|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
(c) A pillow.
2. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
(a) He tells stories.
(b) He does not talk.
(c) He is missing.
(d) He wanders.
3. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
(a) A murder suspect.
(b) A gun.
(c) A missing child.
(d) Stolen goods.
4. According to the local belief his father told the boy, who gathers at the Field of the Disappeared at Christmas and other festivals?
(a) The souls of those who were murdered.
(b) The souls of those who have not had a Christian burial.
(c) The souls of children who died at a young age.
(d) The souls of orphans.
5. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
(a) Extra homework or caning.
(b) Time out or extra homework.
(c) Cleaning or caning.
(d) Extra homework or cleaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ena?
2. In October of 1952, where is the boy sent to live?
3. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
4. Why is the boys' mother upset when they return from their boat ride across the river?
5. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the boy's relationship with his mother.
2. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
3. How is the novel The Shan Van Vocht an example of female symbolism?
4. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
5. What does the boy's grandfather tell him right before he dies?
6. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
7. How is the theme of disappearance used in Chapter 1?
8. How can we see in Chapter 2 that the belief in the supernatural is a powerful force in Northern Ireland during this time?
9. What causes the rat infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
10. What memory does the boy have of an interaction between him and Crazy Joe?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)