|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy conclude about his mother during Chapter 5?
(a) She didn't really like Tony.
(b) She always knew McIlhenny was an informer.
(c) She always knew about Eddie's death.
(d) She was always insane.
2. What is Claire's last expression?
3. Why does Sergeant Burke want the situation with Eddie's death cleared up?
(a) So that someone will be punished for it.
(b) So that the boy's mother is happy again.
(c) So that he can sleep at night.
(d) So that the children will not be poisoned by it.
4. Which of these statements about the local asylum is true?
(a) It has a reputation for cruel treatment of patients.
(b) It has only male patients.
(c) It has a positive turnover rate.
(d) It went under right after Eddie's disappearance.
5. After his mother tells him much of the story of Eddie's death at the end of Chapter 5, why is the boy still hurt?
(a) He doesn't understand the full story.
(b) She lies.
(c) He thinks his mother does not know the truth.
(d) She does not tell him everything.
6. What happens to the boy after he takes the girl to the cinema?
(a) He gets hit after being set up by the girl.
(b) His parents see him kiss her goodnight.
(c) He asks her to be his girlfriend.
(d) He gives her flowers.
7. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
(a) The distillery.
(b) The library.
(c) The brothel.
8. What does the boy say is significant because of the mother's change?
(a) She can't hear the lies about Eddie any longer.
(b) She is no longer depressed.
(c) Her secret is now locked inside of her.
(d) Her mind won't linger on the secret of loving McIlhenny anymore.
9. In what year does the novel conclude?
10. Why does the boy's mother warn him to stay away from the person she warns him about?
(a) She's afraid the person will find out too much.
(b) She's afraid the person will reveal too much.
(c) She's afraid the person will harm the boy.
(d) She's afraid the person will tell her husband about Eddie's disappearance.
11. How does his mother's body change after what happens to her in 1968?
(a) She loses a limb.
(b) She loses her hearing.
(c) She loses the ability to speak.
(d) She goes blind.
12. The boy's mother's depression causes her to do what?
(b) Have panic attacks.
(c) Throw things.
(d) Stop talking.
13. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
(a) The gun.
(b) Her dress.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) Her pills.
14. Where is Eddie interrogated?
(a) At the Donegal farmhouse.
(b) Behind the house.
(c) At the distillery.
(d) In the shed.
15. Who is Danno Bredin?
(a) The boy's friend.
(b) Claire's father.
(c) Young man in the navy.
(d) Jimmy's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is his mother's response when the boy asks her what she wants for her birthday?
2. Who was Jimmy in love with?
3. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
4. Who also visits the boy's parents as he is there in Chapter 6?
5. When the boy encounters Crazy Joe in Chapter 5, what does Crazy Joe ask him to do?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)