|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 6, how many of the boy's parents' children live at home?
2. How long does the boy piece together that his father knew the full story about Eddie being an informant?
(a) Since 1928.
(b) Since 1922.
(c) Since 1930.
(d) Since 1935.
3. What does Crazy Joe reveal to the boy?
(a) He saw McIlhenny get out of the Sergeant's car in July 1926.
(b) He saw Eddie die.
(c) He knows who tipped off McIlhenny.
(d) He knows why Larry has stopped talking.
4. What is wrong about the boy taking Irene to the cinema?
(a) He forgets where the cinema is.
(b) The cinema is closed.
(c) She is Grenaghan's girlfriend.
(d) He doesn't have any money.
5. Who was Jimmy in love with?
6. Who told the boy the story of the man with the baby sock?
(a) His father.
(b) Crazy Joe.
(d) His mother.
7. What does the boy say is significant because of the mother's change?
(a) Her mind won't linger on the secret of loving McIlhenny anymore.
(b) She can't hear the lies about Eddie any longer.
(c) Her secret is now locked inside of her.
(d) She is no longer depressed.
8. For what does Sergeant Burke apologize in 1957?
(a) For cheating on his wife.
(b) For revealing McIlhenny as the informer.
(c) For killing Eddie.
(d) For beating up Frank.
9. To whom does the baby sock belong?
(a) The man's niece.
(b) The man's sister.
(c) The man's daughter.
(d) No one knows.
10. What does the boy's mother tell him to put in the fire?
(a) Her pills.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) Her dress.
(d) The gun.
11. How does his mother's body change after what happens to her in 1968?
(a) She goes blind.
(b) She loses the ability to speak.
(c) She loses her hearing.
(d) She loses a limb.
12. At the very end of the book, what does the narrator think he hears as he is going down the stairs?
(a) A bird.
(b) A siren.
(c) The clock tower.
(d) A sigh.
13. What does the boy's mother do with the flower he gives her in Chapter 6?
(a) She eats it.
(b) She destroys it.
(c) She throws it away.
(d) She puts it in a vase in the window.
14. Who is Jimmy from Chapter 4?
(a) One of the boy's uncles.
(b) A clergyman at the church.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) Grenaghan's grandfather.
15. Who begins to visit the boy's mother regularly in Chapter 6?
(a) The priest.
(b) Crazy Joe.
(d) Sergeant Burke.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his mother tells him much of the story of Eddie's death at the end of Chapter 5, why is the boy still hurt?
2. What is the moral of the story about the man with the baby sock?
3. Where does Charlie McCabe frequent?
4. What happens to the boy's mother after she stops taking the medicine?
5. Which of these statements about the local asylum is true?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)