|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, the boy remembers being trapped where?
(a) In the church after service.
(b) In the secret passage of Grianan.
(c) In his sister's bedroom.
(d) In the basement of the distillery.
2. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(b) He is beaten by the police.
(c) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(d) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
3. What do the boy's parents suggest he should have done instead of involving Sergeant Burke when he was being bullied?
(a) They said he should have just taken the punches.
(b) They said he should have stood up for himself.
(c) They said he should have run away.
(d) They said he should have talked the bully out of fighting.
4. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
(a) The house burn down.
(b) His father leave town.
(c) His mother attempt suicide.
(d) The death of a young boy.
5. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
(c) A pillow.
6. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
(a) He tells stories.
(b) He is missing.
(c) He does not talk.
(d) He wanders.
7. On what day do the Francis and Frances' parents die?
(a) May 7.
(b) November 21.
(c) September 14.
(d) August 11.
8. Where does the boy's father work?
(a) The naval base.
(b) The police station.
(c) The distillery.
(d) The docks.
9. In what year does the novel begin?
10. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
(a) Rain is pouring in from the open window.
(b) She senses a ghost nearby.
(c) The window is broken and glass shards cover the floor.
(d) Someone outside will see him.
11. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
(a) A German sailor.
(b) A local policeman.
(c) A family friend.
(d) His grandfather.
12. When the boy and his brother, Liam, are taken across the river by their father, what does his father's explanation about Eddie reveal to the boy?
(a) His father knows nothing of Eddie's disappearance.
(b) Liam knows more about Eddie's disappearance than does the boy.
(c) His father knows more about Eddie's disappearance than does anyone else.
(d) The boy knows more than his father knows.
13. How old was the boy's father when he was left in charge of the family?
14. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
(a) The Lovely Dark Land.
(b) The Land of Poverty.
(c) The Poor Old Woman.
(d) The Conflict of Past.
15. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
(a) Put flowers on their parents' graves.
(b) Sing songs.
(c) Put on costumes.
(d) Play in the Field of the Disappeared.
Short Answer Questions
1. From which part of the traditions of both Protestants and Catholics does the boy derive excitement?
2. Which section of the library does Crazy Joe frequent?
3. Who is the real informer?
4. What does the boy try to do after his talk with Sergeant Burke in Chapter 3?
5. What happens to Billy Mahon?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)