|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
(a) A family friend.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) A local policeman.
(d) A German sailor.
2. What causes the infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
(a) An abandoned house.
(b) An abandoned warehouse.
(c) A nearby dumping ground.
(d) The swamps.
3. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
(c) The Field of the Disappeared.
4. After his parents die, Eddie leaves. Where does everyone think he went?
(a) He enlisted in the IRA.
(b) He skipped town with his girlfriend.
(c) He went to Grianan.
(d) He went to America.
5. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
(a) Put on costumes.
(b) Sing songs.
(c) Put flowers on their parents' graves.
(d) Play in the Field of the Disappeared.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
2. What type of stone chair is hidden in the ruins of Grianan?
3. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
4. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
5. When does Tony McIlhenny disappear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
2. Describe the boy's relationship with his mother.
3. What memory does the boy have of an interaction between him and Crazy Joe?
4. Describe Grianan.
5. Describe the narrator.
6. Describe Crazy Joe.
7. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
8. Why does the boy try to run away in Chapter 3?
9. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
10. How can we see in Chapter 2 that the belief in the supernatural is a powerful force in Northern Ireland during this time?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)