|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens that lets the boy know his father isn't upset anymore about the rose bushes?
(a) His father apologizes.
(b) His father tells him he understands why his son did it.
(c) His father smiles at him.
(d) His father comes in and kisses his head.
2. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
(b) The death of the boy's sister.
(c) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
(d) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
3. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
(a) The evidence was tampered with.
(b) The murder suspect disappeared.
(c) The murder suspect had a proven alibi.
(d) There wasn't enough evidence.
4. What happens to both Brigid and Larry in Chapter 2?
(a) They have lost their ability to speak.
(b) They are killed.
(c) They both cannot see.
(d) They have both lost their jobs.
5. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
(a) Billy Mahon.
(b) Neil McLaughlin.
(c) Brother Regan.
(d) Rory Hannaway.
Short Answer Questions
1. In October of 1952, where is the boy sent to live?
2. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
3. How does the boy's grandfather die?
4. When the boy and his brother, Liam, are taken across the river by their father, what does his father's explanation about Eddie reveal to the boy?
5. What does Crazy Joe say Larry's mysterious woman turns into?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Frances and Francis?
2. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
3. Why is the disappearance of Uncle Eddie such a mystery?
4. What local belief surrounds the Field of the Disappeared?
5. Why does the boy try to run away in Chapter 3?
6. How are superstitions introduced in Chapter 1?
7. What memory does the boy have of an interaction between him and Crazy Joe?
8. How is the novel The Shan Van Vocht an example of female symbolism?
9. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
10. Describe the narrator.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)