|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
2. What are the IRA gunmen protesting at the shootout at the distillery?
(a) The prohibition of alcohol.
(b) The shutdown of the distillery.
(c) The founding of Northern Ireland.
(d) The death of a policeman.
3. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
(a) A missing child.
(b) A gun.
(c) Stolen goods.
(d) A murder suspect.
4. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
(a) Brother Regan.
(b) Neil McLaughlin.
(c) Billy Mahon.
(d) Rory Hannaway.
5. Which of the boy's relatives dies in October 1949?
(a) His sister.
(b) His father.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. The famous shoot-out in 1922 was between which two groups of people?
2. How does Rory Hannaway die?
3. Why does the boy's father hit him in Chapter 3?
4. Who tells the boy that some families are devil-haunted?
5. In Chapter 1, what causes the boy's mother to become inconsolable?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do we see the boy react and respond to his circumstances in Chapter 1 instead of accepting them at face value?
2. How is the motif of fire used in Chapter 3?
3. When the boy's father takes him and his brother Liam out on the boat, what does his father reveal to them and why does it make the boy feel uncomfortable?
4. Why is the boy uncomfortable with the sympathy he feels for the police after Rory Hannaway's death?
5. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
6. Describe the narrator.
7. What causes the rat infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
8. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
9. How can we see in Chapter 2 that the belief in the supernatural is a powerful force in Northern Ireland during this time?
10. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)