|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens two days before the boy visits his parents in Chapter 6?
(a) The story of Eddie's death becomes public.
(b) A soldier is shot dead on their doorstep.
(c) The town gets snowed in.
(d) His mother dies.
2. What happens to the boy's mother in 1968?
(a) She suffers a stroke.
(b) She goes insane.
(c) She meets an old friend.
(d) She gets in an accident.
3. What does Jimmy do before he is found dead?
(a) He hides the gun.
(b) He visits the doctor.
(c) He curses at the window of the room where Danno had lived.
(d) He kills Claire.
4. Why doesn't the girl return Jimmy's affection?
(a) She moves away.
(b) She doesn't associate with his family.
(c) She loves someone else.
(d) She lives a life of celibacy.
5. To whom is the boy attracted in Chapter 4?
6. The boy's mother's depression causes her to do what?
(a) Throw things.
(b) Have panic attacks.
(d) Stop talking.
7. How long does the boy piece together that his father knew the full story about Eddie being an informant?
(a) Since 1922.
(b) Since 1930.
(c) Since 1935.
(d) Since 1928.
8. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) Her dress.
(c) Her pills.
(d) The gun.
9. What reason does the boy's mother give for not taking her medicine?
(a) It tastes disgusting.
(b) She claims the medicine is a placebo.
(c) It is ruining her teeth.
(d) She doesn't think it is working.
10. To what does Father Nugent compare murder?
(a) Disobeying your parents.
(b) Sex without love.
(c) Hating your brother.
11. When Danno returns home, what does he find?
(a) His house has burned down.
(b) His wife living with another man.
(c) His family is gone.
(d) Nobody remembers who he is.
12. When do the boy's parents meet?
13. What is wrong about the boy taking Irene to the cinema?
(a) The cinema is closed.
(b) He doesn't have any money.
(c) She is Grenaghan's girlfriend.
(d) He forgets where the cinema is.
14. When does the boy's mother find out the truth about Eddie?
(a) She never learns the truth of Eddie's death.
(b) After Tony disappears.
(c) After she marries the boy's father.
(d) Right before her father dies.
15. Why is the boy's mother afraid of her visitor?
(a) The person might take her from her family.
(b) The person might reveal too much.
(c) The person might find out too much.
(d) The person might hurt her.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his mother tells him much of the story of Eddie's death at the end of Chapter 5, why is the boy still hurt?
2. When Katie goes to England to attend her daughter's wedding, why does the rest of her family refuse to attend?
3. Where does the boy go with Moran in Chapter 4?
4. Upon what does the Anglican army chaplain say communism is based?
5. What event is introduced at the local community hall?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)