|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
(a) The boy, his brother Liam, and their father.
(b) The boy, his father, and Rory Hannaway.
(c) Rory Hannaway, Neil McLaughlin, and the boy's uncle.
(d) Brother Regan, the boy, and his father.
2. According to the local belief his father told the boy, who gathers at the Field of the Disappeared at Christmas and other festivals?
(a) The souls of children who died at a young age.
(b) The souls of those who have not had a Christian burial.
(c) The souls of those who were murdered.
(d) The souls of orphans.
3. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
(a) A policeman.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) Brother Regan.
(d) Neil McLaughlin.
4. How do the boy's father's parents die?
(b) Old age.
(c) Killed at the shootout at the distillery.
(d) An accident.
5. Who tells the boy's father about Eddie's killing?
(a) Ena and Bernadette.
(b) The boy's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sergeant Burke suggest to the boy as he gives him a ride home?
2. How does the boy's grandfather die?
3. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
4. What happens to Billy Mahon?
5. What happens that lets the boy know his father isn't upset anymore about the rose bushes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy's grandfather tell him right before he dies?
2. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
3. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
4. How is the motif of fire used in Chapter 3?
5. Why is the boy narrator fond of Aunt Katie?
6. Why is Una's death seen as an outlet for the boy's mother?
7. Describe Grianan.
8. What strong religious beliefs of his community does the boy share in the beginning of Chapter 1?
9. What causes the rat infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
10. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)