|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information does Katie have over her sister?
(a) What happened to their parents.
(b) The details of Eddie's disappearance.
(c) Tony left her sister to be with Katie.
(d) Where Katie's sister's husband ran off.
2. In what year does the boy enter university?
3. In which class do the boys discuss the speech given by the army chaplain?
(a) Math class.
(b) History class.
(c) Geography class.
(d) English class.
4. Who also visits the boy's parents as he is there in Chapter 6?
(b) Sergeant Burke.
(c) Crazy Joe.
(d) The dead soldier's father.
5. When does the boy's mother find out the truth about Eddie?
(a) She never learns the truth of Eddie's death.
(b) After she marries the boy's father.
(c) Right before her father dies.
(d) After Tony disappears.
6. What is Claire's last expression?
7. Which one of these characters does not know the truth about Eddie's death in Chapter 5?
(a) The boy's mother.
(b) The boy's father.
(c) The boy's grandfather.
(d) The boy.
8. How long does the boy piece together that his father knew the full story about Eddie being an informant?
(a) Since 1930.
(b) Since 1922.
(c) Since 1928.
(d) Since 1935.
9. To whom is the boy attracted in Chapter 4?
10. What is the moral of the story about the man with the baby sock?
(a) People will only find what they're looking for if they stop searching.
(b) People won't find anything if they keep their eyes closed for too long.
(c) People can't move on if they don't let go.
(d) People in small places make big mistakes.
11. What does the boy write down in the exercise book?
(a) The details of Eddie's death.
(b) The story of Brigid.
(c) An apology letter.
(d) An essay for school.
12. Why is the boy punished in 1954 by the Dean?
(a) Skipping the retreat.
(b) Badmouthing the teacher.
(c) Cheating on the test.
(d) Not doing his homework.
13. Where does Jimmy go to work for several years?
14. What does Crazy Joe reveal to the boy?
(a) He knows why Larry has stopped talking.
(b) He knows who tipped off McIlhenny.
(c) He saw McIlhenny get out of the Sergeant's car in July 1926.
(d) He saw Eddie die.
15. How does his mother's body change after what happens to her in 1968?
(a) She loses the ability to speak.
(b) She goes blind.
(c) She loses her hearing.
(d) She loses a limb.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his mother tells him much of the story of Eddie's death at the end of Chapter 5, why is the boy still hurt?
2. What happens to the boy after he takes the girl to the cinema?
3. An army chaplain comes to the school to talk to the boys about what?
4. Who is Danno Bredin?
5. What does the boy realize about his mother after the onset of her depression?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)