|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
(a) Time out or extra homework.
(b) Cleaning or caning.
(c) Extra homework or cleaning.
(d) Extra homework or caning.
2. When does Tony McIlhenny disappear?
(a) When Una dies.
(b) When Ena dies.
(c) When the boy is born.
(d) When Katie is pregnant.
3. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
(a) Because she didn't want to tell Katie that Eddie was executed.
(b) Because Katie knew nothing about Eddie's disappearance.
(c) Because she didn't want Katie to know Eddie was the informer.
(d) Because she would have to reveal that Katie's husband was the informer.
4. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
(a) A missing child.
(b) Stolen goods.
(c) A murder suspect.
(d) A gun.
5. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
(d) The boy narrator.
6. Who tells the boy that some families are devil-haunted?
7. What causes the priest to call off Larry McLaughlin's wedding?
(a) Larry doesn't want to get married.
(b) Larry isn't ready to get married.
(c) Larry has become insane.
(d) Larry has cheated on this soon-to-be wife.
8. Who is Ena?
(a) The boy's grandmother.
(b) The boy's father's sister.
(c) The boy's mother's sister.
(d) The boy's sister.
9. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
(a) He does not talk.
(b) He tells stories.
(c) He is missing.
(d) He wanders.
10. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
(d) The Field of the Disappeared.
11. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
(a) He was being bullied.
(b) He was in trouble.
(c) He didn't have a ride home.
(d) He was out wandering at night.
12. When the boy and his brother, Liam, are taken across the river by their father, what does his father's explanation about Eddie reveal to the boy?
(a) His father knows nothing of Eddie's disappearance.
(b) The boy knows more than his father knows.
(c) Liam knows more about Eddie's disappearance than does the boy.
(d) His father knows more about Eddie's disappearance than does anyone else.
13. In Chapter 2, the boy remembers being trapped where?
(a) In the basement of the distillery.
(b) In the secret passage of Grianan.
(c) In the church after service.
(d) In his sister's bedroom.
14. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
(a) God's love extends even to those who commit evil deeds.
(b) Bad things happen because people make poor choices.
(c) Action should be taken to prevent further violence.
(d) Only God should judge people and decide their fate.
15. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(b) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(c) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
(d) He is beaten by the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brigid think she is going mad?
2. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
3. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
4. What does the boy's grandfather reveal about Eddie in Chapter 3?
5. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)