|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the boy not tell his mother everything he knows about Eddie's death?
(a) He thinks that she already knows the truth but is hiding it.
(b) He is afraid of her reaction.
(c) He doesn't think she deserves to know.
(d) He thinks she is too sensitive to handle the truth.
2. Who begins to visit the boy's mother regularly in Chapter 6?
(a) Crazy Joe.
(b) The priest.
(c) Sergeant Burke.
3. Upon what does the Anglican army chaplain say communism is based?
4. To whom does the baby sock belong?
(a) The man's niece.
(b) No one knows.
(c) The man's sister.
(d) The man's daughter.
5. Why is the boy's mother afraid of her visitor?
(a) The person might reveal too much.
(b) The person might take her from her family.
(c) The person might find out too much.
(d) The person might hurt her.
6. When Danno returns home, what does he find?
(a) His wife living with another man.
(b) Nobody remembers who he is.
(c) His house has burned down.
(d) His family is gone.
7. Which one of these characters does not know the truth about Eddie's death in Chapter 5?
(a) The boy's father.
(b) The boy's grandfather.
(c) The boy's mother.
(d) The boy.
8. By the end of Chapter 6, how many of the boy's parents' children live at home?
9. Who is the man who always carried a baby sock in his small brown case?
10. Why does Sergeant Burke want the situation with Eddie's death cleared up?
(a) So that the boy's mother is happy again.
(b) So that the children will not be poisoned by it.
(c) So that he can sleep at night.
(d) So that someone will be punished for it.
11. What advice does Crazy Joe give the boy in Chapter 6?
(a) Read books.
(b) Plant a garden.
(c) Chase girls.
(d) Talk to his mother about Eddie.
12. What does the boy think happened to Eddie in the secret passage of Grianan?
(a) His grandfather shot him.
(b) Larry shot him.
(c) Eddie was swallowed up by the earth.
(d) Eddie starved to death.
13. In what year does the boy enter university?
14. From whom does the boy's mother warn him to stay away in Chapter 6?
(a) Crazy Joe.
(b) The police.
(c) His uncles.
(d) The priests.
15. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
(a) She is faking her depression.
(b) She was involved in Eddie's death.
(c) She had been in love with someone other than his father.
(d) He doesn't trust his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy's father threaten Crazy Joe in Chapter 6?
2. What happens two days before the boy visits his parents in Chapter 6?
3. What does the boy write down in the exercise book?
4. Where do the police help McIlhenny escape to after he was tipped off to the boy's grandfather in 1926?
5. An army chaplain comes to the school to talk to the boys about what?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)