|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is his mother's response when the boy asks her what she wants for her birthday?
(a) She wants to forget everything.
(b) She wants to move away.
(c) She wants a new house.
(d) She wants Tony to come back.
2. Which two groups does the boy's mother find out were collaborating together?
(a) The priests and the IRA.
(b) The police and the priests.
(c) The boy's uncles and the priests.
(d) The police and the boy's uncles.
3. What event is introduced at the local community hall?
(a) Dinner gatherings.
(b) Textiles classes.
(c) Job fairs.
(d) Social evenings with music.
4. When do the boy's parents meet?
5. What does the boy's mother do with the flower he gives her in Chapter 6?
(a) She destroys it.
(b) She throws it away.
(c) She eats it.
(d) She puts it in a vase in the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. In September 1954, the boy's teacher asks several unanswerable questions in which class?
2. Who was McIlhenny involved with before he marries Katie?
3. Why will no one ever know what really happened to Eddie in the secret passageway of Grianan?
4. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
5. From whom does the boy's mother warn him to stay away in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the boy's evening with Irene prove to be a disappointment?
2. What does the boy's mother say that upsets Katie?
3. What does the boy mean when he says he has become the "plague himself" by wanting to know what had "plagued her"?
4. Why does the boy narrator find it important to his relationship with his mother that he keep her secret?
5. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
6. Why is Crazy Joe such a valuable character to the story of Eddie's disappearance and death?
7. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
8. What does Crazy Joe know about the mystery surrounding Eddie's death?
9. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
10. What does the boy believe about his loyalties to his parents as he sets off to college?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)