|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does the boy use to his advantage because his parents do not understand it?
2. What reason does the boy's mother give for not taking her medicine?
(a) She doesn't think it is working.
(b) It is ruining her teeth.
(c) She claims the medicine is a placebo.
(d) It tastes disgusting.
3. To whom is the boy attracted in Chapter 4?
4. Why does the boy's mother warn him to stay away from the person she warns him about?
(a) She's afraid the person will reveal too much.
(b) She's afraid the person will tell her husband about Eddie's disappearance.
(c) She's afraid the person will find out too much.
(d) She's afraid the person will harm the boy.
5. To what does Father Nugent compare murder?
(b) Disobeying your parents.
(c) Hating your brother.
(d) Sex without love.
6. Which of these statements about the local asylum is true?
(a) It has a positive turnover rate.
(b) It went under right after Eddie's disappearance.
(c) It has only male patients.
(d) It has a reputation for cruel treatment of patients.
7. What does the boy think happened to Eddie in the secret passage of Grianan?
(a) His grandfather shot him.
(b) Eddie starved to death.
(c) Larry shot him.
(d) Eddie was swallowed up by the earth.
8. After the boy's mother develops depression, what does she begin to have visions of?
9. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
(a) The library.
(b) The brothel.
(d) The distillery.
10. When does the boy's mother find out the truth about Eddie?
(a) After she marries the boy's father.
(b) Right before her father dies.
(c) After Tony disappears.
(d) She never learns the truth of Eddie's death.
11. Where does the boy go to university?
12. After his mother tells him much of the story of Eddie's death at the end of Chapter 5, why is the boy still hurt?
(a) He doesn't understand the full story.
(b) She does not tell him everything.
(c) He thinks his mother does not know the truth.
(d) She lies.
13. What does the boy say is significant because of the mother's change?
(a) She can't hear the lies about Eddie any longer.
(b) Her mind won't linger on the secret of loving McIlhenny anymore.
(c) She is no longer depressed.
(d) Her secret is now locked inside of her.
14. How does the boy's father die?
(b) A second heart attack.
(c) An aneurysm.
(d) An accident.
15. Who teaches the boy about sex?
(a) Father Nugent.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) Brother Regan.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boy's mother's depression causes her to do what?
2. What happens to the boy's father right before he retires?
3. What event is introduced at the local community hall?
4. What happens two days before the boy visits his parents in Chapter 6?
5. What is his mother's response when the boy asks her what she wants for her birthday?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)