|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
(a) An abandoned house.
(b) An abandoned warehouse.
(c) The swamps.
(d) A nearby dumping ground.
2. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(b) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(c) He is beaten by the police.
(d) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
3. How do the boy's father's parents die?
(b) Killed at the shootout at the distillery.
(c) Old age.
(d) An accident.
4. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) A local policeman.
(c) A German sailor.
(d) A family friend.
5. What do people believe lay below the ruins of Grianan?
(a) The souls of those who did not have a Christian burial.
(b) The ghosts of unborn children.
(c) The souls of those who had disappeared.
(d) The bodies of legendary ancient warriors.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
2. In Chapter 2, the boy remembers being trapped where?
3. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
4. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
5. From which part of the traditions of both Protestants and Catholics does the boy derive excitement?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the boy's father takes him and his brother Liam out on the boat, what does his father reveal to them and why does it make the boy feel uncomfortable?
2. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
3. How is the motif of fire used in Chapter 3?
4. How do we see the boy react and respond to his circumstances in Chapter 1 instead of accepting them at face value?
5. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
6. Why is Una's death seen as an outlet for the boy's mother?
7. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
8. Why is the boy narrator fond of Aunt Katie?
9. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
10. Why is the boy uncomfortable with the sympathy he feels for the police after Rory Hannaway's death?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)