|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
(a) Their brother.
(b) Their mother's sister.
(c) Their father's brother.
(d) Their grandfather.
2. How do the boy's father's parents die?
(b) Killed at the shootout at the distillery.
(c) Old age.
(d) An accident.
3. The famous shoot-out in 1922 was between which two groups of people?
(a) The police and the boy's family.
(b) The IRA and the police.
(c) The IRA and the boy's family.
(d) The boy's uncles and the IRA.
4. What do the boy's parents suggest he should have done instead of involving Sergeant Burke when he was being bullied?
(a) They said he should have stood up for himself.
(b) They said he should have talked the bully out of fighting.
(c) They said he should have just taken the punches.
(d) They said he should have run away.
5. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
(a) A missing child.
(b) A gun.
(c) Stolen goods.
(d) A murder suspect.
6. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
7. Who tells the boy's father about Eddie's killing?
(a) Ena and Bernadette.
(d) The boy's mother.
8. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
(a) Bad things happen because people make poor choices.
(b) God's love extends even to those who commit evil deeds.
(c) Only God should judge people and decide their fate.
(d) Action should be taken to prevent further violence.
9. What does Sergeant Burke suggest to the boy as he gives him a ride home?
(a) That the boy's father doesn't know what really happened to Eddie.
(b) That the boy's father is responsible for Eddie's disappearance.
(c) That Eddie was killed.
(d) That Eddie was involved in something dangerous before his disappearance.
10. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
(a) Put on costumes.
(b) Play in the Field of the Disappeared.
(c) Sing songs.
(d) Put flowers on their parents' graves.
11. How does Rory Hannaway die?
(a) Contracted meningitis.
(b) Beaten to death by thieves.
(c) Killed by a reversing lorry.
(d) Drowned in the river.
12. How does the boy describe how he got rid of the infestation in Chapter 3?
(a) He threw burning rags on them.
(b) He flooded the nests.
(c) He hired an exterminator.
(d) He had the dogs eat them.
13. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
(a) The famine of 1740.
(b) The black death of 1348.
(c) The shootout of 1922.
(d) The rebellion of 1798.
14. What causes the priest to call off Larry McLaughlin's wedding?
(a) Larry doesn't want to get married.
(b) Larry isn't ready to get married.
(c) Larry has cheated on this soon-to-be wife.
(d) Larry has become insane.
15. What happens to both Brigid and Larry in Chapter 2?
(a) They have both lost their jobs.
(b) They both cannot see.
(c) They are killed.
(d) They have lost their ability to speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the boys' mother upset when they return from their boat ride across the river?
2. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
3. Where does the boy's father work?
4. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
5. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)