|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Katie?
(a) The boy's father's aunt.
(b) The boy's sister.
(c) The boy's grandmother.
(d) The boy's mother's sister.
2. What is the subject of most of the songs the Catholics sing on the Feast of Assumption?
(a) The famine of 1740.
(b) The black death of 1348.
(c) The rebellion of 1798.
(d) The shootout of 1922.
3. After his parents die, Eddie leaves. Where does everyone think he went?
(a) He skipped town with his girlfriend.
(b) He enlisted in the IRA.
(c) He went to America.
(d) He went to Grianan.
4. What does the boy's grandfather reveal about Eddie in Chapter 3?
(a) Eddie died in a warehouse fire.
(b) Eddie was set up.
(c) Eddie was an informer.
(d) Eddie left for America.
5. What happens to Billy Mahon?
(a) He is pushed off the bridge.
(b) He is robbed.
(c) He is framed for murder.
(d) He is shot.
6. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
7. What are the IRA gunmen protesting at the shootout at the distillery?
(a) The death of a policeman.
(b) The shutdown of the distillery.
(c) The prohibition of alcohol.
(d) The founding of Northern Ireland.
8. What does the boy try to do after his talk with Sergeant Burke in Chapter 3?
(a) To talk to his mother.
(b) To talk to his father.
(c) To run away.
(d) To hide in his room.
9. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
(a) Billy Mahon.
(b) Neil McLaughlin.
(c) Brother Regan.
(d) Rory Hannaway.
10. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
(a) Their grandfather.
(b) Their brother.
(c) Their mother's sister.
(d) Their father's brother.
11. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
12. In Chapter 2, the boy remembers being trapped where?
(a) In his sister's bedroom.
(b) In the basement of the distillery.
(c) In the secret passage of Grianan.
(d) In the church after service.
13. What does "The Shan Van Vocht" mean?
(a) The Land of Poverty.
(b) The Lovely Dark Land.
(c) The Poor Old Woman.
(d) The Conflict of Past.
14. Who teaches the boy's math class?
(b) His father.
(c) His uncle.
15. Who gives a gun to the boy's father?
(a) A German sailor.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) A local policeman.
(d) A family friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brigid think she is going mad?
2. Who is Billy Mahon?
3. After the incident with the rose bushes, the boy stays in his room for more than a day without what?
4. What is going to be built across the river?
5. According to the boy's father, how long has the boy's mother known about Eddie?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)