|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
(a) The boy, his brother Liam, and their father.
(b) Rory Hannaway, Neil McLaughlin, and the boy's uncle.
(c) Brother Regan, the boy, and his father.
(d) The boy, his father, and Rory Hannaway.
2. Where does the boy's father work?
(a) The police station.
(b) The distillery.
(c) The docks.
(d) The naval base.
3. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
(a) The Poor Old Woman.
(b) The Lovely Dark Land.
(c) The Land of Poverty.
(d) The Conflict of Past.
4. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
(a) What he finds in his sister's wardrobe.
(b) The book he reads in the dark.
(c) His sympathy for the Protestant police.
(d) His mother's depression.
5. Which of the boy's relatives dies in October 1949?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His father.
(d) His sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
2. Why do the boy's father's drinking binges stop between 1920 and 1926?
3. How does Rory Hannaway die?
4. Why does Brigid think she is going mad?
5. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
2. Why is the boy uncomfortable with the sympathy he feels for the police after Rory Hannaway's death?
3. Describe the narrator.
4. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
5. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
6. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
7. Describe Grianan.
8. How do we see the boy react and respond to his circumstances in Chapter 1 instead of accepting them at face value?
9. What does the boy's grandfather tell him right before he dies?
10. Describe the boy's relationship with his mother.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)