|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In October of 1952, where is the boy sent to live?
(a) With one of his uncles.
(b) With his grandfather.
(c) With one of his aunts.
(d) With a neighbor.
2. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
(a) She became sick and died.
(b) She became paralyzed.
(c) She was kidnapped.
(d) She ran away.
3. What happens that lets the boy know his father isn't upset anymore about the rose bushes?
(a) His father smiles at him.
(b) His father apologizes.
(c) His father comes in and kisses his head.
(d) His father tells him he understands why his son did it.
4. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
(a) Extra homework or cleaning.
(b) Time out or extra homework.
(c) Cleaning or caning.
(d) Extra homework or caning.
5. Who is Ena?
(a) The boy's mother's sister.
(b) The boy's father's sister.
(c) The boy's grandmother.
(d) The boy's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
2. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
3. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
4. What color is the light above the graves of Francis and Frances' parents?
5. Who tells the boy's father about Eddie's killing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the boy narrator fond of Aunt Katie?
2. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
3. How can we see in Chapter 2 that the belief in the supernatural is a powerful force in Northern Ireland during this time?
4. What does the boy's grandfather tell him right before he dies?
5. How does his mother's inability to speak because of her stroke affect her relationship with the boy?
6. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
7. What local belief surrounds the Field of the Disappeared?
8. Why does the boy's mother turn hostile toward him in Chapter 6?
9. How is the boy's mother's interpretation of the story of Sean and the baby sock a reflection on her own relationship with Tony McIlhenny and her role in Eddie's murder?
10. What is important about the boy's reading of the story of Eddie's death in Irish?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)