|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
(a) A missing child.
(b) A murder suspect.
(c) A gun.
(d) Stolen goods.
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The History of Ireland.
(c) Paradise Lost.
(d) The Poor Old Woman.
4. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
(a) Their mother's sister.
(b) Their brother.
(c) Their grandfather.
(d) Their father's brother.
5. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
(a) He was being bullied.
(b) He was out wandering at night.
(c) He didn't have a ride home.
(d) He was in trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
2. What happens that lets the boy know his father isn't upset anymore about the rose bushes?
3. Why is the boys' mother upset when they return from their boat ride across the river?
4. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
5. In Chapter 2, the boy remembers being trapped where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the boy throw a rock at Sergeant Burke's police car?
2. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
3. How is the novel The Shan Van Vocht an example of female symbolism?
4. How do we see the boy react and respond to his circumstances in Chapter 1 instead of accepting them at face value?
5. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
6. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
7. Why does the boy try to run away in Chapter 3?
8. Describe Grianan.
9. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
10. Why is Una's death seen as an outlet for the boy's mother?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)