|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what causes the boy's mother to become inconsolable?
(a) Her husband leaves.
(b) The boy becomes sick.
(c) One of her children dies.
(d) She loses her job.
2. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
(a) The boy, his father, and Rory Hannaway.
(b) Rory Hannaway, Neil McLaughlin, and the boy's uncle.
(c) Brother Regan, the boy, and his father.
(d) The boy, his brother Liam, and their father.
3. In what year does the novel begin?
4. What causes the priest to call off Larry McLaughlin's wedding?
(a) Larry doesn't want to get married.
(b) Larry isn't ready to get married.
(c) Larry has cheated on this soon-to-be wife.
(d) Larry has become insane.
5. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
(a) He tells stories.
(b) He is missing.
(c) He does not talk.
(d) He wanders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's father do for a living?
2. According to the local belief his father told the boy, who gathers at the Field of the Disappeared at Christmas and other festivals?
3. Why does Brigid think she is going mad?
4. In October of 1952, where is the boy sent to live?
5. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
2. Why does the boy narrator find it important to his relationship with his mother that he keep her secret?
3. How do we see the boy react and respond to his circumstances in Chapter 1 instead of accepting them at face value?
4. The boy's mother is saddened throughout the entire novel, but why does her depression set in after her grandfather dies?
5. How is the boy's mother's interpretation of the story of Sean and the baby sock a reflection on her own relationship with Tony McIlhenny and her role in Eddie's murder?
6. In what ways are the problems of Northern Ireland just beginning as the problems the boy faces are now ending?
7. What does Sergeant Burke reveal about Eddie's death and Tony's involvement?
8. Why does the boy throw a rock at Sergeant Burke's police car?
9. How does his mother's inability to speak because of her stroke affect her relationship with the boy?
10. Why is Crazy Joe such a valuable character to the story of Eddie's disappearance and death?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)