|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
(a) The Poor Old Woman.
(b) Paradise Lost.
(c) The History of Ireland.
(d) The Bible.
2. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
(a) Their brother.
(b) Their mother's sister.
(c) Their grandfather.
(d) Their father's brother.
3. What information about the family secret does the boy know in Chapter 3 that his parents do not know?
(a) Who the real informer was.
(b) Where Eddie was killed.
(c) What happened to Tony.
(d) Who killed Eddie.
4. Who is Ena?
(a) The boy's mother's sister.
(b) The boy's grandmother.
(c) The boy's sister.
(d) The boy's father's sister.
5. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
(a) Only God should judge people and decide their fate.
(b) Action should be taken to prevent further violence.
(c) Bad things happen because people make poor choices.
(d) God's love extends even to those who commit evil deeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the distillery after the shootout?
2. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
3. What type of stone chair is hidden in the ruins of Grianan?
4. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
5. How does the boy describe how he got rid of the infestation in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the novel The Shan Van Vocht an example of female symbolism?
2. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
3. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
4. What does the boy's grandfather tell him right before he dies?
5. What memory does the boy have of an interaction between him and Crazy Joe?
6. Describe Crazy Joe.
7. What causes the rat infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
8. Why is the boy narrator fond of Aunt Katie?
9. The theme of disappearance is further discussed in Chapter 2. Explain.
10. How can we see in Chapter 2 that the belief in the supernatural is a powerful force in Northern Ireland during this time?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)