|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
2. When the boy and his brother, Liam, are taken across the river by their father, what does his father's explanation about Eddie reveal to the boy?
(a) His father knows nothing of Eddie's disappearance.
(b) The boy knows more than his father knows.
(c) Liam knows more about Eddie's disappearance than does the boy.
(d) His father knows more about Eddie's disappearance than does anyone else.
3. What happens to Billy Mahon?
(a) He is framed for murder.
(b) He is robbed.
(c) He is pushed off the bridge.
(d) He is shot.
4. Which of the boy's relatives dies in October 1949?
(a) His sister.
(b) His father.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His aunt.
5. From which part of the traditions of both Protestants and Catholics does the boy derive excitement?
(a) The singing.
(b) The gathering.
(c) The dancing.
(d) The bonfires.
6. What type of stone chair is hidden in the ruins of Grianan?
(a) A table chair.
(b) A stool.
(c) A throne.
(d) A wishing chair.
7. Where does the boy's father work?
(a) The distillery.
(b) The docks.
(c) The naval base.
(d) The police station.
8. Who is the real informer?
(a) The boy's grandfather.
(b) Tony McIlhenny.
(c) Larry McLaughlin.
(d) Crazy Joe.
9. Why do the boy's father's drinking binges stop between 1920 and 1926?
(a) His father found out about Eddie being an informer in 1926.
(b) His father revealed to his wife who killed Eddie in 1926.
(c) His father found out Eddie was innocent in 1926.
(d) His father found out who killed Eddie in 1926.
10. What are the IRA gunmen protesting at the shootout at the distillery?
(a) The founding of Northern Ireland.
(b) The shutdown of the distillery.
(c) The death of a policeman.
(d) The prohibition of alcohol.
11. Why does the boy's mother lie to Katie about why the boy's father started drinking again?
(a) Because Katie knew nothing about Eddie's disappearance.
(b) Because she would have to reveal that Katie's husband was the informer.
(c) Because she didn't want Katie to know Eddie was the informer.
(d) Because she didn't want to tell Katie that Eddie was executed.
12. What causes the priest to call off Larry McLaughlin's wedding?
(a) Larry isn't ready to get married.
(b) Larry doesn't want to get married.
(c) Larry has cheated on this soon-to-be wife.
(d) Larry has become insane.
13. How old was the boy's father when he was left in charge of the family?
14. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
(a) Only God should judge people and decide their fate.
(b) Action should be taken to prevent further violence.
(c) Bad things happen because people make poor choices.
(d) God's love extends even to those who commit evil deeds.
15. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The death of the boy's sister.
(b) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
(c) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
(d) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, the boy remembers being trapped where?
2. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
3. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
4. After his parents die, Eddie leaves. Where does everyone think he went?
5. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)