Short Answer Key
1. Which two characters are introduced first at the beginning of the novel?
The boy and his mother.
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. In Chapter 1, why doesn't the boy's mother want him to cross by the window at the top of the stairs?
She senses a ghost nearby.
4. In June 1948, what does the boy witness?
The death of a young boy.
5. In 1949, the police arrive at the boy's house in search of what?
6. Why is the murder case of 1921 thrown out of court?
The murder suspect had a proven alibi.
7. In Chapter 1, where does the boy's mother ask him to take flowers?
To a grave.
8. How does Rory Hannaway die?
Killed by a reversing lorry.
9. Who tells the boy about the murder of 1921?
This section contains 2,663 words|
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)