|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
(a) He is missing.
(b) He wanders.
(c) He tells stories.
(d) He does not talk.
2. In October of 1952, where is the boy sent to live?
(a) With one of his uncles.
(b) With one of his aunts.
(c) With a neighbor.
(d) With his grandfather.
3. How do the boy's father's parents die?
(b) An accident.
(c) Old age.
(d) Killed at the shootout at the distillery.
4. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) She senses a ghost nearby.
(b) Someone outside will see him.
(c) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
(d) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
5. Who is the heroine of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
6. Who tells the boy's father about Eddie's killing?
(a) The boy's mother.
(b) Ena and Bernadette.
7. According to the boy's father, how long has the boy's mother known about Eddie?
(a) Since just after the boy was born.
(b) Since just after she married the boy's father.
(c) Since a few years ago.
(d) Since just before she married the boy's father.
8. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
(a) <i>The Poor Old Woman.</i>
(b) <i>Paradise Lost.</i>
(c) <i>The Bible.</i>
(d) <i>The History of Ireland.</i>
9. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
(b) A pillow.
10. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
(a) He was in trouble.
(b) He didn't have a ride home.
(c) He was out wandering at night.
(d) He was being bullied.
11. Why does the boy's father hit him in Chapter 3?
(a) His father is drunk.
(b) The boy doesn't stop talking.
(c) The boy tells his father he should be blaming Eddie.
(d) The boy tells his father he hates him.
12. What causes the priest to call off Larry McLaughlin's wedding?
(a) Larry doesn't want to get married.
(b) Larry has cheated on this soon-to-be wife.
(c) Larry isn't ready to get married.
(d) Larry has become insane.
13. The famous shoot-out in 1922 was between which two groups of people?
(a) The boy's uncles and the IRA.
(b) The IRA and the police.
(c) The IRA and the boy's family.
(d) The police and the boy's family.
14. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
(a) The boy's reading of his first book.
(b) The confusion the boy feels by not understanding what he reads.
(c) The sadness felt by the boy after being forced to read only at night.
(d) The loneliness of reading alone and the boy's feeling of being alone.
15. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
(a) Stolen goods.
(b) A murder suspect.
(c) A gun.
(d) A missing child.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
2. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
3. When the boy and his brother, Liam, are taken across the river by their father, what does his father's explanation about Eddie reveal to the boy?
4. From which part of the traditions of both Protestants and Catholics does the boy derive excitement?
5. Which of the boy's relatives dies in October 1949?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)