|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
(a) He wanders.
(b) He is missing.
(c) He tells stories.
(d) He does not talk.
2. Which section of the library does Crazy Joe frequent?
(a) The literature section.
(b) The adult section.
(c) The history section.
(d) The art section.
3. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
(a) His mother's unsuccessful suicide attempts caused by her depression.
(b) Stories of the murder trial of 1922.
(c) The death of his sister.
(d) His treatment by the police.
4. During the war, when the alarms go off because of the air raids, where does the family hide?
(a) Under the stairs.
(b) In the neighbor's house.
(c) In the air raid shelters.
(d) In the bathtub.
5. Why do the boy's father's drinking binges stop between 1920 and 1926?
(a) His father found out about Eddie being an informer in 1926.
(b) His father found out who killed Eddie in 1926.
(c) His father revealed to his wife who killed Eddie in 1926.
(d) His father found out Eddie was innocent in 1926.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
2. How does the boy describe how he got rid of the infestation in Chapter 3?
3. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
4. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
5. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the boy's relationship with his mother.
2. Why is Una's death seen as an outlet for the boy's mother?
3. What scripture passages does the boy enjoy reading, but why do they trouble him?
4. What does Father Nugent talk to the boy narrator about and why does it make him uncomfortable?
5. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
6. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
7. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
8. How does his mother's inability to speak because of her stroke affect her relationship with the boy?
9. What causes the boy to realize his mother doesn't care what he reveals to anyone?
10. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)