|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the boy that some families are devil-haunted?
2. Who is the real informer?
(a) Tony McIlhenny.
(b) The boy's grandfather.
(c) Larry McLaughlin.
(d) Crazy Joe.
3. What does Sergeant Burke suggest to the boy as he gives him a ride home?
(a) That Eddie was killed.
(b) That the boy's father doesn't know what really happened to Eddie.
(c) That the boy's father is responsible for Eddie's disappearance.
(d) That Eddie was involved in something dangerous before his disappearance.
4. How does Rory Hannaway die?
(a) Killed by a reversing lorry.
(b) Contracted meningitis.
(c) Beaten to death by thieves.
(d) Drowned in the river.
5. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
(a) She sings the children's song once a year.
(b) She skips wherever she goes.
(c) She never leaves her house.
(d) She pretends the children have never left.
6. What is going to be built across the river?
(a) Police station.
(b) Catholic church.
(c) British oxygen plant.
(d) Private farmhouse.
7. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
(a) His father leave town.
(b) The death of a young boy.
(c) The house burn down.
(d) His mother attempt suicide.
8. Who is Billy Mahon?
(a) A friend of the family.
(b) A policeman.
(c) A priest.
(d) A neighbor.
9. According to the boy's father, how long has the boy's mother known about Eddie?
(a) Since just before she married the boy's father.
(b) Since a few years ago.
(c) Since just after the boy was born.
(d) Since just after she married the boy's father.
10. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
(a) Their mother's sister.
(b) Their brother.
(c) Their father's brother.
(d) Their grandfather.
11. When does Tony McIlhenny disappear?
(a) When Katie is pregnant.
(b) When Una dies.
(c) When the boy is born.
(d) When Ena dies.
12. What do the boy's parents suggest he should have done instead of involving Sergeant Burke when he was being bullied?
(a) They said he should have stood up for himself.
(b) They said he should have just taken the punches.
(c) They said he should have talked the bully out of fighting.
(d) They said he should have run away.
13. What happens to both Brigid and Larry in Chapter 2?
(a) They have both lost their jobs.
(b) They have lost their ability to speak.
(c) They both cannot see.
(d) They are killed.
14. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
15. According to the local belief his father told the boy, who gathers at the Field of the Disappeared at Christmas and other festivals?
(a) The souls of those who have not had a Christian burial.
(b) The souls of orphans.
(c) The souls of children who died at a young age.
(d) The souls of those who were murdered.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crazy Joe say Larry's mysterious woman turns into?
2. After his parents die, Eddie leaves. Where does everyone think he went?
3. What causes the priest to call off Larry McLaughlin's wedding?
4. What happens to the distillery after the shootout?
5. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)