|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
(a) A murder suspect.
(b) A gun.
(c) Stolen goods.
(d) A missing child.
2. According to the boy's father, how long has the boy's mother known about Eddie?
(a) Since just after she married the boy's father.
(b) Since just before she married the boy's father.
(c) Since a few years ago.
(d) Since just after the boy was born.
3. What happens that lets the boy know his father isn't upset anymore about the rose bushes?
(a) His father tells him he understands why his son did it.
(b) His father apologizes.
(c) His father smiles at him.
(d) His father comes in and kisses his head.
4. In Chapter 2, the boy remembers being trapped where?
(a) In the secret passage of Grianan.
(b) In the church after service.
(c) In his sister's bedroom.
(d) In the basement of the distillery.
5. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
6. What causes the boy to have nightmares?
(a) The death of his sister.
(b) His treatment by the police.
(c) His mother's unsuccessful suicide attempts caused by her depression.
(d) Stories of the murder trial of 1922.
7. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
(a) The Field of the Disappeared.
8. What novel is the first book the boy has ever read?
(a) <i>The History of Ireland.</i>
(b) <i>Paradise Lost.</i>
(c) <i>The Poor Old Woman.</i>
(d) <i>The Bible.</i>
9. What causes the infestation mentioned in Chapter 3?
(a) An abandoned house.
(b) An abandoned warehouse.
(c) A nearby dumping ground.
(d) The swamps.
10. Which of the boy's relatives dies in October 1949?
(a) His sister.
(b) His aunt.
(c) His father.
(d) His uncle.
11. How does the boy's grandfather die?
(a) An accident.
(b) A stroke.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) Old age.
12. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(b) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(c) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
(d) He is beaten by the police.
13. Who teaches the boy's math class?
(a) His uncle.
(c) His father.
14. What is a specific characteristic of Brigid's behavior after the children disappear?
(a) She skips wherever she goes.
(b) She never leaves her house.
(c) She sings the children's song once a year.
(d) She pretends the children have never left.
15. What is the first physical change Francis and Frances encounter?
(a) Their hair changes color.
(b) Their reflections in the mirror disappear.
(c) They both change genders.
(d) Their voices switch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
2. What happens to Billy Mahon?
3. What does the boy's grandfather reveal about Eddie in Chapter 3?
4. Who is hired to look after the two children, Francis and Frances?
5. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)