|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jimmy from Chapter 4?
(a) A clergyman at the church.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) Grenaghan's grandfather.
(d) One of the boy's uncles.
2. When Sergeant Burke comes to talk to the boy's mother, what does he reveal as his reason for beating her husband?
(a) He had evidence that Frank was involved in Eddie's death.
(b) To keep Frank out of jail.
(d) He thought Frank was guilty at the time.
3. How does the boy's father die?
(a) A second heart attack.
(c) An accident.
(d) An aneurysm.
4. In what year does the boy enter university?
5. Why does Sergeant Burke want the situation with Eddie's death cleared up?
(a) So that the children will not be poisoned by it.
(b) So that someone will be punished for it.
(c) So that the boy's mother is happy again.
(d) So that he can sleep at night.
6. How does his mother's body change after what happens to her in 1968?
(a) She loses her hearing.
(b) She loses a limb.
(c) She loses the ability to speak.
(d) She goes blind.
7. What does Jimmy do before he is found dead?
(a) He hides the gun.
(b) He curses at the window of the room where Danno had lived.
(c) He kills Claire.
(d) He visits the doctor.
8. Who was Jimmy in love with?
9. Who was McIlhenny involved with before he marries Katie?
(d) The boy's mother.
10. At the very end of the book, what does the narrator think he hears as he is going down the stairs?
(a) A sigh.
(b) A bird.
(c) A siren.
(d) The clock tower.
11. Who teaches the boy about sex?
(a) His mother.
(b) Brother Regan.
(c) Father Nugent.
(d) His father.
12. Where does Jimmy go to work for several years?
13. When Danno returns home, what does he find?
(a) Nobody remembers who he is.
(b) His family is gone.
(c) His house has burned down.
(d) His wife living with another man.
14. Upon what does the Anglican army chaplain say communism is based?
15. Where do the police help McIlhenny escape to after he was tipped off to the boy's grandfather in 1926?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy's mother warn him to stay away from the person she warns him about?
2. Who is Charlie McCabe?
3. What does the boy conclude about his mother during Chapter 5?
4. How long are Bernadette and Ena kept in the shed until the boy's father finds them?
5. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)