|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the boy's relatives dies in October 1949?
(a) His father.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His sister.
(d) His aunt.
2. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
3. Who is Meave?
(a) Katie's daughter.
(b) The boy's sister.
(c) Eddie's daughter.
(d) The boy's niece.
4. What color is the light above the graves of Francis and Frances' parents?
5. What does Crazy Joe say Larry's mysterious woman turns into?
(a) A butterfly.
(b) A fox.
(c) A deer.
(d) A bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first physical change Francis and Frances encounter?
2. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
3. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
4. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
5. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Larry McLaughlin?
2. Describe Crazy Joe.
3. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
4. When the boy's father takes him and his brother Liam out on the boat, what does his father reveal to them and why does it make the boy feel uncomfortable?
5. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
6. Describe the boy's relationship with his mother.
7. How is the novel The Shan Van Vocht an example of female symbolism?
8. How is the motif of fire used in Chapter 3?
9. What local belief surrounds the Field of the Disappeared?
10. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)