|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 6, how many of the boy's parents' children live at home?
2. What is his mother's response when the boy asks her what she wants for her birthday?
(a) She wants Tony to come back.
(b) She wants to move away.
(c) She wants to forget everything.
(d) She wants a new house.
3. When the boy encounters Crazy Joe in Chapter 5, what does Crazy Joe ask him to do?
(a) Tell him about Eddie.
(b) Show him the way to the park.
(c) Sing him some songs.
(d) Walk him to the library.
4. Where does the boy go to university?
5. What happens to the boy's mother in 1968?
(a) She gets in an accident.
(b) She meets an old friend.
(c) She suffers a stroke.
(d) She goes insane.
6. Upon what does the Anglican army chaplain say communism is based?
7. Why does the boy not tell his mother everything he knows about Eddie's death?
(a) He thinks she is too sensitive to handle the truth.
(b) He thinks that she already knows the truth but is hiding it.
(c) He is afraid of her reaction.
(d) He doesn't think she deserves to know.
8. What eventually happens to Danno?
(a) He moves away.
(b) He returns to the military.
(c) He starts a new family.
(d) He becomes ill and dies.
9. What happens two days before the boy visits his parents in Chapter 6?
(a) A soldier is shot dead on their doorstep.
(b) The story of Eddie's death becomes public.
(c) His mother dies.
(d) The town gets snowed in.
10. At the very end of the book, what does the narrator think he hears as he is going down the stairs?
(a) A sigh.
(b) The clock tower.
(c) A siren.
(d) A bird.
11. Who does Larry meet on his way home from Grianan?
(a) Crazy Joe.
(b) The boy's grandfather.
(c) Sergeant Burke.
(d) The devil-woman.
12. What does the boy's mother say out-of-the-blue while he is washing dishes with his father?
(a) "We only live once."
(b) "The queen smiles for a day."
(c) "Paradise was not far away when I died."
(d) "Silence follows those who know the truth."
13. From whom does the boy's mother warn him to stay away in Chapter 6?
(a) The priests.
(b) Crazy Joe.
(c) His uncles.
(d) The police.
14. When do Eddie's parents die?
15. In which class do the boys discuss the speech given by the army chaplain?
(a) English class.
(b) Geography class.
(c) History class.
(d) Math class.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the boy punished in 1954 by the Dean?
2. When Danno returns home, what does he find?
3. What happens to the boy's father right before he retires?
4. Which two groups does the boy's mother find out were collaborating together?
5. How does the boy's father die?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)