|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Eddie's parents die?
2. In September 1954, the boy's teacher asks several unanswerable questions in which class?
3. From whom does the boy's mother warn him to stay away in Chapter 6?
(a) His uncles.
(b) The priests.
(c) Crazy Joe.
(d) The police.
4. When Sergeant Burke comes to talk to the boy's mother, what does he reveal as his reason for beating her husband?
(a) He had evidence that Frank was involved in Eddie's death.
(b) He thought Frank was guilty at the time.
(c) To keep Frank out of jail.
5. How does the boy's father die?
(b) An aneurysm.
(c) A second heart attack.
(d) An accident.
6. What happens to the boy's father right before he retires?
(a) He reveals everything about Eddie's death.
(b) He goes missing.
(c) He dies.
(d) He suffers a heart attack.
7. What happens to the boy after he takes the girl to the cinema?
(a) He asks her to be his girlfriend.
(b) His parents see him kiss her goodnight.
(c) He gives her flowers.
(d) He gets hit after being set up by the girl.
8. In what year does the boy enter university?
9. Where does Jimmy go to work for several years?
10. In what year does the novel conclude?
11. Why does the boy's mother warn him to stay away from the person she warns him about?
(a) She's afraid the person will tell her husband about Eddie's disappearance.
(b) She's afraid the person will harm the boy.
(c) She's afraid the person will reveal too much.
(d) She's afraid the person will find out too much.
12. Who teaches the boy about sex?
(a) His father.
(b) Father Nugent.
(c) Brother Regan.
(d) His mother.
13. What information does Katie have over her sister?
(a) Where Katie's sister's husband ran off.
(b) What happened to their parents.
(c) Tony left her sister to be with Katie.
(d) The details of Eddie's disappearance.
14. Why does the boy not tell his mother everything he knows about Eddie's death?
(a) He thinks she is too sensitive to handle the truth.
(b) He thinks that she already knows the truth but is hiding it.
(c) He is afraid of her reaction.
(d) He doesn't think she deserves to know.
15. According to Chapter 6, what was Tony's job before he disappeared?
(a) Police inspector.
(b) Coal mine worker.
(c) Bus conductor.
(d) Train operator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins to visit the boy's mother regularly in Chapter 6?
2. Why is the boy's mother afraid of her visitor?
3. How long are Bernadette and Ena kept in the shed until the boy's father finds them?
4. What is the moral of the story about the man with the baby sock?
5. Who was McIlhenny involved with before he marries Katie?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)