|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Billy Mahon?
(a) A priest.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A friend of the family.
2. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
(a) The death of his sister.
(b) Stories of the murder trial of 1922.
(c) His treatment by the police.
(d) His mother's unsuccessful suicide attempts caused by her depression.
3. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
(a) The confusion the boy feels by not understanding what he reads.
(b) The boy's reading of his first book.
(c) The sadness felt by the boy after being forced to read only at night.
(d) The loneliness of reading alone and the boy's feeling of being alone.
4. Why does the boy's father hit him in Chapter 3?
(a) The boy doesn't stop talking.
(b) His father is drunk.
(c) The boy tells his father he should be blaming Eddie.
(d) The boy tells his father he hates him.
5. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
(a) To a sick relative's house.
(b) To a grave.
(c) To his father.
(d) To his teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the war, when the alarms go off because of the air raids, where does the family hide?
2. What does Sergeant Burke suggest to the boy as he gives him a ride home?
3. After his parents die, Eddie leaves. Where does everyone think he went?
4. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
5. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the boy's father's life seen as very difficult and sad?
2. Who is Danno Bredin?
3. What does Father Nugent talk to the boy narrator about and why does it make him uncomfortable?
4. Why doesn't the boy reveal to his parents what he knows of Eddie's death?
5. What does Crazy Joe know about the mystery surrounding Eddie's death?
6. Why is Una's death seen as an outlet for the boy's mother?
7. Why is the boy again upset with his mother at the end of Chapter 5?
8. Why does the boy's mother begin to treat him unkindly?
9. Why doesn't the author ever reveal the narrator's first name?
10. Why does Sergeant Burke say he beat up Frank and why does he apologize for it?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)