|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who begins to visit the boy's mother regularly in Chapter 6?
(a) The priest.
(b) Sergeant Burke.
(c) Crazy Joe.
2. What happens two days before the boy visits his parents in Chapter 6?
(a) A soldier is shot dead on their doorstep.
(b) The story of Eddie's death becomes public.
(c) The town gets snowed in.
(d) His mother dies.
3. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
(a) The distillery.
(b) The library.
(c) The brothel.
4. Who does Larry meet on his way home from Grianan?
(a) The devil-woman.
(b) The boy's grandfather.
(c) Crazy Joe.
(d) Sergeant Burke.
5. Why does the boy's father threaten Crazy Joe in Chapter 6?
(a) Because he was mean to the boy.
(b) Because he laid a hand on the boy's knee.
(c) Because he was giving the boy bad advice.
(d) Because he was trying to steal from the boy.
6. Why will no one ever know what really happened to Eddie in the secret passageway of Grianan?
(a) Those who know were sworn to secrecy.
(b) The records of his death were burned.
(c) Larry does not speak anymore.
(d) No one was there to witness what happened after he was sealed inside the passageway.
7. For what does Sergeant Burke apologize in 1957?
(a) For beating up Frank.
(b) For killing Eddie.
(c) For revealing McIlhenny as the informer.
(d) For cheating on his wife.
8. When Sergeant Burke comes to talk to the boy's mother, what does he reveal as his reason for beating her husband?
(a) To keep Frank out of jail.
(c) He had evidence that Frank was involved in Eddie's death.
(d) He thought Frank was guilty at the time.
9. Why does the boy's mother warn him to stay away from the person she warns him about?
(a) She's afraid the person will harm the boy.
(b) She's afraid the person will reveal too much.
(c) She's afraid the person will find out too much.
(d) She's afraid the person will tell her husband about Eddie's disappearance.
10. Who is Charlie McCabe?
(a) A local Protestant police officer.
(b) A Catholic priest.
(c) An informer.
(d) A local post office inspector.
11. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
(a) Her dress.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) The gun.
(d) Her pills.
12. Where do the police help McIlhenny escape to after he was tipped off to the boy's grandfather in 1926?
(b) New York.
13. The man with the baby sock said he would stop traveling on the bus after what happens?
(a) After he runs out of bus money.
(b) After he finds the other sock.
(c) After he reaches his destination.
(d) After he finds the owner of the sock.
14. Where does the boy go with Moran in Chapter 4?
(a) A football match.
(b) The circus.
(c) The distillery.
(d) The boy's house.
15. How does the boy's father die?
(a) An aneurysm.
(b) A second heart attack.
(c) An accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the boy's father right before he retires?
2. When do the boy's parents meet?
3. Who is the man who always carried a baby sock in his small brown case?
4. How long are Bernadette and Ena kept in the shed until the boy's father finds them?
5. What is Claire's last expression?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)