|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Sergeant Burke comes to talk to the boy's mother, what does he reveal as his reason for beating her husband?
(a) He thought Frank was guilty at the time.
(b) He had evidence that Frank was involved in Eddie's death.
(c) To keep Frank out of jail.
2. At the very end of the book, what does the narrator think he hears as he is going down the stairs?
(a) A sigh.
(b) A siren.
(c) A bird.
(d) The clock tower.
3. How long does the boy piece together that his father knew the full story about Eddie being an informant?
(a) Since 1928.
(b) Since 1922.
(c) Since 1930.
(d) Since 1935.
4. To whom does the baby sock belong?
(a) The man's sister.
(b) No one knows.
(c) The man's niece.
(d) The man's daughter.
5. What happens to the boy's mother after she stops taking the medicine?
(a) She becomes healthier.
(b) She loses her memory.
(c) Her state of mind improves.
(d) She becomes suicidal.
6. After his mother tells him much of the story of Eddie's death at the end of Chapter 5, why is the boy still hurt?
(a) She does not tell him everything.
(b) He doesn't understand the full story.
(c) She lies.
(d) He thinks his mother does not know the truth.
7. What is Claire's last expression?
8. What does Katie's sister tell her that upsets her?
(a) That Meave will stop talking to Katie soon.
(b) That Tony really loved Katie's sister instead.
(c) That Meave's husband will leave her just like Katie's husband left her.
(d) That Meave's husband would soon cheat on her.
9. In September 1954, the boy's teacher asks several unanswerable questions in which class?
10. Who was McIlhenny involved with before he marries Katie?
(d) The boy's mother.
11. Why does the boy not tell his mother everything he knows about Eddie's death?
(a) He doesn't think she deserves to know.
(b) He thinks that she already knows the truth but is hiding it.
(c) He is afraid of her reaction.
(d) He thinks she is too sensitive to handle the truth.
12. What information does Katie have over her sister?
(a) Tony left her sister to be with Katie.
(b) Where Katie's sister's husband ran off.
(c) What happened to their parents.
(d) The details of Eddie's disappearance.
13. How does his mother's body change after what happens to her in 1968?
(a) She goes blind.
(b) She loses a limb.
(c) She loses her hearing.
(d) She loses the ability to speak.
14. After the boy's mother develops depression, what does she begin to have visions of?
15. When do Eddie's parents die?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sergeant Burke want the situation with Eddie's death cleared up?
2. What reason does the boy's mother give for not taking her medicine?
3. When do the boy's parents marry?
4. What does the boy's mother say out-of-the-blue while he is washing dishes with his father?
5. From whom does the boy's mother warn him to stay away in Chapter 6?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)