|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the light above the graves of Francis and Frances' parents?
2. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is beaten by the police.
(b) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(c) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
(d) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
3. According to the local belief his father told the boy, who gathers at the Field of the Disappeared at Christmas and other festivals?
(a) The souls of those who have not had a Christian burial.
(b) The souls of those who were murdered.
(c) The souls of children who died at a young age.
(d) The souls of orphans.
4. Who is the real informer?
(a) Crazy Joe.
(b) Larry McLaughlin.
(c) Tony McIlhenny.
(d) The boy's grandfather.
5. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
(b) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
(c) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
(d) The death of the boy's sister.
6. Who is Meave?
(a) The boy's sister.
(b) Eddie's daughter.
(c) Katie's daughter.
(d) The boy's niece.
7. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
(a) To a sick relative's house.
(b) To a grave.
(c) To his teacher.
(d) To his father.
8. Where did the shoot-out of 1922 occur?
(a) In the streets.
(b) In the distillery.
(c) In the market.
(d) In the church.
9. From where does the title of the novel get its name?
(a) The sadness felt by the boy after being forced to read only at night.
(b) The boy's reading of his first book.
(c) The confusion the boy feels by not understanding what he reads.
(d) The loneliness of reading alone and the boy's feeling of being alone.
10. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
(a) Time out or extra homework.
(b) Extra homework or cleaning.
(c) Extra homework or caning.
(d) Cleaning or caning.
11. Why does the boy's father hit him in Chapter 3?
(a) The boy tells his father he should be blaming Eddie.
(b) The boy tells his father he hates him.
(c) The boy doesn't stop talking.
(d) His father is drunk.
12. From which part of the traditions of both Protestants and Catholics does the boy derive excitement?
(a) The bonfires.
(b) The singing.
(c) The dancing.
(d) The gathering.
13. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
14. According to the boy's father, how long has the boy's mother known about Eddie?
(a) Since just before she married the boy's father.
(b) Since just after she married the boy's father.
(c) Since just after the boy was born.
(d) Since a few years ago.
15. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
(a) The Field of the Disappeared.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Billy Mahon?
2. Who tells the boy that some families are devil-haunted?
3. What does Sergeant Burke suggest to the boy as he gives him a ride home?
4. On what day do the Francis and Frances' parents die?
5. Who tells the boy's father about Eddie's killing?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)