|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information about the family secret does the boy know in Chapter 3 that his parents do not know?
(a) Who the real informer was.
(b) Who killed Eddie.
(c) Where Eddie was killed.
(d) What happened to Tony.
2. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
(a) The Poor Old Woman.
(b) The Lovely Dark Land.
(c) The Conflict of Past.
(d) The Land of Poverty.
3. Who is Billy Mahon?
(a) A friend of the family.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A priest.
4. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
5. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
(a) The shootout of 1922.
(b) The famine of 1740.
(c) The black death of 1348.
(d) The rebellion of 1798.
6. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
(a) He was in trouble.
(b) He was being bullied.
(c) He didn't have a ride home.
(d) He was out wandering at night.
7. Why is the boys' mother upset when they return from their boat ride across the river?
(a) She didn't want the boys on the river.
(b) She didn't have enough time to prepare dinner.
(c) She didn't expect them to return so soon.
(d) She knows her husband told the boys about Eddie.
8. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
(b) She senses a ghost nearby.
(c) Someone outside will see him.
(d) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
9. After his parents die, Eddie leaves. Where does everyone think he went?
(a) He went to America.
(b) He enlisted in the IRA.
(c) He skipped town with his girlfriend.
(d) He went to Grianan.
10. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
11. How old was the boy's father when he was left in charge of the family?
12. How does the boy's grandfather die?
(a) A stroke.
(b) An accident.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) Old age.
13. Who is the heroine of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
14. Which of the boy's relatives dies in October 1949?
(a) His father.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His sister.
(d) His uncle.
15. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(b) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(c) He is beaten by the police.
(d) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
2. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
3. How does the boy describe how he got rid of the infestation in Chapter 3?
4. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
5. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)