|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
(a) A photo album.
(b) A flower.
(d) A gun.
2. What does the boy's grandfather reveal about Eddie in Chapter 3?
(a) Eddie was an informer.
(b) Eddie left for America.
(c) Eddie was set up.
(d) Eddie died in a warehouse fire.
3. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
(a) Rory Hannaway, Neil McLaughlin, and the boy's uncle.
(b) The boy, his brother Liam, and their father.
(c) The boy, his father, and Rory Hannaway.
(d) Brother Regan, the boy, and his father.
4. What happens to the distillery after the shootout?
(a) It floods.
(b) It is shutdown.
(c) It is rebuilt.
(d) It explodes.
5. Why does Brigid think she is going mad?
(a) The orphans keep changing.
(b) She sees ghosts out the window.
(c) She keeps losing things.
(d) She is losing her voice.
6. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
(a) He is missing.
(b) He does not talk.
(c) He tells stories.
(d) He wanders.
7. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
(a) There wasn't enough evidence.
(b) The murder suspect disappeared.
(c) The evidence was tampered with.
(d) The murder suspect had a proven alibi.
8. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
(a) Neil McLaughlin.
(b) A policeman.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) Brother Regan.
9. In Chapter 2, the boy remembers being trapped where?
(a) In the secret passage of Grianan.
(b) In his sister's bedroom.
(c) In the basement of the distillery.
(d) In the church after service.
10. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
11. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
(a) His father leave town.
(b) The death of a young boy.
(c) His mother attempt suicide.
(d) The house burn down.
12. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
(b) The boy narrator.
13. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
(a) Because she would have to reveal that Katie's husband was the informer.
(b) Because Katie knew nothing about Eddie's disappearance.
(c) Because she didn't want Katie to know Eddie was the informer.
(d) Because she didn't want to tell Katie that Eddie was executed.
14. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(b) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(c) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
(d) He is beaten by the police.
15. How do the boy's father's parents die?
(a) Old age.
(c) Killed at the shootout at the distillery.
(d) An accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 3 opens with the narrator talking about the neighborhood having what kind of infestation problem?
2. What color is the light above the graves of Francis and Frances' parents?
3. When does Tony McIlhenny disappear?
4. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
5. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)