|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
(a) Because she didn't want to tell Katie that Eddie was executed.
(b) Because she would have to reveal that Katie's husband was the informer.
(c) Because she didn't want Katie to know Eddie was the informer.
(d) Because Katie knew nothing about Eddie's disappearance.
2. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
(a) His treatment by the police.
(b) Stories of the murder trial of 1922.
(c) His mother's unsuccessful suicide attempts caused by her depression.
(d) The death of his sister.
3. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
(a) Their father's brother.
(b) Their mother's sister.
(c) Their grandfather.
(d) Their brother.
4. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
(d) The boy narrator.
5. How do the boy's father's parents die?
(a) An accident.
(b) Old age.
(d) Killed at the shootout at the distillery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to both Brigid and Larry in Chapter 2?
2. What information about the family secret does the boy know in Chapter 3 that his parents do not know?
3. Who tells the boy that some families are devil-haunted?
4. What do the boy's parents suggest he should have done instead of involving Sergeant Burke when he was being bullied?
5. What does the boy try to do after his talk with Sergeant Burke in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events surrounding the distillery and what happens to it.
2. How can we see in Chapter 2 that the belief in the supernatural is a powerful force in Northern Ireland during this time?
3. What happens to Frances and Francis?
4. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
5. What strong religious beliefs of his community does the boy share in the beginning of Chapter 1?
6. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
7. Why is the boy narrator fond of Aunt Katie?
8. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
9. What causes the rat infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
10. How is the novel The Shan Van Vocht an example of female symbolism?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)