|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
(a) He was in trouble.
(b) He was out wandering at night.
(c) He was being bullied.
(d) He didn't have a ride home.
2. What does Sergeant Burke suggest to the boy as he gives him a ride home?
(a) That the boy's father doesn't know what really happened to Eddie.
(b) That the boy's father is responsible for Eddie's disappearance.
(c) That Eddie was involved in something dangerous before his disappearance.
(d) That Eddie was killed.
3. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
(a) His treatment by the police.
(b) His mother's unsuccessful suicide attempts caused by her depression.
(c) The death of his sister.
(d) Stories of the murder trial of 1922.
4. What does the boy try to do after his talk with Sergeant Burke in Chapter 3?
(a) To hide in his room.
(b) To talk to his mother.
(c) To talk to his father.
(d) To run away.
5. What do people believe lay below the ruins of Grianan?
(a) The ghosts of unborn children.
(b) The souls of those who did not have a Christian burial.
(c) The bodies of legendary ancient warriors.
(d) The souls of those who had disappeared.
6. Who is the heroine of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
7. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
(a) The sadness felt by the boy after being forced to read only at night.
(b) The boy's reading of his first book.
(c) The loneliness of reading alone and the boy's feeling of being alone.
(d) The confusion the boy feels by not understanding what he reads.
8. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
(a) A German sailor.
(b) A family friend.
(c) A local policeman.
(d) His grandfather.
9. Why does Brigid think she is going mad?
(a) She is losing her voice.
(b) The orphans keep changing.
(c) She keeps losing things.
(d) She sees ghosts out the window.
10. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
(a) Sing songs.
(b) Put on costumes.
(c) Put flowers on their parents' graves.
(d) Play in the Field of the Disappeared.
11. In Chapter 1, what causes the boy's mother to become inconsolable?
(a) Her husband leaves.
(b) The boy becomes sick.
(c) She loses her job.
(d) One of her children dies.
12. Why do the boy's father's drinking binges stop between 1920 and 1926?
(a) His father found out about Eddie being an informer in 1926.
(b) His father revealed to his wife who killed Eddie in 1926.
(c) His father found out Eddie was innocent in 1926.
(d) His father found out who killed Eddie in 1926.
13. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
(a) God's love extends even to those who commit evil deeds.
(b) Action should be taken to prevent further violence.
(c) Bad things happen because people make poor choices.
(d) Only God should judge people and decide their fate.
14. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The History of Ireland.
(c) The Poor Old Woman.
(d) Paradise Lost.
15. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
(a) The Poor Old Woman.
(b) The Lovely Dark Land.
(c) The Land of Poverty.
(d) The Conflict of Past.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
2. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
3. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
4. What happens to the distillery after the shootout?
5. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)