|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes the boy feel distinctly uncomfortable in Chapter 1?
(a) His mother's depression.
(b) The book he reads in the dark.
(c) His sympathy for the Protestant police.
(d) What he finds in his sister's wardrobe.
2. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
(a) She never leaves her house.
(b) She skips wherever she goes.
(c) She sings the children's song once a year.
(d) She pretends the children have never left.
3. Who tells the boy's father about Eddie's killing?
(c) The boy's mother.
(d) Ena and Bernadette.
4. What causes the infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
(a) An abandoned house.
(b) A nearby dumping ground.
(c) The swamps.
(d) An abandoned warehouse.
5. How old was the boy's father when he was left in charge of the family?
6. Who is Katie?
(a) The boy's grandmother.
(b) The boy's father's aunt.
(c) The boy's mother's sister.
(d) The boy's sister.
7. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
(a) Extra homework or cleaning.
(b) Extra homework or caning.
(c) Cleaning or caning.
(d) Time out or extra homework.
8. What are the IRA gunmen protesting at the shootout at the distillery?
(a) The death of a policeman.
(b) The founding of Northern Ireland.
(c) The prohibition of alcohol.
(d) The shutdown of the distillery.
9. What type of stone chair is hidden in the ruins of Grianan?
(a) A stool.
(b) A wishing chair.
(c) A table chair.
(d) A throne.
10. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
(a) Neil McLaughlin.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) Brother Regan.
(d) A policeman.
11. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
(a) The Poor Old Woman.
(b) The Bible.
(c) The History of Ireland.
(d) Paradise Lost.
12. What do the boy's parents suggest he should have done instead of involving Sergeant Burke when he was being bullied?
(a) They said he should have just taken the punches.
(b) They said he should have talked the bully out of fighting.
(c) They said he should have run away.
(d) They said he should have stood up for himself.
13. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
(a) To his teacher.
(b) To his father.
(c) To a grave.
(d) To a sick relative's house.
14. What happens to Billy Mahon?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He is robbed.
(c) He is pushed off the bridge.
(d) He is framed for murder.
15. Who is Meave?
(a) The boy's sister.
(b) The boy's niece.
(c) Eddie's daughter.
(d) Katie's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the boy and his brother, Liam, are taken across the river by their father, what does his father's explanation about Eddie reveal to the boy?
2. What do people believe lay below the ruins of Grianan?
3. After his parents die, Eddie leaves. Where does everyone think he went?
4. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
5. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)