|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
(a) Their brother.
(b) Their father's brother.
(c) Their mother's sister.
(d) Their grandfather.
2. Who teaches the boy's math class?
(a) His father.
(b) His uncle.
3. What do people believe lay below the ruins of Grianan?
(a) The souls of those who did not have a Christian burial.
(b) The souls of those who had disappeared.
(c) The ghosts of unborn children.
(d) The bodies of legendary ancient warriors.
4. What does the boy's grandfather reveal about Eddie in Chapter 3?
(a) Eddie died in a warehouse fire.
(b) Eddie was set up.
(c) Eddie was an informer.
(d) Eddie left for America.
5. In Chapter 2, the boy remembers being trapped where?
(a) In his sister's bedroom.
(b) In the basement of the distillery.
(c) In the secret passage of Grianan.
(d) In the church after service.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the boys' mother upset when they return from their boat ride across the river?
2. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
3. What does Sergeant Burke suggest to the boy as he gives him a ride home?
4. How do the boy's father's parents die?
5. What type of stone chair is hidden in the ruins of Grianan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the boy uncomfortable with the sympathy he feels for the police after Rory Hannaway's death?
2. Who is Tony and what happened to him?
3. The theme of disappearance is further discussed in Chapter 2. Explain.
4. How is the motif of fire used in Chapter 3?
5. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
6. How does the boy get rid of the rat problem?
7. Why is the boy narrator fond of Aunt Katie?
8. When the boy's father takes him and his brother Liam out on the boat, what does his father reveal to them and why does it make the boy feel uncomfortable?
9. Why does the boy try to run away in Chapter 3?
10. Why does the boy throw a rock at Sergeant Burke's police car?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)