|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the boy piece together that his father knew the full story about Eddie being an informant?
(a) Since 1922.
(b) Since 1935.
(c) Since 1930.
(d) Since 1928.
2. Where is Eddie interrogated?
(a) Behind the house.
(b) In the shed.
(c) At the distillery.
(d) At the Donegal farmhouse.
3. What does the boy think happened to Eddie in the secret passage of Grianan?
(a) Larry shot him.
(b) His grandfather shot him.
(c) Eddie starved to death.
(d) Eddie was swallowed up by the earth.
4. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
(a) The library.
(c) The brothel.
(d) The distillery.
5. What does the boy write down in the exercise book?
(a) The story of Brigid.
(b) The details of Eddie's death.
(c) An essay for school.
(d) An apology letter.
6. What language does the boy use to his advantage because his parents do not understand it?
7. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
(a) The gun.
(b) Her dress.
(c) Her pills.
(d) The newspaper.
8. Why will no one ever know what really happened to Eddie in the secret passageway of Grianan?
(a) Larry does not speak anymore.
(b) The records of his death were burned.
(c) No one was there to witness what happened after he was sealed inside the passageway.
(d) Those who know were sworn to secrecy.
9. When does the boy's mother find out the truth about Eddie?
(a) She never learns the truth of Eddie's death.
(b) After she marries the boy's father.
(c) After Tony disappears.
(d) Right before her father dies.
10. What reason does the boy's mother give for not taking her medicine?
(a) She claims the medicine is a placebo.
(b) It tastes disgusting.
(c) She doesn't think it is working.
(d) It is ruining her teeth.
11. What is Claire's last expression?
12. What is the moral of the story about the man with the baby sock?
(a) People can't move on if they don't let go.
(b) People won't find anything if they keep their eyes closed for too long.
(c) People will only find what they're looking for if they stop searching.
(d) People in small places make big mistakes.
13. When the boy encounters Crazy Joe in Chapter 5, what does Crazy Joe ask him to do?
(a) Show him the way to the park.
(b) Sing him some songs.
(c) Walk him to the library.
(d) Tell him about Eddie.
14. When Sergeant Burke comes to talk to the boy's mother, what does he reveal as his reason for beating her husband?
(a) To keep Frank out of jail.
(b) He thought Frank was guilty at the time.
(d) He had evidence that Frank was involved in Eddie's death.
15. Which two groups does the boy's mother find out were collaborating together?
(a) The priests and the IRA.
(b) The boy's uncles and the priests.
(c) The police and the priests.
(d) The police and the boy's uncles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Danno returns home, what does he find?
2. What does Crazy Joe reveal to the boy?
3. How does the boy's father die?
4. What happens two days before the boy visits his parents in Chapter 6?
5. Who was McIlhenny involved with before he marries Katie?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)