|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
(a) He is missing.
(b) He wanders.
(c) He tells stories.
(d) He does not talk.
2. In October of 1952, where is the boy sent to live?
(a) With one of his uncles.
(b) With one of his aunts.
(c) With a neighbor.
(d) With his grandfather.
3. How do the boy's father's parents die?
(b) An accident.
(c) Old age.
(d) Killed at the shootout at the distillery.
4. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) She senses a ghost nearby.
(b) Someone outside will see him.
(c) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
(d) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
5. Who is the heroine of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the boy's father about Eddie's killing?
2. According to the boy's father, how long has the boy's mother known about Eddie?
3. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
4. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
5. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the boy narrator fond of Aunt Katie?
2. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
3. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
4. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
5. How is the motif of fire used in Chapter 3?
6. What does the boy recall about "unconditional love"?
7. Why is the boy uncomfortable with the sympathy he feels for the police after Rory Hannaway's death?
8. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
9. What does the boy believe about his loyalties to his parents as he sets off to college?
10. How is the boy's mother's interpretation of the story of Sean and the baby sock a reflection on her own relationship with Tony McIlhenny and her role in Eddie's murder?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)