|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 6, how many of the boy's parents' children live at home?
2. At the very end of the book, what does the narrator think he hears as he is going down the stairs?
(a) A bird.
(b) A siren.
(c) The clock tower.
(d) A sigh.
3. According to Chapter 6, what was Tony's job before he disappeared?
(a) Bus conductor.
(b) Police inspector.
(c) Train operator.
(d) Coal mine worker.
4. Where does the boy go to university?
5. What does Crazy Joe reveal to the boy?
(a) He saw McIlhenny get out of the Sergeant's car in July 1926.
(b) He knows who tipped off McIlhenny.
(c) He saw Eddie die.
(d) He knows why Larry has stopped talking.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the boy's parents marry?
2. Upon what does the Anglican army chaplain say communism is based?
3. When do the boy's parents meet?
4. What does Katie's sister tell her that upsets her?
5. Why does the boy's father threaten Crazy Joe in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy mean when he says he has become the "plague himself" by wanting to know what had "plagued her"?
2. What is Sergeant Burke's purpose for going to the boy's mother and revealing all that he knows of Eddie's death?
3. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
4. Why does the boy's evening with Irene prove to be a disappointment?
5. What is important about the boy's reading of the story of Eddie's death in Irish?
6. What information does the boy's mother find out after Sergeant Burke dies that makes her angry?
7. How is the boy's mother's interpretation of the story of Sean and the baby sock a reflection on her own relationship with Tony McIlhenny and her role in Eddie's murder?
8. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
9. What is the boy punished for by the Dean and what is his punishment?
10. The boy's mother is saddened throughout the entire novel, but why does her depression set in after her grandfather dies?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)