?
3. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
4. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
5. How is the boy's mother's interpretation of the story of Sean and the baby sock a reflection on her own relationship with Tony McIlhenny and her role in Eddie's murder?
6. What does Father Nugent talk to the boy narrator about and why does it make him uncomfortable?
7. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
8. How does the boy conclude that it was his mother who tipped off McIlhenny?
9. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
10. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)