|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
(a) There wasn't enough evidence.
(b) The murder suspect disappeared.
(c) The murder suspect had a proven alibi.
(d) The evidence was tampered with.
2. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
(b) A pillow.
3. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
4. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
(a) Neil McLaughlin.
(b) Billy Mahon.
(c) Rory Hannaway.
(d) Brother Regan.
5. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
(a) To a sick relative's house.
(b) To his father.
(c) To a grave.
(d) To his teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Billy Mahon?
2. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
3. Who tells the boy that some families are devil-haunted?
4. Chapter 3 opens with the narrator talking about the neighborhood having what kind of infestation problem?
5. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Una's death seen as an outlet for the boy's mother?
2. What local belief surrounds the Field of the Disappeared?
3. What causes the rat infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
4. When the boy's father takes him and his brother Liam out on the boat, what does his father reveal to them and why does it make the boy feel uncomfortable?
5. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
6. What happens to Frances and Francis?
7. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
8. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
9. Describe the boy's relationship with his mother.
10. The theme of disappearance is further discussed in Chapter 2. Explain.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)