|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The famous shoot-out in 1922 was between which two groups of people?
(a) The police and the boy's family.
(b) The IRA and the police.
(c) The IRA and the boy's family.
(d) The boy's uncles and the IRA.
2. Who teaches the boy's math class?
(b) His father.
(d) His uncle.
3. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
(b) Brigid McLaughlin.
(c) Katie McIlhenny.
(d) Aunt Bernadette.
4. Who is Billy Mahon?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A friend of the family.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) A priest.
5. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
2. In Chapter 1, what causes the boy's mother to become inconsolable?
3. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
4. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
5. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can we see in Chapter 2 that the belief in the supernatural is a powerful force in Northern Ireland during this time?
2. Describe the narrator.
3. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
4. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
5. What happens to Frances and Francis?
6. Describe Grianan.
7. What does the boy's grandfather tell him right before he dies?
8. Why does the boy throw a rock at Sergeant Burke's police car?
9. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
10. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)