|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the boy's father hit him in Chapter 3?
(a) His father is drunk.
(b) The boy tells his father he should be blaming Eddie.
(c) The boy doesn't stop talking.
(d) The boy tells his father he hates him.
2. Who is Meave?
(a) The boy's sister.
(b) The boy's niece.
(c) Katie's daughter.
(d) Eddie's daughter.
3. After his parents die, Eddie leaves. Where does everyone think he went?
(a) He went to America.
(b) He went to Grianan.
(c) He enlisted in the IRA.
(d) He skipped town with his girlfriend.
4. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
(a) His mother's unsuccessful suicide attempts caused by her depression.
(b) His treatment by the police.
(c) The death of his sister.
(d) Stories of the murder trial of 1922.
5. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
6. According to the boy's father, how long has the boy's mother known about Eddie?
(a) Since just after the boy was born.
(b) Since just before she married the boy's father.
(c) Since a few years ago.
(d) Since just after she married the boy's father.
7. How old was the boy's father when he was left in charge of the family?
8. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
(a) To his father.
(b) To his teacher.
(c) To a grave.
(d) To a sick relative's house.
9. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
(a) Sing songs.
(b) Put on costumes.
(c) Put flowers on their parents' graves.
(d) Play in the Field of the Disappeared.
10. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
(a) A photo album.
(c) A gun.
(d) A flower.
11. Who is Ena?
(a) The boy's grandmother.
(b) The boy's father's sister.
(c) The boy's mother's sister.
(d) The boy's sister.
12. From which part of the traditions of both Protestants and Catholics does the boy derive excitement?
(a) The gathering.
(b) The bonfires.
(c) The singing.
(d) The dancing.
13. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
(a) She never leaves her house.
(b) She skips wherever she goes.
(c) She sings the children's song once a year.
(d) She pretends the children have never left.
14. Chapter 3 opens with the narrator talking about the neighborhood having what kind of infestation problem?
15. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
(a) The black death of 1348.
(b) The shootout of 1922.
(c) The rebellion of 1798.
(d) The famine of 1740.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
2. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
3. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
4. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
5. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)