|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which section of the library does Crazy Joe frequent?
(a) The history section.
(b) The adult section.
(c) The art section.
(d) The literature section.
2. Chapter 3 opens with the narrator talking about the neighborhood having what kind of infestation problem?
3. Who is Meave?
(a) Katie's daughter.
(b) Eddie's daughter.
(c) The boy's niece.
(d) The boy's sister.
4. Why do the boy's father's drinking binges stop between 1920 and 1926?
(a) His father found out about Eddie being an informer in 1926.
(b) His father revealed to his wife who killed Eddie in 1926.
(c) His father found out Eddie was innocent in 1926.
(d) His father found out who killed Eddie in 1926.
5. How does Rory Hannaway die?
(a) Killed by a reversing lorry.
(b) Drowned in the river.
(c) Beaten to death by thieves.
(d) Contracted meningitis.
6. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
(a) He does not talk.
(b) He tells stories.
(c) He is missing.
(d) He wanders.
7. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
(a) The rebellion of 1798.
(b) The famine of 1740.
(c) The black death of 1348.
(d) The shootout of 1922.
8. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
(a) He was in trouble.
(b) He was being bullied.
(c) He didn't have a ride home.
(d) He was out wandering at night.
9. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
(a) Put flowers on their parents' graves.
(b) Put on costumes.
(c) Sing songs.
(d) Play in the Field of the Disappeared.
10. Who teaches the boy's math class?
(b) His uncle.
(d) His father.
11. Who is Katie?
(a) The boy's father's aunt.
(b) The boy's sister.
(c) The boy's mother's sister.
(d) The boy's grandmother.
12. What causes the infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
(a) An abandoned house.
(b) An abandoned warehouse.
(c) A nearby dumping ground.
(d) The swamps.
13. Who is the heroine of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
14. Why is the boys' mother upset when they return from their boat ride across the river?
(a) She didn't have enough time to prepare dinner.
(b) She didn't expect them to return so soon.
(c) She knows her husband told the boys about Eddie.
(d) She didn't want the boys on the river.
15. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
(a) The house burn down.
(b) The death of a young boy.
(c) His mother attempt suicide.
(d) His father leave town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's father do for a living?
2. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
3. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
4. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
5. What happens to Billy Mahon?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)