|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What version of the boy's story does he burn?
(a) The Irish version.
(b) The final version.
(c) The miscopied version.
(d) The English version.
2. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
(a) The library.
(b) The distillery.
(d) The brothel.
3. Who is Jimmy from Chapter 4?
(a) One of the boy's uncles.
(b) A clergyman at the church.
(c) Grenaghan's grandfather.
(d) A neighbor.
4. After his mother tells him much of the story of Eddie's death at the end of Chapter 5, why is the boy still hurt?
(a) She lies.
(b) He doesn't understand the full story.
(c) He thinks his mother does not know the truth.
(d) She does not tell him everything.
5. Why does the boy's mother warn him to stay away from the person she warns him about?
(a) She's afraid the person will reveal too much.
(b) She's afraid the person will harm the boy.
(c) She's afraid the person will find out too much.
(d) She's afraid the person will tell her husband about Eddie's disappearance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the police help McIlhenny escape to after he was tipped off to the boy's grandfather in 1926?
2. How long does the boy piece together that his father knew the full story about Eddie being an informant?
3. What does Jimmy do before he is found dead?
4. How does his mother's body change after what happens to her in 1968?
5. Why is the boy's mother afraid of her visitor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the boy punished for by the Dean and what is his punishment?
2. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
3. How does his mother's inability to speak because of her stroke affect her relationship with the boy?
4. What does the boy's mother say that upsets Katie?
5. Who is Danno Bredin?
6. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
7. Why does the boy narrator find it important to his relationship with his mother that he keep her secret?
8. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
9. The boy's mother is saddened throughout the entire novel, but why does her depression set in after her grandfather dies?
10. What does the boy mean when he says he has become the "plague himself" by wanting to know what had "plagued her"?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)