|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the boy's grandfather reveal about Eddie in Chapter 3?
(a) Eddie died in a warehouse fire.
(b) Eddie left for America.
(c) Eddie was an informer.
(d) Eddie was set up.
2. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
(a) His mother's unsuccessful suicide attempts caused by her depression.
(b) Stories of the murder trial of 1922.
(c) His treatment by the police.
(d) The death of his sister.
3. When does Tony McIlhenny disappear?
(a) When Katie is pregnant.
(b) When the boy is born.
(c) When Ena dies.
(d) When Una dies.
4. Why do the boy's father's drinking binges stop between 1920 and 1926?
(a) His father found out who killed Eddie in 1926.
(b) His father revealed to his wife who killed Eddie in 1926.
(c) His father found out Eddie was innocent in 1926.
(d) His father found out about Eddie being an informer in 1926.
5. Who tells the boy's father about Eddie's killing?
(b) The boy's mother.
(d) Ena and Bernadette.
6. What information about the family secret does the boy know in Chapter 3 that his parents do not know?
(a) Who the real informer was.
(b) Who killed Eddie.
(c) Where Eddie was killed.
(d) What happened to Tony.
7. What happens to both Brigid and Larry in Chapter 2?
(a) They have lost their ability to speak.
(b) They both cannot see.
(c) They are killed.
(d) They have both lost their jobs.
8. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
(b) The death of the boy's sister.
(c) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
(d) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
9. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
10. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
(a) The evidence was tampered with.
(b) There wasn't enough evidence.
(c) The murder suspect disappeared.
(d) The murder suspect had a proven alibi.
11. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
(b) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
(c) Someone outside will see him.
(d) She senses a ghost nearby.
12. Which section of the library does Crazy Joe frequent?
(a) The literature section.
(b) The adult section.
(c) The history section.
(d) The art section.
13. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
(a) What he finds in his sister's wardrobe.
(b) His mother's depression.
(c) His sympathy for the Protestant police.
(d) The book he reads in the dark.
14. In Chapter 2, the boy remembers being trapped where?
(a) In the church after service.
(b) In the secret passage of Grianan.
(c) In the basement of the distillery.
(d) In his sister's bedroom.
15. What causes the infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
(a) An abandoned house.
(b) A nearby dumping ground.
(c) The swamps.
(d) An abandoned warehouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
2. Which three males are attacked at the end of the chapter?
3. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
4. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
5. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)