|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of these characters does not know the truth about Eddie's death in Chapter 5?
(a) The boy.
(b) The boy's mother.
(c) The boy's father.
(d) The boy's grandfather.
2. What does Jimmy do before he is found dead?
(a) He curses at the window of the room where Danno had lived.
(b) He visits the doctor.
(c) He kills Claire.
(d) He hides the gun.
3. What information does Katie have over her sister?
(a) Tony left her sister to be with Katie.
(b) Where Katie's sister's husband ran off.
(c) The details of Eddie's disappearance.
(d) What happened to their parents.
4. How does Jimmy die?
(a) Broken neck.
(c) Gunshot wound.
(d) Heart attack.
5. Which of these statements about the local asylum is true?
(a) It has a reputation for cruel treatment of patients.
(b) It went under right after Eddie's disappearance.
(c) It has a positive turnover rate.
(d) It has only male patients.
6. After the boy's mother develops depression, what does she begin to have visions of?
7. When do the boy's parents marry?
8. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
(a) The distillery.
(b) The brothel.
(d) The library.
9. Why does Sergeant Burke want the situation with Eddie's death cleared up?
(a) So that the boy's mother is happy again.
(b) So that he can sleep at night.
(c) So that the children will not be poisoned by it.
(d) So that someone will be punished for it.
10. What passages of scripture does the boy find intriguing?
(a) The gospel parables.
(b) The prophecies of revelation.
(c) The law of the Old Testament.
(d) The ones about good and evil.
11. What is Claire's last expression?
12. What is the moral of the story about the man with the baby sock?
(a) People won't find anything if they keep their eyes closed for too long.
(b) People can't move on if they don't let go.
(c) People in small places make big mistakes.
(d) People will only find what they're looking for if they stop searching.
13. How does his mother's body change after what happens to her in 1968?
(a) She loses the ability to speak.
(b) She loses a limb.
(c) She loses her hearing.
(d) She goes blind.
14. What language does the boy use to his advantage because his parents do not understand it?
15. How long does the boy piece together that his father knew the full story about Eddie being an informant?
(a) Since 1935.
(b) Since 1922.
(c) Since 1930.
(d) Since 1928.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
2. When the boy encounters Crazy Joe in Chapter 5, what does Crazy Joe ask him to do?
3. To what does Father Nugent compare murder?
4. What event is introduced at the local community hall?
5. For what does Sergeant Burke apologize in 1957?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)