|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what language does the boy write the final copy?
2. From whom does the boy's mother warn him to stay away in Chapter 6?
(a) Crazy Joe.
(b) The police.
(c) His uncles.
(d) The priests.
3. What happens to the boy's mother in 1968?
(a) She goes insane.
(b) She meets an old friend.
(c) She gets in an accident.
(d) She suffers a stroke.
4. How does Jimmy die?
(a) Heart attack.
(b) Broken neck.
(c) Gunshot wound.
5. Who told the boy the story of the man with the baby sock?
(a) Crazy Joe.
(b) His mother.
(d) His father.
6. An army chaplain comes to the school to talk to the boys about what?
(a) The plague.
(c) The war.
7. After his mother tells him much of the story of Eddie's death at the end of Chapter 5, why is the boy still hurt?
(a) He thinks his mother does not know the truth.
(b) She does not tell him everything.
(c) He doesn't understand the full story.
(d) She lies.
8. When do Eddie's parents die?
9. What information does Katie have over her sister?
(a) Where Katie's sister's husband ran off.
(b) Tony left her sister to be with Katie.
(c) The details of Eddie's disappearance.
(d) What happened to their parents.
10. Where does Jimmy go to work for several years?
11. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
(a) He doesn't trust his mother.
(b) She is faking her depression.
(c) She was involved in Eddie's death.
(d) She had been in love with someone other than his father.
12. What does the boy write down in the exercise book?
(a) The story of Brigid.
(b) An essay for school.
(c) An apology letter.
(d) The details of Eddie's death.
13. Why does the boy not tell his mother everything he knows about Eddie's death?
(a) He thinks that she already knows the truth but is hiding it.
(b) He thinks she is too sensitive to handle the truth.
(c) He doesn't think she deserves to know.
(d) He is afraid of her reaction.
14. Who is Jimmy from Chapter 4?
(a) Grenaghan's grandfather.
(b) One of the boy's uncles.
(c) A clergyman at the church.
(d) A neighbor.
15. What is the moral of the story about the man with the baby sock?
(a) People won't find anything if they keep their eyes closed for too long.
(b) People can't move on if they don't let go.
(c) People will only find what they're looking for if they stop searching.
(d) People in small places make big mistakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was McIlhenny involved with before he marries Katie?
2. Where does the boy go with Moran in Chapter 4?
3. What does the boy think happened to Eddie in the secret passage of Grianan?
4. Which of these statements about the local asylum is true?
5. The boy's mother's depression causes her to do what?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)