|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the distillery after the shootout?
(a) It is shutdown.
(b) It is rebuilt.
(c) It floods.
(d) It explodes.
2. During the war, when the alarms go off because of the air raids, where does the family hide?
(a) Under the stairs.
(b) In the bathtub.
(c) In the neighbor's house.
(d) In the air raid shelters.
3. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
(a) The house burn down.
(b) His father leave town.
(c) His mother attempt suicide.
(d) The death of a young boy.
4. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
(b) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
(c) The death of the boy's sister.
(d) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
5. What color is the light above the graves of Francis and Frances' parents?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
2. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
3. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
4. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
5. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the rat infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
2. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
3. Why is the boy narrator fond of Aunt Katie?
4. The theme of disappearance is further discussed in Chapter 2. Explain.
5. Describe the boy's relationship with his mother.
6. How is the novel The Shan Van Vocht an example of female symbolism?
7. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
8. What memory does the boy have of an interaction between him and Crazy Joe?
9. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
10. What local belief surrounds the Field of the Disappeared?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)