|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the boy go to university?
2. When the boy encounters Crazy Joe in Chapter 5, what does Crazy Joe ask him to do?
(a) Tell him about Eddie.
(b) Sing him some songs.
(c) Show him the way to the park.
(d) Walk him to the library.
3. Which two groups does the boy's mother find out were collaborating together?
(a) The boy's uncles and the priests.
(b) The police and the boy's uncles.
(c) The priests and the IRA.
(d) The police and the priests.
4. Why does Sergeant Burke want the situation with Eddie's death cleared up?
(a) So that the boy's mother is happy again.
(b) So that the children will not be poisoned by it.
(c) So that he can sleep at night.
(d) So that someone will be punished for it.
5. What happens to the boy after he takes the girl to the cinema?
(a) He asks her to be his girlfriend.
(b) His parents see him kiss her goodnight.
(c) He gives her flowers.
(d) He gets hit after being set up by the girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy write down in the exercise book?
2. In September 1954, the boy's teacher asks several unanswerable questions in which class?
3. After the boy's mother develops depression, what does she begin to have visions of?
4. After his mother tells him much of the story of Eddie's death at the end of Chapter 5, why is the boy still hurt?
5. What passages of scripture does the boy find intriguing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the boy conclude that it was his mother who tipped off McIlhenny?
2. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
3. Why does Katie's family refuse to attend Meave's wedding?
4. How is the boy's mother's interpretation of the story of Sean and the baby sock a reflection on her own relationship with Tony McIlhenny and her role in Eddie's murder?
5. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
6. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
7. What information does the boy's mother find out after Sergeant Burke dies that makes her angry?
8. What is the boy punished for by the Dean and what is his punishment?
9. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
10. What does the boy recall about "unconditional love"?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)