|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
(a) Action should be taken to prevent further violence.
(b) God's love extends even to those who commit evil deeds.
(c) Only God should judge people and decide their fate.
(d) Bad things happen because people make poor choices.
2. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
(a) His mother attempt suicide.
(b) The house burn down.
(c) The death of a young boy.
(d) His father leave town.
3. What does the boy's father do for a living?
(a) He is a shopkeeper.
(b) He is an electrician.
(c) He is a salesman.
(d) He is a factory worker.
4. Who tells the boy's father about Eddie's killing?
(b) Ena and Bernadette.
(c) The boy's mother.
5. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
(a) She skips wherever she goes.
(b) She never leaves her house.
(c) She sings the children's song once a year.
(d) She pretends the children have never left.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
2. What happens that lets the boy know his father isn't upset anymore about the rose bushes?
3. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
4. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
5. When does Tony McIlhenny disappear?
Short Essay Questions
1. The theme of disappearance is further discussed in Chapter 2. Explain.
2. Why does the boy try to run away in Chapter 3?
3. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
4. Describe Grianan.
5. Why is Una's death seen as an outlet for the boy's mother?
6. How do we see the boy react and respond to his circumstances in Chapter 1 instead of accepting them at face value?
7. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
8. What local belief surrounds the Field of the Disappeared?
9. Describe the narrator.
10. How is the motif of fire used in Chapter 3?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)