|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of stone chair is hidden in the ruins of Grianan?
(a) A stool.
(b) A wishing chair.
(c) A throne.
(d) A table chair.
2. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
(a) Brigid McLaughlin.
(b) Katie McIlhenny.
(c) Aunt Bernadette.
3. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
(a) The murder suspect disappeared.
(b) The evidence was tampered with.
(c) There wasn't enough evidence.
(d) The murder suspect had a proven alibi.
4. What causes the infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
(a) An abandoned warehouse.
(b) The swamps.
(c) An abandoned house.
(d) A nearby dumping ground.
5. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
(a) A photo album.
(c) A gun.
(d) A flower.
6. What does the boy's father do for a living?
(a) He is a factory worker.
(b) He is an electrician.
(c) He is a shopkeeper.
(d) He is a salesman.
7. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
8. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is beaten by the police.
(b) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
(c) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(d) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
9. What is going to be built across the river?
(a) British oxygen plant.
(b) Catholic church.
(c) Private farmhouse.
(d) Police station.
10. What causes the priest to call off Larry McLaughlin's wedding?
(a) Larry isn't ready to get married.
(b) Larry has cheated on this soon-to-be wife.
(c) Larry doesn't want to get married.
(d) Larry has become insane.
11. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Paradise Lost.
(c) The History of Ireland.
(d) The Poor Old Woman.
12. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The boy and his mother.
(b) The boy and Rory Hannaway.
(c) The boy and his father.
(d) The boy and Una, his sister.
13. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
(d) A pillow.
14. Who is Ena?
(a) The boy's grandmother.
(b) The boy's father's sister.
(c) The boy's mother's sister.
(d) The boy's sister.
15. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
(b) Someone outside will see him.
(c) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
(d) She senses a ghost nearby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 3 opens with the narrator talking about the neighborhood having what kind of infestation problem?
2. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
3. According to the local belief his father told the boy, who gathers at the Field of the Disappeared at Christmas and other festivals?
4. Who is Meave?
5. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)