|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The famous shoot-out in 1922 was between which two groups of people?
(a) The police and the boy's family.
(b) The IRA and the boy's family.
(c) The boy's uncles and the IRA.
(d) The IRA and the police.
2. What is the first physical change Francis and Frances encounter?
(a) Their reflections in the mirror disappear.
(b) Their voices switch.
(c) They both change genders.
(d) Their hair changes color.
3. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
(a) Action should be taken to prevent further violence.
(b) God's love extends even to those who commit evil deeds.
(c) Bad things happen because people make poor choices.
(d) Only God should judge people and decide their fate.
4. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
(a) She became paralyzed.
(b) She ran away.
(c) She became sick and died.
(d) She was kidnapped.
5. Which of the boy's relatives dies in October 1949?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His father.
(d) His sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the priest to call off Larry McLaughlin's wedding?
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
4. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
5. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
2. How do we see the boy react and respond to his circumstances in Chapter 1 instead of accepting them at face value?
3. Describe Grianan.
4. How is the novel The Shan Van Vocht an example of female symbolism?
5. What local belief surrounds the Field of the Disappeared?
6. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
7. Describe Crazy Joe.
8. What causes the rat infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
9. Why does the boy throw a rock at Sergeant Burke's police car?
10. Why does the boy try to run away in Chapter 3?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)