|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who also visits the boy's parents as he is there in Chapter 6?
(b) The dead soldier's father.
(c) Crazy Joe.
(d) Sergeant Burke.
2. Who is the man who always carried a baby sock in his small brown case?
3. What is Claire's last expression?
4. Who is Charlie McCabe?
(a) An informer.
(b) A local Protestant police officer.
(c) A Catholic priest.
(d) A local post office inspector.
5. Where does Jimmy go to work for several years?
6. To whom is the boy attracted in Chapter 4?
7. When the boy encounters Crazy Joe in Chapter 5, what does Crazy Joe ask him to do?
(a) Show him the way to the park.
(b) Walk him to the library.
(c) Tell him about Eddie.
(d) Sing him some songs.
8. How long does the boy piece together that his father knew the full story about Eddie being an informant?
(a) Since 1922.
(b) Since 1930.
(c) Since 1935.
(d) Since 1928.
9. What happens two days before the boy visits his parents in Chapter 6?
(a) His mother dies.
(b) The town gets snowed in.
(c) The story of Eddie's death becomes public.
(d) A soldier is shot dead on their doorstep.
10. What is his mother's response when the boy asks her what she wants for her birthday?
(a) She wants to move away.
(b) She wants to forget everything.
(c) She wants a new house.
(d) She wants Tony to come back.
11. How long are Bernadette and Ena kept in the shed until the boy's father finds them?
(a) Eleven months.
(b) Eight months.
(c) A year and a half.
(d) Three months.
12. When does the boy's mother find out the truth about Eddie?
(a) After Tony disappears.
(b) She never learns the truth of Eddie's death.
(c) After she marries the boy's father.
(d) Right before her father dies.
13. In what language does the boy write the final copy?
14. What happens to the boy's mother in 1968?
(a) She goes insane.
(b) She suffers a stroke.
(c) She meets an old friend.
(d) She gets in an accident.
15. Which one of these characters does not know the truth about Eddie's death in Chapter 5?
(a) The boy's father.
(b) The boy's grandfather.
(c) The boy's mother.
(d) The boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is introduced at the local community hall?
2. What does Katie's sister tell her that upsets her?
3. When do Eddie's parents die?
4. Who was Jimmy in love with?
5. To whom does the baby sock belong?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)