|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will no one ever know what really happened to Eddie in the secret passageway of Grianan?
(a) Those who know were sworn to secrecy.
(b) The records of his death were burned.
(c) Larry does not speak anymore.
(d) No one was there to witness what happened after he was sealed inside the passageway.
2. At the very end of the book, what does the narrator think he hears as he is going down the stairs?
(a) A siren.
(b) The clock tower.
(c) A bird.
(d) A sigh.
3. In which class do the boys discuss the speech given by the army chaplain?
(a) Math class.
(b) Geography class.
(c) English class.
(d) History class.
4. What is Claire's last expression?
5. When does the boy's mother find out the truth about Eddie?
(a) She never learns the truth of Eddie's death.
(b) After she marries the boy's father.
(c) After Tony disappears.
(d) Right before her father dies.
6. Who does Larry meet on his way home from Grianan?
(a) The devil-woman.
(b) Crazy Joe.
(c) Sergeant Burke.
(d) The boy's grandfather.
7. What information does Katie have over her sister?
(a) Where Katie's sister's husband ran off.
(b) Tony left her sister to be with Katie.
(c) The details of Eddie's disappearance.
(d) What happened to their parents.
8. What is wrong about the boy taking Irene to the cinema?
(a) The cinema is closed.
(b) He doesn't have any money.
(c) She is Grenaghan's girlfriend.
(d) He forgets where the cinema is.
9. Which two groups does the boy's mother find out were collaborating together?
(a) The police and the boy's uncles.
(b) The boy's uncles and the priests.
(c) The police and the priests.
(d) The priests and the IRA.
10. For what does Sergeant Burke apologize in 1957?
(a) For cheating on his wife.
(b) For killing Eddie.
(c) For beating up Frank.
(d) For revealing McIlhenny as the informer.
11. What version of the boy's story does he burn?
(a) The Irish version.
(b) The final version.
(c) The English version.
(d) The miscopied version.
12. When Sergeant Burke comes to talk to the boy's mother, what does he reveal as his reason for beating her husband?
(a) He had evidence that Frank was involved in Eddie's death.
(b) To keep Frank out of jail.
(d) He thought Frank was guilty at the time.
13. Who also visits the boy's parents as he is there in Chapter 6?
(b) The dead soldier's father.
(c) Crazy Joe.
(d) Sergeant Burke.
14. In September 1954, the boy's teacher asks several unanswerable questions in which class?
15. Who is Charlie McCabe?
(a) An informer.
(b) A Catholic priest.
(c) A local Protestant police officer.
(d) A local post office inspector.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jimmy from Chapter 4?
2. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
3. Where does Jimmy go to work for several years?
4. What does the boy conclude about his mother during Chapter 5?
5. Where does the boy go with Moran in Chapter 4?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)