|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the local belief his father told the boy, who gathers at the Field of the Disappeared at Christmas and other festivals?
(a) The souls of those who were murdered.
(b) The souls of those who have not had a Christian burial.
(c) The souls of children who died at a young age.
(d) The souls of orphans.
2. How does Rory Hannaway die?
(a) Beaten to death by thieves.
(b) Contracted meningitis.
(c) Drowned in the river.
(d) Killed by a reversing lorry.
3. The famous shoot-out in 1922 was between which two groups of people?
(a) The IRA and the boy's family.
(b) The IRA and the police.
(c) The police and the boy's family.
(d) The boy's uncles and the IRA.
4. Who tells the boy's father about Eddie's killing?
(c) The boy's mother.
(d) Ena and Bernadette.
5. What do the boy's parents suggest he should have done instead of involving Sergeant Burke when he was being bullied?
(a) They said he should have talked the bully out of fighting.
(b) They said he should have stood up for himself.
(c) They said he should have run away.
(d) They said he should have just taken the punches.
6. What does the boy's grandfather reveal about Eddie in Chapter 3?
(a) Eddie died in a warehouse fire.
(b) Eddie left for America.
(c) Eddie was set up.
(d) Eddie was an informer.
7. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
8. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
(b) Someone outside will see him.
(c) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
(d) She senses a ghost nearby.
9. What causes the priest to call off Larry McLaughlin's wedding?
(a) Larry has cheated on this soon-to-be wife.
(b) Larry isn't ready to get married.
(c) Larry has become insane.
(d) Larry doesn't want to get married.
10. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
(a) There wasn't enough evidence.
(b) The evidence was tampered with.
(c) The murder suspect disappeared.
(d) The murder suspect had a proven alibi.
11. Where does the boy's father work?
(a) The police station.
(b) The docks.
(c) The naval base.
(d) The distillery.
12. Who is the real informer?
(a) The boy's grandfather.
(b) Tony McIlhenny.
(c) Crazy Joe.
(d) Larry McLaughlin.
13. When does Tony McIlhenny disappear?
(a) When the boy is born.
(b) When Ena dies.
(c) When Katie is pregnant.
(d) When Una dies.
14. How old was the boy's father when he was left in charge of the family?
15. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
(a) Their grandfather.
(b) Their brother.
(c) Their mother's sister.
(d) Their father's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
2. Why does Brigid think she is going mad?
3. Who is the heroine of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
4. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
5. What happens to Billy Mahon?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)