|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
(a) The murder suspect disappeared.
(b) The evidence was tampered with.
(c) There wasn't enough evidence.
(d) The murder suspect had a proven alibi.
2. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(b) He is beaten by the police.
(c) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(d) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
3. According to the boy's father, how long has the boy's mother known about Eddie?
(a) Since a few years ago.
(b) Since just before she married the boy's father.
(c) Since just after she married the boy's father.
(d) Since just after the boy was born.
4. What is the first physical change Francis and Frances encounter?
(a) Their hair changes color.
(b) Their voices switch.
(c) Their reflections in the mirror disappear.
(d) They both change genders.
5. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ena?
2. After his parents die, Eddie leaves. Where does everyone think he went?
3. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
4. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
5. Who is Katie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
2. What happens to Frances and Francis?
3. Why is Una's death seen as an outlet for the boy's mother?
4. What memory does the boy have of an interaction between him and Crazy Joe?
5. How is the motif of fire used in Chapter 3?
6. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
7. How can we see in Chapter 2 that the belief in the supernatural is a powerful force in Northern Ireland during this time?
8. Describe Crazy Joe.
9. Why is the boy narrator fond of Aunt Katie?
10. What does the boy's grandfather tell him right before he dies?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)