|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which part of the traditions of both Protestants and Catholics does the boy derive excitement?
(a) The gathering.
(b) The dancing.
(c) The bonfires.
(d) The singing.
2. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
(b) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
(c) The death of the boy's sister.
(d) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
3. What does the boy's grandfather reveal about Eddie in Chapter 3?
(a) Eddie died in a warehouse fire.
(b) Eddie was an informer.
(c) Eddie left for America.
(d) Eddie was set up.
4. According to the boy's father, how long has the boy's mother known about Eddie?
(a) Since just after the boy was born.
(b) Since just before she married the boy's father.
(c) Since a few years ago.
(d) Since just after she married the boy's father.
5. What information about the family secret does the boy know in Chapter 3 that his parents do not know?
(a) Who killed Eddie.
(b) Who the real informer was.
(c) What happened to Tony.
(d) Where Eddie was killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
2. After his parents die, Eddie leaves. Where does everyone think he went?
3. On what day do the Francis and Frances' parents die?
4. What happens to both Brigid and Larry in Chapter 2?
5. What does Crazy Joe say Larry's mysterious woman turns into?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the boy's father takes him and his brother Liam out on the boat, what does his father reveal to them and why does it make the boy feel uncomfortable?
2. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
3. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
4. What memory does the boy have of an interaction between him and Crazy Joe?
5. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
6. Why does the boy try to run away in Chapter 3?
7. Why is the boy narrator fond of Aunt Katie?
8. Describe the boy's relationship with his mother.
9. What does the boy's grandfather tell him right before he dies?
10. The theme of disappearance is further discussed in Chapter 2. Explain.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)