|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the boy piece together that his father knew the full story about Eddie being an informant?
(a) Since 1922.
(b) Since 1935.
(c) Since 1928.
(d) Since 1930.
2. In September 1954, the boy's teacher asks several unanswerable questions in which class?
3. What does Jimmy do before he is found dead?
(a) He visits the doctor.
(b) He kills Claire.
(c) He curses at the window of the room where Danno had lived.
(d) He hides the gun.
4. Who is the man who always carried a baby sock in his small brown case?
5. What information does Katie have over her sister?
(a) Tony left her sister to be with Katie.
(b) Where Katie's sister's husband ran off.
(c) The details of Eddie's disappearance.
(d) What happened to their parents.
6. What does the boy conclude about his mother during Chapter 5?
(a) She always knew McIlhenny was an informer.
(b) She always knew about Eddie's death.
(c) She was always insane.
(d) She didn't really like Tony.
7. According to Chapter 6, what was Tony's job before he disappeared?
(a) Bus conductor.
(b) Police inspector.
(c) Coal mine worker.
(d) Train operator.
8. What is wrong about the boy taking Irene to the cinema?
(a) She is Grenaghan's girlfriend.
(b) He doesn't have any money.
(c) The cinema is closed.
(d) He forgets where the cinema is.
9. Which of these statements about the local asylum is true?
(a) It went under right after Eddie's disappearance.
(b) It has a positive turnover rate.
(c) It has a reputation for cruel treatment of patients.
(d) It has only male patients.
10. Who was McIlhenny involved with before he marries Katie?
(c) The boy's mother.
11. What reason does the boy's mother give for not taking her medicine?
(a) It is ruining her teeth.
(b) It tastes disgusting.
(c) She claims the medicine is a placebo.
(d) She doesn't think it is working.
12. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
(b) The brothel.
(c) The distillery.
(d) The library.
13. Why is the boy's mother afraid of her visitor?
(a) The person might reveal too much.
(b) The person might find out too much.
(c) The person might hurt her.
(d) The person might take her from her family.
14. What version of the boy's story does he burn?
(a) The Irish version.
(b) The English version.
(c) The miscopied version.
(d) The final version.
15. What happens to the boy's mother after she stops taking the medicine?
(a) Her state of mind improves.
(b) She loses her memory.
(c) She becomes healthier.
(d) She becomes suicidal.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the baby sock belong?
2. To whom is the boy attracted in Chapter 4?
3. Upon what does the Anglican army chaplain say communism is based?
4. When Danno returns home, what does he find?
5. What passages of scripture does the boy find intriguing?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)