|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
(a) A family friend.
(b) A German sailor.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) A local policeman.
2. What does the boy try to do after his talk with Sergeant Burke in Chapter 3?
(a) To hide in his room.
(b) To run away.
(c) To talk to his mother.
(d) To talk to his father.
3. What happens to both Brigid and Larry in Chapter 2?
(a) They are killed.
(b) They have lost their ability to speak.
(c) They have both lost their jobs.
(d) They both cannot see.
4. What does Crazy Joe say Larry's mysterious woman turns into?
(a) A bird.
(b) A deer.
(c) A butterfly.
(d) A fox.
5. On what day do the Francis and Frances' parents die?
(a) August 11.
(b) September 14.
(c) May 7.
(d) November 21.
6. What information about the family secret does the boy know in Chapter 3 that his parents do not know?
(a) Who killed Eddie.
(b) Who the real informer was.
(c) Where Eddie was killed.
(d) What happened to Tony.
7. What is the first physical change Francis and Frances encounter?
(a) Their hair changes color.
(b) They both change genders.
(c) Their voices switch.
(d) Their reflections in the mirror disappear.
8. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
(a) A flower.
(b) A gun.
(c) A photo album.
9. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
(a) The shootout of 1922.
(b) The famine of 1740.
(c) The black death of 1348.
(d) The rebellion of 1798.
10. What do people believe lay below the ruins of Grianan?
(a) The souls of those who had disappeared.
(b) The souls of those who did not have a Christian burial.
(c) The bodies of legendary ancient warriors.
(d) The ghosts of unborn children.
11. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
(a) She never leaves her house.
(b) She sings the children's song once a year.
(c) She skips wherever she goes.
(d) She pretends the children have never left.
12. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
(a) Cleaning or caning.
(b) Extra homework or cleaning.
(c) Extra homework or caning.
(d) Time out or extra homework.
13. Which section of the library does Crazy Joe frequent?
(a) The literature section.
(b) The history section.
(c) The art section.
(d) The adult section.
14. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
(a) She became sick and died.
(b) She was kidnapped.
(c) She ran away.
(d) She became paralyzed.
15. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
(a) Brother Regan.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) Neil McLaughlin.
(d) A policeman.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
2. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
3. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
4. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
5. What happens to Billy Mahon?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)