|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
(a) To a grave.
(b) To his teacher.
(c) To a sick relative's house.
(d) To his father.
2. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
(a) He didn't have a ride home.
(b) He was out wandering at night.
(c) He was being bullied.
(d) He was in trouble.
3. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
(d) The boy narrator.
4. What does the boy find in the wardrobe of his sister's bedroom?
(b) A gun.
(c) A flower.
(d) A photo album.
5. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
(a) The Poor Old Woman.
(b) The Conflict of Past.
(c) The Land of Poverty.
(d) The Lovely Dark Land.
6. Who is the real informer?
(a) The boy's grandfather.
(b) Larry McLaughlin.
(c) Crazy Joe.
(d) Tony McIlhenny.
7. What happens to the distillery after the shootout?
(a) It floods.
(b) It is rebuilt.
(c) It is shutdown.
(d) It explodes.
8. In what year does the novel begin?
9. How does the boy describe how he got rid of the infestation in Chapter 3?
(a) He had the dogs eat them.
(b) He hired an exterminator.
(c) He threw burning rags on them.
(d) He flooded the nests.
10. According to the boy's father, how long has the boy's mother known about Eddie?
(a) Since just after she married the boy's father.
(b) Since just before she married the boy's father.
(c) Since a few years ago.
(d) Since just after the boy was born.
11. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
(d) A pillow.
12. How does Rory Hannaway die?
(a) Beaten to death by thieves.
(b) Killed by a reversing lorry.
(c) Contracted meningitis.
(d) Drowned in the river.
13. Who is the heroine of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
14. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
15. What do the boy's parents suggest he should have done instead of involving Sergeant Burke when he was being bullied?
(a) They said he should have run away.
(b) They said he should have talked the bully out of fighting.
(c) They said he should have just taken the punches.
(d) They said he should have stood up for himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
2. Why do the boy's father's drinking binges stop between 1920 and 1926?
3. What happens that lets the boy know his father isn't upset anymore about the rose bushes?
4. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
5. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)