|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the boy punished in 1954 by the Dean?
(a) Skipping the retreat.
(b) Badmouthing the teacher.
(c) Cheating on the test.
(d) Not doing his homework.
2. After his mother tells him much of the story of Eddie's death at the end of Chapter 5, why is the boy still hurt?
(a) She does not tell him everything.
(b) He thinks his mother does not know the truth.
(c) She lies.
(d) He doesn't understand the full story.
3. When do the boy's parents marry?
4. Why does Sergeant Burke want the situation with Eddie's death cleared up?
(a) So that someone will be punished for it.
(b) So that he can sleep at night.
(c) So that the children will not be poisoned by it.
(d) So that the boy's mother is happy again.
5. What language does the boy use to his advantage because his parents do not understand it?
6. The boy's mother's depression causes her to do what?
(a) Throw things.
(b) Stop talking.
(d) Have panic attacks.
7. Which character dies in 1959?
(a) Crazy Joe.
(b) Sergeant Burke.
(c) Tony McIlhenny.
(d) Katie McIlhenny.
8. In September 1954, the boy's teacher asks several unanswerable questions in which class?
9. Where does the boy go with Moran in Chapter 4?
(a) The circus.
(b) The boy's house.
(c) A football match.
(d) The distillery.
10. To whom does the baby sock belong?
(a) No one knows.
(b) The man's sister.
(c) The man's daughter.
(d) The man's niece.
11. When do Eddie's parents die?
12. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
(a) He doesn't trust his mother.
(b) She had been in love with someone other than his father.
(c) She is faking her depression.
(d) She was involved in Eddie's death.
13. What does the boy say is significant because of the mother's change?
(a) Her mind won't linger on the secret of loving McIlhenny anymore.
(b) She is no longer depressed.
(c) Her secret is now locked inside of her.
(d) She can't hear the lies about Eddie any longer.
14. What reason does the boy's mother give for not taking her medicine?
(a) It is ruining her teeth.
(b) She doesn't think it is working.
(c) She claims the medicine is a placebo.
(d) It tastes disgusting.
15. Which of these statements about the local asylum is true?
(a) It went under right after Eddie's disappearance.
(b) It has a positive turnover rate.
(c) It has a reputation for cruel treatment of patients.
(d) It has only male patients.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy's mother warn him to stay away from the person she warns him about?
2. What happens to the boy's mother in 1968?
3. From whom does the boy's mother warn him to stay away in Chapter 6?
4. What is Claire's last expression?
5. To whom is the boy attracted in Chapter 4?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)