|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Eddie's parents die?
2. When Katie goes to England to attend her daughter's wedding, why does the rest of her family refuse to attend?
(a) The wedding is on a workday.
(b) The groom is black.
(c) It is too far to travel.
(d) Meave is pregnant.
3. What passages of scripture does the boy find intriguing?
(a) The gospel parables.
(b) The law of the Old Testament.
(c) The prophecies of revelation.
(d) The ones about good and evil.
4. Who begins to visit the boy's mother regularly in Chapter 6?
(a) The priest.
(c) Crazy Joe.
(d) Sergeant Burke.
5. In September 1954, the boy's teacher asks several unanswerable questions in which class?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the boy's father right before he retires?
2. For what does Sergeant Burke apologize in 1957?
3. What version of the boy's story does he burn?
4. Which two groups does the boy's mother find out were collaborating together?
5. Why will no one ever know what really happened to Eddie in the secret passageway of Grianan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does the boy's mother find out after Sergeant Burke dies that makes her angry?
2. Why does the boy narrator find it important to his relationship with his mother that he keep her secret?
3. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
4. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
5. What does the boy mean when he says he has become the "plague himself" by wanting to know what had "plagued her"?
6. What does Crazy Joe know about the mystery surrounding Eddie's death?
7. Why does the boy's evening with Irene prove to be a disappointment?
8. What is the boy punished for by the Dean and what is his punishment?
9. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
10. Why doesn't the boy reveal to his parents what he knows of Eddie's death?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)