|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
(a) The death of his sister.
(b) Stories of the murder trial of 1922.
(c) His treatment by the police.
(d) His mother's unsuccessful suicide attempts caused by her depression.
2. What happens that lets the boy know his father isn't upset anymore about the rose bushes?
(a) His father comes in and kisses his head.
(b) His father apologizes.
(c) His father smiles at him.
(d) His father tells him he understands why his son did it.
3. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
(a) Because she would have to reveal that Katie's husband was the informer.
(b) Because she didn't want to tell Katie that Eddie was executed.
(c) Because Katie knew nothing about Eddie's disappearance.
(d) Because she didn't want Katie to know Eddie was the informer.
4. Who is Katie?
(a) The boy's father's aunt.
(b) The boy's grandmother.
(c) The boy's sister.
(d) The boy's mother's sister.
5. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
2. Who is the heroine of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
3. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
4. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
5. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
2. How is the motif of fire used in Chapter 3?
3. Describe the narrator.
4. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
5. What memory does the boy have of an interaction between him and Crazy Joe?
6. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
7. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
8. What strong religious beliefs of his community does the boy share in the beginning of Chapter 1?
9. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
10. Why is Una's death seen as an outlet for the boy's mother?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)