|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of stone chair is hidden in the ruins of Grianan?
(a) A throne.
(b) A table chair.
(c) A stool.
(d) A wishing chair.
2. What does Brother Regan teach the boys at the school in December of 1948?
(a) God's love extends even to those who commit evil deeds.
(b) Bad things happen because people make poor choices.
(c) Action should be taken to prevent further violence.
(d) Only God should judge people and decide their fate.
3. In October of 1952, where is the boy sent to live?
(a) With a neighbor.
(b) With his grandfather.
(c) With one of his uncles.
(d) With one of his aunts.
4. In what year does the novel begin?
5. What do the boy's parents suggest he should have done instead of involving Sergeant Burke when he was being bullied?
(a) They said he should have talked the bully out of fighting.
(b) They said he should have stood up for himself.
(c) They said he should have run away.
(d) They said he should have just taken the punches.
6. In what ways are the boys in the math class punished if they do not answer the questions correctly?
(a) Time out or extra homework.
(b) Extra homework or caning.
(c) Cleaning or caning.
(d) Extra homework or cleaning.
7. What is distinct about Larry McLaughlin's character?
(a) He does not talk.
(b) He is missing.
(c) He wanders.
(d) He tells stories.
8. Where does Tony McIlhenny disappear to?
9. Which section of the library does Crazy Joe frequent?
(a) The art section.
(b) The adult section.
(c) The literature section.
(d) The history section.
10. In Chapter 2, the boy remembers being trapped where?
(a) In the basement of the distillery.
(b) In his sister's bedroom.
(c) In the secret passage of Grianan.
(d) In the church after service.
11. Who does the boy find out is responsible for the murder of 1921?
(a) Brother Regan.
(b) A policeman.
(c) Neil McLaughlin.
(d) His grandfather.
12. What happens to the boy when the police come to search the house?
(a) He is told to leave the house so they can search it.
(b) He is taken to the jail for further interrogation.
(c) He is hidden in the attic by his father.
(d) He is beaten by the police.
13. What color is the light above the graves of Francis and Frances' parents?
14. How old was the boy's father when he was left in charge of the family?
15. To whom is Larry McLaughlin related?
(b) The boy narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the boy ride home with Sergeant Burke in the police car?
2. According to the local belief his father told the boy, who gathers at the Field of the Disappeared at Christmas and other festivals?
3. Who teaches the boy's math class?
4. What happened to the boy's sister, Una, in 1948?
5. Where does the boy tell his father in Chapter 2 that he would like to go?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)