|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Billy Mahon?
(a) A friend of the family.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A priest.
(d) A policeman.
2. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
(a) Play in the Field of the Disappeared.
(b) Sing songs.
(c) Put on costumes.
(d) Put flowers on their parents' graves.
3. When does Tony McIlhenny disappear?
(a) When Una dies.
(b) When Katie is pregnant.
(c) When Ena dies.
(d) When the boy is born.
4. According to the local belief his father told the boy, who gathers at the Field of the Disappeared at Christmas and other festivals?
(a) The souls of those who were murdered.
(b) The souls of those who have not had a Christian burial.
(c) The souls of orphans.
(d) The souls of children who died at a young age.
5. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
(a) The Field of the Disappeared.
6. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
(a) Their brother.
(b) Their father's brother.
(c) Their mother's sister.
(d) Their grandfather.
7. What information about the family secret does the boy know in Chapter 3 that his parents do not know?
(a) What happened to Tony.
(b) Who killed Eddie.
(c) Who the real informer was.
(d) Where Eddie was killed.
8. What do people believe lay below the ruins of Grianan?
(a) The souls of those who had disappeared.
(b) The ghosts of unborn children.
(c) The bodies of legendary ancient warriors.
(d) The souls of those who did not have a Christian burial.
9. Who is Ena?
(a) The boy's father's sister.
(b) The boy's mother's sister.
(c) The boy's grandmother.
(d) The boy's sister.
10. Where does the boy's father work?
(a) The docks.
(b) The distillery.
(c) The police station.
(d) The naval base.
11. Who is the real informer?
(a) Larry McLaughlin.
(b) The boy's grandfather.
(c) Crazy Joe.
(d) Tony McIlhenny.
12. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
(a) <i>The Bible.</i>
(b) <i>The Poor Old Woman.</i>
(c) <i>Paradise Lost.</i>
(d) <i>The History of Ireland.</i>
13. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
(a) She never leaves her house.
(b) She pretends the children have never left.
(c) She sings the children's song once a year.
(d) She skips wherever she goes.
14. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
(a) His mother's depression.
(b) The book he reads in the dark.
(c) His sympathy for the Protestant police.
(d) What he finds in his sister's wardrobe.
15. How does the boy's grandfather die?
(a) A stroke.
(b) A heart attack.
(c) An accident.
(d) Old age.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
2. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
3. Which of the boy's relatives dies in October 1949?
4. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
5. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)