|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
(a) The famine of 1740.
(b) The shootout of 1922.
(c) The rebellion of 1798.
(d) The black death of 1348.
2. According to the local belief his father told the boy, who gathers at the Field of the Disappeared at Christmas and other festivals?
(a) The souls of orphans.
(b) The souls of those who have not had a Christian burial.
(c) The souls of children who died at a young age.
(d) The souls of those who were murdered.
3. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
(a) A German sailor.
(b) A family friend.
(c) A local policeman.
(d) His grandfather.
4. Which of the boy's relatives dies in October 1949?
(a) His sister.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His father.
(d) His uncle.
5. Who is Billy Mahon?
(a) A priest.
(b) A friend of the family.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A neighbor.
6. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
(a) Brother Regan, the boy, and his father.
(b) Rory Hannaway, Neil McLaughlin, and the boy's uncle.
(c) The boy, his father, and Rory Hannaway.
(d) The boy, his brother Liam, and their father.
7. In October of 1952, where is the boy sent to live?
(a) With one of his uncles.
(b) With his grandfather.
(c) With a neighbor.
(d) With one of his aunts.
8. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
(b) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
(c) She senses a ghost nearby.
(d) Someone outside will see him.
9. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The boy and his mother.
(b) The boy and his father.
(c) The boy and Una, his sister.
(d) The boy and Rory Hannaway.
10. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
(a) A flower.
(b) A gun.
(d) A photo album.
11. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
(a) Because she didn't want to tell Katie that Eddie was executed.
(b) Because she would have to reveal that Katie's husband was the informer.
(c) Because Katie knew nothing about Eddie's disappearance.
(d) Because she didn't want Katie to know Eddie was the informer.
12. Chapter 3 opens with the narrator talking about the neighborhood having what kind of infestation problem?
13. Why is the boys' mother upset when they return from their boat ride across the river?
(a) She didn't want the boys on the river.
(b) She didn't expect them to return so soon.
(c) She knows her husband told the boys about Eddie.
(d) She didn't have enough time to prepare dinner.
14. Who teaches the boy's math class?
(b) His uncle.
(c) His father.
15. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
(a) Extra homework or cleaning.
(b) Cleaning or caning.
(c) Time out or extra homework.
(d) Extra homework or caning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy try to do after his talk with Sergeant Burke in Chapter 3?
2. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
3. Why do the boy's father's drinking binges stop between 1920 and 1926?
4. Why does the boy's father hit him in Chapter 3?
5. What happens to Billy Mahon?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)