|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the boys' mother upset when they return from their boat ride across the river?
(a) She didn't expect them to return so soon.
(b) She knows her husband told the boys about Eddie.
(c) She didn't have enough time to prepare dinner.
(d) She didn't want the boys on the river.
2. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
(a) Bad things happen because people make poor choices.
(b) Action should be taken to prevent further violence.
(c) God's love extends even to those who commit evil deeds.
(d) Only God should judge people and decide their fate.
3. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
(a) The boy narrator.
4. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
(a) The loneliness of reading alone and the boy's feeling of being alone.
(b) The confusion the boy feels by not understanding what he reads.
(c) The boy's reading of his first book.
(d) The sadness felt by the boy after being forced to read only at night.
5. What do people believe lay below the ruins of Grianan?
(a) The souls of those who did not have a Christian burial.
(b) The souls of those who had disappeared.
(c) The bodies of legendary ancient warriors.
(d) The ghosts of unborn children.
6. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
(a) Put on costumes.
(b) Play in the Field of the Disappeared.
(c) Sing songs.
(d) Put flowers on their parents' graves.
7. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
(a) Their father's brother.
(b) Their brother.
(c) Their mother's sister.
(d) Their grandfather.
8. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
(a) He was in trouble.
(b) He was out wandering at night.
(c) He was being bullied.
(d) He didn't have a ride home.
9. Why does the boy's father hit him in Chapter 3?
(a) The boy tells his father he should be blaming Eddie.
(b) The boy doesn't stop talking.
(c) His father is drunk.
(d) The boy tells his father he hates him.
10. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
(a) His sympathy for the Protestant police.
(b) The book he reads in the dark.
(c) What he finds in his sister's wardrobe.
(d) His mother's depression.
11. What does the boy try to do after his talk with Sergeant Burke in Chapter 3?
(a) To hide in his room.
(b) To talk to his mother.
(c) To talk to his father.
(d) To run away.
12. What color is the light above the graves of Francis and Frances' parents?
13. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
14. What do the boy's parents suggest he should have done instead of involving Sergeant Burke when he was being bullied?
(a) They said he should have just taken the punches.
(b) They said he should have run away.
(c) They said he should have stood up for himself.
(d) They said he should have talked the bully out of fighting.
15. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
(a) Katie McIlhenny.
(b) Aunt Bernadette.
(c) Brigid McLaughlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
2. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
3. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
4. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
5. From which part of the traditions of both Protestants and Catholics does the boy derive excitement?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)