|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Charlie McCabe?
(a) An informer.
(b) A local post office inspector.
(c) A local Protestant police officer.
(d) A Catholic priest.
2. How does his mother's body change after what happens to her in 1968?
(a) She loses the ability to speak.
(b) She loses her hearing.
(c) She loses a limb.
(d) She goes blind.
3. In what year does the boy enter university?
4. The boy's mother's depression causes her to do what?
(a) Stop talking.
(b) Have panic attacks.
(d) Throw things.
5. When do the boy's parents marry?
6. When Sergeant Burke comes to talk to the boy's mother, what does he reveal as his reason for beating her husband?
(a) To keep Frank out of jail.
(c) He thought Frank was guilty at the time.
(d) He had evidence that Frank was involved in Eddie's death.
7. An army chaplain comes to the school to talk to the boys about what?
(b) The plague.
(c) The war.
8. What happens to the boy's mother in 1968?
(a) She gets in an accident.
(b) She suffers a stroke.
(c) She meets an old friend.
(d) She goes insane.
9. Who was Jimmy in love with?
10. To what does Father Nugent compare murder?
(a) Sex without love.
(b) Disobeying your parents.
(c) Hating your brother.
11. What event is introduced at the local community hall?
(a) Job fairs.
(b) Dinner gatherings.
(c) Social evenings with music.
(d) Textiles classes.
12. Where does the boy go with Moran in Chapter 4?
(a) The boy's house.
(b) The circus.
(c) The distillery.
(d) A football match.
13. What advice does Crazy Joe give the boy in Chapter 6?
(a) Talk to his mother about Eddie.
(b) Plant a garden.
(c) Chase girls.
(d) Read books.
14. Why doesn't the girl return Jimmy's affection?
(a) She doesn't associate with his family.
(b) She loves someone else.
(c) She moves away.
(d) She lives a life of celibacy.
15. When does the boy's mother find out the truth about Eddie?
(a) After Tony disappears.
(b) Right before her father dies.
(c) She never learns the truth of Eddie's death.
(d) After she marries the boy's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What version of the boy's story does he burn?
2. Why does Sergeant Burke want the situation with Eddie's death cleared up?
3. What does Jimmy do before he is found dead?
4. What language does the boy use to his advantage because his parents do not understand it?
5. Who begins to visit the boy's mother regularly in Chapter 6?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)