|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the boy that some families are devil-haunted?
2. In October of 1952, where is the boy sent to live?
(a) With his grandfather.
(b) With one of his aunts.
(c) With a neighbor.
(d) With one of his uncles.
3. Where are the boy's father's sisters sent to live after the death of their parents?
(a) Their father's brother.
(b) Their grandfather.
(c) Their mother's sister.
(d) Their brother.
4. What do Frances and Francis do every day?
(a) Put flowers on their parents' graves.
(b) Play in the Field of the Disappeared.
(c) Sing songs.
(d) Put on costumes.
5. From which part of the traditions of both Protestants and Catholics does the boy derive excitement?
(a) The bonfires.
(b) The dancing.
(c) The singing.
(d) The gathering.
6. In what year does the novel begin?
7. What key theme of the novel is introduced in Chapter 1?
(a) The conflict between the Catholics and the Protestants.
(b) The disappearance of the boy's uncle.
(c) The death of the boy's sister.
(d) The conflict between the police and the IRA.
8. Where did the shoot-out of 1922 occur?
(a) In the church.
(b) In the distillery.
(c) In the streets.
(d) In the market.
9. What does the boy's father do for a living?
(a) He is a shopkeeper.
(b) He is an electrician.
(c) He is a salesman.
(d) He is a factory worker.
10. Who is the hero of the novel the boy reads in the dark?
11. In Chapter 2, at what time does the grandfather clock strike before it stops for good?
12. When does Tony McIlhenny disappear?
(a) When Katie is pregnant.
(b) When the boy is born.
(c) When Ena dies.
(d) When Una dies.
13. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
(a) The murder suspect had a proven alibi.
(b) There wasn't enough evidence.
(c) The murder suspect disappeared.
(d) The evidence was tampered with.
14. Who is Meave?
(a) The boy's niece.
(b) The boy's sister.
(c) Eddie's daughter.
(d) Katie's daughter.
15. What happens that lets the boy know his father isn't upset anymore about the rose bushes?
(a) His father smiles at him.
(b) His father apologizes.
(c) His father tells him he understands why his son did it.
(d) His father comes in and kisses his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
2. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
3. What does Crazy Joe say Larry's mysterious woman turns into?
4. How old was the boy's father when he was left in charge of the family?
5. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)