|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
(a) The boy narrator.
2. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
(a) The rebellion of 1798.
(b) The black death of 1348.
(c) The shootout of 1922.
(d) The famine of 1740.
3. What does the boy's grandfather reveal about Eddie in Chapter 3?
(a) Eddie left for America.
(b) Eddie was set up.
(c) Eddie died in a warehouse fire.
(d) Eddie was an informer.
4. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
(a) She skips wherever she goes.
(b) She pretends the children have never left.
(c) She never leaves her house.
(d) She sings the children's song once a year.
5. What happens to both Brigid and Larry in Chapter 2?
(a) They have both lost their jobs.
(b) They both cannot see.
(c) They have lost their ability to speak.
(d) They are killed.
6. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
(a) He wanders.
(b) He does not talk.
(c) He is missing.
(d) He tells stories.
7. What do people believe lay below the ruins of Grianan?
(a) The ghosts of unborn children.
(b) The souls of those who had disappeared.
(c) The bodies of legendary ancient warriors.
(d) The souls of those who did not have a Christian burial.
8. How does the boy's grandfather die?
(a) Old age.
(b) A heart attack.
(c) A stroke.
(d) An accident.
9. Where did the shoot-out of 1922 occur?
(a) In the distillery.
(b) In the streets.
(c) In the market.
(d) In the church.
10. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
11. What happens to the distillery after the shootout?
(a) It is rebuilt.
(b) It floods.
(c) It explodes.
(d) It is shutdown.
12. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
(a) The boy and his father.
(b) The boy and Rory Hannaway.
(c) The boy and Una, his sister.
(d) The boy and his mother.
13. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
(a) Billy Mahon.
(b) Neil McLaughlin.
(c) Rory Hannaway.
(d) Brother Regan.
14. Who is the real informer?
(a) The boy's grandfather.
(b) Tony McIlhenny.
(c) Crazy Joe.
(d) Larry McLaughlin.
15. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
(d) A pillow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches the boy's math class?
2. Who is Ena?
3. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
4. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
5. How do the boy's father's parents die?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)