|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the boy piece together that his father knew the full story about Eddie being an informant?
(a) Since 1922.
(b) Since 1928.
(c) Since 1930.
(d) Since 1935.
2. Why does the boy not tell his mother everything he knows about Eddie's death?
(a) He thinks she is too sensitive to handle the truth.
(b) He is afraid of her reaction.
(c) He doesn't think she deserves to know.
(d) He thinks that she already knows the truth but is hiding it.
3. On the day the boy earns his degree from university, when does he arrive home to tell the family?
(a) He didn't get the chance to tell them.
(b) On time.
4. Who also visits the boy's parents as he is there in Chapter 6?
(a) Sergeant Burke.
(b) The dead soldier's father.
(d) Crazy Joe.
5. How does the boy's father die?
(b) An aneurysm.
(c) An accident.
(d) A second heart attack.
6. When the boy encounters Crazy Joe in Chapter 5, what does Crazy Joe ask him to do?
(a) Tell him about Eddie.
(b) Walk him to the library.
(c) Show him the way to the park.
(d) Sing him some songs.
7. What does the boy write down in the exercise book?
(a) An essay for school.
(b) An apology letter.
(c) The story of Brigid.
(d) The details of Eddie's death.
8. What does the boy say is significant because of the mother's change?
(a) Her mind won't linger on the secret of loving McIlhenny anymore.
(b) She can't hear the lies about Eddie any longer.
(c) She is no longer depressed.
(d) Her secret is now locked inside of her.
9. What version of the boy's story does he burn?
(a) The English version.
(b) The Irish version.
(c) The miscopied version.
(d) The final version.
10. What is Claire's last expression?
11. Who was McIlhenny involved with before he marries Katie?
(d) The boy's mother.
12. What is wrong about the boy taking Irene to the cinema?
(a) The cinema is closed.
(b) He forgets where the cinema is.
(c) She is Grenaghan's girlfriend.
(d) He doesn't have any money.
13. What happens to the boy's mother after she stops taking the medicine?
(a) She loses her memory.
(b) Her state of mind improves.
(c) She becomes suicidal.
(d) She becomes healthier.
14. What passages of scripture does the boy find intriguing?
(a) The ones about good and evil.
(b) The law of the Old Testament.
(c) The prophecies of revelation.
(d) The gospel parables.
15. Who was Jimmy in love with?
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what does the Anglican army chaplain say communism is based?
2. What does Crazy Joe reveal to the boy?
3. What is his mother's response when the boy asks her what she wants for her birthday?
4. To whom does the baby sock belong?
5. How long are Bernadette and Ena kept in the shed until the boy's father finds them?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)