|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 6, what was Tony's job before he disappeared?
(a) Train operator.
(b) Bus conductor.
(c) Police inspector.
(d) Coal mine worker.
2. To whom does the baby sock belong?
(a) The man's sister.
(b) The man's niece.
(c) The man's daughter.
(d) No one knows.
3. After his mother tells him much of the story of Eddie's death at the end of Chapter 5, why is the boy still hurt?
(a) He doesn't understand the full story.
(b) He thinks his mother does not know the truth.
(c) She does not tell him everything.
(d) She lies.
4. Who told the boy the story of the man with the baby sock?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) Crazy Joe.
5. Who also visits the boy's parents as he is there in Chapter 6?
(a) The dead soldier's father.
(b) Sergeant Burke.
(c) Crazy Joe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sergeant Burke want the situation with Eddie's death cleared up?
2. What does Katie's sister tell her that upsets her?
3. Who was Jimmy in love with?
4. Who was McIlhenny involved with before he marries Katie?
5. In what language does the boy write the final copy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy recall about "unconditional love"?
2. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
3. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
4. How does his mother's inability to speak because of her stroke affect her relationship with the boy?
5. Why does Katie's family refuse to attend Meave's wedding?
6. What happens to Jimmy and Claire?
7. Why doesn't the boy reveal to his parents what he knows of Eddie's death?
8. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
9. What does the boy mean when he says he has become the "plague himself" by wanting to know what had "plagued her"?
10. Describe the relationship between Tony, Katie, and the boy's mother.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)