|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
(a) The boy, his father, and Rory Hannaway.
(b) Rory Hannaway, Neil McLaughlin, and the boy's uncle.
(c) The boy, his brother Liam, and their father.
(d) Brother Regan, the boy, and his father.
2. Chapter 3 opens with the narrator talking about the neighborhood having what kind of infestation problem?
3. How does Rory Hannaway die?
(a) Beaten to death by thieves.
(b) Drowned in the river.
(c) Contracted meningitis.
(d) Killed by a reversing lorry.
4. On what day do the Francis and Frances' parents die?
(a) May 7.
(b) November 21.
(c) August 11.
(d) September 14.
5. What does Sergeant Burke suggest to the boy as he gives him a ride home?
(a) That Eddie was killed.
(b) That the boy's father doesn't know what really happened to Eddie.
(c) That Eddie was involved in something dangerous before his disappearance.
(d) That the boy's father is responsible for Eddie's disappearance.
6. Why is the boys' mother upset when they return from their boat ride across the river?
(a) She didn't expect them to return so soon.
(b) She knows her husband told the boys about Eddie.
(c) She didn't have enough time to prepare dinner.
(d) She didn't want the boys on the river.
7. How old was the boy's father when he was left in charge of the family?
8. When does Tony McIlhenny disappear?
(a) When Katie is pregnant.
(b) When Una dies.
(c) When Ena dies.
(d) When the boy is born.
9. How do the boy's father's parents die?
(a) Old age.
(b) Killed at the shootout at the distillery.
(d) An accident.
10. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
(a) A family friend.
(b) A German sailor.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) A local policeman.
11. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
(a) To a grave.
(b) To a sick relative's house.
(c) To his teacher.
(d) To his father.
12. The famous shoot-out in 1922 was between which two groups of people?
(a) The IRA and the police.
(b) The IRA and the boy's family.
(c) The police and the boy's family.
(d) The boy's uncles and the IRA.
13. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
(a) Their mother's sister.
(b) Their grandfather.
(c) Their father's brother.
(d) Their brother.
14. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
(a) Because she would have to reveal that Katie's husband was the informer.
(b) Because she didn't want to tell Katie that Eddie was executed.
(c) Because she didn't want Katie to know Eddie was the informer.
(d) Because Katie knew nothing about Eddie's disappearance.
15. What happens to Billy Mahon?
(a) He is robbed.
(b) He is framed for murder.
(c) He is pushed off the bridge.
(d) He is shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the novel begin?
2. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
3. After his parents die, Eddie leaves. Where does everyone think he went?
4. Why does Brigid think she is going mad?
5. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)