|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An army chaplain comes to the school to talk to the boys about what?
(a) The plague.
(b) The war.
2. What happens two days before the boy visits his parents in Chapter 6?
(a) His mother dies.
(b) A soldier is shot dead on their doorstep.
(c) The town gets snowed in.
(d) The story of Eddie's death becomes public.
3. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
(a) He doesn't trust his mother.
(b) She had been in love with someone other than his father.
(c) She was involved in Eddie's death.
(d) She is faking her depression.
4. Who does Larry meet on his way home from Grianan?
(a) Crazy Joe.
(b) The boy's grandfather.
(c) Sergeant Burke.
(d) The devil-woman.
5. What advice does Crazy Joe give the boy in Chapter 6?
(a) Plant a garden.
(b) Chase girls.
(c) Talk to his mother about Eddie.
(d) Read books.
6. How does his mother's body change after what happens to her in 1968?
(a) She goes blind.
(b) She loses the ability to speak.
(c) She loses a limb.
(d) She loses her hearing.
7. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
(a) The distillery.
(b) The brothel.
(d) The library.
8. Who is Danno Bredin?
(a) Jimmy's brother.
(b) Claire's father.
(c) The boy's friend.
(d) Young man in the navy.
9. Who begins to visit the boy's mother regularly in Chapter 6?
(b) Crazy Joe.
(c) The priest.
(d) Sergeant Burke.
10. What happens to the boy's father right before he retires?
(a) He reveals everything about Eddie's death.
(b) He dies.
(c) He goes missing.
(d) He suffers a heart attack.
11. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) The gun.
(c) Her dress.
(d) Her pills.
12. Who also visits the boy's parents as he is there in Chapter 6?
(a) Sergeant Burke.
(b) Crazy Joe.
(c) The dead soldier's father.
13. On the day the boy earns his degree from university, when does he arrive home to tell the family?
(c) On time.
(d) He didn't get the chance to tell them.
14. What happens to the boy's mother after she stops taking the medicine?
(a) Her state of mind improves.
(b) She becomes suicidal.
(c) She becomes healthier.
(d) She loses her memory.
15. In what year does the novel conclude?
Short Answer Questions
1. In September 1954, the boy's teacher asks several unanswerable questions in which class?
2. What is the moral of the story about the man with the baby sock?
3. The man with the baby sock said he would stop traveling on the bus after what happens?
4. Where do the police help McIlhenny escape to after he was tipped off to the boy's grandfather in 1926?
5. When do Eddie's parents die?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)