|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The boy's mother's depression causes her to do what?
(b) Stop talking.
(c) Throw things.
(d) Have panic attacks.
2. When do the boy's parents marry?
3. To whom does the baby sock belong?
(a) The man's sister.
(b) The man's daughter.
(c) The man's niece.
(d) No one knows.
4. Who is Charlie McCabe?
(a) An informer.
(b) A local Protestant police officer.
(c) A local post office inspector.
(d) A Catholic priest.
5. Which two groups does the boy's mother find out were collaborating together?
(a) The priests and the IRA.
(b) The boy's uncles and the priests.
(c) The police and the boy's uncles.
(d) The police and the priests.
6. How long does the boy piece together that his father knew the full story about Eddie being an informant?
(a) Since 1922.
(b) Since 1928.
(c) Since 1930.
(d) Since 1935.
7. In which class do the boys discuss the speech given by the army chaplain?
(a) Math class.
(b) Geography class.
(c) History class.
(d) English class.
8. On the day the boy earns his degree from university, when does he arrive home to tell the family?
(a) On time.
(d) He didn't get the chance to tell them.
9. Why does the boy's mother warn him to stay away from the person she warns him about?
(a) She's afraid the person will reveal too much.
(b) She's afraid the person will harm the boy.
(c) She's afraid the person will find out too much.
(d) She's afraid the person will tell her husband about Eddie's disappearance.
10. What does Crazy Joe reveal to the boy?
(a) He knows why Larry has stopped talking.
(b) He knows who tipped off McIlhenny.
(c) He saw Eddie die.
(d) He saw McIlhenny get out of the Sergeant's car in July 1926.
11. What event is introduced at the local community hall?
(a) Textiles classes.
(b) Social evenings with music.
(c) Job fairs.
(d) Dinner gatherings.
12. Upon what does the Anglican army chaplain say communism is based?
13. What does Jimmy do before he is found dead?
(a) He hides the gun.
(b) He visits the doctor.
(c) He curses at the window of the room where Danno had lived.
(d) He kills Claire.
14. Why is the boy punished in 1954 by the Dean?
(a) Cheating on the test.
(b) Skipping the retreat.
(c) Not doing his homework.
(d) Badmouthing the teacher.
15. What advice does Crazy Joe give the boy in Chapter 6?
(a) Talk to his mother about Eddie.
(b) Plant a garden.
(c) Chase girls.
(d) Read books.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does his mother's body change after what happens to her in 1968?
2. What language does the boy use to his advantage because his parents do not understand it?
3. Who also visits the boy's parents as he is there in Chapter 6?
4. What happens to the boy's father right before he retires?
5. In what year does the novel conclude?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)