|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the real informer?
(a) Larry McLaughlin.
(b) Crazy Joe.
(c) The boy's grandfather.
(d) Tony McIlhenny.
2. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
(a) Because Katie knew nothing about Eddie's disappearance.
(b) Because she didn't want Katie to know Eddie was the informer.
(c) Because she would have to reveal that Katie's husband was the informer.
(d) Because she didn't want to tell Katie that Eddie was executed.
3. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
(a) The black death of 1348.
(b) The shootout of 1922.
(c) The famine of 1740.
(d) The rebellion of 1798.
4. What information about the family secret does the boy know in Chapter 3 that his parents do not know?
(a) Where Eddie was killed.
(b) Who killed Eddie.
(c) Who the real informer was.
(d) What happened to Tony.
5. What is going to be built across the river?
(a) Police station.
(b) British oxygen plant.
(c) Private farmhouse.
(d) Catholic church.
6. What does the boy's grandfather reveal about Eddie in Chapter 3?
(a) Eddie was an informer.
(b) Eddie was set up.
(c) Eddie left for America.
(d) Eddie died in a warehouse fire.
7. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
(a) A gun.
(b) Stolen goods.
(c) A missing child.
(d) A murder suspect.
8. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
(d) The boy narrator.
9. According to the local belief his father told the boy, who gathers at the Field of the Disappeared at Christmas and other festivals?
(a) The souls of orphans.
(b) The souls of those who have not had a Christian burial.
(c) The souls of children who died at a young age.
(d) The souls of those who were murdered.
10. What is the first physical change Francis and Frances encounter?
(a) Their voices switch.
(b) They both change genders.
(c) Their reflections in the mirror disappear.
(d) Their hair changes color.
11. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
(a) She sings the children's song once a year.
(b) She pretends the children have never left.
(c) She never leaves her house.
(d) She skips wherever she goes.
12. Who is the heroine of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
13. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
14. How does Rory Hannaway die?
(a) Killed by a reversing lorry.
(b) Beaten to death by thieves.
(c) Contracted meningitis.
(d) Drowned in the river.
15. Who is Ena?
(a) The boy's sister.
(b) The boy's mother's sister.
(c) The boy's father's sister.
(d) The boy's grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the boy's father about Eddie's killing?
2. What are the IRA gunmen protesting at the shootout at the distillery?
3. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
4. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
5. What does Sergeant Burke suggest to the boy as he gives him a ride home?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)