|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the IRA gunmen protesting at the shootout at the distillery?
(a) The prohibition of alcohol.
(b) The shutdown of the distillery.
(c) The death of a policeman.
(d) The founding of Northern Ireland.
2. Who teaches the boy's math class?
(b) His father.
(d) His uncle.
3. Who is Ena?
(a) The boy's grandmother.
(b) The boy's mother's sister.
(c) The boy's sister.
(d) The boy's father's sister.
4. Which of the boy's relatives dies in October 1949?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His sister.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His father.
5. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
6. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
7. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
(a) Katie McIlhenny.
(b) Brigid McLaughlin.
(d) Aunt Bernadette.
8. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
(a) A gun.
(b) A photo album.
(d) A flower.
9. Where does the boy's father work?
(a) The naval base.
(b) The docks.
(c) The distillery.
(d) The police station.
10. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
(a) Billy Mahon.
(b) Neil McLaughlin.
(c) Rory Hannaway.
(d) Brother Regan.
11. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
(c) A pillow.
12. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
(a) He didn't have a ride home.
(b) He was in trouble.
(c) He was being bullied.
(d) He was out wandering at night.
13. What does the boy try to do after his talk with Sergeant Burke in Chapter 3?
(a) To run away.
(b) To talk to his mother.
(c) To talk to his father.
(d) To hide in his room.
14. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
(b) The death of the boy's sister.
(c) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
(d) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
15. When the boy and his brother, Liam, are taken across the river by their father, what does his father's explanation about Eddie reveal to the boy?
(a) The boy knows more than his father knows.
(b) Liam knows more about Eddie's disappearance than does the boy.
(c) His father knows more about Eddie's disappearance than does anyone else.
(d) His father knows nothing of Eddie's disappearance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the priest to call off Larry McLaughlin's wedding?
2. What information about the family secret does the boy know in Chapter 3 that his parents do not know?
3. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
4. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
5. From which part of the traditions of both Protestants and Catholics does the boy derive excitement?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)